PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone watch 'The O.C.' anymore?

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
the reason I ask is because I saw this on Cnn.com

Fox's season premiere of "The O.C.," the once-popular prime-time drama, was seen by an alarmingly low 3.4 million people, ranking No. 98 on Nielsen's list last week. It's hurt by being in a brutal Thursday time slot, but those numbers indicate its fans have clearly moved on.

I remember everyone used to talk about it so much, but i dont' think i heard a peep (of course, I may have missed it if someone did a thread on it)

JABSEN
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I watched it.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Apparently not.

Mischa leaving the show alienated a lot of the base, too.

Dark Sasha
11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
The show started to suck when Allan Heinberg left.

Coach
11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I think they lost a lot of fans over the course of last year. Storylines were silly. Not nearly as compelling as 1st and 2nd season.

Coach
11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
The show started to suck when Allan Heinberg left.

I second that.

ihategravity
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
THe 2nd season was meh at best, and the 3rd season extremely snooze inducing.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Apparently not.

For me, that'd be more reason to watch it.

Magnum V.I.
11-08-2006, 02:00 PM
It started to suck on August 5th 2003....

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Once the skull on a stick was killed off, the fanboys left, I guess...

- B

CraigM
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Well, I think the fact that forty million people watch C.S.I. and Grey's Anatomy hurt it more than anything. They're moving it to Wednesday's, starting with tonight. However, until next week I wouldn't expect it to get good ratings.

The quality of the show has started to go back up in the first two episodes though.

Craig

Jonny Z
11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
there was a thread about the show the night of the premiere.

i enjoyed it. theyre thinking of moving it to wednesday where its not up against grey's anatomy.

Masculine Todd
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Seeing as how I'm not a 16 year old girl (being a 19 year old gay man makes me the next best thing though), I don't watch it. I know, I'm just weird like that. ;-)

Gavin
11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I think I saw 10 minutes of an episode once, but I never got into it.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 02:23 PM

But you're still not, now are you?

For the core audience(teenage girls and perverted twenty-somethings), that only made the show less appealing. I don't care to see Ryan hit rock bottom again, damnit. :mad:

JABSEN
11-08-2006, 02:25 PM

For the core audience(teenage girls and perverted twenty-somethings), that only made the show less appealing. I don't care to see Ryan hit rock bottom again, damnit. :mad:It was pretty good actually. The Johnny stuff got really lame last year

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Same here.

I can't stand that kid that plays her sister, though.

Gene Reginato
11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Once the skull on a stick was killed off, the fanboys left, I guess...

- B

I believe the ratings would be higher now if they had killed her sooner. Too much of the show was about her last season (she doesn't have the range for that) and a lot of people I know left because of that.

Simps
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM

For the core audience(teenage girls and perverted twenty-somethings), that only made the show less appealing. I don't care to see Ryan hit rock bottom again, damnit. :mad:
I think you're overgeneralizing. I was happy to see her gone, so were the people I watch it with.

Simps
11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
the reason I ask is because I saw this on Cnn.com

I remember everyone used to talk about it so much, but i dont' think i heard a peep (of course, I may have missed it if someone did a thread on it)
I would imagine that fans who were burned by the sub-par 3rd season weren't exactly excited to tune in for the new season, despite the first 2 episodes of this season being markedly better than the show has been in a while. Hopefully the buzz will get out there that the show is getting better again (and maybe a new timeslot), and more people will tune in.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
It was pretty good actually. The Johnny stuff got really lame last year

That was just another in a long run of bad pseudoromantic interests they introduced to keep the main characters apart. Just about every teen show seems to have them, and it's really annoying.

Patton
11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
It started to suck on August 5th 2003....

Nice.

Patton
11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I just want anyone who liked Season 1 or 2, but hated 3 (like myself) 4 is off to a good start and I've heard from 3-4 critics that by episode 4 it's the old OC again, quality-wise.

It was hard for me to beleive it could be good because it was missing one thing that I loved which was Heinberg, but it's good.

james michael
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
dont call it that...

ImYrWoodbury
11-08-2006, 05:17 PM
dont call it that...

Oh, I applaud you. I just do.

Billie
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Season 1 and 2 were the best.1 was the superior of the two,but season 2 was essential in terms of loose ends being tied up and things being followed thru.

Bill?
11-08-2006, 07:16 PM
it kind of jumped the shark at the end of last season.

THWIP!
11-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I stopped 8 episodes into the third season and struggled to finish the second.

InBendiswetrust
11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm still watching it. I just hope Ryan never hits Seth. In which case, I'm stepping. Supernatural is on at the same time. I can't decide which one is better. Which one I would keep watching if my tivo broke? those kinds of questions.

Patton
11-08-2006, 07:25 PM
It's weird how people that hated season 3 are unwilling to give it another chance. If a new writer took over a book you used to like or if an old writer came back to the book you might give it a chance right?

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Hope it stays on. I cant stand Greys anatomy tho. bleh.

Icaruss
11-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Season 3 was pretty dumb. With the suicidal surfer stuff, and then the guy (Volchok wasn't it?) who comes off out of nowhere, and ends up killing Marissa.

What. The. Fuck.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Season 3 was pretty dumb. With the suicidal surfer stuff, and then the guy (Volchok wasn't it?) who comes off out of nowhere, and ends up killing Marissa.

What. The. Fuck.

I know. Even tho the actress didnt want to do the OC anymore, I dont think they had to kill her to get rid of her.

Len Ford
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Apparently not.

I kinda liked that they got rid of her character. There was basically nowhere left for her to go. Rather than see the show go through Ryan and Marissa together, then broken up, then back together and all that drama that spins out of that, they can now move on to other things. The whole thing with her and other guys was also getting played out (Oliver and Johnny) and there are only so many ways that she can screw up her life. I just don't think she was a very likeable character and the show could be better off now (atleast in terms of storylines). After last season's suckfest, this new season is off to a pretty good start.

Vonn Hennigar
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm watching it and i loved last weeks premiere(Well aside from Ryan - Underground Cage Fighter).

Marissa's character was an anchor on the show last year and Mini-Coop is a great substitute. Not to mention it opens up more screen time for Summer and the great Taylor Townsend which can only mean more great things.

But for the love of god please no more One Season Only characters!!!!
I'm tired of it! From Charlotte,Johnny and Sadie last year to Alex,Lindsay and Zach to Hailey,Oliver and Anna. it just goes on and on and on!

Some of them are great and interesting characters but the nonsensical ways they have to be written out of the show is nauseating.

Stick to the core this year and they have a chance to have a season 5.

dEnny!
11-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Nope.

Adam Beranek
11-09-2006, 05:43 AM
I watch it for the Summer and Seth stuff. The other stuff is kinda filler for me.