PDA

View Full Version : Rodriguez (Freddy) talks Grindhouse

Rosdower 3.0
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
http://movies.ign.com/articles/744/744353p1.html

November 6, 2006 - Actor Freddy Rodriguez is a busy man. Perhaps best known for his role in the HBO original series Six Feet Under, the young performer is in the midst of a budding film career. This month alone boasts two movies that feature him in a leading role Harsh Times, where he stars opposite Christian Bale and Eva Longoria, and Bobby, where he stars opposite a slew of Hollywood A-listers too numerous to mention.

But the Rodriguez-starrer that genre fans are perhaps most anxiously awaiting is the Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino collaboration Grindhouse, hitting theaters in April 2007.

"It's an homage to the 1970s exploitation films that were really popular back then, and also an homage to the double feature," explains Rodriguez. "It was big where I'm from in Chicago. You would go to the movies, you would pay one fee and you would see two films. And that's what this is going to be when you go see this film, Robert Rodriguez is going to direct one and Quentin Tarantino is going to direct the other. And I star in Robert's. In all of Robert's films in the past, he always has a quintessential action hero and that's who I play in the film."

For those who've only just emerged from that rock they've been living under, the two films that comprise Grindhouse are Rodriguez' Planet Terror, a shoot 'em up zombie flick, and Death Proof, more of a traditional slasher film. So it's safe to assume that lots of blood and lots of action are par for the course.

"It's a horror film, so you're going to get a little bit of gore in it. But it's gore with taste, if you can even associate both words," notes Rodriguez of his installment, Planet Terror. "It's gore with class. It's Robert Rodriguez; this guy puts out the good stuff. So you know anything he has his hand in is going to be good. And also Quentin anything he has his hand in is going to have that certain level of quality to it."

Known more for his dramatic turns, Rodriguez found the intense action required of him for the project challenging, but manageable.

"It was hard, but thank God I have a dance background and I've always tried to stay in shape," says Rodriguez. "Thank God for that because if I didn't, it was the most physically demanding film I've ever done in my life. And we were working nights for four months, which would mean I would go to work at 7 p.m. and get out at 7 a.m., which is just hard. But nevertheless, [it was] a great, great experience."

With two "segments" (as Planet Terror and Death Proof are referred to) comprising one film, not to mention the numerous fake movie trailers interspersed in-between, it's a wonder what the final running time for Grindhouse will clock in at.

"I'm not sure," comments Rodriguez. "It started off as like, 'Oh, we're going to shorten this up.' But, come on. You have Quentin and Robert. Those guys are not going to make small movies. At this point, I don't even know how long the movies are going to be."