PDA

View Full Version : Wait, did Dems win the senate or not?

HCMarvel
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM
What's left to be announced?

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Virginia

RebootedCorpse
11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
It's tied right now. If Dems win Virginia, they take it outright.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 09:42 AM
It's all coming down to Macaca. :lol:

My least favorite Republican Senator, and I have to root for him. :nonono:

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
It's all coming down to Macaca. :lol:

My least favorite Republican Senator, and I have to root for him. :nonono:

His chances seem slim, at best.

HCMarvel
11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
when will we know?

RebootedCorpse
11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
The Dems will have a working majority regardless. The Two independents vote with the Dems on the vast majority of issues.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
when will we know?

If Allen persists in pursuing a recount, not for a month or more.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
The Dems will have a working majority regardless. The Two independents vote with the Dems on the vast majority of issues.

They're already part of the count for the Democrats, I believe.

NickT
11-08-2006, 09:46 AM
What's left to be announced?
Wether Rumsfeld resigns. I haven't seen anyone post on this.

RebootedCorpse
11-08-2006, 09:48 AM
They're already part of the count for the Democrats, I believe.

Yup, you are right! So Dems will have no less than 50.

Mister Mets
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Odds are that Allen will lose with the recount, so the Democrats will probably

The biggest hope the Republicans have of maintaining 50% of the Senate (with Cheney being able to make tie-breaking votes) would be if Lieberman switched parties.

The two independents are counted as democrats for the purpose of the "Who will rule the Senate" charts, because they intend to participate in the Democratic Caucus.

Race
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I hope this doesn't come down to my vote . . . :scared:

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:52 AM
The biggest hope the Republicans have of maintaining 50% of the Senate (with Cheney being able to make tie-breaking votes) would be if Lieberman switched parties.

While that threat will give him leverage, I don't think that he can realistically go over to the Republicans and get re-elected.

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I hope this doesn't come down to my vote . . . :scared:

Unless you could have voted a couple thousand times, I think you're safe. I think it's highly unlikely that this recount will amount to much.

Raphael J
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Fuckin' Macaca!

Jumbopimp
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
What's interesting is if this is pressed by Allen, how it will come down to the absentee ballots. The majority of absentee ballots in the last two elections have been from soliders. So presumably, it would be the men actually fighting in iraq who's vote would decide which party controls the senate.

HCMarvel
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
how is it possible that a recount takes a month?

Bill!
11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Odds are that Allen will lose with the recount, so the Democrats will probably

The two independents are counted as democrats for the purpose of the "Who will rule the Senate" charts, because they intend to participate in the Democratic Caucus.

I don't think you can do that though. After the change over, you have to vote basically for which party you will caucus with. You can't flip back and forth I don't believe. While he may vote republican on some issues, it still will give the democrats the majority and control over what issues are brought before congress.

PoWerSurge
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I may be a decade away from my american government classes, but majority doesn't rule the Senate, quarum does, correct?

Which, to me, just means we'll have two years of partison bitching and not get anything done

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Liebermann isn't going to caucus with the Republicans. He's pretty centrist and even right-wing on some issues, but he's a Democrat.

What will likely happen is the Dems will give him a nice committee chairmanship to keep him placated.

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I may be a decade away from my american government classes, but majority doesn't rule the Senate, quarum does, correct?

Which, to me, just means we'll have two years of partison bitching and not get anything done

Quorum only means that enough Senators are present for a vote to be binding. Majority still rules on most issues, though supermajority is needed for a few.

McAfee
11-08-2006, 10:14 AM

After some of the shit that has been passed over the past several years, I'll take some "not getting anything done" for a change.

Bill!
11-08-2006, 10:14 AM

The majority does determine who controls each house though, and therefore what issues will be brought to the table. It's pretty important.

Matt Jay
11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I haven't been able to watch much coverage. Is Howard Dean getting any love from the news networks for the (previosly much maligned) 50 state plan? He deserves alot of credit for yesterday. Not as much credit as the Republican's failed leadership, but still alot.

Dreg
11-08-2006, 10:26 AM

If nothing is the alternative to lockstep compliance with self-centered and paranoid insanity, bring on the nothing.

Modok Gas
11-08-2006, 10:36 AM
The majority does determine who controls each house though, and therefore what issues will be brought to the table. It's pretty important.

In the event of ties, Cheney has the role of tie-breaker.

Frozen Sooner
11-08-2006, 10:41 AM
In the event of ties, Cheney has the role of tie-breaker.

Cheney is tie-breaker, but the Dems have a 51-49 majority. Which means that Cheney is back to being as impotent in the Senate as he is in the bedroom.