PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War.....

Corey A.
11-08-2006, 06:25 AM
So what's the verdict? Anyone pick this up yet? How is it?

KingMob
11-08-2006, 06:32 AM
it sucks.

joeAR
11-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Here's a review from IGN.com

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744356p1.html

Corey A.
11-08-2006, 07:28 AM
it sucks.

IGN.com gave it 9.4/10.

Maybe YOU SUCK!!! :wink:

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
IGN sucks too.

Artie Pink
11-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Is this the Donnie Darko game?

joeAR
11-08-2006, 07:42 AM
IGN sucks too.

1up.com gave it a 10 out of 10
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154958

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
EGM, Gamepro and most other game mags and sites suck. Why I stopped getting subscriptions and stopped reading their reviews.

I rarely agree with most of the reviews.

noble
11-08-2006, 07:59 AM
This game plays as good as it looks. And that's a very rare combo these days.

I highly recommend playing co-op over live with a friend(it's the exact same game as the single player, except a buddy is controlling your teammate instead of the 360.

Using the headset to bark out orders and tactics with your friends is fantastically fun, and it really gets you right into the game. Makes you feel like you are really there in the middle of the battle.

Corey A.
11-08-2006, 08:18 AM
This game plays as good as it looks. And that's a very rare combo these days.

I highly recommend playing co-op over live with a friend(it's the exact same game as the single player, except a buddy is controlling your teammate instead of the 360.

Using the headset to bark out orders and tactics with your friends is fantastically fun, and it really gets you right into the game. Makes you feel like you are really there in the middle of the battle.

Do they have a death match mode or is it just co-op?

KingMob
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Is this the Donnie Darko game?

yes it is, Patrick Swayze is the main guy.

Thorne
11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Do they have a death match mode or is it just co-op?

No CTF (hooray!)

Gears of War will have three multiplayer modes which are:

* War Zone - 4-on-4 team deathmatch; no respawns
* Resurrection - 4-on-4 team deathmatch; downed players will revive after 30 seconds, unless finished off by opponents
* Execution - “Kill the Leader”; highest-ranked player on the team is the leader and can pick up weapons supporting players can’t use

They're planning on a lot of post game content, so I wouldn't doubt they'd add on some more multiplayer modes.

Corey A.
11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
No CTF (hooray!)

* Resurrection - 4-on-4 team deathmatch; downed players will revive after 30 seconds, unless finished off by opponents
* Execution - “Kill the Leader”; highest-ranked player on the team is the leader and can pick up weapons supporting players can’t use

They're planning on a lot of post game content, so I wouldn't doubt they'd add on some more multiplayer modes.

very nice! Thanks!!

KingMob
11-08-2006, 08:51 AM
No CTF (hooray!)

The funniest thing I've heard so far was some story on the xbox forums about a guy who heard from his manager friend at EB that on emergence day there would be this huge flood of downloadable content including all these new maps and gametypes or whatever. Its mainly funny because its been my experiance that people from gamestop/EB know little or nothing about anything. :lol:

Corey A.
11-08-2006, 08:56 AM
The funniest thing I've heard so far was some story on the xbox forums about a guy who heard from his manager friend at EB that on emergence day there would be this huge flood of downloadable content including all these new maps and gametypes or whatever. Its mainly funny because its been my experiance that people from gamestop/EB know little or nothing about anything. :lol:

I hate that damn place. Dude freaked out on me about not having a reserve for FFXII but they still had a ton of stock. He was all "You really should reserve your games to make sure you get them." PISS OFF with your game reserves!!

KingMob
11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
I hate that damn place. Dude freaked out on me about not having a reserve for FFXII but they still had a ton of stock. He was all "You really should reserve your games to make sure you get them." PISS OFF with your game reserves!!

reserve this buddy!

*flip double bird*

Thorne
11-08-2006, 09:21 AM

This is true, but the comment came from CliffyB, although it doesn't state if it's just a bunch of lame gamerpics or new maps/gametypes.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148692

How popular do you think Gears' will be over Xbox Live? What plans do you have to release content after it's shipped?

CliffyB: I hope that the game will be extremely popular over Live. Co-op on Live is just amazing! We've got some goodies in the queue for downloadable content but we're not quite spilling the beans at this time. Everyone will have to wait and see!

KingMob
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
This is true, but the comment came from CliffyB, although it doesn't state if it's just a bunch of lame gamerpics or new maps/gametypes.

Probably not on the 12th though right?

Binx
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM

Maybe the game store employee was talking about Emergence day, the 12, which is supposed to bring a few goodies tourneys, etc.:

Xbox Live® celebrates Emergence Day with 24 hours of special events beginning at 12:01 A.M. on Sunday, November 12 on Xbox Live. Gold members in North America can join online tournaments, download exclusive videos, win cool prizes, and participate in variety of other activities:

* Leaderboard tournament: The 24-hour leaderboard tournament winner receives a one-of-a-kind Gears of War branded guitar as well as an automatic bye to the finals of a global Gears of War tournament planned for 2007.
* Hourly sweepstakes drawings: Prize giveaways mean you could win one of several Samsung HT-P29 Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Systems.
* Gamer pic and theme: Score the exclusive free Gears of War gamer pic and theme, only available on Emergence Day.
* Game with Fame: Play with legendary heavy metal band and Gears of War fans Megadeth, the game's lead designer Cliff Bleszinski, and other members of the Epic Games team.
* New videos: Check out the never-before-seen videos including a special Emergence Day transmission from Cliff Bleszinski.
* MTV Special: Watch the MTV "Gears of War: The Road to Launch" sneak preview.

Game with Fame Schedule
On Sunday, November 12, The Gears of War development team will be taking on the Xbox Live community to celebrate Emergence Day. Here's your chance to see how the game is played by taking on the guys that actually built the game! Stick around, you don't want to miss a chance to test your skills against Gears of War designer Cliff Bleszinski.

Epic Games Team: 4 P.M. to 6 P.M. Pacific / 7 P.M. to 9 P.M. Eastern. Be on the lookout for the gamertags below. The team members will be popping into existing games or inviting Xbox Live members into games throughout the evening.

* EpicMarkRein: Mark Rein, Vice President
* EpicRodF: Rod Fergusson, Producer
* EpicLeeP: Lee Perry, Lead Level Design
* EpicRayD: Ray Davis, Lead Programmer·
* EpicJimB: Jim Brown, Multiplayer Level Design
* EpicDevTeam1, EpicDevTeam2, EpicDevTeam3, EpicDevTeam4, EpicDevTeam5, EpicDevTeam6: Various additional team members

Cliff "Cliffy B" Bleszinski: 4 P.M. to 6 P.M. Pacific / 7 P.M. to 9 P.M. Eastern

To try your hand against Design Lead Cliff Bleszinsk, be on the lookout for Xbox Live Gamertag EpicCliffyB.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/gearsofwar/20061106-emergenceday.htm

Bervda
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I'll definitely be picking this up, just not yet. My gaming cup runeth over, what with FFXII, LoZ:TP, and PSU demanding my time. I think Gears looks amazing, but the other games mentioned are taking top priority.

Andy Jewett
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM
did anyone else notice the use of the "Mad World" cover in the ads... interesting version of the Tears for Fears classic... anyone know who did it? word.

LowKey
11-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Anyone else really suck at this game? I had to go from "Hardcore" to "Casual" in record time.

It's very emasculating.

JABSEN
11-08-2006, 01:20 PM
did anyone else notice the use of the "Mad World" cover in the ads... interesting version of the Tears for Fears classic... anyone know who did it? word.It's from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. It's composed by Michael Andrews and gary Jules sings

Afny
11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Gamestop...won't...sell it to me...without a pre-order...must...kill...

kari
11-08-2006, 02:06 PM
What?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Most of those are out of my own mouth, but good god is that retarded.

-Noble

Afny
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah...I'm not going to buy it from them now. I'm going to wait until Game Craze, the small local store, gets it. I'll have to wait a bit longer, but I'd rather support them anyway if Gamestop is going to be stupid. And besides, I bet with a new Super Wal-mart (BLEGH) and gamestop, game craze wont last much longer anyway...so sad...

JABSEN
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah...I'm not going to buy it from them now. I'm going to wait until Game Craze, the small local store, gets it. I'll have to wait a bit longer, but I'd rather support them anyway if Gamestop is going to be stupid. And besides, I bet with a new Super Wal-mart (BLEGH) and gamestop, game craze wont last much longer anyway...so sad...Dude, Just go to Wal-mart.

Afny
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Dude, Just go to Wal-mart.

NEVER! Also, they didn't get it in today, but still, NEVER!

JABSEN
11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
NEVER! Also, they didn't get it in today, but still, NEVER!unless they get it in

Afny
11-08-2006, 02:12 PM
And only, ONLY if game craze doesn't get it friday.

KingMob
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
hey what do you know, I finally fucking got it.

Got my $10 refunded from gamestop and bought myself a cheeseburger.

Natty P
11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Did it release today?

Maybe I'll head down to circuit city.

Binx
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Cheeseburgers and chainsawed locusts. It's a yummy day.

Binx
11-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Anyone else really suck at this game? I had to go from "Hardcore" to "Casual" in record time.

It's very emasculating.

Yes I suck. But it's still a lot of fun. (Even I cant see the guns laying right the fuck in front of me.)

Afny
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Cheeseburgers cost $10? Good thing I'm a vegitarian...

Fat Randy
11-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I finally got my copy today. the guys at EB told that ONLY people that pre-ordered the game would get thier copies cause the rest where stuck in Memphis. So Now I'm stuck here at work pulling another 15 hour shift staring at my cubicle covered in GOW posters and with game, waiting for my chance to play.

KingMob
11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Cheeseburgers cost $10? Good thing I'm a vegitarian...

Oh no, I have money left over.