... interesting.

Jew Mafia
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
That's Wacky

:)

Vonn Hennigar
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, isn't he heading up 52?

Then again Mike Marts was a major force over at Marvel so something had to happen over at DC.

* You don't leave as Group Editor of the X-Books to edit say Firestorm and Blue Beetle.

DAVE
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow, does this mean Marvel is gonna get some continuity!?:lol:

RickLM
09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow, does this mean Marvel is gonna get some continuity!?

Yeah, Marvel should look to DC for how to straighten everything out.

I don't think this is good for DC. 52 is a good book.

Ray G.
Wow, fucking A.

I hope 52 doesn't go off the rails now.

DAVE
Yeah, Marvel should look to DC for how to straighten everything out.

I don't think this is good for DC. 52 is a good book.
I was only kidding.

RickLM
09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I was only kidding.

I wasn't sure, so to be safe, I decided to be a dick.

DAVE
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I wasn't sure, so to be safe, I decided to be a dick.
That's the way I always go with it too.

Sy-Klone
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
This looks like a big "get" for Marvel. Huge.

Sy-Klone
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Duh.

Shoulda searched.

D'oh.

:)

I can't wait to see where Wacker ends up at Marvel. The X-Office, maybe?

Rod Nunley
09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
So 52 is a good read? I aquired the first 16 issues but haven't started reading them yet.

Sy-Klone
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
So 52 is a good read? I aquired the first 16 issues but haven't started reading them yet.

I've bought the first 20 issues or so, and read the first 16 issues, but I honestly think I'm about to drop it. This book isn't written for me. 52 is written for someone who loves the DC Universe of the last few years. I don't dislike the DCU from the last two years, it just hasn't captivated me. That, coupled with financial considerations, may lead me to drop it. I already passed on the issue that came out today.

*shrugs*

DrMachine
09-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I committed to the first half of 52, and initially i was going to drop it. However, it really turned into an excellent story in the last 4 issues.

Captain Sensation
09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
What surprises me isnt that Joe Quesada would work out a deal so nicely that it puts DC in a bind as they (DC) probably put marvel in a similiar position with Marts off the X-men books. However with a guy doing a weekly book this is on some "meet me in the parking lot after school type" of business.

Gavin
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I wonder if this'll screw up the release schedule of 52. I've been amazed that they've been able to keep churning it out so consistently.

Steve Q
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
By the by, over at Millarworld C.B. Cebulski and John Voulries (author of All the Rage) have hinted that ANOTHER former editor might be joining the Marvel crew.

My money is on John Layman

Pat Loika
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I wish him well, at the same time, I hope DC's ahead enough on 52 that they won't miss a beat. It's a great book and it'd be a shame if this screws it up.

P.

Ray G.
09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I wish him well, at the same time, I hope DC's ahead enough on 52 that they won't miss a beat. It's a great book and it'd be a shame if this screws it up.

P.

Not for Marvel.

I guarantee you that this is exactly what they're hoping for. 52 shipping late would be the biggest PR coup imaginable for Marvel short of a guy in a Batman costume shooting up an airport.

And I don't begrudge them that. Marvel vs. DC is Sega vs. Nintendo or Coke vs. Pepsi. But that's probably what Marvel is hoping for.

Pat Loika
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Not for Marvel.

I guarantee you that this is exactly what they're hoping for. 52 shipping late would be the biggest PR coup imaginable for Marvel short of a guy in a Batman costume shooting up an airport.

And I don't begrudge them that. Marvel vs. DC is Sega vs. Nintendo or Coke vs. Pepsi. But that's probably what Marvel is hoping for.

I don't care about their drama. I just want my books, and I want them good. And in 52's case...weekly. :)

P.

NickT
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Wacker's work was pretty much done on 52.

Kevinroc
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
So, can we expect another round of talent shift (in terms of writers and artists)?

NickT
09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
It's "fun" to see the reactions round the internet to this.

Joe Doesn't Care
09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Wacker's work was pretty much done on 52.

I don't think so, he said they were doing art for issues in the 30s in his last newsarama interview.

Joe Henderson
09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
It's "fun" to see the reactions round the internet to this.

I just looked at the newsarama talkbacks...wow. Nice to see Mark Waid pop in there, defend Wacker, and shut up a whole lot of people...

NickT
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I just looked at the newsarama talkbacks...wow. Nice to see Mark Waid pop in there, defend Wacker, and shut up a whole lot of people...Yeah :)

Joe Doesn't Care
09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Waid on Newsarama
The next person...the very next person...who dares even hint that Steve Wacker was ever in any way "unprofessional" is going to be eating through a straw for the rest of his goddamned life.

I speak for all the creators involved with 52 when I say that Steve is one of the best, most professional and most talented editors we've ever worked with, and we will miss him immensely. His contribution to this series cannot be understated. Leaving was not an easy decision for him to make, but he has earned from us our support in whatever he does, and DC's loss is Marvel's gain.

Steve's professionalism is not up for debate in this forum, and to throw around a claim like that based on what little you know about comics, the industry, and life in general just makes you look like an idiot and makes Grant, Geoff, Greg and me eager to track you down and "visit" with you in a Jay and Silent Bob sort of way. Steve is a pro through and through. End of debate.

Mark Waid = The Mutha Fuckin Man

xanderharris
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
the stupidity at the newsarama forums is mindboggling.

bartleby
09-27-2006, 05:27 PM

I'm much more comfortable with the stupidity here...

NickT
09-27-2006, 06:17 PM
To quote someone talking to someone on another board, "Forget it, TJ. It's Newsarama-town." :)

Ray G.
09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Mark Waid smacking down the trolls at Newsarama is awesome.

That being said, don't think Joe Quesada doesn't jack off to the thought of 52 being late now. Wacker is an awesome editor, but his benefit to Marvel is almost equalled in the blow it is for DC.

Joe Doesn't Care
09-27-2006, 06:35 PM

That being said, don't think Joe Quesada doesn't jack off to the thought of 52 being late now. Wacker is an awesome editor, but his benefit to Marvel is almost equalled in the blow it is for DC.

I don't know it seemed as if Waid knew this was coming, and that it had be known too comic book insiders for a little while so maybe DC was able to square away any 52 problems that could have arise by Wacker leaving.

Ray G.
09-27-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't know it seemed as if Waid knew this was coming, and that it had be known too comic book insiders for a little while so maybe DC was able to square away any 52 problems that could have arise by Wacker leaving.

Hopefully. Wacker seems like a great guy and I can't imagine he would have left DC in the lurch.

NickT
09-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Don't you think that's a bit ironic? You praise Waid for basically getting annoyed at people deciding things about Wacker with nothing to back it up, then you do the same thing reguarding Quesada!

Howlett
09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Mark Waid was never a fave of mine. But right now, I'm so tempted to go out and buy every fucking book he has ever and will ever do. That was a great post :lol:

Adam Witt
09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Mark Waid was never a fave of mine. But right now, I'm so tempted to go out and buy every fucking book he has ever and will ever do. That was a great post :lol:

Word.

Ray G.
09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Don't you think that's a bit ironic? You praise Waid for basically getting annoyed at people deciding things about Wacker with nothing to back it up, then you do the same thing reguarding Quesada!

Not really. Attacking Wacker's professionalism is one thing. Joe Quesada is the editor in chief at Marvel. Part of his job is to fuck with the competition. If he can knock 52 off schedule by poaching their editor, he's being professional. That is, unless he did it by kidnapping Wacker's teacup poodle. That would be unprofessional. :)

Slamevil
09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm gonna miss 5.2 about 52, that was a cool column.

Boris the Blade
09-27-2006, 08:30 PM
52 is totally chugging along now, after starting strong and then stuttering.

This is an interesting loss, right in the middle of the project, shit. Bugs said it best.

This means war!

wh park
09-27-2006, 08:39 PM

I honestly don't see where you're coming from with this and your previous statement.

52 is not one of DC's top sellers and if it becomes late I don't see how Marvel benefits from it, PR or otherwise.

Marvel has enough to worry about with their own books let alone what DC's shipping record is like. Besides they can always crow about Seven Soldiers, All-Star Batman, Wonder Woman (all higher profile books than 52) and so on if they wanted to one up DC in the media.

From all accounts Marvel hired Wacker because he's an excellent editor who will bring a lot to the table.

mario
09-28-2006, 01:20 AM
I honestly don't see where you're coming from with this and your previous statement.

52 is not one of DC's top sellers and if it becomes late I don't see how Marvel benefits from it, PR or otherwise.

So being numbers 5 to 9 in the last charts of the Top300 selling a combined 500k books isn't a topseller now?
:mistrust:

And anyone think Whacker edited 52 alone is whack. There such things as assistent-editors, you know?

Sy-Klone
09-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Mark Waid is awesome. :)

Ethan Van Sciver
09-28-2006, 03:11 AM
I can't believe Steve left DC....

I hope Marvel is paying him boatloads, because he deserves it.

PoWerSurge
09-28-2006, 05:10 AM
It's interesting to me that no one here has suggested that it's not 100% "Marvel made the better offer" as much as "Did DC do something to piss him off"

Evan Wiener
09-28-2006, 05:18 AM
Y'know, sometimes people leave a job because competition recognizes someone's talent and gives them more money. I EXTREMELY doubt he would leave DC in a bad spot. This industry is WAY too tight to burn bridges, especially for editors.

Steve Q
09-28-2006, 06:38 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Cebulski/CebulskiBack.html

Looks like C.B. Cebulski is back at Marvel as well.

Marvel's talent level is probably at an all time high right now, but I can't wait to see what these editors can bring to the table

Jen Grunwald
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
I am amazed that this actually causes a stir within the comic fan community. If I didn't work here I definitely wouldn't care LESS who the editors were and when they crossed over. Weird.

Also, over a Newsarama people are all calling Steve "unprofessional" b/c he left his job in the middle of a project or something. That is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME at all KINDS of jobs! It's insane to expect someone to keep his job if he no longer wants to (for WHATEVER reasons, it doesn't matter, they're HIS reasons) just to finish something that someone else could finish anyway! This is his LIFE we're talking about!!

AND, I'm kind of sad for Mike Marts b/c he didn't seem to garner this much attention when he left us...unless I just didn't hear about it...

:rogue:

Steve Q
09-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I am amazed that this actually causes a stir within the comic fan community. If I didn't work here I definitely wouldn't care LESS who the editors were and when they crossed over. Weird.

Also, over a Newsarama people are all calling Steve "unprofessional" b/c he left his job in the middle of a project or something. That is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME at all KINDS of jobs! It's insane to expect someone to keep his job if he no longer wants to (for WHATEVER reasons, it doesn't matter, they're HIS reasons) just to finish something that someone else could finish anyway! This is his LIFE we're talking about!!

AND, I'm kind of sad for Mike Marts b/c he didn't seem to garner this much attention when he left us...unless I just didn't hear about it...

Marts's departure didnt have the sting that Wacker had becuase Wacker was editing a weekly book, one of the biggest most amibtious projects DC had ever undertaken.

LazyComix
09-28-2006, 08:31 AM

Word.

It's not like a brain surgeon leaving mid-surgury.

Jen Grunwald
09-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Word.

It's not like a brain surgeon leaving mid-surgury.

Yeah! If THAT happened, I could TOTALLY understand there being angry threads on the popular brain surgeon boards!! ;)

NickT
09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Before we rush to judgements, are we totally sure that he didn't leave brain surgery midway through?

;)

RickLM
09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Before we rush to judgements, are we totally sure that he didn't leave brain surgery midway through?

;)

Mark Waid told the brain surgeon geeks to go EFF themselves.

wh park
09-28-2006, 11:17 AM

I don't think it's weird or uncommon for fans to care about editorial changes from either office to office or company to company.

In the history of the comic's industry it's been well documented how important editors can be to their respective employers and the writers, artisits and other creative people who work on comics.

Look at people like Julius Schwartz, Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Denny O'Neil, Archie Goodwin, Mark Gruenwald, Louise Jones/Simonson, Ann Nocenti, Karen Berger, Axel Alonso, Diana Schutz and so forth. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of books that fall under the umbrella of certain editors. Archie Goodwin and Denny O'Neil were prime examples of this.

As a reader, particularly in the 90s I would look at and make note of who the editor was of certain books because I felt that name helped ensure that it would be something worth the money I spent on it (of course the character and creators were prime factors in this as well).

These days I look at Tom Brevoort as an editor who is able to get good creators on the right characters and help make sure a quality book is coming out.

BWC Boston
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Well, to be fair, Marts didn't host a weekly humorous Q & A column about and ambitious and entertaining project he was midway through. I think that went a long way to ingratiating Wacker to fans, since they had gotten to "know" him a bit.

Jen Grunwald
09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, to be fair, Marts didn't host a weekly humorous Q & A column about and ambitious and entertaining project he was midway through. I think that went a long way to ingratiating Wacker to fans, since they had gotten to "know" him a bit.

I was mostly joking about that bit anyway... :)

Ben
09-28-2006, 12:00 PM

:rogue:Comic fans know too much behind-the-scenes info.

Albert
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Comic fans know too much behind-the-scenes info.

There should be a television series about the behind-the-scenes goings on of a comic book company.

Steve Q
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
There should be a television series about the behind-the-scenes goings on of a comic book company.

It will be called: "Cancelled After Two Episodes"

Olivier E.
09-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Did anyone know who Wacker was before 52?

If Stuart Moore would have come back at Marvel, that would have been something. :(

Jen Grunwald
09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Did anyone know who Wacker was before 52?

If Stuart Moore would have come back at Marvel, that would have been something. :(

Oh that would be awesome! I love Stuart!! :heart: :)

kpa
09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
It will be called: "Cancelled After Two Episodes"

Yeah, but then they can just retroactively announce it was a two-episode mini-series.