PDA

View Full Version : The Sandman

SeanC
11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
All throughout the time I have collected comics people have sworn till they were blue in the face about The Sandman. "It is the greatest book that Vertigo has ever produced," they would say. "Neil Gaiman is one of the most brilliant writers of the last two decades," scores of Gothic women with too much eye make-up would tell me before they started to recite poetry they had written about sadness while listening to The Cure. It was one of those books that I just never could get into; I had tried reasonably hard a couple of times but never found the way to make myself move beyond the first couple of TPBs. A number of the issues were interesting and I liked them a lot (such as "Men of Good Fortune" and A Midsummer Nights Dream"). It was never enough, however.

In the last several weeks I downloaded a number of comics, after finally finding a website that supplies comics on a weekly basis, and decided to download the entire series to see if I could make my way through it. The owner of the store that I work at makes it a point that we are 'knowledgable' about the comics because of customer recommendations and the way that everyone talks about The Sandman I thought it was time I forced my way through.

Whether I was ignorant or just plain naive about how great this series is I am not sure.

I don't know why but a series that was difficult to push through before has now become difficult to put down. It could of been the timing of the Absolute Sandman being released, with all of the beautiful restoration and updating work that has been done of it, but I became, and remain, completely enthralled by the series. In the last week I have read the entire series, rushed to my store and demanded that I own a copy of the Absolute Edition: Volume 1. The versions that I have been reading were of the older versions and it was amazing to open the gigantic, oversized and recoloured edition and see all of the changes which truly make a difference, as well.

It is a fantastic work, that could only of been made in the comic medium, and I fully understand now why it has endured so long and become such a legendary benchmark for what can be done by creators. The only regret I have now is that I hadn't read it through when I actually met Neil Gaiman a couple of years ago.

Vonn Hennigar
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Love em. :)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/TheSandman.jpg

Icaruss
11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
You downloaded comics...? But that's... But that's illegal!

Thudpucker
11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
You work in a comic store but download comics?

SeanC
11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
You work in a comic store but download comics?

Sometimes I don't work until Saturday; the customers at our store ask for recommendations, and opinions, a lot of the time and there's a massive rush for me to have my work done. That means there's not a lot of time for me to sit, read the shipment from that week and still finish all of that work. I will download that week's shipment and read it on my day off before going into work. Believe me, I still buy all of the books that I would usually and have found a couple of series, like Sandman and Fables, through doing this just out of happenstance. Yes, I am a horrible man.