PDA

View Full Version : Bush Disappointed at GOP losses

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
http://elections.us.reuters.com/top/news/usnN07478317.html

WASHINGTON, Nov 7 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, disappointed at the Democrats' seizure of the House of Representatives, will hold a news conference on Wednesday to urge his opponents to work with him, the White House said.

The news conference was set for 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT).

White House spokesman Tony Snow said the outcome of the elections, in which Democrats were projected to win control of the House and pick up several Senate seats, was "not what we would've hoped."

"But it also gets us to a point: Democrats have spent a lot of time complaining about what the president has done. This is an opportunity for them to kind of stand up," Snow said.

Bush, whose Iraq policy was a key factor in the elections, had dinner with top aides and close friends Brad Freeman and Don Evans, the former commerce secretary, and watched the election returns on television in the White House residence.

He was told formally by his top political adviser, Karl Rove, that the House had gone to the Democrats.

It was described as a businesslike environment with aides thumbing messages into their blackberries to keep track of developments.

The bad news came after Bush spent the last five days of the campaign trying to help Republican candidates in 10 states.

"Now, one of the things is both parties have got a lot work to do," Snow said. "The president has got a very active agenda for the next two years and you're going to need both parties. There has to be a calculated decision by the Democrats."

Well, now. The dems have spent so long bitching about Bush....let's see what they can do.

St.-
11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
In the end they'll just complain they had too much to fix and that's why nothing got done.:)

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping the Democrats hold a news conference on Wednesday telling Bush to go shit in is hat.

Amos Moses
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Little late for W to be up, isn't it?

NickT
11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm hoping the Democrats hold a news conference on Wednesday telling Bush to go shit in is hat.
I'm hoping they do work closer, and your countries politics stop being so us and them. But I'm a dreamer :)

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
From the Boston Globe:

That thud tonight was the sound of the Republican Party hitting bottom in Massachusetts.

With the end of the GOP's 16-year hold on the offices of governor and lieutenant governor, Bay State Democrats in 2007 will enjoy a political monopoly unequalled by either party in any state in the country.

In January, Democrats will hold all six statewide constitutional offices, all 12 seats in Congress, roughly 7-to-1 majorities in both chambers of the state Legislature, and all eight seats on the Governor's Council. The highest ranking Republican officeholders in the state will be a smattering of district attorneys and county sheriffs.

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Little late for W to be up, isn't it?

Retards don't have bedtimes.

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Retards don't have bedtimes.

so, how long you plan on being up.

:twisted: ;)

Amos Moses
11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm hoping they do work closer, and your countries politics stop being so us and them. But I'm a dreamer :)

I hope we invade the U.K.

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:17 PM
so, how long you plan on being up.

:twisted: ;)

Eat my dick. :)

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-07-2006, 08:17 PM

:lol:

NickT
11-07-2006, 08:19 PM
That's okay, I'm confident you couldn't find us on a map :)

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Eat my dick. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/shwicaz/titanium-spork-200.jpg

Amos Moses
11-07-2006, 08:20 PM

There's only so much ocean to hide yourself in :twisted:

TheTravis!

We'll just follow the sound of whiny accents and inbreeding, and the smells of tea and tweed. :)

St.-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/shwicaz/titanium-spork-200.jpg

Go with the freaky hotdog whos gonna eat himself.

Masculine Todd
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I only read the first word of the thread title and thought this was going to be about the defunct band of the same name. Goddamn, do I miss them. :cry:

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I read the first word of the thread title and thought this was going to be about the defunct band of the same name. Goddamn, do I miss them. :cry:

Are you fucking retarded? :)

costello
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I read the first word of the thread title and thought this was going to be about the defunct band of the same name. Goddamn, do I miss them. :cry:

I heard they called The Killers anti-American.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Are you fucking retarded? :)

I don't know if he voted or not.

Masculine Todd
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't know if he voted or not.

I'm here on a green card so that's a "nope".

Doc Randy
11-07-2006, 08:34 PM
WASHINGTON, Nov 7 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, disappointed at the Democrats' seizure of the House of Representatives, will hold a news conference on Wednesday to urge his opponents to work with him, the White House said.

What a dick.

He never wanted to work with them in the past. For the last six years, Democrats were routinely shut out of almost every committee - especially the conference committees that negotiate the merger of House & Senate bills.

Now that he has to, he is acting in the spirit of compromise and cooperation?!?!

Kensington
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
What a dick.

He never wanted to work with them in the past. For the last six years, Democrats were routinely shut out of almost every committee - especially the conference committees that negotiate the merger of House & Senate bills.

Now that he has to, he is acting in the spirit of compromise and cooperation?!?!I'm sorry, but that's just bullshit. He went out of his way to extend olive branches at the beginning of his administration, inviting Ted Kennedy over to watch movies, letting him write the education bill, etc.

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm here on a green card so that's a "nope".

So odd. Where IS "Emovania"?

Masculine Todd
11-07-2006, 08:42 PM
So odd. Where IS "Emovania"?

Break up with your girlfriend and listen to twenty hours straight of Morrisey albums and the location will reveal itself to you.

Doc Randy
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry, but that's just bullshit. He went out of his way to extend olive branches at the beginning of his administration, inviting Ted Kennedy over to watch movies, letting him write the education bill, etc.

Maybe at the beginning, but the simple fact remains that the GOP routinely shut out the Democrats from many important committee meetings, most notably, the Conference Committee that resolved the differences between the House and Senate version of bills.

How do you explain all the 4:00 AM committee meetings that the Dems "mustn't have got the notice for"?

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, there are only 3 senate seats left.

The dems need to win them all for a majority.

RickLM
11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry, but that's just bullshit. He went out of his way to extend olive branches at the beginning of his administration, inviting Ted Kennedy over to watch movies, letting him write the education bill, etc.

yes, one bill, No Child Left Behind, he played ball. Then six fucking years of flinging shit and demonizing his opponents and playing zero-sum politics. His Rove style of politics is going to bite him in the ass so bad.

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Yeah, not going to happen. The politicians have their heads to far up their rear and the people seem to revel in the rivalry...well at least those dirty liberals. :D

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Maybe at the beginning, but the simple fact remains that the GOP routinely shut out the Democrats from many important committee meetings, most notably, the Conference Committee that resolved the differences between the House and Senate version of bills.

How do you explain all the 4:00 AM committee meetings that the Dems "mustn't have got the notice for"?

Early to bed, early to rise keeps the Republicans healthy, wealthy, and getting their own way. ;)

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I have to admit I'm glad there was such a major shake-up in politics this year. Even though I'm a Republican, it doesn't hurt my feeling there are some new Democrats taking office. I think we need to remove the incumbents, career politicians, regularly regardless of political affiliation. I think in the long run it is best for the country.

Amos Moses
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I have to admit I'm glad there was such a major shake-up in politics this year. Even though I'm a Republican, it doesn't hurt my feeling there are some new Democrats taking office. I think we need to remove the incumbents, career politicians, regularly regardless of political affiliation. I think in the long run it is best for the country.
I concur Mr. Elephant.

Doc Randy
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I like you, dEnny! You're still my favorite Republican. If you ran for office, I'd even vote for you. We already know you have good taste in comics. :D

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I like you, dEnny! You're still my favorite Republican. If you ran for office, I'd even vote for you. We already know you have good taste in comics. :D

We'd have an Oni Press National Holiday.

tdaniel
11-07-2006, 10:25 PM
SO LONG!
Montana is Democratic once more. Talk about career politician's we we're stuck with Conrad Burns for all this time. This is the man the made the Daily Show for his "we've got a secret plan for Iraq but we're not telling" remarks. Jeebus - what a fucking idiot.

And yes sir, the Democrats better deliver 100%.

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Yeah, now that Bush has lost he wants the Democrats to work with him. While he was the Kingpin of Crime (better known as the head of the Republican Party), it was "Hey Democrats, go screw yourself."

I really hope the Democrats take control of the Senate as well, not out of any loyalty to the whores of the Democratic party, but just so that Bush gets a big FU from the voters.

And while I know everyone is celebrating the Democratic wins, just remember, in four years when the Democrats have screwed everything up, and the Republicans sweep back into office on the same "call to arms" the Democrats are riding now, they'll be doing the same type of gloating and celebrating that is going on now.

BrianS
11-08-2006, 04:14 AM
ahhh...what a beautiful morning.

BrianS
11-08-2006, 04:47 AM
Here comes 2008!

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/editors/home1108.jpg

Shane W
11-08-2006, 04:57 AM
And while I know everyone is celebrating the Democratic wins, just remember, in four years when the Democrats have screwed everything up, and the Republicans sweep back into office on the same "call to arms" the Democrats are riding now, they'll be doing the same type of gloating and celebrating that is going on now.

Post of the day.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-08-2006, 05:02 AM

:-? :cry:

xyzzy
11-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah, now that Bush has lost he wants the Democrats to work with him. While he was the Kingpin of Crime (better known as the head of the Republican Party), it was "Hey Democrats, go screw yourself."

I really hope the Democrats take control of the Senate as well, not out of any loyalty to the whores of the Democratic party, but just so that Bush gets a big FU from the voters.

Nothing wrong with celebrating.

I swore that I wouldn't gloat, after the way the Republicans on this board have acted in the past. It's fucking annoying.

Ray G.
11-08-2006, 05:20 AM
I'm actually much more interested in how a Democratic Senate would govern, if it does shake out that way after recounts. The House is so full of career nuts from gerrymandered districts on both sides that it's just going to be an embarassment. Conyers in charge of judiciary? Rangel in charge of ways and means? Dingell in charge of foreign relations? But the Senate has a lot more moderates, not to mention two independents.

RickLM
11-08-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm actually much more interested in how a Democratic Senate would govern, if it does shake out that way after recounts. The House is so full of career nuts from gerrymandered districts on both sides that it's just going to be an embarassment. Conyers in charge of judiciary? Rangel in charge of ways and means? Dingell in charge of foreign relations? But the Senate has a lot more moderates, not to mention two independents.

You're right, it will be a major change. Republicans like Tom Delay, Katherine Harris, Bob Ney, Dick Armey have always been such steady, rational folks -- ya hate to see crazies taking over the House now.

Thomas Mauer
11-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Here comes 2008!

http://www.nydailynews.com/images/editors/home1108.jpg

You're not going to regale us with 5+ political threads a day for at least 1.5 years, right? Pweeze?

bpepple
11-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Agreed.

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 05:55 AM

We shall see. My honest opinion, since we'll still be in Iraq in 2008 is things will not change on iota.

Khrutch
11-08-2006, 06:18 AM

Ageed.

Personally, I wish there were term limits for all elected offices. No more than eight years, same as the President.

TIP
11-08-2006, 06:26 AM
You're right, it will be a major change. Republicans like Tom Delay, Katherine Harris, Bob Ney, Dick Armey have always been such steady, rational folks -- ya hate to see crazies taking over the House now.

:lol:

:thumb:

Jef UK
11-08-2006, 06:35 AM
But Bush said in interviews that the Republicans were going to win.

NATE!
11-08-2006, 06:53 AM
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/4282/pelosibitcheslr6.jpg

Brad N.
11-08-2006, 06:56 AM
My bet is Bush comes out and gives the same speech about this that he gives about Iraq. He'll come out and say congrats to his fellow Republicans for winning both the House and Senate. Then he'll talk at great length about how well the election went for him and his party and how he looks forward to winning again in 2008. Then he'll have a few of his well off buddies come on stage (well, except for that rotting corpse Kenny Boy Lay) where he'll officially sell The USA to them for the good of the nation.

Or maybe he'll just come out swinging and name calling right off the bat. Bi-partisan my ass.