PDA

View Full Version : How did everyone like 300?

Brandon191
11-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I've been thinking of picking it up since I first saw the movie trailer. How did you like it? Is it worth the $30? The book feels rather slim.

Vonn Hennigar
11-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Enjoyable but brisk read.

The actual historical event interested me more than the comic if that makes ANY sense.

Kefky
11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
It was okay, but I'm not wild about it like everyone else is, probably because I have no interest whatsoever in the historical event that its based on. The art's really nice, and it's entertaining, but the story's basically an excuse for Miller to showcase his machismo. It was a huge step down from his sin city work, IMO.

Still, it's fun, and the art is good. I'll probably watch the movie too.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
It was okay, but I'm not wild about it like everyone else is, probably because I have no interest whatsoever in the historical event that its based on. The art's really nice, and it's entertaining, but the story's basically an excuse for Miller to showcase his machismo. It was a huge step down from his sin city work, IMO.

Still, it's fun, and the art is good. I'll probably watch the movie too.

This perplexes me. But I love the classics.

Kefky
11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
This perplexes me. But I love the classics.

Sorry. Much more interested in "recent" history. :)

frzamonkey
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
i have it in single issues. it was cool. I have heard the big, wide format hardcover is better, it makes it feel more "movie"ish

Kensington
11-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Bought it when it came out in installments so I didn't really notice the price too much. Read it on an airplane all at once. Loved it. Great story.

jza1218
11-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Its pretty good. Its something that I had to read at home though because of the inconvenient size. It was a bitch to fit in my bookbag so reading while on the subway was a no-go

Icaruss
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Its a great book, but it certainly is a little slim.

The art is beautiful in the big pages, though.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
The collected edition is best. I think it's visually one of my favorite works of art.

tdaniel
11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Did not like it at all when it first came out. Then I read Eisner/Miller. Some pages where used as examples of Miller's work. He discussed what he was attempting to achieve, and I discovered it was possibly his best work in many regards. Worth the cake.

nihilance
11-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Personally I think that this is Frank Miller's finest work in the last 15 years...far outshining Sin City in every way shape and form. And the collected edition is the best as it preserves each two-page spread as it's own page in the book. After reading the collected edition I couldn't imagine the art being presented with a gutter down the middle doing it justice any longer.

The movie looks like it's going to be extremely faithful to the comic as well. I really can't wait for it.

SteveZegers
11-08-2006, 05:08 AM
I really like it, and enjoy the format the collection is in

Gavin
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I actually just bought it because of the movie. It's a great read. Well worth the $30.

Donal DeLay
11-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Still, it's fun, and the art is good. I'll probably watch the movie too. How so?

I thought it was a step up.

Most especially for Lynn Varley.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
How so?

I thought it was a step up.

Most especially for Lynn Varley.

Artwise, sure. Though I think they were trying to achieve completely different things in both series, so it doesn't make much sense to compare them... but that's a different subject. ;)

But I thought in terms of storytelling in characterization, sin city was far superior. The story was your typical "david vs. goliath" theme, with an ending that you could see coming from miles away(and again, I'll admit that my complete lack of interest for this kind of historical reenactment affected my opinion it), and the characterization was just flat and boring, showcasing those "tough guy" cliches that Miller loves so much. I can go ahead and appreciate it as a widescreen comic, and an exercise in visual storytelling, because I DO agree with all the accolades for the art, but even that would make it inferior to sin city.

To put it simply, the story wasn't my thing, and Miller didn't do anything to persuade me feel to any other way.

Gavin
11-08-2006, 03:20 PM
I love how the hunchback isn't allowed into the army. It could have been quite cliched for the outcast/underdog to be allowed in and become a hero. Instead Leonidas just rejects him immediately after finding out he can't hold the shield high enough. It's one of the little things that makes it for me.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I love how the hunchback isn't allowed into the army. It could have been quite cliched for the outcast/underdog to be allowed in and become a hero. Instead Leonidas just rejects him immediately after finding out he can't hold the shield high enough. It's one of the little things that makes it for me.

I saw that coming from a mile away too! :lol:

I'll admit that the betrayal was a surprise, though.

Gavin
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I saw that coming from a mile away too! :lol:

I'll admit that the betrayal was a surprise, though.

I'm always surprised by stuff like that. I felt bad for him, but Leonidas had a point, if he can't cut it he's a danger to the other Spartans.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm always surprised by stuff like that. I felt bad for him, but Leonidas had a point, if he can't cut it he's a danger to the other Spartans.

Eh, it just seemed typical of Miller's tough guy writing. :)

Gavin
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Eh, it just seemed typical of Miller's tough guy writing. :)

I didn't think so. There was a valid reason, not just tough guy talk.

Bill!
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I thought about picking it up, but seeing as how it would probably take about five minutes to read, I decided against it. Do yourself a favor and buy a ancient historical text about the subject by people who lived during the era. There's lots of good ones out there.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I didn't think so. There was a valid reason, not just tough guy talk.

Not exactly talk, I guess, but behavior.

Like, Leonidas is a tough guy, so naturally he knows how to act cold and heartless, instead of letting the hunchback in to the army out of pity. And since like most tough guys, the hunchback has a strong sense of honor, so he'd rather jump off a cliff instead of being denied of his dream.

Never mind, though, everyone reacts differently to these things. :)

Gavin
11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Not exactly talk, I guess, but behavior.

Like, Leonidas is a tough guy, so naturally he knows how to act cold and heartless, instead of letting the hunchback in to the army out of pity. And since like most tough guys, the hunchback has a strong sense of honor, so he'd rather jump off a cliff instead of being denied of his dream.

Never mind, though, everyone reacts differently to these things. :)

Yeah, I can see that, except:

I think the hunchback was killing himself because his dream was unreachable and he felt like he'd been lied to by his parents. Better to die then keep on living without hope.

Kefky
11-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I can see that, except:

I think the hunchback was killing himself because his dream was unreachable and he felt like he'd been lied to by his parents. Better to die then keep on living without hope.

Hmmm, could be... In retrospect, the point of the character seemed to be that he was weak-spirited. I was thinking of my first reaction when he jumped. I'm pretty sure I've seen Miller portray suicide as something "courageous" and "honorable", anyway.

Icaruss
11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Did not like it at all when it first came out. Then I read Eisner/Miller. Some pages where used as examples of Miller's work. He discussed what he was attempting to achieve, and I discovered it was possibly his best work in many regards. Worth the cake.

I love 300... but if the writer has to explain what his work is all about for someone to appreciate it, then he has pretty much failed.

:?