PDA

View Full Version : Full season order for STUDIO 60 expected soon!

bartleby
11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Cancel the Funeral: 'Studio 60' Isn't Heading Off Into the Sunset Just Yet

Despite the assurances from those in-the-know around the blogosphere that the struggling freshman NBC hour "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" was mere hours away from cancellation with its low ratings and extravagant $2 million-per-episode pricetag, the opposite now in fact appears to be true. While not yet official, key industry sources are confident that NBC will, in the next few days, announce the show's pickup for its back nine episodes (giving it a full season complement of 22) in the wake of two consecutive Mondays of upwardly-trending numbers.

I chatted this morning with its producer and chief writer Aaron Sorkin, who thought that word of the show's fate could come as soon as today but likely not until week's end or -- at latest -- next Tuesday. It's thought that NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly was desperately searching for an excuse to renew "Studio 60" -- any sign of life that would indicate even modest traction -- and unofficial word is the show's performance over the past two Mondays has supplied it.

"I'd be very surprised at this point if the show weren't picked up (for the full season) in the next couple of days," noted one source who requested anonymity.

This is naturally music to Sorkin's ears, which have had to endure a running stream of pessimistic pronouncements and predictions over the show's fate since the day after it premiered. Critics, after all, love nothing more than tearing down that which they have built up with glowing praise, particularly when it comes from the writing/production stable of a brand name like Sorkin.

"Hopefully soon people will start paying attention to the show instead of who's making it," Sorkin told me today. "I really look at it as just the cost of doing business. I knew the reaction to the show was going to be a little bit noisier than I'd prefer. But hopefully, we're finally settling in and the audience is seeing the amazing cast and acknowledges the great, committed group of people who are behind this show."

Sorkin insisted that due to the last two weeks of ratings results "we're starting to feel optimistic around here" and reminds us that "The West Wing" also wasn't a hit in its first season. That didn't come until season two.

"But I'm much more comfortable with this feeling (of struggle)," Sorkin said. "It feels like it did when I did 'Sports Night.' 'West Wing' felt starnge to me. This feels normal."

While Sorkin is now confident that the call confirming "Studio 60's" back nine renewal could come any day or hour, he's also convinced that the show's measurement isn't reflective of its actual viewership.

"The Wall Street Journal wrote that when you add in people who TiVo our show and watch it later, our audience grows 18%," he said. "That's almost a full fifth larger. But those people don't get counted and advertisers don't care, because the assumption is TiVo viewers forward through the commercials. But that's still a very significant number for us. It would add close to two rating points to our total. People watch TV differently than they used to, and to be accurate the ratings need to begin taking that into account."

http://www.pastdeadline.com/2006/11/it_looks_like_s.html

CraigM
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I was just talking about that over in the FNL thread with Denny. Also glad that the other numbers are coming out about DVR numbers, etc. I hope that order comes down soon so the talk can get away from cancellation and to how the writing on the show is getting better each week.

Craig

Greenville 90210
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
::silly dancing smiley::

Buk Was Right
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
if this turns out to be true i will kiss someone!

i don't really even care who...

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:36 PM

John Goodman.

Buk Was Right
11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
John Goodman.

you mean again?

i've said too much.

Daniel K.
11-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Fuck. Yes. :D

Sy-Klone
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, this is potentially fantastic news. :D

*fingers crossed*

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I was just talking about that over in the FNL thread with Denny. Also glad that the other numbers are coming out about DVR numbers, etc. I hope that order comes down soon so the talk can get away from cancellation and to how the writing on the show is getting better each week.

Craig

Me too. It'd be nice to be able to enjoy watching the show instead of worrying, "is this the last episode?"

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I keep hearing Sorkin had a pay or play contract. I wonder if that's true.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I keep hearing Sorkin had a pay or play contract. I wonder if that's true.
That is very true. If they yanked it off the air early then he would be paid a fee.

Craig

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
That is very true. If they yanked it off the air early then he would be paid a fee.

Link?

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Come here sexy! :heybaby:

Mister Mets
11-07-2006, 05:27 PM
That would be cool news.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Me too. It'd be nice to be able to enjoy watching the show instead of worrying, "is this the last episode?"

Exactly what I'm thinking. I've got the last three on DVR just because of that.

BENDIS!
11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
fingers crossed

The Roman Candle
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Fuck yeah! Now if we can just win the Senate, this will be the greatest day evar.

Freeway
11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Good news.

Skatonic10
11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
HAAA!!!! BITCHES!!! Fuck all you nay-sayers, this is a good show, damnit!

Patton
11-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Fuck yeah! Now if we can just win the Senate, this will be the greatest day evar.

8-)

FedEx Fanboy
11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
HAAA!!!! BITCHES!!! Fuck all you nay-sayers, this is a good show, damnit!

What?

What's going on?

I'm still drowsy from watching the 2nd episode of this horrible waste of a prime time tv slot.

Thudpucker
11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
I would like to enjoy the show but each episode is sucking more than the previous one. Last nights was barely watchable.

I'll hang in there though, I'm hoping this is all just growing pains.

Thomas Mauer
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
What?

What's going on?

I'm still drowsy from watching the 2nd episode of this horrible waste of a prime time tv slot.

Good thing then that you wasted 3 minutes reading this thread and another 30 seconds posting in it. :roll:

Thomas Mauer
11-07-2006, 06:18 PM
I would like to enjoy the show but each episode is sucking more than the previous one. Last nights was barely watchable.

I'll hang in there though, I'm hoping this is all just growing pains.

To each their own, I guess. To me, it's been getting better with each ep. Though they should find new issues than the Christian bashing soon.

cmoney
11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Is Sorkin's previous reputation really enough to spawn the laughable negative hyperbole that this show generates? I mean, there are truly awful shows on television, yet THIS is the one that draws so many people's ire?

J. Wilson
11-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm hoping this turns out to be true. I really like the show and would hate to see it die a quick death.

Thomas Mauer
11-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Is Sorkin's previous reputation really enough to spawn the laughable negative hyperbole that this show generates? I mean, there are truly awful shows on television, yet THIS is the one that draws so many people's ire?

Just look at how overhyped the US version of Coupling was. "The Next Friends! YAY!"

And when the word by word copy of the pilot with plastic people telling British jokes with American accents tanked, the NBC head honcho was the first to drop the show like a hot potato.

People are just catching on to that oftentimes, the hype is so big that the show can't possibly live up to it. Often with good reason. And then the being jaded leads to premature decrying of good shows like Studio 60.

Natty P
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Cool.

Bill?
11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
hum. cool.

Thudpucker
11-07-2006, 06:34 PM
To each their own, I guess. To me, it's been getting better with each ep. Though they should find new issues than the Christian bashing soon.

The Christian bashing is a big part of what I don't like. Not that they are Christian bashing. But because they are doing it in an unimaginative and heavy handed way and because they force it into every single episode. The horse is dead, they need to stop beating it.

bartleby
11-08-2006, 06:24 PM
TV Guide's Michael Ausiello is confirming that STUDIO 60 has gotten the full season order.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700011511&rssDate=12345678

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I just saw that posting from Ausiello, fantastic news.

CraigM
11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
TV Guide's Michael Ausiello is confirming that STUDIO 60 has gotten the full season order.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700011511&rssDate=12345678
Yes! Glad to hear that. Now, to get some more viewers on the show over the next 15 episodes.

Craig

The Stig
11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Does this mean that Friday Night Lights is on the chopping block?

THWIP!
11-08-2006, 07:18 PM
FUCK YES! I'm so fucking happy right now. Best news I've gotten all week. FUCK YES!

Bedlam66
11-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Craig
Well While Sorkin may be the king of politics Comedy is a different Animal. I'm not surprized it's takeing a few eps for them to get into a grove. Also this makes me very happy I love this show.

mlpeters
11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Between this and the election results, I'm having a pretty good day -- not that it couldn't be improved if Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse suddenly offer me work... could happen...

The Craig
11-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Elections, Rumsfeld and now I read this.

Is it Christmas already?

OMAC

Shade
11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Fantastic.

xyzzy
11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
The Christian bashing is a big part of what I don't like. Not that they are Christian bashing. But because they are doing it in an unimaginative and heavy handed way and because they force it into every single episode. The horse is dead, they need to stop beating it.

I really like the John Goodman character. Clearly religious, but also very sharp and, unless I miss my guess, very fair.

RegularJoe
11-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I really like the John Goodman character. Clearly religious, but also very sharp and, unless I miss my guess, very fair.

he likes tom. respects that he doesn't want these people standing up for him and wants to face his stuff on his own.

the thing that studio 60 is missing is the father figure. SN had Isaac, WW had bartlett...the tough love domineering proud papa who loved his family more than air but was willing to bitch slap them around when needed.

bartleby
11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
the thing that studio 60 is missing is the father figure. SN had Isaac, WW had bartlett...the tough love domineering proud papa who loved his family more than air but was willing to bitch slap them around when needed.

Yeah, I really wish there was some way to keep Wes Mendell around on a regular basis, but that basically changes the premise of the entire show.

Relaunched
11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Sorkin was always guaranteed a full season. From day one. They are just reporting it now. Even if NBC chose not to air the episodes, Studio 60 was going to keep taping.

Patton
11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Sorkin was always guaranteed a full season. From day one. They are just reporting it now. Even if NBC chose not to air the episodes, Studio 60 was going to keep taping.

You sure? I thought his deal just meant he would get paid for the episodes one way or the other.

Relaunched
11-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I think it was to guarantee a dvd deal.

Patton
11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I think it was to guarantee a dvd deal.

I wish I'd known that when I was popping xanax every Tuesday morning waiting for the ratings to come in.