PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing? What should I add/drop?

Bill!
11-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Keep in mind I'm on a very limited budget for comic and only buy trades, usually get them as gifts actually. But is there anything fundamental I should be reading that I may be missing?

Here's what I get:
Ex Machina
Y the Last Man
Invincible
Girls
Fables
Powers
Astonishing X-Men

Recently dropped:
Ultimate Spiderman
Walking Dead (maybe)
Daredevil (maybe)

FredC
11-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Nextwave.
Runaways.
The Goon.

Bill!
11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Nextwave.
Runaways.
The Goon.

I actually had Goon and Runaways but just didn't have the interest to follow them.

NickT
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
IMO, try Midnighter.

Also, Leading Man from Oni. Three issues through though, so might be best to wait for the trade.

ds9
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Keep in mind I'm on a very limited budget for comic and only buy trades, usually get them as gifts actually. But is there anything fundamental I should be reading that I may be missing?

Here's what I get:
Ex Machina
Y the Last Man
Invincible
Girls
Fables
Powers
Astonishing X-Men

Recently dropped:
Ultimate Spiderman
Walking Dead (maybe)
Daredevil (maybe)You like Y more than the Walking Dead?

Ray G.
11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
USM dropped? :shock:

Add Green Lantern.

Ryan F
11-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Captain America and Runaways are both great. Whedon is taking over Runaways soon.

JABSEN
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Cap and keep Daredevil. How are you enjoying Girls? I personally can't stand it but seem to be in the minority.(Loved Ultra)

ERNIE_E
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
100 Bullets
Shaolin Cowboy
Wasteland
Midnighter
Deathblow
100 Bullets
Desolation Jones
Exterminators
DMZ
Captain America
Pride of Baghdad
Local

Doug
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Fell (only $1.99 per issue, and all done in ones)
Casanova (again only $1.99 per issue, done in ones, but with a larger arc behind it)

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Add Conan. I wait impatiently for the next trade.

xyzzy
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
This is always kind of weird because, how the hell am I supposed to know which books you're enjoying.

With that said, I have a very similar list to yours, and I just dropped Girls. I just wasn't really enjoing reading it any more. I'm also seriously considering going to trades on Powers.

The only thing you might consider adding is BKV's Dr. Strange mini, which had a great #1. I'm waiting for the TPB, myself.

ds9
11-07-2006, 10:55 AM
USM dropped? :shock:

Add Green Lantern.What Green Latern is a good book but always late.:cry:

Ray G.
11-07-2006, 11:07 AM
What Green Latern is a good book but always late.:cry:

When it comes out, it might be DC's best book hands down.

Shane W
11-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Dude, if you like history, there's no reason that you shouldn't pick up Rex Mundi.

Humphrey_Lee
11-07-2006, 11:18 AM
100 Bullets
Shaolin Cowboy
Wasteland
Midnighter
Deathblow
100 Bullets
Desolation Jones
Exterminators
DMZ
Captain America
Pride of Baghdad
Local

I like this man's style.

Though I thought Deathblow started off crappy.

The Human Target
11-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Okay, don't listen to most of these people.

From your keep list, I buy everything but Astonishing.

I recently dropped Daredevil. I've never gotten into USM (though I have tried), and I'm still liking Walking Dead even if its never my favorite book of the month.

Things I enjoy that you might...

100 Bullets
Desolation Jones
Fell

IMAGE just put out a really good three issue mini called UMBRA that just ended. I hope a trade comes out.

Blane
11-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Desolation Jones for sure.

Humphrey_Lee
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Okay, don't listen to most of these people.

But you still listen to me, right snookums? ;)

The Human Target
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
But you still listen to me, right snookums? ;)

I only pretend to so I can get some lovin.

Icaruss
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
The Boys
The Ultimates
Atonishing X-Men
Get Ultimate Spidey, and Daredevil again, for God's sake.

The Human Target
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
For older stuff of course, you have the TRIUMVIRATE.

Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Planetary

I'd also recommend picking up a Hellblazer trade and seeing how it suits you.

ds9
11-08-2006, 03:46 AM
The Boys
The Ultimates
Atonishing X-Men
Get Ultimate Spidey, and Daredevil again, for God's sake.Get Daredevil

Masculine Todd
11-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Why has nobody suggested Criminal?! It's only two issues in, so you can catch up quickly. Brubaker writes one of the best crime-caper stories in any medium in a very long time. Tons of twists, turns, and an inside look at the mechanics of pulling off a heist. Amazing noir art by Sean Philips makes this a must read.

Also, Fear Agent out of Image is old-school, balls out sci-fi action spiced with writer Rick Remender's crazy humor. The lead character is the coolest comic protagonist since John Constantine.

Detective Comics is DC's best ongoing currently. Done-in-one stories by Batman: The Animated Series guru Paul Dini and art by the vastly underappreciate Don Kramer present the most true-to-character version of Batman currently. Clever, noirish tales that emphasize Batman as a detective.

ClintP
11-08-2006, 05:24 AM
Why has nobody suggested Criminal?! It's only two issues in, so you can catch up quickly. Brubaker writes one of the best crime-caper stories in any medium in a very long time. Tons of twists, turns, and an inside look at the mechanics of pulling off a heist. Amazing noir art by Sean Philips makes this a must read.

It is shaping up to be a great read. #2 was really good. Also, there are no ads until after the story is complete, but even those are for other small time comics. Can't go wrong with it.

Masculine Todd
11-08-2006, 05:27 AM
It is shaping up to be a great read. #2 was really good. Also, there are no ads until after the story is complete, but even those are for other small time comics. Can't go wrong with it.

He speaks the truth, this one. ;-)

Sam Little
11-08-2006, 05:28 AM
Things that have been suggested that you buy that I wholeheartedly agree with in descending order of greatness:

CRIMINAL
CAPTAIN AMERICA
DESOLATION JONES

Dennis K
11-08-2006, 05:33 AM

Here's what I get:
Ex Machina
Y the Last Man
Invincible
Girls
Fables
Powers
Astonishing X-Men

Recently dropped:
Ultimate Spiderman
Walking Dead (maybe)
Daredevil (maybe)

Drop:
Everything

Add:
Captain America
Daredevil
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange

Sam Little
11-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Drop:
Everything

Add:
Captain America
Daredevil
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange

Wow. Do you really not enjoy any of the titles he mentioned? Not Fables? Not Powers? Not Y? Not Ex-Mach? Not even Astonishing?

Yet the books you suggest that he add are quite good as well.
Most curious.:mistrust:

paul brian deberry
11-08-2006, 07:10 AM

Here's what I get:
Ex Machina
Y the Last Man
Invincible
Girls
Fables
Powers
Astonishing X-Men

Recently dropped:
Ultimate Spiderman
Walking Dead (maybe)
Daredevil (maybe)

Pick Up Cross Bronx, Desolation Jones, Incredible Hulk (Although I would grab the Planet Hulk Trade first.), AND X-Factor.

Drop: Girls, Walking Dead and EX-Machina

Keep: Daredevil

A.Huerta
11-08-2006, 07:20 AM
You'll dig Annihilation and its just a mini.