PDA

View Full Version : Arizona DEFEATS gay marriage ban

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow!

A state actually DEFEATED one of these things?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/ballot.measures/

Congratulations to our Arizona posters for not being, you know, assholes.

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Would have thought this would get more run.

NickBurgess
11-08-2006, 10:47 AM
WOO! Good job, AZ. I think this is the first time this has happened.

changingshades
11-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm personally amazed since AZ is known as a republican state, but of course so is Indiana and it has twice as many Dem Congressmen now as republican.

Ryan Elliott
11-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes!

Keith P.
11-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Its because Phoenix has more fruit than the produce aisle.

Blake Sims
11-08-2006, 01:35 PM

that was funny

DrMachine
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm very happy to see these particular results.

stevapalooza
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Hmmm..come to think of it Mel never did kiss Flo's grits.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 01:38 PM
but what does this mean, exactly?

does this mean that AZ will recognize homosexual marriages from Massachusetts (unlike other states)?

Albert
11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Wow!

A state actually DEFEATED one of these things?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/ballot.measures/

Congratulations to our Arizona posters for not being, you know, assholes.

Hey, thanks man. We also rose the minimum wage, passed an animal rights proposition and banned smoking in all public places!

Of course we also stripped illegal immigrants of several basic human rights and voted down conservation laws...

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
but what does this mean, exactly.

does this mean that AZ will recognize homosexual marriages from Massachusetts (unlike other states)?

Nope.

Like the others, this was a constitutional amendment to pre-emptively exclude gay marriages. Shooting it down just keeps the question open.

Albert
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Nope.

Like the others, this was a constitutional amendment to pre-emptively exclude gay marriages. Shooting it down just keeps the question open.

Yeah. Which is why it's like, sort of encouraging, but it's still not recognized here.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Nope.

gotcha.

thanks.

NickT
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
but what does this mean, exactly?

From canada.com (I forgot to get the URL):

Arizona bucked a strong national trend by refusing to change its constitution to define marriage as a one-man, one-woman institution. The measure also would have forbidden civil unions and domestic partnerships.

"We knew all along that once voters were informed about the true impact . . . they would oppose this hurtful initiative," said Steve May, treasurer for Arizona Together, which organized opposition to the measure. "They made the right decision."

A total of eight states voted on amendments to ban gay marriage: Colorado, Idaho, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin approved them. Similar amendments have passed previously in all 20 states to consider them.

Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, noted that the bans that succeeded won by much narrower margins, on average, than in the past.

He said it was a sign that "fear-mongering around same-sex marriage is fizzling out."
I don't know if that answered you, but it's the best I found.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
11-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey, thanks man. We also... banned smoking in all public places!

:roll:

Albert
11-08-2006, 02:29 PM
:roll:

;)

Skatonic10
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
First the recognize MLK day and now this! Who knew!?

glk
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey, thanks man. We also rose the minimum wage, passed an animal rights proposition and banned smoking in all public places!

Of course we also stripped illegal immigrants of several basic human rights and voted down conservation laws...

Did Jeff Flake win? I saw his profile on 60 Minutes on Sunday and it seems like he's doing the Lord's work.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Good for them.

XXXenophile
11-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Nothing wrong with the illegal immigrant thing. Least I don't think so. Though I still haven't seen the results in the propositions about no punitive damages or the senate's payraises. They're not listed anywhere. Neither is the one on eminent domain.

But I'm very suprised bout the conservation laws. Wondering what wording was in the props that I didn't see that others did.