PDA

View Full Version : Racism still works in Tenn.

RebootedCorpse
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Corker wins against Harold Ford, per AP.:no:

RickLM
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
The GOP base holds.

MattN
11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Right, Corker won because the majority of Tennesseeans are racist. Not because he's a Republican running in a predominantly Republican state.

SCOURGE
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Right, Corker won because the majority of Tennesseeans are racist. Not because he's a Republican running in a predominantly Republican state.

Then how do you explain Al Gore getting elected to the Senate if it is so Republican? No one in their right mind would mistake him for a conseravtive...Ford lost because he was to liberal (as in left of Al Gore)...if he were more of a moderate, I think that he would have faired better...

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Well, when you consider that no black person has gone to congress from the South since reconstruction and the NRCC put up the racist anti Ford ad it's not hard to see they managed to get out the racist vote.

Steve Q
According to your logic it also works in Maryland

TheTravis!

You mean he's a RACIST running in a predominantly RACIST state!

Edit: I'm not trying to make a point. I just like to yell RACIST.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Then how do you explain Al Gore getting elected to the Senate if it is so Republican? No one in their right mind would mistake him for a conseravtive...Ford lost because he was to liberal (as in left of Al Gore)...if he were more of a moderate, I think that he would have faired better...

Do you really have any clue about Harold Ford? He's an ultra conservative Democrat actually. Pro-life devout Christian and all.

RebootedCorpse
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM

http://www.newsbusters.org/media/2006-10-24-NBCNNPlayboy.jpg

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Did Cardin run a racist ad against Michael Steele?

Frozen Sooner
11-07-2006, 08:46 PM

Possibly because he had name recognition from his father and first got elected before the Reagan Revolution in the South?

Steve Q
11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Did Cardin run a racist ad against Michael Steele?

No but Corker didnt run any racist ads either

Although Dem supporters did have some good old bigotted fun with Michael Steele

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

Oreo's and blackface, how nice.

MattN
11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm sure there were plenty of racists that voted against Ford, I'm sure his race hurt him, but I don't think you can say that racism is the sole reason that he lost.

And I'm guessing that part of the reason Gore had an easier time being elected (keeping in mind I've done no kind of research to back this up and don't really know what I'm talking about) is that in addition to being fairly moderate he has strong postive family ties to the state, while Ford's ties are tenuous (he's spent most of life in DC) and run through a family that I understand have a pretty shady reputation.

Also, to be clear, I voted for Ford.

EDIT: My internet crapped out for a bit, and Frozen Sooner and other's already said most of this I think.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 08:50 PM
No but Corker didnt run any racist ads either

Although Dem supporters did have some good old bigotted fun with Michael Steele

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

Oreo's and blackface, how nice.

Yeah, too bad you just brought up a fun little myth, Steve. It never fucking happened.

I said the NRCC ran the ad, man. Corker called it a racist ad and had it eventually pulled. AFTER the damage was already done. You honestly think he didn't know about it beforehand? Gimme a break.

Jonny Z
11-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Do you really have any clue about Harold Ford? He's an ultra conservative Democrat actually. Pro-life devout Christian and all.

yeah, from what i read, he's against late term abortion and he's anti gay marriage.

Steve Q
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, too bad you just brought up a fun little myth, Steve. It never fucking happened.

I said the NRCC ran the ad, man. Corker called it a racist ad and had it eventually pulled. AFTER the damage was already done. You honestly think he didn't know about it beforehand? Gimme a break.

Please. Corker was stepping eggshells to avoid allegations from misguided people like yourself. It wasnt racist. You know it. I know it. You want to pretend that all southereners are racist so you can have some little moral victory here? Be my guest. But dont for one second think that people dont see through this bullshit.

And Jesus Christ you guys are sore winners. You won the House! Celebrate! just be prepared to step up and take responsbility . Cant hide behind the "GOP and Rove control everything WAAAAh" bitching that I hear from you every damn second.

Blake Sims
11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
And Jesus Christ you guys are sore winners. You won the House! Celebrate! just be prepared to step up and take responsbility . Cant hide behind the "GOP and Rove control everything WAAAAh" bitching that I hear from you every damn second.

Im gonna counter your generalization with yet another generalization! RAH!!

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Please. Corker was stepping eggshells to avoid allegations from misguided people like yourself. It wasnt racist. You know it. I know it. You want to pretend that all southereners are racist so you can have some little moral victory here? Be my guest. But dont for one second think that people dont see through this bullshit.

If it wasn't racist why did they pull it? Why did Corker say it was? This isn't just my opinion Steve, it's the opinion of a large majority of people. I never said all Tennesee voters were racist nor was it implied. The same as getting out the gay marriage vote. Simple as that, the ad worked and played to the bigots who haven't elected a black person in the entire South since reconstruction. Don't you worry now, I'm happy as a lark and doing a fucking jig as we speak that the Dems managed to grab the House. The Senate would be nice too.

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, when you consider that no black person has gone to congress from the South since reconstruction and the NRCC put up the racist anti Ford ad it's not hard to see they managed to get out the racist vote.

Wrong... (http://www.house.gov/mckinney/)

MattN
11-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Good concession speech by Ford just now.

JamesV

Also:

List of African American Congressmen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans_in_the_United_States_Congress#Th e_modern_era)

Now, not all of them are from the south, but clearly, there are some from the south.

You Killed Hawkeye

He meant Senate.

WillieLee
It's good to see blanket statements still work on the Bendis Board.

JamesV
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
He meant Senate.

Well.. If that's the case then,

There have also been no black Senators from the majority of the states in the Union period, so really, that's not exactly a major accomplishment for any side, and a major disgrace for all sides.

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM

Tennessee USED to be a Democrat state, but as the party began to shift and move away from the people of this state's views, morals, etc it became a Republican state.

Gore didn't even get his own state's electorial votes in 2000.

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
He meant Senate.

Also not true. Hiram Revels (NC) and Blanche Bruce (MS) both served in the Senate after the Civil war, and to be fair, only Illinois and Massachussets have had a black representative in the Senate since 1881, so it's unfair to try and claim it's a Southern problem.

You Killed Hawkeye
11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Also not true. Hiram Revels (NC) and Blanche Bruce (MS) both served in the Senate after the Civil war, and to be fair, only Illinois and Massachussets have had a black representative in the Senate since 1881, so it's unfair to try and claim it's a Southern problem.

Those were appointed Senators. They don't count.

3 to 0 is still 3 to 0.

MattN
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
What timezones are you people in? It's far too late for research.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 09:36 PM

3 to 0 is still 3 to 0.

yes. All I'm saying. I did indeed mean Senate.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Central here. 12:37 AM and I'm still alive and kickin

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 09:38 PM

3 to 0 is still 3 to 0.

No, it's 2 to 48. 48 states have not elected a black Senator. Not 48 Southern states. 48 United States.

Frozen Sooner
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM

9:38 here in the great state of Alaska, where it appears we just elected a Barbie doll governor.

MattN
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Central here too. As a rule, I make midnight my cutoff for non-essential research. ;)

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Eastern here, and there is always time for education. ;)

JamesV
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
yes. All I'm saying. I did indeed mean Senate.

But what you're saying and what you're implying are radically different from each other. You're implying that no black person has ever won in the south because the south is racist. The fact of the matter is that no black person has ever won a senate seat from California either, so, hell, let's go ahead and call them racist as well.

And we can throw in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, all those northern original colonies (save Massachusetts of course, who elected a republican black senator.)

The fact of the matter is that by throwing out the idea that it's the south keeping the black senator's down, we ignore the actual issue that the diversity inside of this country's government is disgusting and shameful.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
But what you're saying and what you're implying are radically different from each other. You're implying that no black person has ever won in the south because the south is racist. The fact of the matter is that no black person has ever won a senate seat from California either, so, hell, let's go ahead and call them racist as well.

And we can throw in New York, New Jersey, Vermont, all those northern original colonies (save Massachusetts of course, who elected a republican black senator.)

The fact of the matter is that by throwing out the idea that it's the south keeping the black senator's down, we ignore the actual issue that the diversity inside of this country's government is disgusting and shameful.

You're right. I shouldn't generalize. The entire South isn't racist, just most of it. :grope:

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
You're right. I shouldn't generalize. The entire South isn't racist, just most of it. :grope:

If Senate representation is your basis, then the evidence would seem to indicate that most of the country is racist. :grope:

JamesV
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM

Yay! It's a circle jerk! :grope:

Who said politics wasn't fun!

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 10:14 PM

I'm not equipped for a circle jerk.

This board is sexist! :cry:

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 10:15 PM

Certainly not me.

JamesV
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not equipped for a circle jerk.

This board is sexist! :cry:

Y'know.. there's not a good response I feel comfortable making to you on the board... So... :heybaby:

t00lverine
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Settle down you rowdy kids. Now let's all look at that the sexy number representing Dems in the House again...:)

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Y'know.. there's not a good response I feel comfortable making to you on the board... So... :heybaby:

Chicken ;)

Wait...what response do you feel comfortable giving me off the board? :scared:

KryptoGal
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Settle down you rowdy kids. Now let's all look at that the sexy number representing Dems in the House again...:)

I'd much rather look at you in those sexy shades, Maverick. ;)

tdaniel
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Lolla-Pelosi!

Oh and institutionalized racism is thriving in AZ too. English is the official language of the state...thank god many of our immigrant ancestors did not have to deal with this kind of shit. People at least wore their hatred, fear, contempt and ignorance on their sleeves.

SethInAz
11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Lolla-Pelosi!

Oh and institutionalized racism is thriving in AZ too. English is the official language of the state...thank god many of our immigrant ancestors did not have to deal with this kind of shit. People at least wore their hatred, fear, contempt and ignorance on their sleeves.

Yeeesss!!! God forbid people assimilate.

BWC Boston
11-07-2006, 11:50 PM

There's no way that ad WASN'T racist. It played on the racist nightmare of a big scary black man putting his big scary black thing inside a tiny scared white woman. That fear is still present even in liberal communities, down in Tennessee, I am completely unsurprised they feel comfortable airing an ad that obviously pushed that button.

BWC Boston
11-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Lolla-Pelosi!

See, I never understood why the "official language" thing is such a big deal. Street signs, job applications, tax forms, television, movie showtimes, are all in English. English is already the official language--I don't see the need to formalize it into law, but I don't see the harm, either.

English as the official language: No biggie.

Getting crazy about a Spanish recording of the anthem: Racist horseshit.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
11-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeeesss!!! God forbid people assimilate.

I was going to tell you to move back to Lexington, but you honestly fit in better than I do here in AZ. :Oops:

t00lverine
11-08-2006, 12:13 AM
See, I never understood why the "official language" thing is such a big deal. Street signs, job applications, tax forms, television, movie showtimes, are all in English. English is already the official language--I don't see the need to formalize it into law, but I don't see the harm, either.

English as the official language: No biggie.

Getting crazy about a Spanish recording of the anthem: Racist horseshit.

It fosters a culture of exclusion.

Bill Nolan
11-08-2006, 03:24 AM

Which meaningless talking point is that, exactly? #5 or #6?

- B

NickT
11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
I don't really see how. I agree with Boston, it really is a total non-issue blown up by both sides.

Guirk the Thudner
11-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Loud Noises!

Joshzilla
11-08-2006, 07:12 AM

I really don't think that's it at all. I'm in Tennessee. This is a very Baptist region and Baptists tend to go with Republicans. An example is my mom, who is adamantly against gay marriage for whatever reason. During any political discussion, that is her only thing she'll say, she'll vote Republican because they oppose gay marriage. Maybe it's because I'm liberal and more Democrat-y (I don't really declare a party, but it'd be Democrat if I did), but I don't mind gay marriage at all and I really think that oh...I dunno, war, education, and stuff like that is way more important, no matter what your opinion is on the subject.

Also, smear campaigning was intense down here and sadly, alot of people are swayed by that. I honestly have no idea what Corker even stood for because 95% of his commercials were just about how aweful Ford is. The Dems had some smears, too...but at least they advertise some of what they believe.

*sigh*

t00lverine
11-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Which meaningless talking point is that, exactly? #5 or #6?

- B

I'm not really a big politico, so that's not something that was force fed into me by some outside element. Thanks for jumping on my perceived weakness though, champ.:roll:

Keith P.
11-08-2006, 07:23 AM
. It played on the racist nightmare of a big scary black man putting his big scary black thing inside a tiny scared white woman. .

The racists need to try this. I speak from experience.

What?

Patrick J
11-08-2006, 07:25 AM

Al Gore was actually an extremely conservative Democrat while in the Senate; Anti-Abortion, Pro-Tobacco, Pro-Censorship etc. etc. etc. He didn't become a "liberal" until 1992.

And Harold Ford is also a very conservative Democrat; Anti-Abortion, Christian etc. etc.

A shame, I'd wanted to see Ford win. I'd also wanted to see Michael Steele win in Maryland but such was not to be. :-?

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 07:25 AM

What?

:lol:

I am somehow reminded of Patten Oswalt's bit about the Gay Pride parade coming through small towns in the South.

t00lverine
11-08-2006, 07:26 AM
I don't really see how. I agree with Boston, it really is a total non-issue blown up by both sides.

Well, I might be wrong just because I'm projecting into the future, but I think this will serve to embolden anti-immigrant sentiment. That sentiment, if allowed to grow can result in socail unrest in some areas. I'm also not convinced that the underlying reasoning was to achieve some sort of standardization.

Joshzilla
11-08-2006, 07:29 AM

What?

:rofl:

Patrick J
11-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Just to confirm... does Harold Ford still maintain his seat in the House of Representatives?

Race
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I'd also wanted to see Michael Steele win in Maryland but such was not to be. :-?Isn't Steele a Bush lapdog? That's what the commercials kept telling me, and telling me, and telling me . . .

Patrick J
11-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Isn't Steele a Bush lapdog? That's what the commercials kept telling me, and telling me, and telling me . . .

Nope. He was actually FOR Stem-Cell research too... The other guy, the one that won had actually voted against Stem-Cell research. *shrugs*

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Isn't Steele a Bush lapdog? That's what the commercials kept telling me, and telling me, and telling me . . .

Yes, he was a Bush lapdog and that's why he lost. Nothing to do with him being black or a black Republican.

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Nope. He was actually FOR Stem-Cell research too... The other guy, the one that won had actually voted against Stem-Cell research. *shrugs*

:lol:

Yeah, but he was against it before he was for it. Steele said stem cell research was comparable to the Nazi experimentation on Jews during the Holocaust, man. Then when the media and Cardin blasted him for it he changed his position (flip-flop) a little to allow SOME forms. Cardin had Michael J Fox do an ad for him not to mention has been a strong supporter of stem cell research. Yeah, so at one early point he voted against a form of it (along with a LOT of people when not many understood anything about it) but for quite a while now he's been a strong supporter of all forms of stem cell research.

Race
11-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Yes, he was a Bush lapdog and that's why he lost. Nothing to do with him being black or a black Republican.Being black in Maryland can cost you a race? I didn't think it was such a problem up there.

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Being black in Maryland can cost you a race? I didn't think it was such a problem up there.

You read my response wrong. I said his loss had ZERO to do with his race, but because he was a Bush lapdog Republican.

Ray G.
11-09-2006, 04:57 PM

I love how the Washington Times is somehow a source that can be easily disregarded, but Daily Kos is somehow a reliable news source.

Brad N.
11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I love how the Washington Times is somehow a source that can be easily disregarded, but Daily Kos is somehow a reliable news source.

Excuse me? What the hell ever gave you the impression I thought Kos (a site I rarely visit) was a reliable news source? The Washington Times is a well known rightwing rag paper owned by the ultra conservative Rev. Moon hence the nickname Moonie Times. I'm not going to argue media crap with you but that bullshit oreo cookie throwing incident has been debunked by EVERYONE reputable a LONG time ago.

Ray G.
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
There's no way that ad WASN'T racist. It played on the racist nightmare of a big scary black man putting his big scary black thing inside a tiny scared white woman. That fear is still present even in liberal communities, down in Tennessee, I am completely unsurprised they feel comfortable airing an ad that obviously pushed that button.

That couldn't be further from what it showed. It played on corruption and (horrors!)sex issues, by implying Ford, one of the most Conservative Democrats running, liked to hang out with porn stars and fuck playboy bunnies. It was a sleazy enough attack ad without everyone screaming "racist!".

I really wish Ford had won. I mean, the Senate was already lost....

Bill Nolan
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Just to confirm... does Harold Ford still maintain his seat in the House of Representatives?

Unless he also somehow ran for that seat, no. All the reps. run every two years, so his HR seat would have been up this year as well.

- B

Brad N.
11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
That couldn't be further from what it showed. It played on corruption and (horrors!)sex issues, by implying Ford, one of the most Conservative Democrats running, liked to hang out with porn stars and fuck playboy bunnies. It was a sleazy enough attack ad without everyone screaming "racist!".

I really wish Ford had won. I mean, the Senate was already lost....

I'm glad you liked Ford, Ray. A lot of people did. The thing is though the claims about his "sex issues" were false. The biggest ad mind in the country (who knows a thing or two about just this type of ad) said flat out it was a racist attempt to play to the big scary black man taking the white women crowd. The NRCC pulled the ad after Corker and several other Republican top guys said it was racist and wanted it removed. Yes it played to the playboy sex crazed aspect, but there was a huge underlying racial isse at work there.

Fusion
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM

The damage WAS done, so of course he was free to be "Politically Correct" about if after the fact.

The fact that people still pretend Racism died with the Civil Rights Movement is hilarious if not sad.

Ray G.
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm glad you liked Ford, Ray. A lot of people did. The thing is though the claims about his "sex issues" were false. The biggest ad mind in the country (who knows a thing or two about just this type of ad) said flat out it was a racist attempt to play to the big scary black man taking the white women crowd. The NRCC pulled the ad after Corker and several other Republican top guys said it was racist and wanted it removed. Yes it played to the playboy sex crazed aspect, but there was a huge underlying racial isse at work there.

I get that the implications were false, but I seriously think, after seeing the ad several times, that the main implication was that Ford had ethics and zipper problems. That's what most people will get out of it.

Maybe the guy will make a comeback. I wonder when Tennessee has a race for Governor.

Brad N.
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I get that the implications were false, but I seriously think, after seeing the ad several times, that the main implication was that Ford had ethics and zipper problems. That's what most people will get out of it.

Maybe the guy will make a comeback. I wonder when Tennessee has a race for Governor.

maybe. He's a good guy.

Fusion
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM

To be honest, your one of the few I heard from that HONESTLY the think that ad is anything but racist. It was a briliant ad. Stired the racist area of Tennesse to rise and vote against Ford.

changingshades
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
You mean he's a RACIST running in a predominantly RACIST state!

Edit: I'm not trying to make a point. I just like to yell RACIST.

RACIST

It is fun

Joshzilla
11-10-2006, 04:08 AM

He was just re-elected the other day.