PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION all Mac Users

Alex<sadly>Maleev
04-28-2005, 03:46 PM
It's not really a help issue. Post some of your favorite small applications that help you get through the day easier. My favorite: PithHelmet and Little snitch.

moonspider
04-28-2005, 03:48 PM
love my Itunes and all my macromedia and adobe programs

Brian Defferding
04-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Safari. Great pop-up blocker.

Movie Maker
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
are you guys doing this to piss me off?

Brian Defferding
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
are you guys doing this to piss me off?

Now why on earth would this piss you off?

moonspider
04-28-2005, 03:51 PM

i got safari, netscape, and explorer...YAY!!

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
04-28-2005, 03:56 PM
I always stop and consider how my responses can better piss off Movie...Maker... before I make them.

I use a PC at work, but when I get home I rock iTunes pretty hard.

Alex<sadly>Maleev
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
People. Not applications that came with your Mac. Things you've discovered on your own and work for you. And if anyone has discovered Photoshop alone, he should be very very proud of himself. ;)

Movie Maker
04-28-2005, 04:01 PM

because my ever growing need of a mac is steadily rising and im pissed because i had an oppurtunity to get a g5 a few years ago but i wasnt at the point of wanting one enough yet so i went with a shitty sony vaio pc. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
People. Not applications that came with your Mac. Things you've discovered on your own and work for you. And if anyone has discovered Photoshop alone, he should be very very proud of himself. ;)
Oh. Thanks for clarifying NOW. :rolleyes:

Alex<sadly>Maleev
04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
You're welcome.

jdklann
04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Acid Search; a great plug-in for Safari that allows you to search pretty much any site you want.

IP in Menu Bar; displays your current IP address in (wait for it...) your menu bar. Works great for finding out when you have a valid network connection.

Weather POP; displays current weather conditions in your menu bar. Living in MN, where it snows on April 27 (I'm still pissed about that!), it's essential.

TinkerTool; allows you to tweak some hidden system settings.

Onyx; great utility that does all sorts of "fun" system upkeep stuff (clearing caches, prebinding, running CRON jobs on demand etc) as well as tweaking application settings.

B3NN3TT
04-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I like SOX (System Optimizer X). It's a nice system clean-up utility.

Synergy is my favorite iTunes widget. It puts play-pause-previous-next buttons in the menubar so you don't have to switch apps to control iTunes. It also pops up a translucent "floater" in the corner of the screen (or wherever you set it to pop up) of the song title, album cover art, and whatever else you set it to display. And it goes away after a few seconds. It can automatically download album art from Amazon as well.

And I use Chronosync for backup detail.

And I use Unison for my news reader / MP3 stealer.

AAlgar
04-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a clock screensaver and an MP3 alarm app for my iBook. So when I go to sleep, my laptop turns into my alarm clock. I know it's simple, but I love it. :D

Alex<sadly>Maleev
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Acid Search; a great plug-in for Safari that allows you to search pretty much any site you want.

IP in Menu Bar; displays your current IP address in (wait for it...) your menu bar. Works great for finding out when you have a valid network connection.

Weather POP; displays current weather conditions in your menu bar. Living in MN, where it snows on April 27 (I'm still pissed about that!), it's essential.

TinkerTool; allows you to tweak some hidden system settings.

Onyx; great utility that does all sorts of "fun" system upkeep stuff (clearing caches, prebinding, running CRON jobs on demand etc) as well as tweaking application settings.
Weather pop I had as well, but not very accurate. I'll look up the others.

Alex<sadly>Maleev
04-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Synergy is my favorite iTunes widget.
Look up Volume logic.

jdklann
04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Weather pop I had as well, but not very accurate. I'll look up the others.

Cool; let me know what you think.

Another one that I just thought of is something called Wednesday's List. It pulls down the shipping list from Diamond and allows you to print out a customized list of new releases you're looking to pick up. It's pretty basic but kinda cool.

SethInAz
04-28-2005, 07:51 PM
I love Audacity for all my .WAV editing, except sometimes it crashes :-(

Band in a Box, Finale, MactheRipper, and Roxio Popcorn are great.

VLC Player will play just about any movie file.

Limewire is my P2P software.

Persevering Guy
04-28-2005, 08:32 PM
uh.. i've been using a mac for a year and a half now and I have no idea what these "minor applications" are. I like how the ibook takes only a few seconds to start up and shut down. and it's never freezed on me or got a virus.