PDA

View Full Version : Why does IGN say that Iceman is an Omega Level Mutant?

LilPoe
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I can't find the exact link, but a little while ago, IGN did a list of Omega Level mutants. I think there were five or six, including Phoenix, the GLA(X)'s Mr. Immortal, Kid Omega, and... Iceman?! WTF? What makes Iceman so powerful? Can ice slides lead to the destruction of the universe? Someone please help me out.

joeAR
10-28-2006, 08:53 AM
If he concentrates hard enough he could, essentially, turn the whole country into one big block of ice. Granted it might kill him but what ya going to do.

batmanbooyah
10-28-2006, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=LilPoeCan ice slides lead to the destruction of the universe? [/QUOTE]

yes.

Buk Was Right
10-28-2006, 08:55 AM
plus ultimate iceman wears that kick-ass do-rag... that's pretty omega!

and i think it's funny that omega red isn't an omega level mutant... not that he should be or anything... but it's right there in his name...

batmanbooyah
10-28-2006, 08:58 AM
i just want to know why a green lantern is a mutant in the marvel universe!

joeAR
10-28-2006, 08:58 AM
plus ultimate iceman wears that kick-ass do-rag... that's pretty omega!

and i think it's funny that omega red isn't an omega level mutant... not that he should be or anything... but it's right there in his name...

I like Omega Red but I can't recall why he's named Omega Red.

NickT
10-28-2006, 08:59 AM
IIRC Iceman is hugely powerful, he just can't/doesn't use his powers.

Buk Was Right
10-28-2006, 09:01 AM
I like Omega Red but I can't recall why he's named Omega Red.

i think he was like the last one of a series or something... because at some point i remember there being an epsilon red.

xyzzy
10-28-2006, 09:21 AM
i just want to know why a green lantern is a mutant in the marvel universe!

?

Foolish Mortal
10-28-2006, 09:38 AM
If Iceman's powers were fully realized, he could achieve 'Absolute Zero' temperature. Meaning he could literally stop all kinetic motion. Even stop the kinetic motion in atoms. He could freeze and stop the flow of all energy, anywhere.

Like for example, if someone detonated a hydrogen bomb near him, Bobby could neutralize all the explosive energy of the bomb. Or if Bobby got to the bomb before it detonated, he could use his power to simply make the bomb inert by stopping the fusion reaction.

PhoenixFactor
10-28-2006, 09:44 AM
He has been identified as an Omega level in 616.

artimoff
10-28-2006, 09:51 AM
He can turn his flesh to ice, melt & reform his body from Angel's pee.

Hate_Prime
10-28-2006, 09:52 AM
If Iceman wasn't such a dope, he'd be an unkillable energy siphoning uber being by now.

As I understand it, he is lacking the drive or knowhow to unlock his potential.

joeAR
10-28-2006, 09:54 AM
If Iceman wasn't such a dope, he'd be an unkillable energy siphoning uber being by now.

As I understand it, he is lacking the drive or knowhow to unlock his potential.

Lobdell did a storyline about this involving Emma in 95/96 that didn't seem to pan out anywhere. He started using his powers in new ways but then bam, the storyline just seemed to stop.

Len Ford
10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Lobdell did a storyline about this involving Emma in 95/96 that didn't seem to pan out anywhere. He started using his powers in new ways but then bam, the storyline just seemed to stop.

Minor Marvel Ultimate Alliance Spoilers:
If you talk to Iceman in the Dr. Strange's house in Marvel Ultimate Alliance he actually talks about this storyline, his powers, and Emma Frost. It was pretty cool.

Buk Was Right
10-28-2006, 10:16 AM
If Iceman's powers were fully realized, he could achieve 'Absolute Zero' temperature. Meaning he could literally stop all kinetic motion. Even stop the kinetic motion in atoms. He could freeze and stop the flow of all energy, anywhere.

Like for example, if someone detonated a hydrogen bomb near him, Bobby could neutralize all the explosive energy of the bomb. Or if Bobby got to the bomb before it detonated, he could use his power to simply make the bomb inert by stopping the fusion reaction.

pssshhht.... science shmience!

emeraldsundae
10-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Iceman's a tool.

Just thought I'd put that out there. At least he was in Marvel Legends. My friends and I got addicted to that game.

YouStayClassy
10-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I liked when Loki amped his powers to god-like levels, and Bobby had to wear that kick ass belt to control them.

Icaruss
10-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Its not just IGN. This was mentioned by Professor X in... X-Men: Forever, was it? I dunno. But this has been known for quite some time.

sto110
10-28-2006, 11:04 AM
wish iceman would get to the point he was in Age of Apocalypse.

he used his powers pretty well there

The Roman Candle
10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Because he is. It's been mentioned several times that he has insane amounts of untapped potential. In one of the very early x-men comics (like first five issues early) Professor X thinks to himself that Iceman could be the most powerful member of the team, if he wasn't such an assclown (he thinks this even with Marvel Girl on the team).

Matthew Brown
10-28-2006, 11:18 AM
wish iceman would get to the point he was in Age of Apocalypse.

he used his powers pretty well there

Yeah, like when they didn't have a teleporter, he freezed everyone, broke them down to atoms or whatever, and reformed them where they needed to be. I think.

Albert
10-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Why aren't Magneto and Professor X omega level? I mean, we've always heard about how powerful they are, now we're supposed to accept that Mr. Immortal is more powerful?

changingshades
10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I can't find the exact link, but a little while ago, IGN did a list of Omega Level mutants. I think there were five or six, including Phoenix, the GLA(X)'s Mr. Immortal, Kid Omega, and... Iceman?! WTF? What makes Iceman so powerful? Can ice slides lead to the destruction of the universe? Someone please help me out.
all he needs to do to kill you is freeze all the water in your body.

All he needs to do to have a weapon is freeze water in that shape.

I always wanted Bobby to be a type of Green Lantern hero for Marvel and they always drop the ball on it

Howlett
10-28-2006, 12:19 PM
As has been stated, Iceman has been Omega level for about 12 or so years now. So has Jubilee actually, if I remember correctly (until she got depowered). Both characters just didn't have the self confidence (and in Jube's case she was just too scared) to go much further than they did.

Foolish Mortal
10-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Why aren't Magneto and Professor X omega level? I mean, we've always heard about how powerful they are, now we're supposed to accept that Mr. Immortal is more powerful?
I believe Magneto is right on the cusp of being an omega class mutant. Mainly because he has shown he can actually manipulate any energy within the electromagnetic spectrum, not just magnetism.

However he's still "mortal" to some degree. A true omega is practically immortal, and more akin to a cosmic being.

Mr. E!
10-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I believe Magneto is right on the cusp of being an omega class mutant. Mainly because he has shown he can actually manipulate any energy within the electromagnetic spectrum, not just magnetism.

However he's still "mortal" to some degree. A true omega is practically immortal, and more akin to a cosmic being.

Well, a few months ago, Iceman reconstitued himself from steam into human form. He's hugely powerful, and pretty much immortal if he's in ice form.

Anna
10-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Is Franklin Richards immortal? I know he can manipulate reality, create pocket universes and whathaveyous, but is he immortal a la Phoenix?

Vonn Hennigar
10-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I believe Franklin's been de-powered, but at his height he was certainly an Omega Class mutant.

Foolish Mortal
10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Is Franklin Richards immortal? I know he can manipulate reality, create pocket universes and whathaveyous, but is he immortal a la Phoenix?
I think it's still possible for Franklin to be killed.

But note that being classified as an omega doesn't automatically mean you can use your powers at their full potential. If Franklin's powers return, and if he learns to actually use them, then he could reach full omega potential and be immortal.

The Human Target
10-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I enjoy this thread.

ALl the points I was going to make have alkready been made.

The man is basically the GOD of temperature.

He's just too emotionally stunted (due to his father's hatred/disgust at him being a mutant, which in turn made Bobby self loathing) as well as his own fear of being that powerful, and that inhuman.

UltimateFactor
10-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Even if it's out of continuity, I believe that X-Men: The End Volume Three pretty much proved that Magneto is well within Omega level. His body was killed, but he was so powerful that he lived on in the form of energy, still able to use his powers and survive. It took a Pheonix powered Cassandra Nova to kill him by absorbing him.

As far as Iceman goes, well just watch "The Day After Tommorow".

Damian696
10-28-2006, 04:23 PM

IIRC Emma took over Bobby's body in that story, and it was her that used his powers in new and different ways (and so showing Bobby how little of his potential he was using).

And I think the Professor's real mission may be to keep powerful and dangerous mutants from using their powers to the max (like Jean and Bobby).