PDA

View Full Version : I humbly submit: CAPOTE IN KANSAS

andeparks
04-30-2005, 05:25 PM
My second ONI Original Graphic Novel, CAPOTE IN KANSAS, is being solicited this month, and I would like to ask you all to consider ordering it. In my own humble opinion, it is better than my first effort, Union Station. It is also blessed with truly remarkable art by a young man named Chris Samnee.

It is about the time Truman Capote spent in Kansas while he worked on his masterpiece, In Cold Blood. It's a fascinating story, and unless I really suck, it's going to make for a good read.

You can check out a little preview at Oni's site:
http://www.onipress.com/graphicnovels/gn.php?id=126 (http://www.onipress.com/graphicnovels/gn.php?id=126)

Thanks all, and forgive me for the shameless promotion. I don't do it often, and I don't do it unless I really believe in something.

Mwah!

Anj

Criden
04-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Ande, I hate you.

I don't have the energy to pimp this out to every comic reader I know, but I know I will anyways... :-/

:D

JABSEN
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
So is it the latesy previews?

Cause I'll add it.Sounds interesting

Ben Rosen
04-30-2005, 06:13 PM
looks great. I'll definitely pick it up.

Ziolko
04-30-2005, 07:14 PM
The mini-comic preview Ande was passing out at Planet Comicon showed a lot of promise. I felt a sort of "Torso" vibe from it, which is high praise indeed. I will definately be buying it and have no problems making the same recommendation to others. :D

AlexMiller
04-30-2005, 07:37 PM
It's good timing too since the remake of In Cold Blood is in the works. I already put my preorder in for this bad boy prior to Andre pimping it here. rock 'n roll

Jamie Howdeshell
04-30-2005, 07:38 PM
that looks very good.

count me in.

andeparks
04-30-2005, 08:00 PM
I do think it's in the latest Previews. I don't know how long it's been out, but I don't believe it's too late.

There are two films being made about Truman's time in Kansas as well. Neither is a remake of In Cold Blood, per se... at least that's what I've read. I don't know how to account for three seperate versions of these events hitting at about the same time, but I swear mine was in the works before I heard od the films! I actually had the idea before Union Station, but I didn't think it was commercial enough. Shows what I know.

Anj

sonnylarue
04-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm all over it Ande .Union Station was great.

You're doing for KC crime, what Max Collins has done for Chicago and the Quad Cities.

Looking forward to this.

Phil Hester
04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Anj, not trying to hijack your thread, but you just got nominated for a Harvey.

Criden
04-30-2005, 09:34 PM
WOW. Congrats.

sonnylarue
04-30-2005, 10:06 PM
and three playmates want to se you at the Grotto, now !

(fuck, the man has massive karma comming his way)

Angel
04-30-2005, 11:50 PM
i saw this in the previews that is due may 14.i put my order in for it today. looks really cool.

here's the previews order# if anyone needs it:
may05 2895

andeparks
05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks a bunch, Angel. I should have had that info!

Anj

CapnChaos
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I went to college in that area for two years... And a kid in my high school class had an uncle that sold the rope to the guys.

Random meaningless trivia... Congrats, guy.

andeparks
07-20-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm bumping to point out that the book should be in stores next week, and has been getting some strong word of mouth... including this lovely review:

http://tinyurl.com/bzspa (http://tinyurl.com/bzspa)

Thanks, and see you all in Chicago. Hester and I will be in artist's alley.

Anj

Shwicaz
07-21-2005, 12:02 AM
My second ONI Original Graphic Novel, CAPOTE IN KANSAS, is being solicited this month, and I would like to ask you all to consider ordering it. Thanks all, and forgive me for the shameless promotion. I don't do it often, and I don't do it unless I really believe in something.

Mwah!

Anj

I pre-ordered this months ago, so you have at least one guaranteed sale.

icemanx62
07-21-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm bumping to point out that the book should be in stores next week, and has been getting some strong word of mouth... including this lovely review:

Anj

I'll check this out next week.

THWIP!
07-21-2005, 03:17 AM
I'll check it out.

Pat Loika
07-21-2005, 04:06 AM

Anj

Great seeing you guys in San Diego, Ande. I'll see you guys in Chicago, and you can count on me to try the book out.

P.

dEnny!
07-21-2005, 04:58 AM

Anj

NEXT WEEK?!?!?!?!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

yeamon
07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
I picked this up at Chicago Comics on North Clark St., Saturday night after the Cub game. Read the preview pages in "Q&C" and was very intrigued. Can't wait to start it tonight. Art looks fantastic.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
it is very good.

now i want to reread Mockingbird.

and maybe try In Cold Blood.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
it is very good.

now i want to reread Mockingbird.

and maybe try In Cold Blood.

In Cold Blood is one of my favorite books.

It's impossible to put down.

Ande, I can't wait to read this. I've been excited since I saw the ad in a Queen & Country comic.

dEnny!
07-31-2005, 06:29 PM
In Cold Blood is one of my favorite books.

It's impossible to put down.

Ande, I can't wait to read this. I've been excited since I saw the ad in a Queen & Country comic.

I think you'll be happy with Ande's story...I was.

dimeshop
07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
I bought it because I heard good things, haven't read it yet.

dEnny!
07-31-2005, 06:54 PM
I bought it because I heard good things, haven't read it yet.

READ IT ALREADY!

Shwicaz
07-31-2005, 07:00 PM
I finished the book today, and I was mighty impressed with it. I liked the portrayal of Capote as both a flawed but determined man. The 'name dropping' in the book was cool (Harper Lee, and a few other authors in the beginning). The ending of the book was very touching, and moved me greatly (I won't give it away).

The artist (whose name escapes me at the moment, much to my embarassment) was excellent, and I enjoyed looking at the ways he illustrated Capote. (I especially liked the way he was depicted at the beginning, sipping his coffee with his pinky up)

check this out gang, I think you might be surprised (in a good way)

dimeshop
07-31-2005, 07:11 PM
READ IT ALREADY!

I will, I will. I'm ~75 hours a week at work right now and I have this AND The Cute Manifesto to get to.

Caley Tibbittz
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
This art is seriously aweaome... I'll pick this up a some point.:D

X arseface X
07-31-2005, 07:38 PM
I finished the book today, and I was mighty impressed with it. I liked the portrayal of Capote as both a flawed but determined man. The 'name dropping' in the book was cool (Harper Lee, and a few other authors in the beginning). The ending of the book was very touching, and moved me greatly (I won't give it away).

The artist (whose name escapes me at the moment, much to my embarassment) was excellent, and I enjoyed looking at the ways he illustrated Capote. (I especially liked the way he was depicted at the beginning, sipping his coffee with his pinky up)

check this out gang, I think you might be surprised (in a good way)
The artist is Chris Samnee, I believe. He is incredible. I just read the 6 preview pages in Q&C and this looks really great.

Ziolko
07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Best book I've read this year. Excellent stuff. I'll have to buy Union Station now. :)

andeparks
07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks, guys... I really appreciate the kind words about the book. I'm glad I logged in tonight, after a few hours of packing everything up to head out to Chicago. I needed a pick me up.

The artist is indeed Chris Samnee. He's fantastic. I have lucked out twice now at Oni, with Eduardo Baretto on Union Station, and Chris on Capote.

See you guys at the show!

Anj

yeamon
08-01-2005, 05:47 AM
I read this last night. I'm going to read it again tonight. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, and this is a worthy entry. By far, the best thing I've read this year. The art has a classical style that matches the material.

And the best thing that can be said about it... I'm going to go back and read "In Cold Blood" again (and rent the Robert Blake movie).

sonnylarue
08-01-2005, 06:53 AM
if you missed the thread before, ande did an audio interview about CAPOTE at my site.

Check it out, it's free.

Phil Hester
08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Parks finally gave me one tonight and I love it. I think I finally detected his genre of choice and it's not crime or historical fiction. His work has so far been about snatching what's worthwhile about humanity from situations that portray what's worthless about humans. Bravo!

St.-
08-02-2005, 05:54 AM
if you missed the thread before, ande did an audio interview about CAPOTE at my site.

Check it out, it's free.

This was pretty cool. defiantly makes me want to pick up the book more now.

Olivier E.
08-02-2005, 06:22 AM
you always can trust this board for good indie recomendations, when you are unsure at the pre-order time, you know when it comes out someone has read it and enjoyed it, you can be sure that you can enjoy it too :D

Christopher E. Long
08-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Ande:

Andy Kuhn and I talked last night about Capote in Kansas, and we both agreed you’re going to win an Eisner with this wonderful book.

Christopher

yeamon
08-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I second the vote for the Eisner. I read it again last night and it was even better.

A tear.

Jamie S. Rich
08-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Ande:

Andy Kuhn and I talked last night about Capote in Kansas, and we both agreed you’re going to win an Eisner with this wonderful book.

Christopher

Nah. It's too good. It'll never happen. :twisted:

andeparks
08-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Bumped to give the folks who bought copies from me in Chicago a chance to chime in.

Thanks to those of you who came up to our table to talk about the book. I had so many really kind comments. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when people say it's a wonderful companion to In Cold Blood.

Best,
Anj

Shane W
08-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Bumped to give the folks who bought copies from me in Chicago a chance to chime in.

Thanks to those of you who came up to our table to talk about the book. I had so many really kind comments. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when people say it's a wonderful companion to In Cold Blood.

Best,
Anj

I picked it up and read through it yesterday, good stuff Ande, worth every penny I spent.

Balthazar
08-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Ande & Phil,

Great to meet you guys. I picked both Union Station and Capote In Kansas up at the con. I've already started on Union Station. Great stuff. I can't wait to get through them both.

And Phil, thanks again for the bathroom sketch. I know it wasn't your greatest moment, but it made my weekend.

JABSEN
08-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Damn,I never posted on the board how much I loved this book.(I did reccommend it i one thread)

Still,it was cool telling you I dug it when you stopped by the NYC Mech guys.

Jamie S. Rich
08-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Do any of you guys here ever post reviews to Amazon? A small bit of comics activism we can all do is if there is a graphic novel we think people should be reading, we can post some quick thoughts to Amazon and give the book a good rating. I did it recently for Bumperboy Loses His Marbles (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0976661004//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20) , for instance.

Capote In Kansas could use some love (and not from me, since I was connected to the book). For that matter, who wants to be the first to review I Was Someone Dead (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932664262//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20) ? :scared:

sonnylarue
08-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Jamie, you are SO right. I'll be doing that later

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
review with be coming shortly

St.-
08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
For that matter, who wants to be the first to review I Was Someone Dead (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932664262//ref=nosim/jinxworld-20) ? :scared:

I'll be getting it soon. :) But I'm a slow reader so don't expect anything soon. ;-)

X arseface X
08-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I picked this up in Chicago and LOVED it. Also, thanks to Mr. Parks for signing my book, and also thanks to Chris Samnee (though he'll probably never see this) for being cool as hell and doing a sweet sketch for me. I couldn't believe how nice that kid was. I hope his future is very bright. Awesome read.

The Rubio
08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
I also picked it up in chicago.
i had seen an ashcan for this a while ago and was looking forward to it. i loved it, my highest compliments to mr. parks and mr. samnee (who i had a great conversation with).
i have begun recommending it to everyone i know, including my parents, who told me about "in cold blood."

Balthazar
08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Just finished reading this last night. Absolutely loved it. Have to go read In Cold Blood now. Great stuff.

Hil
08-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Review - Me Like (http://comics.ign.com/articles/638/638889p1.html)

andeparks
08-21-2005, 02:23 PM
I wanted to drop in to thank Denny for his review at Amazon. I really appreciate it... takes some of the sting out of that annoying paragraph from Publisher's Weekly at the top of the page.

While I'm here, why not try some bribery? Anyone posting a good review at Amazon is welcome to a shot out of my flask next time they see me at a show. I'll even wipe my spit off first.

Anj

dEnny!
08-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I wanted to drop in to thank Denny for his review at Amazon. I really appreciate it... takes some of the sting out of that annoying paragraph from Publisher's Weekly at the top of the page.

While I'm here, why not try some bribery? Anyone posting a good review at Amazon is welcome to a shot out of my flask next time they see me at a show. I'll even wipe my spit off first.

Anj

That Publisher's Weekly review was bogus! I couldn't disagree more with it. You have shown enormous strides in your writing and Samnee's art is beautiful. Take your time, easy to tell everyone apart. I thought the story was very realistic.

Olivier E.
02-22-2006, 06:39 AM
There's a french version,more beautiful and bigger in size(oversize format) than the Oni version, bought it again, will give my Oni GN, to a friend who liked the movie.

It also got great reviews:
http://www.bdgest.com/critique_1319.html

andeparks
02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
So good you bought it twice! Thanks... I was at Angouleme signing the French edition, and Akileos did a fine job with it. They are good guys, and they take their time to get the translation and desing work done right. I've been very lucky with publishers!

That review seems good. I spent a few mintues looking for a button to translate the page for me, but no luck. I'll fill in a bunch of glowing adjectives in my imagination.

Thanks again,
Anj

Taxman
02-22-2006, 07:20 AM
There's a french version,more beautiful and bigger in size(oversize format) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Custom%20Gifs/KubiakinSF3.gif

Jacob Lyon Goddard
02-22-2006, 07:22 AM
so what's next?

andeparks
02-22-2006, 07:55 AM
For me or Kubiak?

Well, I can't speak for Kubiak, but I'm working on a couple of writing things... but slowly. Neither is historical fiction. I will return to that, but I want to surprise people a little. I don't want to settle into being "the historical fiction guy".

Anj

Jacob Lyon Goddard
02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
For me or Kubiak?

Well, I can't speak for Kubiak, but I'm working on a couple of writing things... but slowly. Neither is historical fiction. I will return to that, but I want to surprise people a little. I don't want to settle into being "the historical fiction guy".

Anj
there are much much worse things to be in this industry

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
02-22-2006, 08:12 AM
I picked up Capote in Kansas on a whim the other day. I thought it was great. It was a well told, concise story that still managed to carry emotional impact.

Taxman
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
For me or Kubiak?

Well, I can't speak for Kubiak, but I'm working on a couple of writing things...Up next for Kubiak . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Board%20Photos/KubiakMardiGras.jpg

mardi gras!

Angel of Distraction
02-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Up next for Kubiak . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Board%20Photos/KubiakMardiGras.jpg

mardi gras!

Rubber ducky, you're the one
Making bathtime lots of fun

dimeshop
06-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I just weanted to bump this thread because I reread this the other day. So freaking good.

jason hissong
06-30-2006, 10:46 PM
For suire.

THWIP!
07-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I loved this book. If you liked Ande's writing you should also check out Union Station, that is a great read as well.

sonnylarue
07-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Ande has more than proven himself as a writer with his first two GN's , and I look forward to his next story.

Flonk
07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I just weanted to bump this thread because I reread this the other day. So freaking good.

Yes. Yes it is.

Michael John Wheeler
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I had never heard of Capote before the movie, which is one of my favourite movies. I've never heard about this book either, but I'll definitely pick it up the next chance I get (which won't be for a while).

andeparks
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the bump, guys. Michael, be sure to lemme know how you liked it.

Thanks also for the faith, Sonny... I'll soon have two new projects to announce. I'm excited!

Anj

andrew french
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
ah, i still need to get this. i have the money.

i want to be able to read it along with In Cold Blood.

Flonk
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
ah, i still need to get this. i have the money.

i want to be able to read it along with In Cold Blood.

Today, I bought In Cold Blood because of the comic. I'll see the movie later

andrew french
07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Today, I bought In Cold Blood because of the comic. I'll see the movie later

cool.

i also have the dvd waiting for me, but, like you said, that's later.