PDA

View Full Version : competed in my first bjj tournament last weekend (lost by armbar at 4:53)

half guard
11-08-2006, 07:43 AM
*this is kind of long, so if you're not into mma / sub grappling you probably don't want to read it. fair warning. ;) *

i competed in my first bjj / sub grappling tournament this past weekend at the reliant arena in houston, tx. after only 5 months of training, my goal was to be competitive. sure, i wanted to win, but i was realistic. my "minimum" goal was that if i lost on points to lose by no more than 7 (the most that can be scored by a combo) or if i lost by sub to not get tapped until 2-1/2 minutes in (halfway point of the 5 minute fight).

to give you an idea of the level of competition, one of my teammates who has 2 years of experience and got his blue belt the next day was tied for 3rd.

i told myself i wasn't going to be nervous, but when you're in the reliant with yves edwards, marcelo garcia, rafael lovato jr., mike fowler, etc. watching you it's hard not to let the adrenaline get the best of you.

i'm the taller of the two; wearing the red ankle tag - he's got the green.

* pbp hidden to keep the post from being too big *

we locked up in judo clinch and it quickly became obvious that my opponent had some greco experience (most likely high school / college wrestling, i'm guessing). so i took a gamble and pummeled in for a body lock to try a no-gi style osoto gari. he did a good job of basing against it and used my own momentum to nail me with a sweet hip toss that dumped me right on my head (scoring 3 points for him).

i shook it off and he took side control. i was able to bridge / shrimp and get him in my guard. from there, it seemed like i forgot EVERY other technique. things i hit in class all the time never crossed my mind. i guess it was just the nerves / adrenaline; first fight jitters. all i could think to try was a cross choke.

he stood to slam me / pass my guard, and i countered by grabbing his ankle and pulling him into my half guard, which transitioned into open guard, then turtling back up to reset on our feet. kept him from scoring points from a guard pass and got us back to a neutral position.

once we were back up, he gave me a couple of real good pulls and i realized i was in trouble if i didn't take it to the ground quick, i was in for another slam, but his hips were too low for me jump full guard, so i tried something i've never done before: took an angle and jumped half guard. i like to play a lot of half guard, so i'm pretty confident on the bottomside of it. i made sure to shoot for the underhooks as soon as i got his leg trapped.

he tried to slide out, so i turtled again to keep him from scoring and to keep me from getting trapped in scarf. once in turtle i locked onto one of his legs for a single leg, but his wrestling experience shined. he had a great sprawl. i gambled again and it paid off: i let go of the leg expecting him to come around to take my back; when he did, i rolled and trapped him in my half guard again. eventually, he tried to pass again, so i turtled and started working my hips underneath him so that i could pull him back into my half guard. you get another chance to see how good his sprawl is.

he spun and got his hips low, so i had to play a little rubber guard until i could get my inside leg trapping him in half guard again. from there, i secured his untrapped leg, shifted my hips, and got him back into my closed guard. once again going back to the same damn cross choke that he defended well earlier. i went for a scissor sweep, but he sprawled. i tried to hook one of his legs, but he pulled it back in.

he tried to stack my knee into my face, but i flexed my hips to off balance him and make him reset. we did this a few times. i heard the ref say "30 seconds left" and i didn't want to stay there and lose 3-0. so i took another gamble. the next time he stood, i opened my guard and shot for his ankle. he countered and drove his knee straight into my face. i didn't feel the pain until about 2 hours later because of the adrenaline, but it took a second to shake it off.

by that time, he was trying to set up an inverted mount, but i was able to bridge and scramble, but not before he secured my left arm (the same one that i blew a ligament in back in august and never healed because of training). i tried to scramble and roll with it, but he did a good job of following; kicked his leg over and got the bar at 4:53 in the fight.

i was disappointed at first, but after watching the video and talking to my coach, i'm happy with my performance overall. the times that i got caught (the slam and the armbar) both came from me going out on a limb and trying something i had just added to my playbook recently (or hadn't really added at all).

i was able to defend quite a bit, improve my position several times, forced him to defend several times, and in the end i was down by 3 points and got tapped with only 7 seconds left. after 5 months, i'm happy with that; especially considering how much my nerves / adrenaline affected me.

so if anyone is interested in seeing me get kneed in the face and get my elbow hyperextended, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeYbIjIoBqk

the only thing that really upset me was that i wanted to compete in the no-gi and open weight divisions, but with reinjuring my elbow, i couldn't. now that my first tournament is behind me, i'm going to take a few weeks to allow it to properly heal (something i was too hardheaded to do for the past 2 months).

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Swear to God I thought this said "bj tournament"...

TIP
11-08-2006, 07:46 AM

:thumb:

T

bachman
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM

WHO DIDN'T?! Sign me up!

(to be a recipient please)

:grope:

Jonny Z
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Do you lose points for spitting or gagging?

Patton
11-08-2006, 07:48 AM

Tempted to make this parody thread:

"competed in my first bj tournament last weekend (lost to Amber in 69)"

TIP
11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Tempted to make this parody thread:

"competed in my first bj tournament last weekend (lost to Amber in 69)"

Bwah-Ha-Ha-:lol:!!!

T

half guard
11-08-2006, 07:49 AM

my wife and i took care of that later on that evening. as the only competitor, she won the gold. i didn't get a medal, but i definitely won. 8-)

Patton
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM

Adam Beranek
11-08-2006, 09:07 AM
That rocks dude. Armbars hurt like bejeezus though.

Professor Oreo
11-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Seriously, great job turtleface. Only 5 months of training? Holy shit dude! You are gonna be a fucking badass!!!

half guard
11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Seriously, great job turtleface. Only 5 months of training? Holy shit dude! You are gonna be a fucking badass!!!

thanks for the kind words, prof. i've only been training for 5 months, but i'm admittedly fanatical about it. that's 5 months of 4 - 5 days a week (2 hours a day) and when i'm not on the mat, i'm usually either reading a book on grappling or watching a grappling dvd. since the tournament, i've settled to 4 days a week of grappling with 2 days a week of weight training; which seems to be a good breakdown for me.

one of the coolest things to come out of the competition is that one of the purple belts on our team (silver medalist at last year's pan-ams) has taken me under his wing. just the things he's shown me this past week have changed my game so much, it's incredible.

he said he'd been wanting to work with me, but wanted me to get my first tournament out of the way. he's about the same height / weight as me, so he knows what techniques tend to favor someone of our build, etc.