M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Not that any of us here in NJ care about this, but it ain't just comic books--

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/429

Lyfeforce
10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Not that any of us here in NJ care about this, but it ain't just comic books--

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/429

How are they going to do that technologically speaking?

MIKE D
10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Stupid horseshit state.

Ziggy
10-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Yay Jersey!!

Ray G.
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Unfuckingbelievable. Taxes on comics and ITunes? I'm sure there was no government pork they could have cut.....nooo.....

Don't blame me, I voted for Forrester.

Oeming
10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Just another reason Im joining the New Jersey Exodus. Im out bitches!

Ziggy
10-03-2006, 12:19 PM
you can't, mike! this state has so little going for it to begin with. don't make it worse!

M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Just another reason Im joining the New Jersey Exodus. Im out bitches!You can't-- who will protect us from meteors and hurricanes!?!?

brianquinn
10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
some of the stuff on that site is correct, but the itunes seems wrong. if the business is in the same state of purchase (ie, barnes & noble is NJ) then you have to pay the taxes. if it is out of state, country, ect, you are not getting taxed.

taxes on comics and magazines, yep, as of this past weekend.

ahhh, libs of NJ, when will you ever learn. let's see what excuse Corzine uses to step down in a few years before he can finish up his four years.

B

Oeming
10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
We get taxed on other things out of state, they will find a way... Jersey is the perfect example of a "liberal state" gone wrong, just the worst of the lefts political side... and I say that as a left leaning kind of guy.

M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Let's face it, politicians are in the business of lying. It doesn't really matter what side they pretend to be on, they are all on they're own damn side.

Ares
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Just another reason Im joining the New Jersey Exodus. Im out bitches!
Lots of room for Talented People in Toronto..
Think of it as living out Omega Flight!

Oeming
10-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Let's face it, politicians are in the business of lying. It doesn't really matter what side they pretend to be on, they are all on they're own damn side.

Agreed, but some places are just worse with one side or the other... I think we had like five mayors arrested last year in Jersey!

Ares
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Just how will they tax shipping and handling charges?

Ziggy
10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
some of the stuff on that site is correct, but the itunes seems wrong. if the business is in the same state of purchase (ie, barnes & noble is NJ) then you have to pay the taxes. if it is out of state, country, ect, you are not getting taxed.

B

this is being handled differently than just the out of state purchase thing.

the notice they sent to my comic store to inform them of the tax changes had a whole thing in it about the taxing of digital media. i don't have the paper in front of me, and can't remember exactly what it said, but the jist of it was that buying and downloading digital media was being taxed. the in-state/out-of-state thing still applies to mail order. so, say, ordering a CD that is being shipped from out of state would still not be a taxable item, but downloading the ablum as MP3s via itunes or some other service would be taxable. regardless of where the company is based.

M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Agreed, but some places are just worse with one side or the other... I think we had like five mayors arrested last year in Jersey!At what point does this start to become something we can be proud of?

M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 01:55 PM
this is being handled differently than just the out of state purchase thing. the notice they sent to my comic store to inform them of the tax changes had a whole thing in it about the taxing of digital media. i don't have the paper in front of me, and can't remember exactly what it said, but the jist of it was that buying and downloading digital media was being taxed. the in-state/out-of-state thing still applies to mail order. so, say, ordering a CD that is being shipped from out of state would still not be a taxable item, but downloading the ablum as MP3s via itunes or some other service would be taxable. regardless of where the company is based. We had a meeting about this yesterday but I was late...

Ziggy
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
always on top of things, sean! :-)

M. Sean McManus
10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
always on top of things, sean! :-)What can I say? I need a time machine or a teleporter or something.

:teleport:

Frozen Sooner
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Whoa. New Jersey is taxing periodicals?

That's a first amendment challenge waiting to happen...

The courts have been pretty consistent on denying states taxing authority on periodicals as something that can abridge the freedom of the press.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's why I always thought periodicals never got sales taxed.

Ziggy
10-04-2006, 05:06 AM
newspapers still don't get taxed.

Dr. Omega
10-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Just another reason Im joining the New Jersey Exodus. Im out bitches!Come to Portland. We don't even have a sales tax.

You could hang out with Bendis and Gail here..

Dr. Ω

Oeming
10-05-2006, 04:48 AM
Come to Portland. We don't even have a sales tax.

You could hang out with Bendis and Gail here..

Dr. Ω

BUt I like the sun sometimes:)