PDA

View Full Version : NBC is fucked

Steve Q
10-19-2006, 06:44 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/cp_X101902AU.xml.html

I guess we have more reality and game shows coming our way

Happy Time Harry
10-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Doesn't look good for shows like Scrubs or Studio 60 either.

Joe Doesn't Care
10-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Studio 60 is done, Scrubs is already contracted for this season and for some reason if they don't get on the air on NBC, ABC will probably air it since they actually own the show. Outside chance Heros could be out too. Also this explains why shows like Stargate SG-1 is getting the boot too.

Gregory
10-19-2006, 06:48 AM
You know what they need? Seek and Destroy, a reality show where top-notch PIs reveal secrets to couples about to get married. The couple that stays together gets a swank wedding, $1 million, and the house where the show takes place.

Patton
10-19-2006, 06:49 AM
You know what they need? Seek and Destroy, a reality show where top-notch PIs reveal secrets to couples about to get married. The couple that stays together gets a swank wedding, $1 million, and the house where the show takes place.
Dude...

That airs every Friday.

:roll:

Dr. Blasphemy
10-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Sorry Rupert Murdock got that show because NBS wouldnt bid on it...

I love Studio 60- I hope they give it a chance.

Jef UK
10-19-2006, 06:59 AM

:D

Dennis K
10-19-2006, 07:03 AM
The real reasons NBC may well and truly be fucked:

Scrubs was fucked the moment Braff said he was done with it after this year.

Studio 60 just proves that, rightly or wrongly, nobody really gives a shit about a "talky" show that's about another show.

My Name Is Earl just doesn't seem to have that magic "it" that it had last year, hopefully they'll regain it.

Heros may be a one season wonder, I doubt that its got any kind of staying power over the long haul.

Law & Order all the franchises seem to be ready for a toe-tag. The original finally looks tired, SVU is too focused on Meloni and Hargitay, and the revolving cast on CI doesn't lend itself to any kind of continuity.

Bright Spots:

The Office is finally getting the recognition it deserves, and IMO, is far better than the original version. Of course, they've got to be worrying about how much longer Steve Carell is going to stay interested in doing television.

30 Rock finally started living up to the hype with the most recent episode, it's just too bad they follow it up with the God-awful 20 Good Years.

Kirblar
10-19-2006, 07:10 AM
On paper, 20 good years SHOULD be good. The writing's absolutely abysmal though, wrecking it.

Dennis K
10-19-2006, 07:13 AM
On paper, 20 good years SHOULD be good. The writing's absolutely abysmal though, wrecking it.

When you have a show in 2006 that uses a laughtrack, you know that show is shit.

Patton
10-19-2006, 07:17 AM
When you have a show in 2006 that uses a laughtrack, you know that show is shit.
I like How I Met Your Mother.

Dennis K
10-19-2006, 07:18 AM
I like How I Met Your Mother.

Leave my mother out of this!

Dr. Blasphemy
10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
I ATTEMPTED watching that show last night-
OH MY GOD WAS IT TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRIBLE!

Wasnt John Lithgow an actor at one time? :)

Jerome Gibbons
10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
The New Adventures of Old Christine is apparently doing pretty good.

Patton
10-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Oh yeah. And that one.

I guess CBS didn't get them memo.

Gregory
10-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Why select when you can settle?

Dr. Blasphemy
10-19-2006, 07:22 AM
I never thought 3rd Rock from the Sun would look like a "GOOD" show....

Foolish Mortal
10-19-2006, 07:23 AM
OH MY GOD WAS IT TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRIBLE!

I know, it's embarrassingly bad.

Lithgow and Tambor are too good for that shit. They need to fire all the hack writers, then reassemble all the writers for 'Frasier', and start over again.

Dennis K
10-19-2006, 07:25 AM

Lots of shit does "pretty good", you'll have to do better than that to try an convince me that I'm wrong. I still say if a show employs a laugh track, the show is not only shit, but the audience watching it is fucking stupid because they're being told what the funny parts are, or are supposed to be.

Jerome Gibbons
10-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Oh yeah. And that one.

I guess CBS didn't get them memo.
Beats me why, though. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it seemed pretty average.

adamgreenberger
10-19-2006, 07:27 AM
i think they are talking about future projects...not stuff currently on air

Foolish Mortal
10-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Lots of shit does "pretty good", you'll have to do better than that to try an convince me that I'm wrong. I still say if a show employs a laugh track, the show is not only shit, but the audience watching it is fucking stupid because they're being told what the funny parts are, or are supposed to be.
I disagree. 'Cheers', 'Frasier', 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Seinfeld' were funny, but used laugh tracks.

But I do agree that laugh tracks on sitcoms should be dispensed with all together.

Jerome Gibbons
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Take a look at some of the shows mentioned by FM.

That being said, a lot (to not say most) of shows with laugh tracks seem to go the way of the doodoo these days. I guess people have simply grown tired of the device or something. If a show with a laugh track gets a full second season these days, I'm guessing it must be doing something right. Like I said above, I don't know what it is that TNAOC is doing, but people seem to be enjoying it. So more power to them.

Bill?
10-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Alls I know is it sounds like the perfect time for me to pitch my new gameshow- "Man Vs. Rabid Lion: Wife Swap Edition".

JoeE
10-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I have to admit I'm a bit scared. The Office is of course still funny as hell but I know it doesn't get the ratings NBC would like to see. It would really suck to lose that show at this point.

Jerome Gibbons
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Alls I know is it sounds like the perfect time for me to pitch my new gameshow- "Man Vs. Rabid Lion: Wife Swap Edition".
I'm not too sure on the idea, but I like the concept of pitting something against lions. Crocodile vs Lion, PTA vs Lion, something with lions...

SCOURGE
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM

He has spent the last several years writing children's books, IIRC...

Kody
10-19-2006, 08:01 AM
I do find it a little upsetting that networks don't give these shows time to develop. If they don't perform right out the gate they're done. I don't think it's as easy as that. Give it a while, make some tweaks and improvements along the way, and you might end up with a quality show rather than just giving us another CSI or Law and Order spin off.

glk
10-19-2006, 08:05 AM

Uh, wow. I watch The New Adventures of Old Christine and it's a damn funny show.

SteveFlack
10-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I do find it a little upsetting that networks don't give these shows time to develop. If they don't perform right out the gate they're done. I don't think it's as easy as that. Give it a while, make some tweaks and improvements along the way, and you might end up with a quality show rather than just giving us another CSI or Law and Order spin off.

The problem with that is the massive competition between the networks and cable. With so many options, you really might only have one shot to hook the viewers. After that, it's done, they've moved on to one of the other thousand shows that occupy that timeslot. And when networks only air that show once a week, with no reruns in sight, that show becomes pretty fucked.

Networks just need to face that appointment TV is dead, and need to embrace rerunning their shows multiple times a week on related cable stations.

-Steve!

SteveFlack
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I hate the hatred of the laugh track. Sure, it's a tool that's been overused by the networks, but honestly, it's the closest thing we have to modern theater. I think any classic, multi camera, 3 walled sitcom needs a laugh track. Otherwise it's just awkward. On the other hand, a one-camera sitcom should never have a laugh track, since where is this laughing audience anyway.

I miss the days of hear one of the cast members saying "______ was filmed before a live studio audience." before the start of a show.

-Steve!

Patton
10-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Beats me why, though. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it seemed pretty average.
it's her. The writing is okay. But she's fantastic. I didn't think so at the time, but she deserved the hell out of that Emmy.

Patton
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM

Wow. Did you just call people stupid for liking a TV show?

A.Huerta
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I disagree. 'Cheers', 'Frasier', 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and 'Seinfeld' were funny, but used laugh tracks.

But I do agree that laugh tracks on sitcoms should be dispensed with all together.

U mean the live audience? Yeah, it sounds stupid.

Ray G.
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
So Friday Night Lights is probably done.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:11 AM
It's funny to see how everyone says every show is done now. Listen, let's slow it down, and see what actually happens. They can't go actually cutting shows left and right because NBC already doesn't have any shows that makes money save two or three. So, that will weigh in big. Plus, they can't start cutting scripted shows in the effort that they get shows with smaller production costs. First off, shows aren't cheap in the first place, so they're not going to save a ton of money there. Second off, they start cutting scripted shows, and they're not going to have anyone watching their network. So, the new shows won't have any viewers because they don't have any shows that bring in viewers. Third, you start cutting shows, and you start alienating people.

The way I see it, instead of cutting current shows, they're going to start adding less shows each season and do their scheduling different. I imagine more re-runs of shows. You may see FNL at 8PM on Tuesday's and 9PM on Friday's to get the maximum number of viewers. Expect a few more reality shows, but if they cut Studio 60, FNL, Scrubs, etc. they don't have the shows to replace it.

Craig

SteveFlack
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
It's funny to see how everyone says every show is done now. Listen, let's slow it down, and see what actually happens. They can't go actually cutting shows left and right because NBC already doesn't have any shows that makes money save two or three. So, that will weigh in big. Plus, they can't start cutting scripted shows in the effort that they get shows with smaller production costs. First off, shows aren't cheap in the first place, so they're not going to save a ton of money there. Second off, they start cutting scripted shows, and they're not going to have anyone watching their network. So, the new shows won't have any viewers because they don't have any shows that bring in viewers. Third, you start cutting shows, and you start alienating people.

The way I see it, instead of cutting current shows, they're going to start adding less shows each season and do their scheduling different. I imagine more re-runs of shows. You may see FNL at 8PM on Tuesday's and 9PM on Friday's to get the maximum number of viewers. Expect a few more reality shows, but if they cut Studio 60, FNL, Scrubs, etc. they don't have the shows to replace it.

Craig

I dunno, they could just triple the production numbers on "Deal or No Deal".

-Steve!

Patton
10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Why do you say that? They gained in ratings for Tuesday's show.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
I dunno, they could just triple the production numbers on "Deal or No Deal".

-Steve!
And when that burns out in 3 months just like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire did, they'll be dead in the water like ABC was until Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy came around.

Craig

Patton
10-19-2006, 09:40 AM
And when that burns out in 3 months just like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire did, they'll be dead in the water like ABC was until Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy came around.

Craig
help my memory...did those all premiere in the same year?

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
help my memory...did those all premiere in the same year?
They did.

Craig

Patton
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
They did.

Craig

what a weird thing. whomever was in charge of greenlighting those gets free blowjobs at his desk daily.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
what a weird thing. whomever was in charge of greenlighting those gets free blowjobs at his desk daily.
No, he was fired I believe.

Craig

Patton
10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
No, he was fired I believe.

Craig
wha?

SteveFlack
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Craig

So, to save the network, first, they must destroy it.

-Steve!

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
wha?
He was fired for greenlighting Lost before it aired. He had also greenlit Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy by this point. But, he was fired because he greenlit Lost because of the fact it had a 12-14 million dollar pilot, the most expensive ever.

Craig

CraigM
10-19-2006, 09:58 AM
So, to save the network, first, they must destroy it.

-Steve!
I'm sure this was ABC's business plan all along.

Craig

Patton
10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
He was fired for greenlighting Lost before it aired. He had also greenlit Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy by this point. But, he was fired because he greenlit Lost because of the fact it had a 12-14 million dollar pilot, the most expensive ever.

Craig
why can't NBC get him.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 10:00 AM
why can't NBC get him.
Last I heard, he was working for Yahoo, though I'm not sure if he's still there. He's only 40 years old too I believe.

Craig

Albert
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I think "30 Rock" might play a little better with a laugh track. Part of the "SNL" fun is the audience, and in a show with so many vets and a take on that atmosphere, it feels kind of cold, I guess, without it. It's fine as it is, though.

Marcdachamp
10-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I think My name is Earl's been pretty good this season.

Patton
10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I think My name is Earl's been pretty good this season.
I do too. I just found out last night that a lot of people aren't digging it.

Well... a few.

SteveFlack
10-19-2006, 10:52 AM
I do too. I just found out last night that a lot of people aren't digging it.

Well... a few.

I'm still enjoying it, I'm just not enamored of it's running storyline this season. "Earl" was something modern TV is lacking, a 'done in one' show, without running subplots, just a general idea, and wacky adventures every week. Sure, they'd introduce new characters who'd recur, and their would be running jokes, but not a storyline that would advance on a week to week basis. Just wacky adventures. And the Joy story this year isn't exactly thrilling me.

Plus occupying Joy and Darnell's time with this subplot means they are interacting with Earl less and less, and I don't like that. Add in the fact that I think Carolina's only been in 1 or 2 episodes, and it just doesn't have the same ensamble feel as last year.

Also, I'm hearing way too much strain in Jason Lee's voice this season. Sounds like he just finished screaming something before he starts his lines.

-Steve!

Binx
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Ratings were actually up this week, and it looks like NBC is trying to keep it going:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-fridaynightlightsonmonday,0,4469638.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

NBC will try to give its struggling drama "Friday Night Lights" an extra boost later this month by airing after the network's most successful new show. On Monday, Oct. 30, NBC will air an original "Lights" episode at 10 p.m. ET, following "Heroes"; the episode will then repeat in the show's normal 8 p.m. Tuesday spot on Oct. 31. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which usually airs at 10 p.m. Mondays, will get a week off.

he network has also ordered several more scripts for "Friday Night Lights," which doesn't necessarily mean a life for the show beyond its original 13-episode order but certainly isn't a bad thing. A Monday airing could presumably benefit some from promotion on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" broadcast the previous night.

Great news for FNL. I have a hard time watching it at 8pm. Very bad news for Studio 60 though.

Skatonic10
10-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't be too quick to determine the fates of NBC shows just yet. I doubt their current schedule will change much, simply because of this decion. If the shows continue to drop in the ratings, then yes, they might go. The changes will probably come in the back half of this season and the show choices for next season.

Masculine Todd
10-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Gosh, I feel so out of the loop. I hardly ever watch television. I do, however, follow series I like on DVD or buy the episodes off iTunes. Maybe its my generation, but I never really became an "engagement viewer". I don't like having to be here on this night at this time. It is much too demanding of modern society and its current, unresting pace, especially the ever-coveted college demographic.

Seriously, I would have figured that, given more of us Jinxworld boarders are relatively savvy pop-culturists and DVD affishionatos, the majority of you would have no care of this.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Ratings were actually up this week, and it looks like NBC is trying to keep it going:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-fridaynightlightsonmonday,0,4469638.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Great news for FNL. I have a hard time watching it at 8pm. Very bad news for Studio 60 though.
Not bad news for Studio 60. That week was meant to be a replay anyways, so it would've been a wash anyways.

Craig

Binx
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Not bad news for Studio 60. That week was meant to be a replay anyways, so it would've been a wash anyways.

Craig

OK, I thought they were delaying a new episode, which often seems to be the first step toward the dreaded "hiatus."

But I still think the show is in big trouble, simply b/c of low ratings.

CraigM
10-19-2006, 12:09 PM
OK, I thought they were delaying a new episode, which often seems to be the first step toward the dreaded "hiatus."

But I still think the show is in big trouble, simply b/c of low ratings.
Well, to put it in perspective, Studio 60 is the second highest rated new scripted show on NBC with new shows like 30 Rock, 20 Years, and Friday Night Lights as well as it's better rated then their entire Wednesday night schedule. While the ratings could be better, if the show stays in this 5.0 rating area, then I think it's sticking around.

Craig

Binx
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, to put it in perspective, Studio 60 is the second highest rated new scripted show on NBC with new shows like 30 Rock, 20 Years, and Friday Night Lights as well as it's better rated then their entire Wednesday night schedule. While the ratings could be better, if the show stays in this 5.0 rating area, then I think it's sticking around.

Craig

Unfortunately, it seems to be bleeding more audience every week, (I think they lost 1 million this past Monday from the previous Mon.) but I really like the show, so I hope you are right.

Patton
10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Jeff Zucker said that it isn't going anywhere just yet. He said he's not even close to giving up on it. He wants it to level off, of course but he said that it's doing well with the upper classers which (similar to in the show) means something to sponsors.