PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins on CW and Sentry

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:09 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8830

The Sentry’s vast amount of power made it difficult for writer Mark Millar to give the character a significant role in the actual “Civil War” mini-series. “Mark decided he wouldn’t really have the Sentry get that involved because it became so much of what could potentially affect the outcome of ‘Civil War,’” Jenkins explained. “We all had these weird and interesting conversations. My opinion was that I wasn’t sure the Sentry doesn’t turn around and say, ‘I’m not registering. I’ll support you, but you can’t make me register.’ And they say, ‘Why not?” and he says, ‘Because I’m a god.’ It’s really kind of funny because we’ve been working with what the Sentry is going through and he hasn’t worked out his own place in the universe. There are questions of will he or won’t he register? What does he think?

“In a sense, the big question is how do you go to somebody like the Superman or the Sentry, some living god, and say, ‘I’d like you to register by my laws,’” Jenkins continued. “What does the Sentry think of that? Does he obey the laws as a human? Does he tell them, ‘I support you but if you’d like to force me to register you’re welcome to try.’ All of those things are part of ‘The Return.’”

It won’t just be difficult decisions that the Sentry tackles in “The Return.” “There is a great villain in the Sentry story,” Jenkins stated. “A really cool one, where everybody will be like, ‘Oh, it’s about time those two had a battle!’ It’s a big old bru-ha-ha kind of fight, but it’s done within the context of his decision and what’s going on.”

Fans of the Sentry will be happy to know that Jenkins will be penning more adventures of the Golden Guardian of Good in the near future. “There are some big plans for the Sentry,” Jenkins said. “I’m not going to get into those, but I will say there are some very big plans as to how he interacts and fits in with what’s going to be coming up over the next year or so.”

Pretty interesting article over on CBR. Jenkins seems to have a knack for sparking new life into old dull characters. He seems to be comics new Mr. Fixit. Good stuff coming.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 05:12 AM
So 'the return' story is about sentry, and not captain Marvel.

YAY!

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:14 AM

YAY!

I didn't post the whole article. There is a second story about the return of a character. He didn't say who though. I posted more of the Sentry stuff, sorry man.

Garth
Nice, I love Jenkins and I love the Sentry. Probably the coolest new hero in years! Very excited!

You Killed Hawkeye

YAY!

The Return supposedly contains two stories. The Sentry was already confirmed as one of them.

Shwicaz
11-08-2006, 05:16 AM
I hadn't heard.

haven't followed much comic news lately.

:Oops:

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:19 AM
I little bit on the "return" character.

“Civil War: The Return” is two separate stories. In the book’s first story, the Sentry wrestles dilemmas and a diabolical villain. In a second story, a familiar face makes their “return” to the Marvel Universe, but Jenkins had to keep the character’s identity under wraps. “It’s somebody cool and important,” he said. “It’s basically somebody who I think the fans will be really be interested in and excited to see back.”

Jenkins couldn’t reveal the character’s identity, but he could share some other details. “It’s kind of an interesting intrigue,” Jenkins stated. “At some point he’s approached and told, ‘We have thought of ways to make superhero registration work; for things to improve everybody’s lot. You coming back now to help this situation will save so many lives and be so helpful. We need you.’”

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm a big Sentry fan, but he's been so muted in his new incarnation. Sure, its the realest incarnation he's had and that's why he has such a hard time, but still. He's almost like the Hulk in that you have to come up with something for him so he doesn't tip the balance too far to one side. I'm hoping that he does offer to help, but not register (as if they can even quantify him). Then after smooth sailing for a while, he reads Stark's CW Files entry on him AND finds out what happened to the Hulk and who was in on it. Now there's a story. Or maybe Hulk will tell him personally when he returns.

ds9
11-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I hope its better than the last Sentry mini.

Guirk the Thudner
11-08-2006, 07:04 AM
It would have to be. In any case, I'm not so sure about it being Captain Marvel that "returns." He claims that the fans have wanted to see what would happen if these two characters were to square off, and I really don't know of anyone clammoring for a Mar-Vell or Genis-Vell comeback. I think/hope it will be return of the one True Thor, as that is a fight that actually needs to happen, and Thor needs to kick Sentry's neurotic ass. Of course that won't happen because Sentry is a god and Thor is only a god, as well as Jenkins is doing the writing so there's no chance Sentry loses.

If this one isn't good, though, I contend that only Bendis be allowed to write Sentry.

[/rant]

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:10 AM
It would have to be. In any case, I'm not so sure about it being Captain Marvel that "returns." He claims that the fans have wanted to see what would happen if these two characters were to square off, and I really don't know of anyone clammoring for a Mar-Vell or Genis-Vell comeback. I think/hope it will be return of the one True Thor, as that is a fight that actually needs to happen, and Thor needs to kick Sentry's neurotic ass. Of course that won't happen because Sentry is a god and Thor is only a god, as well as Jenkins is doing the writing so there's no chance Sentry loses.

If this one isn't good, though, I contend that only Bendis be allowed to write Sentry.

[/rant]

I actually think Jenkins is the only guy (so far) who can write the Sentry well. Bendis makes him really bland and just boring pretty much. In NA he didnt do much, NA annual was still in the back and NA 24 Sentry still didnt say or do much, he was just there.

Can't wait for this one.:)

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 07:21 AM
The Sentry’s vast amount of power made it difficult for writer Mark Millar to give the character a significant role in the actual “Civil War” mini-series. “Mark decided he wouldn’t really have the Sentry get that involved because it became so much of what could potentially affect the outcome of ‘Civil War,’” Jenkins explained.
Ha! That's exactly what I said the reason was why Sentry wasn't that involved in Civil War. I'm good. ;)

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 07:21 AM
I actually think Jenkins is the only guy (so far) who can write the Sentry well. Bendis makes him really bland and just boring pretty much. In NA he didnt do much, NA annual was still in the back and NA 24 Sentry still didnt say or do much, he was just there.

Can't wait for this one.:)
I agree. No offense to BENDIS!, but Jenkins writes Sentry better.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Ha! That's exactly what I said the reason was why Sentry wasn't that involved in Civil War. I'm good. ;)

I thought that as well. Now if the real Thor were in CW then Sentry couldve been used... DAMN that CLOR!

Guirk the Thudner
11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I agree. No offense to BENDIS!, but Jenkins writes Sentry better.

Really? What did you guys think of the Jenkins/JR mini? I loved the original Knights series, but the latest one was nigh unreadable for me, (yeah, I said nigh). I agree that Bendis has been forced to keep him in the background a bit, but between the Sentry arc and last issue I thought he actually gave him a voice. That last mini just didn't make any sense to me.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Try reading it again. It clicked the 2nd time around.

TheKraken
11-08-2006, 08:00 AM
He claims that the fans have wanted to see what would happen if these two characters were to square off

You're mixing the comments about the two stories. He said people would be eager to see Sentry square off with an unnamed villain, not the character making the titular return.

Guirk the Thudner
11-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Ahh my bad.

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Really? What did you guys think of the Jenkins/JR mini? I loved the original Knights series, but the latest one was nigh unreadable for me, (yeah, I said nigh). I agree that Bendis has been forced to keep him in the background a bit, but between the Sentry arc and last issue I thought he actually gave him a voice. That last mini just didn't make any sense to me.

The only thing that didn't make any sense was that damn Nick Fury being in it. Damn him and his continuity screwing over!

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 08:08 AM
You're mixing the comments about the two stories. He said people would be eager to see Sentry square off with an unnamed villain, not the character making the titular return.
I'm just guessing, but I bet it's..
Count Nefaria. He escaped the Raft back in New Avengers #1, but hasn't been seen since as far as I know. Nefaria is an uber-badass. I'd like to see how Sentry handles him.

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd love to see Sentry vs Thanos, personally.

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I'd love to see Sentry vs Thanos, personally.
Well if you've been reading Annihilation, you know that Thanos has his own problems. Heh.

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Well if you've been reading Annihilation, you know that Thanos has his own problems. Heh.
Yeah, totally. But picture this: we have Thanos in his lair doing some evil machiavellian stuff with Annihilus then all of a sudden Sentry breaks in and goes, "how you like some of this, bitch!" and punches the hell out of Thanos who goes flying out the roof and lands on another planet. And that'd be sum total of Sentry's battle against Thanos. It'd be awesome. In fact, I think there should be an official "Sentry month" at Marvel where he appears in every Marvel book for a month and does this exact, same thing to one of the characters.

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 09:42 AM
In fact, I think there should be an official "Sentry month" at Marvel where he appears in every Marvel book for a month and does this exact, same thing to one of the characters.
That's actually not a bad idea.

If Marvel is really serious about integrating the Sentry into the Marvelverse, they must have him interact more with other heroes and characters. I hope Jenkins gets it done.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
They should write the Sentry like the Hulk. Not Pro or Anti- reg, he's above all of that. That way he could fight heroes and villains cause him teaming up with anyone is pretty lame, unless its at the cosmic level or something.

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
They should write the Sentry like the Hulk. Not Pro or Anti- reg, he's above all of that. That way he could fight heroes and villains cause him teaming up with anyone is pretty lame, unless its at the cosmic level or something.
Well they should write him the same way they write Superman.

As poweful as Superman is, he's still just one man. He can't do everything at once. He needs help sometimes.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
The difference is DC has a crazier universe with stronger villains. The way Sentry got rid of Terrax was impressive. Supes can't even do that to his ultra strong bad guys.

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I dunno why, but I always got the feeling that Sentry was supposed to be...I dunno, much bigger and powerful than Superman. Not to sound too fanboyish or anything like that, but there are characters in the MU of whom it could be said that they are more powerful than Supes, and I always assumed the Sentry was supposed to be the greatest and most powerful of them all. But hearing PJ himself comparing the two together really does make me wonder if Sentry is indeed the most badass hero in the universe.

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
The difference is DC has a crazier universe with stronger villains. The way Sentry got rid of Terrax was impressive. Supes can't even do that to his ultra strong bad guys.
Yeah but you still can't get around him just being one guy. A very powerful guy, but still one guy. A telepath or powerful mystic could take Sentry out of a battle, then what? What if Sentry has no help?

I dunno why, but I always got the feeling that Sentry was supposed to be...I dunno, much bigger and powerful than Superman. Not to sound too fanboyish or anything like that, but there are characters in the MU of whom it could be said that they are more powerful than Supes, and I always assumed the Sentry was supposed to be the greatest and most powerful of them all. But hearing PJ himself comparing the two together really does make me wonder if Sentry is indeed the most badass hero in the universe.
There are characters as powerful as Superman, but DC in general makes Superman the baddest of the bad when push comes to shove. He's hero #1.

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah but you still can't get around him just being one guy. A very powerful guy, but still one guy. A telepath or powerful mystic could take Sentry out of a battle, then what? What if Sentry has no help?

There are characters as powerful as Superman, but DC in general makes Superman the baddest of the bad when push comes to shove. He's hero #1.

I'm sure Sentry has more abilities. I just think theres really not much for him on Earth regarding villains and when Thor comes back they can get rid of all villains if they wanted to.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I hope we get a super pissed off Sentry once he finds out what they did to the Hulk. He has to know that he is more powerful than the Hulk and just as unstable. If they would do it to Hulky, he has to know they would do it to him. I hope WWHulk has Sentry in there as his #2 man for fucking shit up!

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm sure Sentry has more abilities. I just think theres really not much for him on Earth regarding villains and when Thor comes back they can get rid of all villains if they wanted to.
Ah, I'd rather not see them adding on more powers than Sentry already has. He's powerful enough now as is.

And the Marvel Universe needs an influx of new villains. I think Jenkins is capable of making threats for the Sentry.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Superman will always be the top dog in my opinion. Sentry is cool and all, but he is a freaking nut job. Supes has his shit together. Plus, he has Batman as his backup. No one can screw with Batman.:)

Stark Raving
11-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Sweet. I likes me some Jenkins.

Blake Sims
11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Ah, I'd rather not see them adding on more powers than Sentry already has. He's powerful enough now as is.

And the Marvel Universe needs an influx of new villains. I think Jenkins is capable of making threats for the Sentry.

Holy shit. I remeber that cartoon in your sig. Isnt that the one with the talking horse that used a shot gun?

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Sweet. I likes me some Jenkins.

Howdy! A jenkins fan and a local guy!

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Holy shit. I remeber that cartoon in your sig. Isnt that the one with the talking horse that used a shot gun?
Yep. Bravestarr. Great show. Somebody should make a movie out of it now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/AlexClarke/Starfighter/bravestarr1.jpg

Blake Sims
11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

I had a VHS when I was little and it had samples of all these different cartoons and that and The Ghostbusters (the one with the gorilla).

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I hope we get a super pissed off Sentry once he finds out what they did to the Hulk. He has to know that he is more powerful than the Hulk and just as unstable. If they would do it to Hulky, he has to know they would do it to him. I hope WWHulk has Sentry in there as his #2 man for fucking shit up!
I'd be surprised if he didn't know already. Maybe Iron Man somehow managed to convince him that Hulk was becoming a problem, though I have a hard time seeing that happening. I really think this is something Marvel should address at some point.

Me and a friend of mine used to be huge fans of that cartoon when we were kids, though I hear it...kinda doesn't hold up very well now...

ClintP
11-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I'd be surprised if he didn't know already. Maybe Iron Man somehow managed to convince him that Hulk was becoming a problem, though I have a hard time seeing that happening. I really think this is something Marvel should address at some point.

Yeah, but from the Sentry series, Jenkins made a point to note that Hulk was calmer with Sentry around. He was very calm and docile. I am sure if Sentry knew about it, he would have volunteered to chaperone Hulk at all times and would have been like a buddy team. I am sure he would not like the fact that his friend, the one who he had most in common, was shipped off to some distant galaxy. Why would they not ship his ass off at some point?

Foolish Mortal
11-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I just want to see Sentry's reaction when he eventually finds out that his friends "shipped" Hulk away.

Me and a friend of mine used to be huge fans of that cartoon when we were kids, though I hear it...kinda doesn't hold up very well now...
Well, Bravestarr's stories don't hold up so well, but the concept; a futuristic western about a Native American marshal with mystic superpowers is a winner. It's very Star Wars-like.

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but from the Sentry series, Jenkins made a point to note that Hulk was calmer with Sentry around. He was very calm and docile. I am sure if Sentry knew about it, he would have volunteered to chaperone Hulk at all times and would have been like a buddy team. I am sure he would not like the fact that his friend, the one who he had most in common, was shipped off to some distant galaxy. Why would they not ship his ass off at some point?
I know it makes sense, and I know by all means the Sentry SHOULD be pissed about them doing it, but like I said, I would be surprised if he didn't know already in spite of the fact that we haven't seen any indication that he might aware. The reason why I think he knows is because, well, by now it's probably been months (in real life and Marvel time) since the Illuminati shot the Hulk into space. I have a hard time believing that, in all that time, the Sentry hasn't thought about looking for the Hulk just to talk to him or something and found that he isn't on Earth.

Still, like I said, I also have a hard time seeing the Illuminati convincing him that shooting the Hulk into space was a good idea. Which is why I think it's important that Marvel address this at some point.

Jerome Gibbons
11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I just want to see Sentry's reaction when he eventually finds out that his friends "shipped" Hulk away.

Well, Bravestarr's stories don't hold up so well, but the concept; a futuristic western about a Native American marshal with mystic superpowers is a winner. It's very Star Wars-like.
You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but it kinda is. I personally haven't seen it in years. I fear my childhood might be destroyed if I do. :)

ClintP
11-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Still, like I said, I also have a hard time seeing the Illuminati convincing him that shooting the Hulk into space was a good idea. Which is why I think it's important that Marvel address this at some point.

Ah, like he is buying his time trying to decide on what to do?