PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lee on his delays

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
It was good to see him accepting the blame. I esp liked this quote:

That said, issue #2 will ship before March. Exactly when depends on when Grant Morrison and I get it finished but it would be pretty sad if it took that long. It's comics, not the Great Pyramid. Your average comic should take a month to do, give or take a week. Becoming more efficient and for lack of a better word, more ruthless, with my time and commitments is the only solution.
I still wish delays weren't so common these days. I can see a week here and there, but all of these regular delays are starting to pick at me.

More on newsarama (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=90408)

Olivier E.
11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry but i don't believe this, what's the purpose of rushing things, so that 3 can be late again

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
one of the posters in that thread (Andrew T) made a very good point.

I will reprint it here:

When I was a kid, I wouldn't have cared. I was one of the guys who waited a year for Camelot 3000 #12. But as I get older, comics are becoming less of a priority. I'm buying less because the quality for many of the stories are just not as good. And with all these chronic delays, I've been able to forget more and more regular titles each time I visit the shop.

I notice that I do that, too. One a book 'falls off my radar', it falls completely off my radar. some I put up with (Stray Bullets) so that makes me a hypocrite, then again, it's not like they have been soliciting issues for it, like they have for the DC/Wildstorm books.

I think the fact that as people do get older, their money goes elsewhere. A late book from any company may not just result in someone not picking up that issue immeidiately...it may result in them dropping the title entirely.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree with that. Out of site, out of mind. When something is great and is on your mind alot, you will stick around for it. But once you accept that you can, in fact, live without it, it is harder to jump back into the rush of wanting it again.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-08-2006, 12:35 PM
that's a pretty inspiring quote from Jim Lee. I wonder if I could do a comic book in 4 weeks....I probably could.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
that's a pretty inspiring quote from Jim Lee. I wonder if I could do a comic book in 4 weeks....I probably could.

....but can he....?

:twisted:

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Isn't 4 weeks the normal expected time to draw a comic assuming everything goes smoothly?

Ethan Van Sciver
11-08-2006, 12:42 PM
....but can he....?

:twisted:

Yeah! I think Jim Lee stops to enjoy life every couple of years and falls off track, but he's usually amazingly reliable, and his work always looks cool. SUPERMAN came out on time, didn't it?

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah! I think Jim Lee stops to enjoy life every couple of years and falls off track, but he's usually amazingly reliable, and his work always looks cool. SUPERMAN came out on time, didn't it?

don't know.

didn't read it.

(not a big Supes fan)

Ethan Van Sciver
11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Isn't 4 weeks the normal expected time to draw a comic assuming everything goes smoothly?

Yes and no. It isn't for me, because they know I take two months, so they plan accordingly. For the 52 guys, most certainly, and some have to go faster. Everyone has their own speed.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Yes and no. It isn't for me, because they know I take two months, so they plan accordingly. For the 52 guys, most certainly, and some have to go faster. Everyone has their own speed.

That must be amazing, trying to orgazine all those artists.

I don't know how DC has done it and managed to keep it on time.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Ah. Are your books bi-monthly?

I can understand it a whole lot more if there are two artists that rotate like how Cap was there for a while, or if they just state the book will be bi-monthly(kinda like on WW). It just gets old for me, the reader, when there are delays just trickled throughout everything I read.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Ah. Are your books bi-monthly?

I can understand it a whole lot more if there are two artists that rotate like how Cap was there for a while, or if they just state the book will be bi-monthly(kinda like on WW). It just gets old for me, the reader, when there are delays just trickled throughout everything I read.

I agree. It's an epidemic now, too. Everyone is competing trying to produce amazing books, and it's killing deadlines.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:49 PM
That must be amazing, trying to orgazine all those artists.

I don't know how DC has done it and managed to keep it on time.

Yes it is. I bought the first 2 issues and my best friend has been getting them since. I am going to borrow them when he comes down for Thanksgiving and I will read the rest once it is done. My hat is off to DC for pulling that series together. It will probably go down as another wonder of the world if it finishes without delays.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I agree. It's an epidemic now, too. Everyone is competing trying to produce amazing books, and it's killing deadlines.

Yeah, like you said, as long as the artists and the management are honest with each other and know what is accomplishable from the beginning, plans and deadlines canbe put in place. I, the consumer, appreciate and will be happier to know up front that a book will not be monthly and will be out every other month or so, if they state that up front.

Another way to look at it is that I know how fast I can turn code in. If I fail to meet my manager's expectations, I get punished. This is the case with just about everything in life. Life does happen, you know and we are all understanding of that. But life seems to happen quite a bit more in comics.:)

wholaughslast
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
i thought that was a decent interview, i mean he does seem sincere about his lateness and apology. But i think its still no excuse. I mean we all know ASB&R has some of the worst damn writing Frank Miller has ever done, this book is seriously straight up atrocious but because it comes out so infrequent i can afford to buy it. But i also agree with Ron saying that people who are a bit older then me who don't frequent a shop as much it will fall completely off their radar. I kinda feel the same way about Powers sometimes. Its schedule is so out of control that i forget about it. Nothing bugs me more then when i pick up a book that has been more then 2 months late and there is no recap page and i have no fucking idea whats going on.

Doug
11-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I applaud Jim Lee for taking this like a man. He knows he's late, and he's not making excuses. He's putting the blame squarley on himself.

Having said that, he's become a wait for the trade artist to me. I'll continue buying ASBARTBW until this arc is over, because I've already invested in 4 issues, but Wildcats is a title I'm going to get in trades (and I love Grant Morrison).

Guirk the Thudner
11-08-2006, 01:22 PM
See I don't know if I agree that he's being such a stand up guy. I mean I'm willing to cut a guy slack if he's having personal problems or whatever, and I don't expect artists to be machines, but at what point is he to blame for taking the load himself? I mean he did those last few pages of Capt Atom Armagedon months and months ago. He knowingly took on Wildcats when he hadn't been able to keep up on ASB&R, and tied his entire "Worldstorm" relaunch to it. He claims these are his dream projects, but until he actually puts his money where his mouth is and draws some damn books than all these words are just words.

As far as owning up, it seems like every apollogy is just a veiled way to keep his books on reader's radars. He MUST have spend more time doing Wizard features on Bats and Robin than he did drawing, or else we'd be at issue 5 already.

Or maybe I'm just tired of customers asking where that damn issue is.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 01:23 PM

I gotta say, that doesn't sound all bad.

jason hissong
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Maybe a movement to more magazine/anthology type comics and ogns is a way to avoid these type of monthly deadlines.

Imagine: Ninety pages of Jim Lee four times a year or something.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Maybe a movement to more magazine/anthology type comics and ogns is a way to avoid these type of monthly deadlines.

I could go for that. But like I said before, as long as all parties involved are honest with themselves and their higher-ups, decisions can be made in advance. The simple fact that some people take on too much and end up causing delays is just unnessicary. If you know you can only put X amount of work in X amount of time, don't try to take on more than that.

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 01:31 PM

I'm having a hard time imagining 90 pages of Jim Lee art once a year, at this point...

- B

Kefky
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I respect Jim Lee for coming out in the open like this, and completely taking the blame for the delays. I also appreciate his honesty.

That said, his reasoning just doesn't wash with me. You DON'T edit an entire line of comics, work on an online RPG, and draw freaking two books all the same time. It's insanity, and he never should never have attempted it in the first place. As far as I'M concerned, his art just isn't worth this ridiculous wait. Either he gets his shit straight next year, or I'm gonna have to drop wildcats, which would be downright depressing since I'm putting a lot of faith on that book.

This isn't difficult. He needs to choose which job he wants to stick with. As of now, he's just dicking us around with that selfish attitude.

jason hissong
11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I respect Jim Lee for coming out in the open like this, and completely taking the blame for the delays. I also appreciate his honesty.

That said, his reasoning just doesn't wash with me. You DON'T edit an entire line of comics, work on an online RPG, and draw freaking two books all the same time. It's insanity, and he never should never have attempted it in the first place. As far as I'M concerned, his art just isn't worth this ridiculous wait. Either he gets his shit straight next year, or I'm gonna have to drop wildcats, which would be downright depressing since I'm putting a lot of faith on that book.

This isn't difficult. He needs to choose which job he wants to stick with. As of now, he's just dicking us around with that selfish attitude.

Fuck that. We're not entitled to Jim Lee anything. We don't run his life. The man can do whatever he damn well pleases. It's his life and his career.

And don't cry about "but he's said he's going to do these two monthly books" bullshit. Fine. But circumstances change. Things happen.

We're not entitled to anything from him. And if you don't like it, don't buy his books.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Fuck that. We're not entitled to Jim Lee anything. We don't run his life. The man can do whatever he damn well pleases. It's his life and his career.

And don't cry about "but he's said he's going to do these two monthly books" bullshit. Fine. But circumstances change. Things happen.

We're not entitled to anything from him. And if you don't like it, don't buy his books.

If he can't do one of his jobs properly, then he should fucking quit. I'm not even reading one of the books because of him, and I have to put with this shit because of fucking "pride of ownership"? :-?

He's just being a primadonna. I'm not gonna support that.

jason hissong
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
If he can't do one of his jobs properly, then he should fucking quit. I'm not even reading one of the books because of him, and I have to put with this shit because of fucking "pride of ownership"? :-?

He's just being a primadonna. I'm not gonna support that.

then don't support it. do you do his jobs? then how do you know he can't do one of his jobs properly?

Mister Mets
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I hope he does a lot better in 2007 than he did in 2006.

That said it may be a wise idea for him to delay Wildcats #2 until the book can be put on some sort of regular schedule, and to finish All-Star Batman & Robin, so another A-list talent (* cough cough* Neal Adams) can take over for the next arc.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
then don't support it.

Hey, I said I wouldn't. :-? Just giving the guy a last chance since I believe him when he says he's not just being lazy.

do you do his jobs? then how do you know he can't do one of his jobs properly?

If he's not drawing the books at a reasonable pace, then he's not doing his job properly. He says he can do a page a day if he wants to, but he can't because he's too busy with his other jobs. Which is reasonable, since he's only human.

rcerow
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
What I don't get is, with limited series or limited runs on a book, before they solicit, why don't companies at this point wait for the books to be completely finished before sending out the first issue? It seems like there are an awful lot of delays that could be avoided, especially with books like Dardevil: The Target that have little to nothing to do with current continuity and could essentially come out at anytime. I'd rather wait longer in the beginning, and then know I'll be able to pick one up a month and have the story finish in a timely fashion. But maybe I just don't understand the economics of comics.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
What I don't get is, with limited series or limited runs on a book, before they solicit, why don't companies at this point wait for the books to be completely finished before sending out the first issue? It seems like there are an awful lot of delays that could be avoided, especially with books like Dardevil: The Target that have little to nothing to do with current continuity and could essentially come out at anytime. I'd rather wait longer in the beginning, and then know I'll be able to pick one up a month and have the story finish in a timely fashion. But maybe I just don't understand the economics of comics.

I imagine Jim told them he could pull it off and they just his word for it.

Gavin
11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
It's good that he's being upfront about this, but he should have known he couldn't do two books at once when ASB&R was as late as it was. I know he'd been planning on Wildcats for a while, but if you're pretty late with one book, odds are you're not going to improve by adding another book.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Word 'round the campfire is the delay is Frank Miller. Sure, I know what Jim says, I read the interview. DC wants Batman to be his priority seeing how he's exclusive and all...not to mention Jim wants to keep Frank happy. Sorry, but I think that if the scripts were there DC would have gotten some other superstar to illustrate it. Neal Adams, Art Adams...somebody... I'm saying the EXTREMELY busy Frank Miller hasn't turned in the scripts... :mistrust: I mean the guy banged out 12 issues of Batman near-monthly and 12 Superman books damn-near monthly...and he had a HUGE lead time on the book (it was announced 6 months in advance)! I'm not wanting to break balls, I just think it's a drag Lee has to take the hit for Miller.

DonalB
11-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Great answer from Jim. He gets my respects. I wish all artists felt the same way but with all these next gen consoles and the new nVidia graphis cards and other products coming out I really doubt anything will change except the level of lameness used for excuses.