PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: The Movie DVD 20th Anniversary Edition

Evan Wiener
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Who's getting this double-dip? From what I hear, it's worth getting, so I picked it up today. Can't wait to get home to watch tonight after I vote. I hear the extras are very good.

Just so everyone knows, Circuit City is selling this for $12.99. I went to Best Buy and they did a price-match for me at register with my CC circular showing their price, so I could use Best Buy bucks from MCDs!

Rosdower 3.0
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Who's getting this double-dip? From what I hear, it's worth getting, so I picked it up today. Can't wait to get home to watch tonight after I vote. I hear the extras are very good.

According to this article, it's definetely worth it...and since I don't have it on DVD yet, I'll be picking it up!

10/10 review!!! http://dvd.ign.com/articles/742/742372p1.html

Natty P
11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
.....I...stiiiill.......functioonnnnnn....

Petey Parker
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I ordered it from Deep Discount DVD so I have to wait. It was only $13.15 on there (wasn't aware of the CC price when I ordered it but it still ends up being cheaper after tax) I've already got the other version on DVD so I'm not in a rush to watch it right away. Even without the extras its been cleaned up and is finally widescreen so its worth it.

Akira
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
This could barely ocunt as a double dip. The original was so pathetic, what with the disgusting transfer and horrible extras. This is the version they should have released in the first place.

Evan Wiener
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
This could barely ocunt as a double dip. The original was so pathetic, what with the disgusting transfer and horrible extras. This is the version they should have released in the first place.

Yeah, it wasn't a good release and was full screen only. Now that I have a wide screen TV, I'm itching to watch this tonight. Was the original movie in the theater in wide screen format? I can't remember at all, not that I'd know at 7 years old.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-07-2006, 10:42 AM

Just so everyone knows, Circuit City is selling this for $12.99. I went to Best Buy and they did a price-match for me at register with my CC circular showing their price, so I could use Best Buy bucks from MCDs!

This is of course a double-dip, but there is a certain window of time in which a double dip (with killer extras) can slide through without much fuss. I think this is one of those times. :)

JHester
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
This is an unbelieveable release. The picture is awesome and the extras rule! Several easter eggs.12.95 @ circuit city

Evan Wiener
11-07-2006, 11:21 AM
This is an unbelieveable release. The picture is awesome and the extras rule! Several easter eggs.12.95 @ circuit city

The extras are good huh? What are easter eggs?

Adam Beranek
11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Hey!!! Nobody calls Soundwave unkrozzomatic!!!!

JHester
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
The extras are good huh? What are easter eggs?

Easter Eggs = Hidden features on the disc. The original Japanese TF commercials are EE's on the first disc. Go to Tformers.com for more info.

Evan Wiener
11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Easter Eggs = Hidden features on the disc. The original Japanese TF commercials are EE's on the first disc. Go to Tformers.com for more info.

SPOILERS!!! (haha, I kid!)

Cool, I will check that out. :)

YouStayClassy
11-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Ex-freaking-actly.

God, this new version excites me.... in many ways.:shifty:

Concerning the Easter Eggs... is the full Stan Bush video on here by any chance?

Prime
11-08-2006, 12:42 AM
is it really in true widescreen though?

Or has the full frame just had matte bars added to top and bottom?

I'm swure I read that there was no true WS version and that the theatre version was shown this way

Can someone compare the fullscreen/widescreen picture and make sure the height is the same?

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Coronation Starscream? This is bad comedy.

BWC Boston
11-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Ex-freaking-actly.

God, this new version excites me.... in many ways.:shifty:

Concerning the Easter Eggs... is the full Stan Bush video on here by any chance?

You're welcome.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=30BFrLl07r4&mode=related&search=

is it really in true widescreen though?

Or has the full frame just had matte bars added to top and bottom?

I'm swure I read that there was no true WS version and that the theatre version was shown this way

Can someone compare the fullscreen/widescreen picture and make sure the height is the same?

That seems like an awful lot of work for someone who's not Google to do.

Evan Wiener
11-08-2006, 05:37 AM
So I watched some of it last night, and the "color corrections" look really off to me. Some of the frames look really bright now, to the point where I actually noticed it and I haven't seen the movie in a couple years. Hot Rod looks almost magenta in some frames. Anyone else feel the same way?

Some of the extras were pretty cool. Included is a Japanese exclusive episode that came out that the US never saw that recaps seasons 1/2 and then shows a new story introducing Ultra Magnus and others that takes place before the movie, establishing those characters before they're just thrown at the audience in the movie. The commentary is from a couple fanboys.

ImYrWoodbury
11-08-2006, 05:44 AM
I've got better things to do tonight than die.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:19 AM
So I watched some of it last night, and the "color corrections" look really off to me. Some of the frames look really bright now, to the point where I actually noticed it and I haven't seen the movie in a couple years. Hot Rod looks almost magenta in some frames. Anyone else feel the same way?

Some of the extras were pretty cool. Included is a Japanese exclusive episode that came out that the US never saw that recaps seasons 1/2 and then shows a new story introducing Ultra Magnus and others that takes place before the movie, establishing those characters before they're just thrown at the audience in the movie. The commentary is from a couple fanboys.

I've known about Scamble City for years and years now. Used to circulate on low quality vhs. Now its on dvd. Unfortunately there's people talking over it rather than subtitles, but whatever. I was kind of surprised that the two guys were a little ho hum about Transformers. I could do better commentary than that. I hope the fan commentary on the movie is better. Would have loved to have been a part of that...

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
.....I...stiiiill.......functioonnnnnn....

Wanna bet?

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Hey!!! Nobody calls Soundwave unkrozzomatic!!!!

Yeah! Let's kick tailgate!

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Coronation Starscream? This is bad comedy.

Megatron? Is that U?

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
My God... EVERY SINGLE TIME I see the scene of Hot Rod turning into Rodimus I get chills down my spine and turn back into a 6 year old.

I :heart: this movie more than life itself methinks.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 08:09 AM
My God... EVERY SINGLE TIME I see the scene of Hot Rod turning into Rodimus I get chills down my spine and turn back into a 6 year old.

Now...light our darkest hour!

You've got the touch! You've got the power!

I knew you had it in you, lad!

Destiny....you cannot....destroy my....destiinnnnNNNNNNNYYYYYYY.

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM

Nothing cooler than Rodimus running down a hallway full of explosions. Damn, I wish I had all the toys still.... my inner child is dying to re-enact that scene.

ImYrWoodbury
11-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Nothing cooler than Rodimus running down a hallway full of explosions. Damn, I wish I had all the toys still.... my inner child is dying to re-enact that scene.

Capped off perfectly by him saying with his big boy voice, "Autobots! Transform and roll out!".

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Capped off perfectly by him saying with his big boy voice, "Autobots! Transform and roll out!".

Yeah.... damn this movie is just about perfect.

And having "The Touch" blasting in the background certainly didn't hurt the kickass factor any....

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Judd Nelson = greatest human ever.

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Yep, pretty much.

abuddah
11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Wanna bet?

STARRRRRRSSSCCCCRREEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I love how every Transformers thread turns into iconic quotes from the movie.

"Such heroic nonsense!"

Dreg
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
"Why settle for a peek, Daniel, when you can see everything from 'Lookout Mountain'?"

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
"Why settle for a peek, Daniel, when you can see everything from 'Lookout Mountain'?"

That dramatic pause between "from" and "Lookout" OWNS!8-)

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Me Grimlock say you're full of Ceseium Salami!

Berilliym bologna!

abuddah
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Dude I'm watching Scramble City with fan commentary. The nerd-o-meter is pinning on red
8-)

YouStayClassy
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Dude I'm watching Scramble City with fan commentary. The nerd-o-meter is pinning on red
8-)

I can't wait to fire up that commentary track.

Dreg
11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
8-)

Sooooo many giant combiner robots.

Allgold
11-08-2006, 01:13 PM
That is such a shitty cover though.

JackBauer
11-08-2006, 01:17 PM
This isn't a coronation, this is bad comedy! :D

ImYrWoodbury
11-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious. Very well.

Howlett
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah.... damn this movie is just about perfect.

And having "The Touch" blasting in the background certainly didn't hurt the kickass factor any....

There is nothing about the above that I can disagree with :cool:

This movie shaped my bloody childhood. Awesome stuff :cool:

Evan Wiener
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone else feel the color corrections felt a bit off? I think I liked the movie being a darker tone. I've heard those mysterious dark areas of frames throughout the movie, (such as the scene where Prime falls to his shoulder after the fight and Hot Rod runs to him and apologizes) were errors in the animation and dirt or something on the cells. Is that true? I thought they were used for dramatic effect.

My wife was looking at me very strange while I was watching the Scramble City episode and hearing the commentary nerd tracks. It was that look of "I knew I married a nerd, but..."

Hot Rod: "Doesn't this remind you of anything?"
Kup (spoken in eerie dramatic fashion): "Nope. I haven't anything like this before..."

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
That dramatic pause between "from" and "Lookout" OWNS!8-)

Susan Blu pokes fun at how he says that in the commentary. :)

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Cybertron and all it's moons belong to ME!

Howlett
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Cybertron and all it's moons belong to ME!

But remember, WE belong to HIM!

moonspider
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
PRIME!!!you said this would lead us in our darkest hour

Adrian B AWESOME
11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Shit! What are we going to do now?!

The Afroman
11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, I went out and bought the new 20th anniversary Edition of the Transformers movie. To those who were wondering, here’s a screen capture comparison.

Original Rhino release:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF_original.jpg

New Full Screen transfer:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF_FF.jpg

New Widescreen transfer:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF-WS.jpg

Like stated by others, it seems the “widescreen” version is really nothing more than a matted version of the full screen film (you get to see a tiny bit more on the sides but you lose a bunch on the top and bottom). This seems to be a case where it is actually good to watch the full frame version because you actually get to see more of the film.

Alittle dissappointed.

Marcdachamp
11-09-2006, 12:11 PM
"EX-CUSE ME!"

Slag was never more badass.

"ME GRIMLOCK NEED NEW STRATEGY."

Howlett
11-09-2006, 12:20 PM
"EX-CUSE ME!"

That line makes me laugh everytime, purely because I believe Slag was being genuinely polite for some reason :lol:

Evan Wiener
11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok, I went out and bought the new 20th anniversary Edition of the Transformers movie. To those who were wondering, here’s a screen capture comparison.

Original Rhino release:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF_original.jpg

New Full Screen transfer:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF_FF.jpg

New Widescreen transfer:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/smokehouse/other/TF-WS.jpg

Like stated by others, it seems the “widescreen” version is really nothing more than a matted version of the full screen film (you get to see a tiny bit more on the sides but you lose a bunch on the top and bottom). This seems to be a case where it is actually good to watch the full frame version because you actually get to see more of the film.

Alittle dissappointed.

The extras were a nice touch, but I was surprised by the color corrections and the cropping of the widescreen version. Not sure why these weren't mentioned in the enthusiastic 10/10 score on IGN.

The Afroman
11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah.. i'm shocked it got as high as it did... now that i see the cropped picture.. i'm a bit angry, as they claimed this was theatrical release, and we got a cropped full screen.

UltimateQuintessa
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I bought this earlier today and watched it. Seeing Starscream die I teared up a little bit, just like when I was six.

YouStayClassy
11-10-2006, 03:45 AM
I bought this earlier today and watched it. Seeing Starscream die I teared up a little bit, just like when I was six.

Ths movie wreacked (sp?) havoc on my emotions when I was start age. This was like the ultimate adventure: sadness, joy, sorrow, dancing, massive kick assery.... what an EPIC!

Dreg
11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
"EX-CUSE ME!"

He burned a hole in Unicron's ass!

moonspider
11-10-2006, 06:31 AM
YOU GOT THE TOUCH!!!!!

YouStayClassy
11-10-2006, 01:50 PM
YOU GOT THE TOUCH!!!!!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000023XJS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116041931_.jpg

Ben
11-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah.. i'm shocked it got as high as it did... now that i see the cropped picture.. i'm a bit angry, as they claimed this was theatrical release, and we got a cropped full screen.Most animated movies are produced fullscreen and cropped for teh theatrical release because they know it's going to be watched on TV more often than in the theater. This doesn't make the WS version less valid, however, since the cropped widescreen ratio may be the director's intended aspect ratio for the movie. "More screen" doesn't mean better or worse. It's about what the director's intentions are. This is art we're talking about, and it wouldn't sound so silly if I was talking about any other movie...

Evan Wiener
11-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Ok, I've watched it a couple times now with commentary tracks, and I must say this is a very very good rerelease. It had a lot of nice touches and extras, and Flint Dille's commentary was pretty informative. The director's English is limited, but does make some interesting notes about color schemes for the movie: Autobots always have orange themes, Decepticons - purple.

The color corrections don't bother me quite as much as they first did, and really brighten it up in some scenes that really needed it. Some look too bright and the backgrounds almost look too prominent in the very beginning (the scenes of the first planet Unicron eats, especially).

All in all, a great DVD set, and allowed me to get a new appreciation for what should have been a forgettable 90-minute commercial for toys from 1986. The background paintings are amazing work, some of the shading on those characters in a movie from 1986 look better than many you see today. And it still looks better than the 3-D animated Transformers you see today.

David Aspmo
11-11-2006, 11:46 PM
The director's English is limited, but does make some interesting notes about color schemes for the movie: Autobots always have orange themes, Decepticons - purple.
Thing was, though, you could tell Flint Dille and Susan Blu didn't understand 90% of what he was trying to say (a: because of his limited english, but also becaue they aren't visual artists), and were just humoring him like they might a child. Especially when he would interrupt right in the middle of one of their anecdotes. I actually found it somewhat uncomfortable.

I kind of wish they had done a whole separate track for Shin, maybe with an english speaking artist who could have helped him get out what he was trying to say. It felt like there was a lot more stuff I would have liked to have heard about from him.

David Aspmo

Evan Wiener
11-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Thing was, though, you could tell Flint Dille and Susan Blu didn't understand 90% of what he was trying to say (a: because of his limited english, but also becaue they aren't visual artists), and were just humoring him like they might a child. Especially when he would interrupt right in the middle of one of their anecdotes. I actually found it somewhat uncomfortable.

I kind of wish they had done a whole separate track for Shin, maybe with an english speaking artist who could have helped him get out what he was trying to say. It felt like there was a lot more stuff I would have liked to have heard about from him.

David Aspmo

Agreed, it felt really awkward. It's a shame, and I can't tell if it is his limited english or age that made his commentary odd. He often interrupted with comments out of context to the discussion. I'm sure he has interesting insight into the creation of such a wonderfully animated film, but it was clearly lost by being a bad mix of commenters.

moonspider
11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
you got the poweeeeeeeeeeeeeeer