PDA

View Full Version : FCC Rules 'Profanity OK' on News shows, but not during Awards shows

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
....which makes no fucking sense.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has ruled that profanities can be used in news interviews but not on awards shows or in fictional shows.

The agency reversed its finding in March that CBS's "The Early Show" was indecent when a "Survivor" contestant used the word "bullshitter" in an interview to describe a rival, the Los Angeles Times reported. The commission upheld a finding that profanities used by winners and presenters in the 2003 "Billboard Music Awards" on Fox were indecent.

"Hollywood continues to argue they should be able to say the F-word on television whenever they want," said Chairman Kevin Martin. "The commission again disagrees."

The FCC also reversed an indecency finding for language used on "NYPD Blue" on the technical grounds that the complaint was made by someone not living in the broadcast area.

Icaruss
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
They're just words!

EasyE726
11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah I still don't really get that.

Who decided certain words are worse than others? I mean ..I just..don't get it.

Mylazycat
11-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Yay for logic. :surrend:

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah I still don't really get that.

Who decided certain words are worse than others? I mean ..I just..don't get it.

It's not even that.

It's the point that if you swear on a news show its fine, but if you utter that same swear during a live awards ceremony, it is considered 'indecent' and subject to a fine.

double standard.

Flonk
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
The FCC also reversed an indecency finding for language used on "NYPD Blue" on the technical grounds that the complaint was made by someone not living in the broadcast area.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of FCC complaints are from people who did not see the offensive material.

Ryan Elliott
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Should the FCC be abolished?