PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Peas

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
So I stumbled into this thing the other day. Some people already knew about it, but I had no idea. So in his latter days after getting blacklisted in Hollywood, Orson Welles was doing a lot of commercial endorsements. But this was still Orson Welles of Citizen Kane and the War of the Worlds broadcast. Hocking products. One such commercial was for a British food company which sold various meats and vegetables. All he had to do was do some scripted voiceover work to go with some pleasant images. But instead he challenged everything, every line. And he really took it to the poor director and producer who pretty much took it all. The recording was passed around actors and such for years and years. This this has been parodied many times and I never knew it. On The Critic and a Pinky and the Brain skit from Animaniacs, both of which feature Maurice LaMarche who does a great impersonation.

Here's the wikipedia article: Frozen Peas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Peas)

Actors acting over the actual recording on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJeZ7Hc2AQQ&mode=related&search=)

Rosebud Frozen Peas from The Critic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA)

There is an episode of Pinky and the Brain the duplicate the whole thing (minus obsenity) and there is no way kids or most adults would have a clue what was going on. Makes sense now though.

My friend and I really got a kick out of this and quote it back and forth. "Yes, always."And nobody has a clue what's happening. Its not so much that Welles is reduced to ads at that point in his life, its about him deciding that he couldn't take any more and was going to draw a line with these guys and just destroy their day. He talks about them like they don't exist yet still breaks them down like nothing I've ever heard before. And he's not wrong in what he is saying, but he could have given them a pass and chose to do the opposite like we'd all love to some days.

Reason I bring this up now rather than later is that they talk about this repeatedly on the commentary to Transformers the Movie. They don't say anything bad about Orson, but they do talk about how they were all worried about exactly what they would be in for due to this tape of him riding the poor commerical director and producer into the ground that had been circulating. Small world that I should just find out about this, have it suddenly make old jokes make sense, and them appear on the new 20th anniversary Transformers movie dvd. Small world.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 05:26 AM
*bump*

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 05:27 AM
Yep, this is good stuff. Stern's been playing this for years and years.

SteveZegers
11-08-2006, 05:29 AM
That was the best Pinky and the Brain moment. "Narf? What is a narf?"

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:31 AM
I prefer canned peas with butter. mmm, butter.

DAVE
11-08-2006, 05:31 AM
So I stumbled into this thing the other day. Some people already knew about it, but I had no idea. So in his latter days after getting blacklisted in Hollywood, Orson Welles was doing a lot of commercial endorsements. But this was still Orson Welles of Citizen Kane and the War of the Worlds broadcast. Hocking products. One such commercial was for a British food company which sold various meats and vegetables. All he had to do was do some scripted voiceover work to go with some pleasant images. But instead he challenged everything, every line. And he really took it to the poor director and producer who pretty much took it all. The recording was passed around actors and such for years and years. This this has been parodied many times and I never knew it. On The Critic and a Pinky and the Brain skit from Animaniacs, both of which feature Maurice LaMarche who does a great impersonation.

Here's the wikipedia article: Frozen Peas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Peas)

Actors acting over the actual recording on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJeZ7Hc2AQQ&mode=related&search=)

Rosebud Frozen Peas from The Critic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA)

There is an episode of Pinky and the Brain the duplicate the whole thing (minus obsenity) and there is no way kids or most adults would have a clue what was going on. Makes sense now though.

My friend and I really got a kick out of this and quote it back and forth. "Yes, always."And nobody has a clue what's happening. Its not so much that Welles is reduced to ads at that point in his life, its about him deciding that he couldn't take any more and was going to draw a line with these guys and just destroy their day. He talks about them like they don't exist yet still breaks them down like nothing I've ever heard before. And he's not wrong in what he is saying, but he could have given them a pass and chose to do the opposite like we'd all love to some days.

Reason I bring this up now rather than later is that they talk about this repeatedly on the commentary to Transformers the Movie. They don't say anything bad about Orson, but they do talk about how they were all worried about exactly what they would be in for due to this tape of him riding the poor commerical director and producer into the ground that had been circulating. Small world that I should just find out about this, have it suddenly make old jokes make sense, and them appear on the new 20th anniversary Transformers movie dvd. Small world.

As soon as I saw this thread I thought of the Critic parody.
"They're even better when they're frozen!"

"They're even better when you're dead!"

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Yep, this is good stuff. Stern's been playing this for years and years.

What did he do?

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 05:35 AM
I still, to this day, refer to their "green pea-ness" every time I see peas... :surrend:

BTW - I like snacking on frozen peas once in a while. They're yummy that way...

- B

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 05:38 AM
What did he do?

Played the tapes for his audience and laughed at them and mocked Welles? I don't understand the question.

There's another one of these that wasn't in that wiki article - where there's a "gonk" in the background and Welles mercilessly tears into the audio engineer who asks him to re-do the tape.

Artie Pink
11-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Pea-green MP3 link to the actual Welles recording!

Orson Welles Pea Commercial gone wrong! (http://www.nofear.org/Archives/Media/2004/03/orson-welles.mp3)

And...

Here is the complete transcript to the Orson Welles recording:

Orson: "We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there." Do you really mean that?

Director: Yeah, so in other words, I'd-I'd start half a second lat...

Orson: Don't you think you really want to say July over the snow? Isn't that the fun of it?

Director: It's-it-if you could-if you could make it almost when that shot disappears, it'll make much...

Orson: I think it's so nice that you see a snow covered field and say, Every July, peas grow there. "We know a remote farm, in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there." We aren't even in the fields, you see.

Director: Yeah, we aren't.

Orson: We're talking about 'em growing, and she's picked 'em.

Director: Yeah.

Orson: What?

Director: On "in July."

Orson: I don't understand you then. When must, what must be over for July?

Director: Um, when we get out of that snowy field.

Orson: But I was out. We were onto a can of peas, a big dish of peas when I said "in July".

Director: Well, I'm sorry...

Orson: Yes, always! I'm always p-past that!

Director: You are.

Orson: Yes! Well that's about where I say "in July."

Other: Could you emphasize a bit "In", "In July"?

Orson: Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with "in" and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say "In July" and I'll go down on you. That's just idiotic, if you'll forgive me by saying so. That's just stupid... "In July"; I'd love to know how you emphasize "In" in "In July". Impossible! Meaningless!

Director: I think all they were thinking about was that they didn't want
to-

Orson: He isn't thinking.

Director: Orson, can we just do one last-

Orson: Yeah?

Director: It was my fault. I said "in July". If you could leave "every July"...

Orson: You didn't say it, he said it. Your friend. "Every July?"

Director: So, after the shot-

Orson: No, you don't really mean "every July". But that's a, that's bad copy, it's "in July", it, of course it's "every July". There's too much directing around here. Norway. Fish fingers, Nor... Findus Norway. "We know a certain fjord in Norway, near where the cod gather in great shoals. There, Janst, ah, Stangeland, shit.

Director: A fraction more on that "shoals" thing, because you rolled it around very nicely.

Orson: Yeah, roll it round and I have no more time. You don't know what I'm up against. Because it's full of, of, of things that are only correct because they're grammatical, but they're tough on the ear, you see. This is a very wearying one. It's unpleasant to read. Unrewarding. "Because Findus freeze the cod at sea, and then add a crumb-crisp" Ooh, "crumb-crisp coating." Ahh, that's tough, "crumb-crisp coating." I think, no, because of the way it's written, you need to break it up, because it's not, it's not as conversationally written. What?

Director: Take "crumb" out.

Orson: Take "crumb" out. Good. Here, under protest, is beefburgers. "We know a little place in the American Far West, where Charlie Briggs chops up the finest prairie-fed beef and tastes. This is a lot of shit, you know that. You want one more? One more on the beef?

Director: You missed the first "beef", actually, completely.

Orson: What do you mean missed it?

Director: You were emphasizing "prairie-fed"...

Orson: But you can't emphasize "beef", that's like his wanting me to emphasize "in" before "July"! Come on, fellows, you're losing your heads! I wouldn't direct any living actor like this in Shakespeare! The way you do this, it's impossible!

Director: Orson, you did six last year, and by far and away the best, and I know the reason-

Orson: The right reading for this is the one I'm giving it.

Director: At the moment.

Orson: I spend... twenty times more for you people than any other commercial I've ever made. You are such pests! Now what is it you want? In your... depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Whatever it is you want, I can't deliver, 'cause I just don't see it.

Director: That was absolutely fine, it really was.

Orson: It isn't worth it. No money is worth this... [walks out, slams door]

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Played the tapes for his audience and laughed at them and mocked Welles? I don't understand the question.

There's another one of these that wasn't in that wiki article - where there's a "gonk" in the background and Welles mercilessly tears into the audio engineer who asks him to re-do the tape.

We don't have Howard Stern down here. Never have, maybe never will (unless you count satellite radio now). So I don't know much about the show. Just what I've seen on E! pretty much. So I had no idea how he would have used the tape. Could have been anything. But I guess letting them play through is cool.

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 05:44 AM
We don't have Howard Stern down here. Never have, maybe never will (unless you count satellite radio now). So I don't know much about the show. Just what I've seen on E! pretty much. So I had no idea how he would have used the tape. Could have been anything. But I guess letting them play through is cool.

Ah. The Welles tapes, like the Casey Kasem outtakes (have you heard them?), have been a staple of morning radio shows for ages, not just Howard. Before the interwebs, they circulated on cassette tapes from station to station. They're always entertaining.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Ah. The Welles tapes, like the Casey Kasem outtakes (have you heard them?), have been a staple of morning radio shows for ages, not just Howard. Before the interwebs, they circulated on cassette tapes from station to station. They're always entertaining.

I never heard of any Kasem outtakes, what is that?

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 05:47 AM
I never heard of any Kasem outtakes, what is that?

They're even better than the Welles tapes, actually...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Kasem#Outtakes

Lemme see if I can find an mp3 linky...

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 05:52 AM
They're even better than the Welles tapes, actually...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Kasem#Outtakes

Lemme see if I can find an mp3 linky...

Very interesting. I love this kind of stuff. Where is the "frozen peas" of the comics world?

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Very interesting. I love this kind of stuff. Where is the "frozen peas" of the comics world?

Try the .ram file here: http://radio.about.com/od/radiobloopersandouttakes/ss/blbloopers1.htm

I don't have Real Audio here at work so I can't tell if it will work.

DAVE
11-08-2006, 06:16 AM

Wouldn't that be John Byrne's infamous "Sambo" cover of Uncanny?

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Wouldn't that be John Byrne's infamous "Sambo" cover of Uncanny?

That was...that was just...I don't know what that was, but I don't think its the same. I don't think we're laughing at that yet.

DAVE
11-08-2006, 06:33 AM
That was...that was just...I don't know what that was, but I don't think its the same. I don't think we're laughing at that yet.

Yeah but even if you buy that Byrne didn't draw it, it is the closest comparison for the comics world. There's a creator, doing something that they never thought would be seen or heard outside of it's original intent.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah but even if you buy that Byrne didn't draw it, it is the closest comparison for the comics world. There's a creator, doing something that they never thought would be seen or heard outside of it's original intent.

I guess I was hoping for outtakes from the Rob Liefeld Lee Jeans commercial or something...

DAVE
11-08-2006, 07:06 AM
I guess I was hoping for outtakes from the Rob Liefeld Lee Jeans commercial or something...

you mean the out takes where he yells at the camera man for not being EXTREME enough?

amy
11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Try the .ram file here: http://radio.about.com/od/radiobloopersandouttakes/ss/blbloopers1.htm

I don't have Real Audio here at work so I can't tell if it will work.

it works

Jim T.
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
it works

Cool. The voice session outtakes (which are also on this site) are also good if they're the ones I'm thinking of:

"Join us each week at 2 a.m... two???"

:lol:

andeparks
12-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I love the Orson outtakes dearly, but I hope people keep them in context, and not judge Welles too harshly. He whored himself in many ways, it's true, but it was almost always done to get another film made. No one in Hollywood, including ass-kissers like Spielberg and Lucas, would finance Orson's films, so he was forced to do commercials like this to pay for actors, film, and costumes. Yeah... he probably wasn't in the best moods while doing so, but if I had made Citizen Kane at 25, Ambersons at 27, directed the most famous radio show ever at 23, and so on... I'd probably not have a ton of patience with some little asshole telling me how to pronounce fucking peas either!

The important thing to remember is that, while Orson may have sold out as an actor or a spokesman, he never did so as a director. That was the skill that was sacred to him, and he never failed to deliver.

God bless his cranky, brilliant soul!

Anj

Pat Loika
12-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I always thought this was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5LkDNu8bVU

P.

EasyE726
12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Here's the Pinky and the Brain one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqMTmynMfo&mode=related&search=

Foolish Mortal
12-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I love the Orson outtakes dearly, but I hope people keep them in context, and not judge Welles too harshly. He whored himself in many ways, it's true, but it was almost always done to get another film made. No one in Hollywood, including ass-kissers like Spielberg and Lucas, would finance Orson's films, so he was forced to do commercials like this to pay for actors, film, and costumes. Yeah... he probably wasn't in the best moods while doing so, but if I had made Citizen Kane at 25, Ambersons at 27, directed the most famous radio show ever at 23, and so on... I'd probably not have a ton of patience with some little asshole telling me how to pronounce fucking peas either!

The important thing to remember is that, while Orson may have sold out as an actor or a spokesman, he never did so as a director. That was the skill that was sacred to him, and he never failed to deliver.

God bless his cranky, brilliant soul!

Anj
Who's criticizing Wells? I'm not. I love that audio, it's fucking hilarious.

It just makes me feel a little sad for Wells that he never got to do half of the stuff he wanted to do thanks to the blacklisting.

Here's the Pinky and the Brain one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqMTmynMfo&mode=related&search=
Absolutely fucking brilliant.

thatguylobo
12-23-2006, 10:19 PM
I always thought this was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5LkDNu8bVU

P.

That was just great. I think I had a small heart attack.

I remember watching the Pinky and the Brain one waaaay back, and thinking it was absolutely hilarious. I always enjoyed it whenever that show got really bizarre.

c. page
12-23-2006, 10:27 PM
the critic one with the "green-peaness" line still remains a running joke with several of my friends. one of them even named his band "green peaness" in honor of it.