PDA

View Full Version : Bush lies transcript.

RebootedCorpse
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Red-fucking-handed
QUESTION: Last week you told us that Secretary Rumsfeld would be staying on. Why is the timing right now for this? And how much does it have to do with the election results?

BUSH: Right.

No, you and Hunt and Kyle (ph) came in the Oval Office and you asked -- Hunt asked me the question one week before the campaign, and basically it was: You going to do something about Rumsfeld and the vice president? And my answer was, you know, they're going to stay on.

And the reason why is I didn't want to inject a major decision about this war in the final days of a campaign.

And so the only way to answer that question and to get you onto another question was to give you that answer.

The truth of the matter is, as well -- I mean, that's one reason I gave the answer. But the other reason why is I hadn't had a chance to visit with Bob Gates yet, and I hadn't had my final conversation with Don Rumsfeld yet, at that point.

I have been talking with Don Rumsfeld over a period of time about fresh perspective. He likes to call it "fresh eyes." He, himself, understands that Iraq is not working well enough, fast enough.

BUSH: And he and I are constantly assessing, and I'm assessing, as well, all the time, by myself, about: Do we have the right people in the right place with the right strategy? As you know, we're constantly changing tactics. And that requires constant assessment.

And so he and I both agreed in our meeting yesterday that it was appropriate that I accept his resignation. And so, the decision was made -- actually, I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know. But I thought we were going to be fine in the election.

My point to you is that, win or lose, Bob Gates was going to become the nominee.

later...

QUESTION: Mr. President, thank you.

Can I just start by asking you to clarify, sir, if in your meeting with Steve and Terry and Dick, did you know at that point...

BUSH: I did not.

QUESTION: ... you would be making a change on Secretary Rumsfeld?

BUSH: No, I did not. And the reason I didn't know is because I hadn't visited with his replacement -- potential replacement.

QUESTION: But you knew he would be leaving, just not who would replace him?

BUSH: No, I didn't know that, at the time.

QUESTION: OK. May I ask you about Nancy Pelosi...

BUSH: The other thing I did know, as well, is that that kind of question, a wise question by a seasoned reporter...

(LAUGHTER)

... is the kind of thing that causes one to either inject major military decisions at the end of a campaign or not. And I had made the decision that I wasn't going to be talking about hypothetical troops levels or changes in command structure coming down the stretch.

And I'll tell you why I made that decision. I made that decision because I think it sends a bad signal to our troops if they think the commander in chief is constantly adjusting tactics and decisions based upon politics. And I think it's important in a time of war that, to the extent possible, we leave politics out of the major decisions being made.

And it was the right decision to make, by the way.

BUSH: And secondly, I hadn't visited with Bob Gates. I told you, I visited with him last Sunday in Crawford. You can't replace somebody until you know you've got somebody to replace him with.

And, finally, I hadn't had my last conversation with Secretary Rumsfeld, which I had yesterday.

Thommy Melanson
11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Yep.

Caught that during the live broadcast on NPR and later on TV.

I don't think he even knows what the truth is anymore.

It's like trying to find one specific lie in a liestack.

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
You get what you want, and you're still not happy...

- B

GelfXIII
11-08-2006, 02:05 PM

- B

It's a small first step towards what we want.

RebootedCorpse
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM

- B

I'm de-fucking-lighted.

TIP
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Man...remember when he was a better liar?

T

Thommy Melanson
11-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Man...remember when he was a better liar?

T

Ahhh....the good old days of WMDs in Iraq and "Mission Accomplished".

Skatonic10
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
actually, I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know

you can say that again

joespam
11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Actually, I find his answer (which boiled down to "of course I lied, and here's why") to be quite satisfactory.

What's to be upset about? It's how the game is played.

The real question is, would Rumsfeld be resigning if the GOP hadn't recieved such a 'thumping?' I'd love to peek into the parallel universe where people didn't vote the bums out and know the answer to that one.

BrianS
11-08-2006, 03:12 PM

- B

How many people died in Iraq in the past week? Bush is busy playing politics instead of doing the right thing for our men & women in the armed forces.

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
How many people died in Iraq in the past week? Bush is busy playing politics instead of doing the right thing for our men & women in the armed forces.

broken record...

- B

Jamie Howdeshell
11-08-2006, 03:28 PM
broken record...

- B

stop being a sore loser.

:lol:

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
stop being a sore loser.

Where were you last night, man? It was fun around here.

Mr. E!
11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
broken record...

- B

But does that make him wrong?

mario
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Actually, I find his answer (which boiled down to "of course I lied, and here's why") to be quite satisfactory.

The real question is, would Rumsfeld be resigning if the GOP hadn't recieved such a 'thumping?' I'd love to peek into the parallel universe where people didn't vote the bums out and know the answer to that one.

of course he wouldn't. "Stay the course", right.
I think Bush had to sacrifice Rummy not because of the Democrats but to quell a sort of revolt from disgruntled, and now unemployed republican congressmen

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I see no problem with Bush not informing reporters last week of Rumsfeld leaving this week. Announcements are made when the time is right, not when a reporter asks a question. Policy isn't dictated by reporters.

Marvel and DC know what is going on months before they tell comic readers. If I asked a question about something that they weren't ready to announce I seriously doubt they would confirm my question nailed it. And I thought you had no problem with your President's lying anyway. ;)

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM

And those soldiers would have died regardless of the announcement that Rumsfeld was stepping down.

Stark Raving
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
broken record...

- B
I'm sure their families see it differently.

BURKE
11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I have been saying it from day one, and now say it with even more passion...............fuck bush, thats all its good for.

Thudpucker
11-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Does seem like a small matter. The important think is Rumsfield is gone. Not that I have any faith in Bush's ability choose a competent replacement but I do have hope.

Jamie Howdeshell
11-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Where were you last night, man? It was fun around here.

played some neverwinternights 2 and watched midterm midtacular.

i didn't say much cause i didn't want to jinx anything.

got home from work tonight to find that the dems probably have the senate and that rummy was fired.

it's been a good good day.

:D

sonnylarue
11-08-2006, 04:48 PM
1.Actually, I find his answer (which boiled down to "of course I lied, and here's why") to be quite satisfactory.

2. The real question is, would Rumsfeld be resigning if the GOP hadn't recieved such a 'thumping?' I'd love to peek into the parallel universe where people didn't vote the bums out and know the answer to that one.

1. I agree. Come on, no politician will show his cards so close to an election, if the decision may hurt him.

2. I actually think Rummy's dismissal would have still happened if the GOP had lost fewer seats, given the 1- 2 punch combination of the backlash to Bush's comment about Rummy staying till the end of Bush's term, and the military paper's editorials about the "lack of confidence" in Rummy.

joespam
11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
1. I agree. Come on, no politician will show his cards so close to an election, if the decision may hurt him.I wonder also, if Bush had thrown Rumsfeld to the wolves BEFORE the election, would more Republicans have retained their seats?

The logic there being that Bush would be indicating a major shift in accepting responsibility, the lack of which was a big factor in how the vote went, I think.

2. I actually think Rummy's dismissal would have still happened if the GOP had lost fewer seats, given the 1- 2 punch combination of the backlash to Bush's comment about Rummy staying till the end of Bush's term, and the military paper's editorials about the "lack of confidence" in Rummy.Probably true, but I'd love to know what the cutoff point for Bush still thinking he had a mandate and could continue on like he has would've been.

Modok Gas
11-08-2006, 06:44 PM

The answer is in the parallel universe for Marvel Two-in-One #100:

http://jean.racaud.free.fr/vo/marveltwoinone/100.jpg

mlpeters
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I see no problem with Bush not informing reporters last week of Rumsfeld leaving this week. Announcements are made when the time is right, not when a reporter asks a question. Policy isn't dictated by reporters.

Marvel and DC know what is going on months before they tell comic readers. If I asked a question about something that they weren't ready to announce I seriously doubt they would confirm my question nailed it. And I thought you had no problem with your President's lying anyway. ;)

Would Marvel or DC outright LIE about something they weren't ready to announce (rather than side-stepping or "no-comment"ing?) If so, don't you think it would be right to call them on it?

Personally, as a general rule, I'm not okay with presidents lying -- though it's forgivable if merely about their personal life and doesn't result in the deaths of thousands of American soldiers and thousands more foreign civilians.