PDA

View Full Version : My wife and I want to see a show in NYC: what do you suggest?

Evan Wiener
09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
We're coming up on our 2nd anniversary the week of Thanksgiving. Last year we saw Avenue Q, which I heard was good, and it was better than I'd expected.

I'm looking for some suggestions for another show this year. The wife is interested in "I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE." Any good?

SteveFlack
09-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Cats.

-Steve!

Josh!
09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I really enjoyed "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee."

Think The Breakfast Club meets Revenge of the Nerds. But in Elementary school, and with songs.

Beep Beep!
09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Skip NYC and come to Vegas and see Mamma Mia!

The Roman Candle
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
"I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE" is fantastic.

Flonk
09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
I've heard good things about the Spelling Bee.

Avenue Q is all sorts of awesome, but you've seen that.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was 15 shades of awesome, but of course it closed a few weeks ago.

I have not seen The Wedding Singer yet, but it's got Stephen Lynch in the Adam Sandler role, and Lynch is one funny fella (www.stephenlynch.com).

I'm not sure if The Odd Couple is still running, but that was damn good.

Spamalot is pretty funny too. It's Monty Python, but with more singing.

I think Sweeney Todd is closing soon. You should catch that while you still can. Amazing show.

ReporterSteven
09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Skip "I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE" unless you want to gamble on the performance. Sometimes it's good but sometimes it's not and that's the challenge you take on an Off Broadway production.

I saw Wicked in NYC recently and it was, by far, the best musical I've seen in a long time (and I've been doing reviews of musicals since 1998 and watched them far longer than even that).

The Wedding Singer is OK but there are just too many moments during it where you'll crave for the movie because of just how shoddy they tread on it. If you love the '80s, you'll likely get over all that just to see the Reagan impersonator hang out with the Billy Idol impersonator and the Tina impersonator (and there are many more impersonators, to boot).

If you really liked Avenue Q, you'll love Spamalot but it's consistently sold out. And beware scalpers because the theater recently institited a policy where they will actually reprint someone's tickets ... so a scalper will try and sell you their original tickets and still have the reprinted tix in his pocket. Believe it or not, the reprinted tix will trump the original ones and you'll be standing outside in disgust.

Hairspray is a great show I saw when it first premiered. Not sure how good the current cast is, though.

This is a good legit site for tickets if you want to buy in advance. http://www.broadwaybox.com/

Steven

jza1218
09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Theres an Evil Dead off-Broadway show.

There's even a splatter section!

http://www.evildeadthemusical.com/

Skatonic10
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I thought Wicked was not only an great story for people familiar with Wizard of Oz, but also a fantastic stage production.

Sam Little
09-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Check out THE BLUE MAN GROUP. It's big fun. You also can't go wrong with Les Miz if you're looking for a big production with all the bells and whistles. LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is also great if that's still running.

Flonk
09-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Little shop of Horrors closed a while back. It was a damn good show though.

Wicked is.....OK. It's not bad. but its very uneven. It can't decide if it's a comedy or a drama. The book is much better.

Evan Wiener
09-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Wicked was a little pricey, but seems like it might be cool to see something based on a story as well-known and popular as Wizard of Oz.

mattbrand
09-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Is Spamalot still playing in NYC?