PDA

View Full Version : Question for hd-dvd/blu-ray player owners

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
How much better does an upconverted standard dvd look?

11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
So...

Smokinblues
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't think many people here have them. I still can't decide on whether or not to get the xbox 360 hddvd player.

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
How much better does an upconverted standard dvd look?

Sorry, just saw this.

How much better does it look than what?

Depends on the player, depends on the disc.

Oppo makes a really nice upconverting DVD player that's inexpensive, if that's all you're looking to do. The picture with a quality upconverter in 720p or 1080i is noticeably sharper than it is in 480p.

edit: I'm sure you already know this, but you cannot upconvert an SD-DVD over analog cables if it has DSS protection. That means no upconversion for the 360 addon unless you copy the DVD and strip the protection. The PS3 will not support upconversion of SD-DVD period.

You can upconvert SD-DVD with the 360 if you use the VGA adapter-at least, that's what I'm told. However, you have to do it with the 360s DVD drive, not the HD-DVD drive.

I've got the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player and a Philips POS upconverting DVD player. The picture on an upconverted SD-DVD on the Tosh looks a LOT better than on the Philips.

Now, that being said, an HD-DVD in 1080i or 720p blows the upconverted SD-DVD out of the water. It will also have better channel separation on the digital audio tracks.

11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't think many people here have them. I still can't decide on whether or not to get the xbox 360 hddvd player.

no hdmi, means no Nat.

11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry, just saw this.

How much better does it look than what?

Depends on the player, depends on the disc.

Oppo makes a really nice upconverting DVD player that's inexpensive, if that's all you're looking to do. The picture with a quality upconverter in 720p or 1080i is noticeably sharper than it is in 480p.

edit: I'm sure you already know this, but you cannot upconvert an SD-DVD over analog cables if it has DSS protection. That means no upconversion for the 360 addon unless you copy the DVD and strip the protection. The PS3 will not support upconversion of SD-DVD period.

You can upconvert SD-DVD with the 360 if you use the VGA adapter-at least, that's what I'm told. However, you have to do it with the 360s DVD drive, not the HD-DVD drive.

I've got the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player and a Philips POS upconverting DVD player. The picture on an upconverted SD-DVD on the Tosh looks a LOT better than on the Philips.

Now, that being said, an HD-DVD in 1080i or 720p blows the upconverted SD-DVD out of the water. It will also have better channel separation on the digital audio tracks.

I'm pretty much committed to getting some sort of standalone player in the near future, I just don't know how much better things look when upconverted. The question was born out of wondering what dvd's in my collection I will want to replace.

Thanks for the info

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty much committed to getting some sort of standalone player in the near future, I just don't know how much better things look when upconverted. The question was born out of wondering what dvd's in my collection I will want to replace.

Thanks for the info

Well, let's put it this way:

I already own both an HD-DVD and SD-DVD version of the following:

Batman Begins
V for Vendetta
Happy Gilmore
Serenity
Rattle and Hum
Friday Night Lights

Happy Gilmore was a mistake. :D

Hey, I've got an extra copy of Batman Begins in HD still in the shrink-wrap, by the way. I'll sell it to you supa.cheap. I forgot I pre-ordered it off Amazon, bought it at the store, and then forgot to return it in time.

Toshiba's upconversion algorithms are really good, but upconverted SD-DVD just doesn't compare to HD-DVD. Go down to Best Buy and see if they'll demo for you-they're usually pretty bored in the Magnolia room.

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Just for the record, I'm finally getting around to watching V for Vendetta in HD-DVD right now.

This DVD is something that should be used as the perfect demonstrator of the difference between an SD-DVD and HD-DVD. The black levels in the first scenes is just superb on HD-DVD. The level of detail compared to the SD-DVD is blowing me away.

Watching the destruction of the Old Bailey right now and I'm having a hard time keeping my pants on.