PDA

View Full Version : I love The Marx Brothers' movies, but...

Boris the Blade
11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
...every time they cut to the side-stuff with the non-brothers characters, I find that I lose total interest. This is especially prevailant in A Night At The Opera.

Anyone else find that?

SCOURGE
11-07-2006, 04:23 PM
...every time they cut to the side-stuff with the non-brothers characters, I find that I lose total interest. This is especially prevailant in A Night At The Opera.

Anyone else find that?

No, I tend to enjoy it all...

Gregory
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
The movies die when they move away from the brothers. The romances are gag-inducing, and the musical numbers do nothing for me, even Harpo and Groucho's. I know the guys started with vaudeville, and they believed in packing a show with everything. But I can do without that stuff. Just give me the funny.

Afny
11-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I recently saw A Night at the Opera, and I totally agree.

changingshades
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I can see this because sometimes the supporting cast makes me weep tears of blood, I'm especially thinking Animal Crackers where everyone else just was painful to watch. However I really liked Night at the opera and Duck Soup quite a great deal as a whole.

FredC
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah. Definitely agree.

This also applies to pretty much whenever Zeppo is on screen.

FredC
11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I can see this because sometimes the supporting cast makes me weep tears of blood, I'm especially thinking Animal Crackers where everyone else just was painful to watch. However I really liked Night at the opera and Duck Soup quite a great deal as a whole.

Yeah, Duck Soup is probably their best film overall.

Boris the Blade
11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Just finished Horse Feathers for the first time, where this is actually kept to a minimum. I love it when Harpo just cuts loose.