PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to lay down some major cash on trades. Recommend!

Afny
10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
So far, I know I'm buying

Flight Volume 2
Flight Volume 3
Runaways Volume 1 HC

Thats a good chunk of cash right there, but okay. First off, I want some light superhero stuff. Maybe from DC? I don't have alot of DC. Maybe some Booster Gold or Blue Beetle stories. Second, I want some good Daredevil stuff. Do I have to read Bendis's stuff to get Brubakers, and how much of Brubakers is in trade?
Also, feel free to recommend anything else.

jason hissong
10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I would definately recommend all six daredevil hardcovers

mother, come home- emotionally devestating but worth it
preacher, if you don't have any preacher

will eisner's a contract with god trilogy
berlin, vol. 1
jar of fools
age of bronze

all great stuff

Afny
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh, I forgot I was going to buy Preacher...that seems to be the case every time I want to buy it.

Gavin
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
All Bendis Daredevil trades. Daredevil: Born Again. You don't have to read Bendis' to get Brubaker's, but since all of his stuff is good you should read it anyway.

We3
Kraven's Last Hunt
Batman: Year One
Batman: Death and the Maidens

xyzzy
10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
If you like anthologies, check out Project Superior and Project Telstar. Totally worth it if you can find them.

Sy-Klone
10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I've been reading Starman by Robinson and Harris recently, and find it outstanding. I'm 20 issues in and loving it more with each passing issue. I'd highly recommend the first trade, called Sins of the Father, if not more.

If you like Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, check out the Justice League of America trade by Giffen/Dematteis/Maguire. It's played very over-the-top, very funny, but it's great.

Afny
10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
If you like Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, check out the Justice League of America trade by Giffen/Dematteis/Maguire. It's played very over-the-top, very funny, but it's great.

Funny is what I'm looking for there, so yeah. If I started reading Starman, I'd have to track down that Hellboy/Batman crossover. Is that even the same Starman?

Fake Pat
10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
All Bendis Daredevil trades. Daredevil: Born Again. You don't have to read Bendis' to get Brubaker's, but since all of his stuff is good you should read it anyway.

We3
Kraven's Last Hunt
Batman: Year One
Batman: Death and the Maidens

yes, yes, yes.

we3 is a must-own.

Sy-Klone
10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Funny is what I'm looking for there, so yeah. If I started reading Starman, I'd have to track down that Hellboy/Batman crossover. Is that even the same Starman?

To be honest, I'm not sure if its the same Starman, as I just started myself.

I'd just start with the first trade. Don't worry about tracking anything down, or at least, I didn't. I just jumped right in, and I'm enjoying it tons.

EDIT: Just checked, and yes, it's the same Starman. It's a Batman/Hellboy/Starman crossover. Here's a list of Robinson-related Starman stuff, compiled by My Pal, Jim:

- Golden Age 1 4
- Starman 0, 1 80, 1,000,000
- Starman: Secret Files 1
- Starman: 80-Page Giant 1
- Starman Annual 1, 2
- Girlfrenzy: Mist 1
- Batman/Hellboy/Starman 1, 2
- All-Star Comics 80-Page Giant 1
- Stars And S.T.R.I.P.E. 0
- JSA All-Stars 4 (Starman back up)
- Shade 1 4
- Showcase 95 12 (Shade short story)
- Showcase 96 4, 5 (Dr. Fate/Shade short story)
- (Power Of Shazam 35, 36 - not written by Robinson, but it's a direct crossover with Starman)

Icaruss
10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
You should get the following.

Jinx.
Transmetropolitan.
The Ultimates.
Bendis' Daredevil.
Frank Miller's Daredevil Omnibus if you have that kind of 'major cash'.
Contract With God Trilogy HC
Loveless
Formerly Known As the Justice League, and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League stars all of the Justice League character's of Giffen's run, including Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, and its mucho funny.

Afny
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
You should get the following.

Jinx.
Transmetropolitan.
The Ultimates.
Bendis' Daredevil.
Frank Miller's Daredevil Omnibus if you have that kind of 'major cash'.
Contract With God Trilogy HC
Loveless
Formerly Known As the Justice League, and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League stars all of the Justice League character's of Giffen's run, including Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, and its mucho funny.

Is Transmetroplolitan in trades, or even better, some gigantic hardcover? I've been interested in that for a while now too.

jason hissong
10-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Is Transmetroplolitan in trades, or even better, some gigantic hardcover? I've been interested in that for a while now too.

Trades only, I thin. And I think there are ten of them.

glk
10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
We need a "Bendis Board Recommends" sticky with all the usual suspects like Transmet, Blankets, Box Office Poison, etc.

Icaruss
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Trades only, I think. And I think there are ten of them.

Sadly, he is correct. The whole series is made out of 10 relatively thin tradepaperbacks. I would love a big hardcover, too.

There's also a Volume 0, which collects some short stories.

James Sime @ Isotope
10-17-2006, 03:35 PM
I love these kind of threads. Hell I do this for a living (laugh)! Here's a few trades to check out...

Light superhero:

Invincible - Kirkman's other great series. Vol 2 will kick your ass.
Nextwave - Warren Ellis makes me laugh. Great!
Captain America: Winter Soldier - Watch Brubaker kick some serious ass.
Legion of Superheroes - The book that makes you love superheroes all over again.
Godland - A trippy, weird, brilliant love letter to 70's Kirby.
The Goon - Maybe it's light horror, maybe it's light superhero... but it's great either way!
DC: The New Frontier - Everything to love about superheroes. Darwyn Cooke is a god.

Not light superhero, but you'll thank me if you read 'em cos they're amazing:

Enigma - This is the book that Grant Morrison told me was "the greatest superhero comic ever made." It's fucking great.
Sleeper - One of the best comics in the last 5 years. Brilliant.
Wet Moon - Mark my words, Ross Campbell is going to be the hugest name in indy comics in five years. Read this or Abandonded (his zombie book) and find out why.
5 Fists of Science - Mark Twain & Nikola Tesla vs. Thomas Edison. Science!
Bambi & Her Pink Gun - Add it up: Tank Girl+Devil's Rejects+Shaolin Cowboy+the first four Ramones albums. Equals: Awesome.
We3 - Currently my favorite Grant Morrison book. A must-read!
Ex Machina - Great art, great writing. You're going to want this on your bookshelf.
Fables - It really is as good as everyone says it is.
Smoke & Guns - Warring gangs of cigarette girls. Not high art, but damn fun.
Black Hole - This creepy book will affect you. Like getting punched in the face. Gorgeous!
Walking Dead - No list would be complete without the king of all zombie books. Damn good!

Happy hunting!

James Sime @ Isotope
10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
If you like anthologies, check out Project Superior and Project Telstar. Totally worth it if you can find them.
Great suggestions! Also Project Romantic should be in stores shortly. Can't wait!

Afny
10-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I love these kind of threads. Hell I do this for a living (laugh)! Here's a few trades to check out...

Light superhero:

Invincible - Kirkman's other great series. Vol 2 will kick your ass.
Captain America: Winter Soldier - Watch Brubaker kick some serious ass.
Legion of Superheroes - The book that makes you love superheroes all over again.
Godland - A trippy, weird, brilliant love letter to 70's Kirby.
The Goon - Maybe it's light horror, maybe it's light superhero... but it's great either way!
DC: The New Frontier - Everything to love about superheroes. Darwyn Cooke is a god.

Not light superhero, but you'll thank me if you read 'em cos they're amazing:

Enigma - This is the book that Grant Morrison told me was "the greatest superhero comic ever made." It's fucking great.
Sleeper - One of the best comics in the last 5 years. Brilliant.
Wet Moon - Mark my words, Ross Campbell is going to be the hugest name in indy comics in five years. Read this or Abandonded (his zombie book) and find out why.
Bambi & Her Pink Gun - Add it up: Tank Girl+Devil's Rejects+Shaolin Cowboy+the first four Ramones albums. Equals: Awesome.
We3 - Currently my favorite Grant Morrison book. A must-read!
Ex Machina - Great art, great writing. You're going to want this on your bookshelf.
Fables - It really is as good as everyone says it is.
Black Hole - This creepy book will affect you. Like getting punched in the face. Gorgeous!
Walking Dead - No list would be complete without the king of all zombie books. Damn good!

Happy hunting!

The goon is my faveorite comic right now...I'm so sad hes taking a whole year to write Chinatown. Walking dead is on my list too, I only have volume one right now.

DeleriumTremens
10-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I can't recommend Eisner's Contract with God Trilogy *edit* enough. I was really blown away by how great that book was.

If your looking for some good DC super-hero stuff check out Geoff John's Flash & JSA and Rucka's Wonder Woman

Y The Last Man and The Walking Dead are great non-superhero read, and for a great Manga read I'd check out Battle Royale. The Bendis' DD HCs are great and look good. Invincible is also another great super-hero read.

James Sime @ Isotope
10-17-2006, 03:47 PM
The goon is my faveorite comic right now...I'm so sad hes taking a whole year to write Chinatown. Walking dead is on my list too, I only have volume one right now.

Oh yeah, you totally know what you're doing! Considering what great taste you have in comics, I'm willing to bet you're going to like a whole lot of things I suggested above. BUT my list didn't lean a whole lot towards the funny! These suggestions are the ones packed with laughs:

Also check out Fantastic Four/Iron Man: Big in Japan that book is funny as hell and just... amazing!

xyzzy
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I can't recommend Eisner's Contract with God Trilogy. I was really blown away by how great that book was.

So why can't you recommend it?

Adam Witt
10-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I'll agree with the sentiments for Nextwave, Transmetropolitan & Preacher.

Also, if you want some good superhero fun, get yourself the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale Marvel books if you don't have them [Spider-Man: Blue, Hulk: Gray, Daredevil: Yellow].

For your Daredevil needs, get the Miller/Mazzuchelli masterpiece called Born Again, and Miller/Romita Jr.'s DD: Man without Fear.

DeleriumTremens
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
So why can't you recommend it?
I meant to say I can't recommend it enough but I'm a computer illeterate dunce.

Magnum V.I.
10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Although it's not Superhero but it should be in your collection,

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 and 2.

It's got me stoked for the Black Dossier and anymore that Moore can publish in this vein. Truly an amazing read.

jason hissong
10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Speaking of Moore-

TOP TEN!

Andreas
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Paul Auster's City of Glass (http://www.amazon.com/City-Glass-Paul-Auster/dp/0312423608/sr=1-1/qid=1161133184/ref=sr_1_1/104-6640418-6855926?ie=UTF8&s=books), by David Karasik and David Mazzucchelli

An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons and True Stories (http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Graphic-Fiction-Cartoons-Stories/dp/0300111703/sr=1-1/qid=1161132745/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6640418-6855926?ie=UTF8&s=books), edited by Ivan Brunetti

Berlin: City of Stones (http://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Book-One-Jason-Lutes/dp/1896597297/sr=1-1/qid=1161132637/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6640418-6855926?ie=UTF8&s=books), by Jason Lutes

Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories (http://www.amazon.com/Palomar-Heartbreak-Soup-Stories-Rockets/dp/1560975393/sr=1-1/qid=1161132484/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6640418-6855926?ie=UTF8&s=books), by Gilbert Hernandez

Get Flight Vol. 3 later, two volumes of Flight is overkill. ;)

Andreas

Afny
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Oh, I meant to ask, what are the best volumes of Astro City?

monkeyboy
10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
okay i would suggest the teen titans books, and if you don't have a copy, everybody needs to read kingdom come. And if you like manga and girls ya might wanna give Battle Vixens and or Battle School a shot.

Afny
10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I've read some teen titans (Some old Johns stuff, and the first four of the new series). And eh...manga...

Icaruss
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Confession's the best Astro City trade around, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Seriously.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention LxG. If you don't like that book, you just don't like comics. No. Actually, if you don't like that book, you're an speculator.

And, I'm also recommending The Authority. You would do best to buy both Absolute editions, but the TBPs are also great, plus the last one also contains the great Transfer of Power fill-in, which doesn't come in Millar's Absolute edition.