PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider racist?

batmanbooyah
10-07-2006, 03:30 PM
i was watching the departed last night, and jack nicholson said "nigger" and i could hear some gasps in the crowd. not many, but you could hear it (though when people kept dieing you heard nothing, but sociology is for another time!)

at what point do you consider something racist? when a stranger says it? when there's a mean tone to it? i make racist jokes all the time, with every race, and only got called on it once. but that once, the indian dude i was talking to turned to the asian chick who called me out and said "i don't know why you're taking this so seriously, it's just a joke" which i laughed. which pissed her off even more. sheesh.

(also as an aside, if a no name character said nigger in a movie, no one would gasp. but whoever pointed out the other day that jack nicholson just plays jack nicholson in movies was right. people go there to see jack be jack. i doubt everyone who gasped thought "how did frank say that!" instead i think they thought "wow, jack nicholson said that!" he's an actor you idiots!)

Magnum V.I.
10-07-2006, 03:34 PM
i was watching the departed last night, and jack nicholson said "nigger" and i could hear some gasps in the crowd. not many, but you could hear it (though when people kept dieing you heard nothing, but sociology is for another time!)

at what point do you consider something racist? when a stranger says it? when there's a mean tone to it? i make racist jokes all the time, with every race, and only got called on it once. but that once, the indian dude i was talking to turned to the asian chick who called me out and said "i don't know why you're taking this so seriously, it's just a joke" which i laughed. which pissed her off even more. sheesh.

(also as an aside, if a no name character said nigger in a movie, no one would gasp. but whoever pointed out the other day that jack nicholson just plays jack nicholson in movies was right. people go there to see jack be jack. i doubt everyone who gasped thought "how did frank say that!" instead i think they thought "wow, jack nicholson said that!" he's an actor you idiots!)

Haven't seen the movie but from watching Goodfellas, I can only assume that it was racism. The character was probably a racist and said it. I say racists jokes all the time (My high point being when I had abunch of different people in the lobby of a dorm keep saying jokes with me) and I have known to let the N word fly a lot if I'm alone or playing Halo with some friends. Sure that's racists, but I am not a prejudicial person nor do I discriminate in my mind or to people's faces. Hell, I've hung around my black friends all the time to the point they were calling me nigga. But again, I grew up in the south and I have seen Racism and then seen people make fun of it (Like Richard Pryor).

batmanbooyah
10-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Haven't seen the movie but from watching Goodfellas, I can only assume that it was racism. The character was probably a racist and said it. I say racists jokes all the time (My high point being when I had abunch of different people in the lobby of a dorm keep saying jokes with me) and I have known to let the N word fly a lot if I'm alone or playing Halo with some friends. Sure that's racists, but I am not a prejudicial person nor do I discriminate in my mind or to people's faces. Hell, I've hung around my black friends all the time to the point they were calling me nigga. But again, I grew up in the south and I have seen Racism and then seen people make fun of it (Like Richard Pryor).

huh? no wait, yeah, it IS racist in the movie, i'm not arguing that! that was just what got me to thinking.

Magnum V.I.
10-07-2006, 03:37 PM
huh? no wait, yeah, it IS racist in the movie, i'm not arguing that! that was just what got me to thinking.

Ok I understand. But like, if Jack was yelling that at a Lakers game it'd be different.

batmanbooyah
10-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok I understand. But like, if Jack was yelling that at a Lakers game it'd be different.

JUST a bit :lol:

Thommy Melanson
10-07-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.theshrubbery.com/0400/bastard.gif

YouStayClassy
10-07-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.theshrubbery.com/0400/bastard.gif
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ELJB2I.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thommy Melanson
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ELJB2I.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://chrisbrown.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/nofx-740095.jpg

YouStayClassy
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
http://chrisbrown.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/nofx-740095.jpg
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00076QGIW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thommy Melanson
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00076QGIW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://lae.blogg.se/images/vapors_1137934942.jpg

YouStayClassy
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/00/The_Bangles_Walk_Like_An_Egyptian.jpg/200px-The_Bangles_Walk_Like_An_Egyptian.jpg

Boris the Blade
10-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Someone implying in all seriousness that they believe certain races have inherent traits with a negative association, despite lack of proof.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
All who disagree with me, for I am superior to all.

batmanbooyah
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM

that's not racist! that's playfully cute!

Briomega
10-07-2006, 04:21 PM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/Briomega/vanilla20ice.jpg

Foolish Mortal
10-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Someone implying in all seriousness that they believe certain races have inherent traits with a negative association, despite lack of proof.
Bill Bennett: "If you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down."

Louis Farrakhan: "Murder and lying comes easy for white people."

Ben
10-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Racism is racist.

NATE!
10-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Racism is the number one cause of insomnia for over-self-conscious white people.

SethInAz
10-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Racism is racism, even if it's true.

SimiBoyz
10-08-2006, 01:50 AM
When it is said with belief

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
10-08-2006, 01:53 AM
The fact that modern rock stations would play Eminem but not other rappers.

Caley Tibbittz
10-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Mexicans are short.

batmanbooyah
10-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Mexicans are short.

that's a stereotype.

batmanbooyah
10-08-2006, 01:58 AM
The fact that modern rock stations would play Eminem but not other rappers.

basically, yes. f that.

Caley Tibbittz
10-08-2006, 02:05 AM
that's a stereotype.
But it's a racist stereotype, and at the day's end, isn't that what matters?

...boy, Jews really like money.

Magnum V.I.
10-08-2006, 02:10 AM

....Man, White people sure love Those Gay Polka's.....

Caley Tibbittz
10-08-2006, 02:12 AM
....Man, White people sure love Those Gay Polka's.....
White nerds, anyway... and I would know...

Magnum V.I.
10-08-2006, 02:15 AM
White nerds, anyway... and I would know...

Man Black People Love some hot sauce and Chicken......

batmanbooyah
10-08-2006, 02:20 AM

but being short isn't bad. it's a stereotype. usually racist statements put down a people, but saying "mexican's are short" is stereotyping them. saying "mexicans are short because they like to steal" or some crap, is a racist stereotype.

UltimateFactor
10-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Man Black People Love some hot sauce and Chicken......
Goddamn right! *Munches on his Hotsauce and chicken.*

Really though, nothing is absolute these days. People say Racist is Racist, which can be true, but in today's world it depends on the motivation behind it. Joking Racism is Racism, but it isn't going to be taken that way among friends. Just the other day some friends and I were talking about sex and one told me to "That's right Shawn, show her the part of you that's black." [I'm a mutt by the way.] And on another occasion I was picking up the New Evanescence album and talking about it with a friend and he was like, "Yeah, that's the white in you talking." Honestly, I only consider somthing Racism when it comes from a hateful, spiteful and fearful person. And even then, I'm not the type to get mad at it. I was working register at Toys R Us four years ago during Christmas time and an old white lady got pissed because we were out of some hot toy or another and called me a stupid Nigger when I told her so. My boss, who was nearby, looked at her, then me like I was going to jump over the counter and powerbomb her or somthing. I just laughed and a bit, apologized to her for not having the item and rung her out. The people behind her were pissed at her [Most of them white] and all pat me on the shoulder for how I handled it, as did my boss. I didn't care really. I mean, in my eyes she was a crusty old fuck who stank of of old people cream and dogs. Only difference was she spoke her mind, and I didn't because I liked my job. 8-)

Magnum V.I.
10-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Goddamn right! *Munches on his Hotsauce and chicken.*

Really though, nothing is absolute these days. People say Racist is Racist, which can be true, but in today's world it depends on the motivation behind it. Joking Racism is Racism, but it isn't going to be taken that way among friends. Just the other day some friends and I were talking about sex and one told me to "That's right Shawn, show her the part of you that's black." [I'm a mutt by the way.] And on another occasion I was picking up the New Evanescence album and talking about it with a friend and he was like, "Yeah, that's the white in you talking." Honestly, I only consider somthing Racism when it comes from a hateful, spiteful and fearful person. And even then, I'm not the type to get mad at it. I was working register at Toys R Us four years ago during Christmas time and an old white lady got pissed because we were out of some hot toy or another and called me a stupid Nigger when I told her so. My boss, who was nearby, looked at her, then me like I was going to jump over the counter and powerbomb her or somthing. I just laughed and a bit, apologized to her for not having the item and rung her out. The people behind her were pissed at her [Most of them white] and all pat me on the shoulder for how I handled it, as did my boss. I didn't care really. I mean, in my eyes she was a crusty old fuck who stank of of old people cream and dogs. Only difference was she spoke her mind, and I didn't because I liked my job. 8-)

See that's the way I see things.

batmanbooyah
10-08-2006, 02:28 AM
hot dogs? wtf?

Caley Tibbittz
10-08-2006, 02:37 AM
mexicans are short because they like to steal
:rofl:

...that's the funniest thing I've seen all week...

Magnum V.I.
10-08-2006, 02:39 AM
:rofl:

...that's the funniest thing I've seen all week...

or read maybe....

Caley Tibbittz
10-08-2006, 02:43 AM
or read maybe....
I read it by seeing it!:-x:-x:-x

Magnum V.I.
10-08-2006, 02:49 AM
I read it by seeing it!:-x:-x:-x

And?....You still have to read it for it to be funny....

man will my sleeping pill kick in already...:-x :-x :-x

Corwin: Bear Fighter
10-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Calling somebody a derogatory word and actually meaning it is racist.

batmanbooyah
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Calling somebody a derogatory word and actually meaning it is racist.

what about if you think its funny, but others don't?

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
10-08-2006, 03:03 PM

I love all types of humor. Some people would say I'm funny. (wakka, wakka) I get the idea of ironic racist humor. Racism isn't your intent, mocking people who believe that crap is. However, I think it's a very delicate comedic tool. Few people can be Richard Pryor or Chris Rock. There lies a line where I think you (in general) cease to be a white person fighting the good fight and become a white person who is trying to tell a minority audience how they should cope with a serious issue that has the potential to touch their everyday lives. I, personally, think it's healthy to laugh at your problems, even very serious ones. It takes away the sting. Not everyone copes the same way, though. Who am I to tell someone how to get by especially when I hardly ever deal with that issue? So, this is why I can understand when someone gets offended over an ironic racist joke.