PDA

View Full Version : CA madness

Relaunched
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Californians overwhelmingly voted for propositions that would revamp the highways out here. But the OIL TAX GOT NEGGED?! 55% voted No on raising the cost of oil drilling in California to match the cost charged by Texas and Alaska. The oil companies pay hardly anything out here and ran ads saying this would increase the dependency on foreign oil and raise prices at the pump DESPITE THE FACT that the Prop made it illegal for oil companies to adjust higher prices in CA. Fucking CA hypocrites are just sooooo liberal until it comes to driving their SUVs.

And do you know who came out against both this and the cigarette tax? The Teacher's Union. They believed that they deserved a portion of this increased revenue and without that money they campaigned against it. And before you wave the teacher flag realize that California has the highest paid teachers in the country (Averaging $55,000) and we are 48TH in the country on education.

Ben
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, it was really stupid that this didn't pass. The advertisements for No were really fucked up and ran during EVERY damn commercial break, so I'm not that surprised.

Ryan F
11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, Chevron spent a TON of money to defeat this. I have the words "new energy bureaucracy!" burned into my brain. It was one of the better propositions I've seen here; sorry to see it lose.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I voted against both of those. I take public transit.

Ben
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Chevron spent a TON of money to defeat this. I have the words "new energy bureaucracy!" burned into my brain. It was one of the better propositions I've seen here; sorry to see it lose.Don't forget "doesn't require results."

Ben
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I voted against both of those. I take public transit.Which don't polute?

Relaunched
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I believe most of the busses in LA are now running on natural gas.

But the money generated from the tax on oil companies was set for studies in alternative energy.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Which don't polute?

Far less per commuter than if we all drove cars. BART runs pretty clean, as far as I know. And what does pollution have to do with oil consumption?

I was just responding to Relaunched's crack about people who voted against these wanting to drive SUVs.

Relaunched
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
You take public transit but I somehow offended you by pointing out the hypocrisy of people voting down a prop that would push alternative energy solely because the were wrongfully informed that gas prices would rise?

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
You take public transit but I somehow offended you by pointing out the hypocrisy of people voting down a prop that would push alternative energy solely because the were wrongfully informed that gas prices would rise?

1) That's not hypocrisy.
2) You're painting with a pretty broad brush.
3) Gas prises would have gone up, simply not as a direct translation of the tax.
4) I think it's pretty obnoxious for you to think that you know why I voted against the propositions. Particularly when you're flat out wrong.

niceguyeddie
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I did NOT vote so... yeah, I forgot.

Relaunched
11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
1) That's not hypocrisy.
2) You're painting with a pretty broad brush.
3) Gas prises would have gone up, simply not as a direct translation of the tax.
4) I think it's pretty obnoxious for you to think that you know why I voted against the propositions.

Crap posted too soon - I meant to say there is a hypocrisy in overwhelmingly voting to revamp highways and then voting against a prop that would help better the transportation. California prides itself on being liberal but voted in favor of the oil companies.

The Prop made it ILLEGAL to raise gas prices due to tax. So the oil industry would either need to raise the gas prices of the entire country proportionately or offer a really really good excuse for just tagging CA.

I never presumed why you voted for or against it. Since you don't offer an explanation, I just assume you're looking to for a bitchy thread fight.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Crap posted too soon - I meant to say there is a hypocricy in overwhelmingly voting to revamp highways and then voting against a prop that would help better the transportation. California prides itself on being liberal but voted in favor of the oil companies.

I never presummed why you voted for or against it. Since you don't offer an explanation, I just assume you're looking to for a bitchy thread fight.

I voted against it for the same reason I vote against almost every proposition. They're poorly written and often poorly conceived.

Relaunched
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Kudos