PDA

View Full Version : Mass. Minority Neighborhoods Running Out of Ballots

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
WTF?!?!

How can you 'run out' of ballots, and how come it only happens in the 'minority neighborhoods'. Mattapan, Roxbury (where I live), and Hyde Park are the minority neighborhoods and all are in the 5 'hot spots' for crime and drugs in the city.

They are also the only neighborhoods, where apparently there haven't been enough ballots to go around.

My hubby has been waiting to vote for over a half an hour!!

Frustrated voters and pollworkers said tonight that polling places in Mattapan, Roxbury and Hyde Park are running out of ballots.

"It is incredible. People are calling me saying I'm trying to vote but I can't. They don't have any ballots. How do you run out of ballots?" said Liz Miranda, who works with the Patrick campaign and has hosted several young professionals fundraisers for Patrick.

Carol Hansen, a dental hygienist from Hyde Park, arrived at her polling place at the Henry Grew School just before 6 p.m. and discovered a line of voters.

"I was waiting for a few minutes and I was wondering what was the hold up because no one was in those terminals and a woman told em they ran out and someone was going to get some," she said. "People were waiting in line for a little bit and leaving. I don't know if they were coming back."

Hansen said she waited in line for a few minutes before going to the store and returned to the school to check on the line again only to find the line was now out the door.

"It's pretty sad," she said. "Since I've turned 18, I've gotten up there and voted for my candidate and now I'm 48. If I go back there and they don't have any ballots and I can't vote, it's not because I didn't want to, but because I wasn't allowed to."

Boston officials said ballot supplies at several polling places were "extremely low" at about 6 p.m. City spokeswoman Jennifer Mehigan said police officers have been dispatched to replenish the supplies.

A Deval Patrick campaign worker outside the Lucy Stone School in Dorchester said that polling place ran out of ballots at about 6:15 p.m. and that dozens of people have tried to vote but left because there were no ballots. "Others are waiting," said Anne Grady, who said poll workers told her they have been calling City Hall since 3:30 p.m. to get more ballots.

One city employee said city election officials have been frantic for hours, trying to transport enough ballots to polling places across the city this afternoon. The employee, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of being fired, said, "they are running out all over town."

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
This is sad.

xyzzy
11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
That sucks. Was the turnout a lot higher than expected?

RebootedCorpse
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I blame same sex marriage!

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Probably not and even if it was they should have enough ballots or another way for people to be able to vote.

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 03:53 PM

Won't know until all the figures are in later.

xyzzy
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Probably not and even if it was they should have enough ballots or another way for people to be able to vote.

They should, but if 4,000 people show up at a polling place where 1,000 showed up the year before, then there's probably not any conspiracy involved in a shortage of ballots.

On the other hand, if they were shorted even based on previous years, that looks more suspicious.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
SURPRISE!!!! I pointed out a few other nasty little tricks the cheating GOP douchebags are pulling out already. Stories all over the nation that are amazing. You had GOP robo calling Dem voters all over the country pretending to be the Democratic candidate or in some cases splicing that person's voice in the beginning of the call and bugging the shit out of people. Hang up? It calls you right back! All to piss off the voter into voting Republican or not at all. You've got conservative radio host Laura Ingraham telling her listeners to jam the phone lines of the voter fraud number today. They have all the urban areas in (surprise!) Ohio again where there were problems with the voting machines and polls opening late and long lines again. Unreal.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, apparently Deval Patrick is being projected to win so it looks like it didn't hurt him, but that needs to be looked into.

Craig

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I think its too early to go blaming GOP tricks. Could be a largely mobilized base.

It was just so weird, though, that this is the first time I have ever heard of this in all my years of voting in Boston.

If its a largely motivated voting base, than that's good.

That the state was under prepared for it is bad.

Bill Nolan
11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
SURPRISE!!!! I pointed out a few other nasty little tricks the cheating GOP douchebags are pulling out already. Stories all over the nation that are amazing.

I doubt that's happening in BOSTON, tho'... :no:

- B

JBElliott
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
On one hand, it could be a sign that the "vote is really getting out."

On the other hand, it could be just more of the man keeping us down. And by "the man" I mean me, and by "us" I mean "you."

Smokinblues
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
fucking red states

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Looks like Mass. ballot shortages are due to a 'record turnout'

More Massachusetts residents likely will have voted today than in any gubernatorial election in state history, based on numbers across the state, as voters from Boston to Springfield turned out in unexpectedly large numbers to elect either the state's first African-American or first woman chief executive.

Election officials in a number of communities said turnout may surpass the previous record for a nonpresidential election of 2.4 million in 1990 when Republican William Weld defeated Democrat John Silber to usher in 16 years of GOP control of the governor's office.

Today in Boston, 87,748 people had voted by 3 p.m. -- roughly the halfway point in voting -- putting the city on a pace to eclipse the 159,889 who voted in 1990. Numerous cities and town such as Waltham and Worcester also reported near-record turnouts by late afternoon.

The bumper crop of voters is largely a reflection of interest in the gubernatorial race between Democrat Deval Patrick and his Republican opponent Kerry Healey since few other statewide races, including the race for the US Senate seat held by Ted Kennedy, are seen as close. Patrick, whose get-out-the-vote effort brought hundreds of thousands of new voters into the September primary, held a double-digit lead over Healey in recent polls, but Healey spent millions of her own money in a sometimes-bitter attempt to close the gap.

"This particular election has the voters very excited," said Denise Jordan, chairman of Springfield's election commission, predicting that 60 percent of the city's 83,000 registered voters would turn out. "People want to be a part of history."

Officials at MassVOTE, a nonpartisan group that promotes voting, predicted that the number of voters will break the 1990 gubernatorial turnout record, though with an important caveat: there are 800,000 more voters today than in 1990 because of an easing of voter registration procedures.

Nearly 75 percent of the eligible voters came out in 1990, while today's turnout is likely to be closer to 65 percent. Still, MassVOTE officials said they were impressed with the surge of voter interest.

"It's going to be neck and neck ... but I feel like we're going to beat the record" from 1990, said MassVOTE executive director Avi Green. "I am psyched."

Election officials across the state said they were surprised and pleased by the big turnout. In the bedroom community of Burlington, a little more than half of the city's 14,180 voters had cast ballots by 5 p.m., putting the town on a pace to eclipse the total number of ballots cast in 1990.

"I'm thinking we're probably going to hit 75 percent by the end of the day," said Burlington town clerk Jane Chew, representing nearly 1,000 more votes cast than in the 1990 election. "As long as the rain holds off, everybody will be fine."

A spokesman for Secretary of State William Galvin declined to predict a record turn-out statewide based on the vote through late afternoon.

"The turnout will pass 2002, but by how much depends on what the after-work surge is like," said the spokesman, Brian McNiff.

The 2006 election is similar to 2002, when 2.2 million of the state's 4 million voters turned out to elect newcomer Romney, but analysts say at least two factors boosted turnout much higher: First, Patrick's sophisticated get-out-the-vote effort, which resulted in the biggest primary election turnout since 1990, and a record $43 million spent on the campaign, which saturated the airwaves with advertising.

In Plymouth, one of the suburban towns that Kerry Healey had targeted as a possible stronghold, election officials predicted a high turnout, but not necessarily a Healey triumph. Town clerk Laurence Pizer said that local voters seemed turned off by the strong negative tone of her campaign, saying, "People were truly offended by that."

Likewise, in Medford, resident Luis Franco said he's voted for Republicans in past gubernatorial races, but he voted for Deval Patrick today. "I think the Republican Party has lost touch with reality," said Franco, a hotel worker and unenrolled voter. "I voted mostly, hopefully, for a change."

Even if the number of voters exceeds the 1990 total, it is unlikely to top the modern record for turnout by percentage. In 1970, when Boston Mayor Kevin White was defeated by Republican Frank Sargent, 76 percent of the 2.6 million voters cast a ballot. In 1960, when Massachusetts governors were still elected to two-year terms, more than 90 percent of voters turned out, but that had more to do with the fact that John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts was running for president that year.

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry, Ron. I missed that and thought it was about another area where this was happening. Also, apparently in Maryland Republicans are getting homeless people to vote and giving them sample ballots saying Michael Steele is the Democrat.

Bill Nolan
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Watching the election returns tonight, I was shocked to find out that Ted Kennedy was up for re-election this year. I live on the border, I watch MA news on MA TV stations... never heard one word of this...

- B

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Watching the election returns tonight, I was shocked to find out that Ted Kennedy was up for re-election this year. I live on the border, I watch MA news on MA TV stations... never heard one word of this...

- B

that's because Ted Kennedy winning in Mass. goes without saying. ;-)

NickT
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry, Ron. I missed that and thought it was about another area where this was happening. Also, apparently in Maryland Republicans are getting homeless people to vote and giving them sample ballots saying Michael Steele is the Democrat.
Apparently, John Kerry is out on the streets giving the kids of Republican voters poisoned milk. Apparently.

;)

costello
11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Damn... when did booths open up? 6:15 seems a little early.

DaveCummings
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
SURPRISE!!!! I pointed out a few other nasty little tricks the cheating GOP douchebags are pulling out already.

Dude, what the fuck?!?! Here in Indiana, there are pictures of people outside of polling places handing out sandwiches with cards and these same people are using loudspeakers to tell people to vote democrat.

Oh and plus, here in Marion County, a rather large amount of polling places in heavily republican areas were moved and the people in the area were not informed of it.

So, don't give me that bullshit that it's a GOP conspiracy when the fucking democrats are pulling the same bullshit!

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 06:41 PM

The polls in the area are open from 7 am - 8 pm

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Dude, what the fuck?!?! Here in Indiana, there are pictures of people outside of polling places handing out sandwiches with cards and these same people are using loudspeakers to tell people to vote democrat.

Oh and plus, here in Marion County, a rather large amount of polling places in heavily republican areas were moved and the people in the area were not informed of it.

So, don't give me that bullshit that it's a GOP conspiracy when the fucking democrats are pulling the same bullshit!

How are the democrats involved in moving a polling place?

I'd like to figure that one out.

Since all you have to do is type in your address and you can find out where to vote.

Did the dems pick up the buliding so that the republican voters can't vote?

Blake Sims
11-07-2006, 06:45 PM

The one I worked at today opened at 6 am and closed at 6 pm. I had to be there at 5:30.

Shwicaz
11-07-2006, 06:47 PM
DAve Cummings:

Polling places are determined by the Municipal Electoral Committee upon the proposition of the body in charge of maintaining voters list, the latest 20 days before the Election Day.

Polling places need to have enough room so that all members of the polling committee can always freely control and have accesses to ballot boxes and election material, and must also be visibly marked. Polling place is determined for voting by maximum of 1000 voters. A voter votes on polling place in which he or she is listed in quotation from the voters list. Polling places in one election unit are opened at 08:00 , and closed in 21:00 hours. During working hours a polling place must remain opened at all times. If there is public disorder on a polling place, polling committee may stop the voting while conditions for continuation of normal procedure of voting are resumed. If the voting was interrupted for more then an hour, polling place will remain open after normal closure hours as much as the interruption lasted. Members of the police and other uniformed personnel are not allowed access to polling place, except in cases of disorder, following a call from and agreement among the members of the polling committee. No one is allowed to bring weapons or any other dangerous objects. It is forbidden for any person not having rights and duties regarding implementation of elections to spend longer time on a polling place. Display of symbols of political parties or any other promotional material that may influence voters is forbidden on all polling places and within 50 meters diameter. No phones or mobile phones are allowed on polling places. While voting is ongoing, all members of the polling committee or their deputies must be present.

Prior to opening a polling place, polling committee appoints one member from permanent composition by drawing lots, who, in presence of other members, visibly damages the seal by making a cut in it or burning the rubber bottom of the stamp, and also a permanent member who will be stamping ballot papers using the damaged stamp immediately before a ballot paper is passed on to a voter. Also, a member who separates the control coupon after voting, and a member in charge of voting outside of the polling place are also chosen by drawing lots. Ballot papers must be placed in such an order that is based on serial numbers on control coupons, and are issued to voters in that order. Polling committee examines the ballot box with the presence of the first voter that comes to vote. Result of the control is entered in control paper which is signed by the members of polling committee and the voter who came first to the polling place. After this, the control paper is put in the ballot box, and then it is sealed in presence of the mentioned voter, which is entered in the minutes on activities of the polling committee.

I see nothing in this that says that dems are in control of choosing, or moving polling places.

Thomas Mauer
11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
If y'all have to REGISTER to vote, shouldn't that give the organizers of the local polling places an idea how many ballots will be needed? And shouldn't there be an overhead available as well just in case? Christ it sucks to read stuff like this.

RickLM
11-07-2006, 07:04 PM
If y'all have to REGISTER to vote, shouldn't that give the organizers of the local polling places an idea how many ballots will be needed? And shouldn't there be an overhead available as well just in case? Christ it sucks to read stuff like this.

It seems to me that a lot of Secretaries of State, in many states, are fairly incompetent. I know that's a blanket statement, but so be it. They are in charge of elections, which means checking the machines and ballots and the whole bit. Sadly, too many of these people are basically waiting for the day they can run for governor and don't give a crap about a well-run election day.

RickLM
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Michigan voted no on dove hunting and put the kibbosh on the eminent domain thing. Good news on both.

DaveCummings
11-07-2006, 07:09 PM
How are the democrats involved in moving a polling place?

I'd like to figure that one out.

Since all you have to do is type in your address and you can find out where to vote.

Did the dems pick up the buliding so that the republican voters can't vote?

All I'm doing is repeating what was said on the local news. Marion County is Indianapolis, in which a democrat, Bart Peterson is mayor. Accusations were made not because they were moved, but because voters in the area were not notified.

But, my post was in response to Brad's accusation of a GOP conspiracy involving the underestimation of ballots in a minority area.

I just get tired of every election day, both sides like to play the whole disenfranchisement card in an attempt to invalidate the other's victory. I think alot of people are growing tired of it. I mean, if it's obvious that it is something like that which is happening, I have no problem with accusation. If not, both sides need to shut the fuck up and fucking lose and win with dignaty.

I mean, I am so fucking sick and tired of Republicans and Democrats. Both sides are too busy to either keep power for thier party or take it that they don't give a flying fuck for the voter.

Speaking of which if the Democrats take charge, I really hope that they don't fuck it up by going through countless investigations and hearings. If they do, all it's going to do is piss people off and push people to vote republican again.

~Dave

Thomas Mauer
11-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Speaking of which if the Democrats take charge, I really hope that they don't fuck it up by going through countless investigations and hearings. If they do, all it's going to do is piss people off and push people to vote republican again.

Remember the reconciliation speech by Laura Roslind on BSG two weeks ago? :D

ClintP
11-08-2006, 04:47 AM
That is odd. I noticed some other people mentioned something like this too. I didn't hear about it in my part of the world as a problem.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 04:49 AM
I mean, I am so fucking sick and tired of Republicans and Democrats. Both sides are too busy to either keep power for thier party or take it that they don't give a flying fuck for the voter.

This has a ring of truth for me. Both parties can kiss my ass.