PDA

View Full Version : There's programs for writing scripts, what about novels?

Nonnie
10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
So yeah, screenwriters have Final Draft but what about novelists? Is there any kind of program to help formatting novels and novellas?

JamesV
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
I know of New Novelist and WriteIt Now!. I know nothing of their quality or any other information.

RickLM
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
They advertise software for this in Writers Digest magazine.

Nonnie
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
They advertise software for this in Writers Digest magazine.

Can you save me a buck or four and tell me a few?

MrClown
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Uh, every novelist I know uses a good old-fashioned word processor like Word. If you use anything else, you're getting fleeced.

Icaruss
10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Microsoft Word? Duh.

RickLM
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Can you save me a buck or four and tell me a few?

Maybe go to their website. I quit reading WD about 5 years ago.

LordKinbote
10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
So yeah, screenwriters have Final Draft but what about novelists? Is there any kind of program to help formatting novels and novellas?

You worry about writing the novel. Your publisher is just going to change the format anyway.

Nonnie
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
You worry about writing the novel. Your publisher is just going to change the format anyway.

I'm one of those types of people who has to have things just so before they can go on.

There is a "manuscript format" that agents and publishers are fond of and it's sort of a pain in the ass to set up on Word. Having a program like Final Draft would save me some time and frustration, is all.

LordKinbote
10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm one of those types of people who has to have things just so before they can go on.

You mean you're one of those people who uses the preparation of the format of their novel as procrastination preventing them from actually writing their novel?

Gotcha.

Nonnie
10-18-2006, 07:01 PM
You mean you're one of those people who uses the preparation of the format of their novel as procrastination preventing them from actually writing their novel?

Gotcha.

Yes.............

It's worked for a ton of essays, articles, a play and a couple of short comics so why not keep the streak alive.

Brian Reed
10-18-2006, 07:28 PM

There is a "manuscript format" that agents and publishers are fond of and it's sort of a pain in the ass to set up on Word. Having a program like Final Draft would save me some time and frustration, is all.

Open Word, set the page to double space. Boom. You're done.

If you want to get fancy and or schmancy, set up a header with "author / NAME OF BOOK IN ALL CAPS / page#" in the upper right hand corner.

All of this terrible, grueling work takes about as long as you spent asking the original question in the first place.

MrClown
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Here is a primer: "manuscript format" means double spacing, a serifed font like courier or TNR, one-inch margins, numbered pages, your name and the title in the header. For italics, underline. For bold, a wavy underline.

Jef UK
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Open Word, set the page to double space. Boom. You're done.

If you want to get fancy and or schmancy, set up a header with "author / NAME OF BOOK IN ALL CAPS / page#" in the upper right hand corner.

All of this terrible, grueling work takes about as long as you spent asking the original question in the first place.

What Brian said. This is a silly request.

Brendan
10-19-2006, 07:39 AM

There are, but don't waste your money on them.

Any reputable publisher is going to erase all your formatting in Typesetting anyway. Spend your time and effort writing great stories. Leave the formatting to the Typesetters.

glk
10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
All the formatting you need is Word, 12 point Courier font, double-space lines. That's it. I read manuscripts all the time and that's the format. Most clock in around 300 pages.