PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ!

CraigM
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Are you really not allowed to take the lord's name in vain in a television show?

Last night's episode of Studio 60 mentioned the fact that it's not allowed to use the lord's name in vain, thus you could only use the lord's name when actually talking about the lord. "Jesus Christ, thank you for this food today, etc."

Is this actually true? Are our networks and the FCC not allowing those words on the air in the form of "God damnit! Jesus Christ, shut up!" and so forth? If so, why? Also, I was listening to commercial radio earlier today, and there was a song titled "Smack That Ass" on, but they kept bleeping out ass. Since when did it become against the rules to say ass on the radio?

Just things I was thinking about today pertaining to censorship.

Hopefully someone will have the answers.

Craig

Race
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Budda dammit!

Brad N.
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't think it's one of the 7 deadly words or whatever, just an unwritten rule as it's RARE to hear it on TV.

Jim T.
11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Radio stations and TV stations live in fear of FCC actions so they've gone out and set rules that stifle content. That way they won't get in trouble. This is the post-Nipplegate world we live in.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Radio stations and TV stations live in fear of FCC actions so they've gone out and set rules that stifle content. That way they won't get in trouble. This is the post-Nipplegate world we live in.
It's just crazy though. The FCC has guidelines and if it actually says that you can't say ass on the radio or Jesus Christ on television, then what are you allowed to say? Plus, Jesus Christ? Come on now. What ever happened to the separation of church and state? Oh, that's right, that went right out the window back in 2000.

Craig

Jim T.
11-07-2006, 12:11 PM
It's just crazy though. The FCC has guidelines and if it actually says that you can't say ass on the radio or Jesus Christ on television, then what are you allowed to say? Plus, Jesus Christ? Come on now. What ever happened to the separation of church and state? Oh, that's right, that went right out the window back in 2000.

Craig

Dunno. It's not really a separation of chuch & state issue - it's more a matter of how much say the religious right has in our gov't these days. When someone says something naughty on the air, the FCC gets deluged with form letters generated by a handful of religious groups. They all say the same thing and yet they're all treated as being as separate complaints. So when the FCC says it received 1500 complaints about something, it fails to mention they call came on the same form from the same organization's members. It's nuts. Get a satellite radio and HBO - eventually, only those who can afford it will be able to enjoy free speech on their airwaves.

Race
11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Cuss words, while not endorsed by myself, don't bother me.

Casually flinging JC and GD around, does bother me.

Donal DeLay
11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
It's considered a swear word, and swears, like female nipples, are not allowed for public eyes/ears. So, when the villain is, in plain view, cutting a small childs brain from his head, and stubs his toe on the chair, he's only allowed to say "DAMMIT!"

Taken from the FCC website: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/obscene.html

Profane Broadcast Restrictions

The FCC has defined profanity as “including language so grossly offensive to members of the public who actually hear it as to amount to a nuisance.”

Like indecency, profane speech is prohibited on broadcast radio and television between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Ben Weldon
11-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I think they ban it because they are afraid that one day someone will inadvertanly say it backwards and send him back to the 5th dimension.

"Tsirch Susej"
"Curse you Superman!!!"

BWC Boston
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
HINT: If it were really that big a deal, a big-budget network show like STUDIO 60 wouldn't have spent so much time almost doing it.

Donal DeLay
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Seperation of Church & State?

HA! What dream world have you been living in. NEVER. Existed.

TIP
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Crom Plook!

Ryan Elliott
11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
GODdamn them all.

Taxman
11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Jesus Christ!As soon as I saw this, I knew that the only thing that could generate a reaction like this out of Craig was that he had just learned of the deletion of Howlett's account.

Hang in there Craig, Howlett will be back with us soon.

CraigM
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
As soon as I saw this, I knew that the only thing that could generate a reaction like this out of Craig was that he had just learned of the deletion of Howlett's account.

Hang in there Craig, Howlett will be back with us soon.
Oh. Yeah. That's um... what I meant.

His account was deleted?

Craig

Taxman
11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think it's one of the 7 deadly words or whatever, just an unwritten rule as it's RARE to hear it on TV.I know I have seen :god damn it" bleeped many times.

Skatonic10
11-07-2006, 12:40 PM
its not so much illegal, as it is taboo. Mind you, that's only on the broadcast networks. Cable networks (obviously) have much more free reign - and don't have to worry about FCC regulations

stevapalooza
11-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I thought Jesus wanted us to think about him all the time. Why would he object to us saying his name a lot? Jesus Christ with all these rules!

FredC
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Sweet zombie Jesus!

Taxman
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
His account was deleted?

CraigSeveral were. Some kind of data loss.