PDA

View Full Version : 11/6 Studio 60 *spoilers*

speedr
11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
i couldn't find a thread on last night's episode. i know the board was down during it's airing.

i thought last night was reaaally good. probably my favorite one so far. the show seems to work better when it's more like sports night than the west wing. john goodman was of course great. and previews for next week look good.

so what did everyone think?

xyzzy
11-07-2006, 03:47 PM
John Goodman was great.

The less they show of the sketch comedy, the better.

Buk Was Right
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
classic sorkin: start at the end work your way back.

also the whole thing about tom not wanting to reveal why he was speeding.

fekkin' cock tease.

my girlfriend didn't notice that it said "part I" at the beginning... so she was pretty pissed about the to be continued...

Mister Mets
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM
It was a pretty good episode.

Loved the domino effect of bad things happening, perfection of the flashback narrative, and John Goodman.

Piechuck
11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I loved it! John Goodman kicks ass

Patton
11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
my girlfriend didn't notice that it said "part I" at the beginning... so she was pretty pissed about the to be continued...

Heh. Mine too.

As for the episode, one of my favorites. And I actually laughed at the sketch a little, which worried me because all the characters didn't think it was funny.

And did anyone else notice the story was by Mark McKinney?

Vonn Hennigar
11-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Good episode, but holee shit John Goodman is FAT!

Well he's always been Fat but he's taking it to another level, i'm surprised he didn't die during filming.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Heh. Mine too.

As for the episode, one of my favorites. And I actually laughed at the sketch a little, which worried me because all the characters didn't think it was funny.

And did anyone else notice the story was by Mark McKinney?
Actually, Danny was the one who really didn't think it was funny. Matt could see he wasn't hitting the right points. However, the cast thought it was funny as Harriet said it in the diner.

Craig

Skatonic10
11-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I actually like the "behind the scenes" aspect of the show. But I did enjoy the episode, just not as much as some of the others.

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I think this was actually my favorite episode so far. This would have been a great episode to bring in new viewers.

dEnny!
11-07-2006, 04:22 PM
What I don't understand is how Medium is still on, but Studio 60 is struggling to survive.

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Actually, Danny was the one who really didn't think it was funny. Matt could see he wasn't hitting the right points. However, the cast thought it was funny as Harriet said it in the diner.

Craig

The new writer thought it was all over the place. And Harriet was the only person who said it was funny if I remember right.

Buk Was Right
11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
i loved jack's flabergastedness (in all likelyhood it's actually a word) at someone wanting to meet tom...

all i kept hearing in my head was jason bateman saying "really? her?"

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
What I don't understand is how Medium is still on, but Studio 60 is struggling to survive.

Because it's a well written, extremely well acted show.

Why Studio 60 struggles, no clue.

There's a weird thing about TV I've noticed this year. More than other mediums discussed here, I see people hold thier own opinion as the be all. "If I don't like it, no one should." I'm not singling you out, I'm guilty of the same thing with shows like According to Jim or Dancing with the Stars. But I don't see that as often as when we discuss comics. It's interesting.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
The new writer thought it was all over the place. And Harriet was the only person who said it was funny if I remember right.
He said the rewrites were all over the place. Also, I thought the others agreed that it was funny while in the diner or that it was good.

Craig

Patton
11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
He said the rewrites were all over the place. Also, I thought the others agreed that it was funny while in the diner or that it was good.

Craig

I watched it again and I didn't hear anyone say anything about the quality. Not that I have a problem with that. One of everyone else's gripes is that they pat themselves on the back too much.

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 07:49 PM
One of my favorite episodes so far. I was convinced that the deputy was Topher Grace for about five minutes.

Thudpucker
11-07-2006, 07:53 PM
John Goodman did a great acting job, as always. Was thrilled when I saw him on the show.

I'm worried for him though. He is HUGE now, I had no idea he had gained that much weight in recent years. And he seemed exhausted.

WillieLee
11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
John Goodman did a great acting job, as always. Was thrilled when I saw him on the show.

I'm worried for him though. He is HUGE now, I had no idea he had gained that much weight in recent years. And he seemed exhausted.

He's the unhealthiest 54 year-old I have ever seen.

Alex K.
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Tom has steadily grown to be my favorite character on the show. The "you sent assasins?" line killed me.

TheTravis!
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Tom has steadily grown to be my favorite character on the show. The "you sent assasins?" line killed me.

And if he plays his cards right, he's going to score with a 19-year old asian girl. Go, Tom, go!

THWIP!
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
It was a good episode and it was classic Sorkin so I loved it. I'll add to being surprised about how huge John Goodman was. I couldn't believe it and he looked like he was about to pass out midscene. I love Jack, best he was in this episode. I just want Danny to be more developed, it's pissing me off because of how well we knew Josh on The West Wing.

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 04:10 AM
John Goodman was great.

The less they show of the sketch comedy, the better.

The Standards and Practices Jesus was actually kind of funny.

What the hell is up with John Goodman though, he looks worse and worse each time I see him.

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 04:12 AM

Because Medium is less highbrow. Don't get me wrong, I happen to like Medium, but it's not exactly going to set off any academic discussions.

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 04:13 AM

I thought Goodman was looking bad during his guest role on The West Wing, but he REALLY looks bad now.

J. Wilson
11-08-2006, 04:13 AM
And if he plays his cards right, he's going to score with a 19-year old asian girl. Go, Tom, go!

Ahh yes, don't we all hope for that?

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Because it's a well written, extremely well acted show.

Why Studio 60 struggles, no clue.

There's a weird thing about TV I've noticed this year. More than other mediums discussed here, I see people hold thier own opinion as the be all. "If I don't like it, no one should." I'm not singling you out, I'm guilty of the same thing with shows like According to Jim or Dancing with the Stars. But I don't see that as often as when we discuss comics. It's interesting.

I might grant you well written, but considering who plays the lead you will never convince me of well acted.

What i see with comics is if someone says something negative about Marvel people will jump on them for their opinion (Thud's 28 pages of Ads thread) or you get, "Well they're better than DC," which is neither here nor there. If you say this DC title is boring you'll get, "yeah, well Marvel's stories are decompressed." HUH?

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 04:24 AM

I think her father would have him killed by ninjas.

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 04:26 AM
It was a good episode and it was classic Sorkin so I loved it. I'll add to being surprised about how huge John Goodman was. I couldn't believe it and he looked like he was about to pass out midscene. I love Jack, best he was in this episode. I just want Danny to be more developed, it's pissing me off because of how well we knew Josh on The West Wing.

Bradley Whitford was awesome as Josh on The West Wing. I completely agree that I would like to see more of Danny, but they may be holding off since he just got off The West Wing as opposed to Perry who's not been seen for a few years.

chamber715
11-08-2006, 05:01 AM
I think her father would have him killed by ninjas.

Except that ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese.

dEnny!
11-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Except that ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese.

It was a joke, quick draw.

BenH
11-08-2006, 06:54 AM
I thought it was a pretty good episode, but almost all of my co-workers thought it was their worst installment yet. Can't please everyone, I guess...