PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Saw Stranger Than Fiction

ERNIE_E
09-19-2006, 08:13 PM
So I got back from the Toronto Film Festival and I have to say that this was my absolute favorite film, amongst many I saw in six days. I won't spoil anything, I just wanted to say that it has that Little Miss Sunshine-like charm to it, just not a lot to dislike in it really.

Hoffman, Thompson and Ferrell were all fantastic. A great screenplay especially for you fellow writers out there. And some really cool CGI work that's wisely used, and a beautiful end credits sequence that you must stay through if you're a graphic designer.

It's not coming out for another few months, but I know it's opening Chicago Film Festival. Just make sure you see it, it's just an awesome film.

THWIP!
09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
What else did you see?

ERNIE_E
09-19-2006, 09:14 PM
All The Kings Men (Penn unfortunately was great again, good film, not great .

Stranger than Fiction (As stated above)

Fay Grim (Hal Hartley sequel to Henry Fool starring Parker Posey and Jeff Goldblum)

Election 1 & 2 (Johnny To films)

Mon Melliuer Ami --My Best Friend (French comedy starring the great Daniel Autiel and directed by Patrice Leconte who did the Widow of St. Pierre. This was probably my 2nd favorite film I saw)

L'Homme De Sa Vie-- The Man in my Life (Another French comedy/drama about a gay man who moves next door to a happy family. When he gets close to his neighbor their relationships get close and distant-- really a fabulous screenplay... another fave from the festival. Lots of ambiguity and lots to talk about afterwards)

Bugmaster (Katsuhiro Otomo live action was.... okay. Started off fairly good, but was left disappointed)

Waiter (French comedy with some similarities to Stranger than Fiction)

Half Life of Timofey Berezin (Cool film about a guy exposed to high radiation at Nuclear plant and tries to find a way to get his family money before he dies. Produced by Sodebergh and Clooney)

This is England (Excellent UK film about both sides of Skinhead movement)

Invisible Waves (Pen-Ek Ratanaruang.... biggest disappointment because I really liked SixtyNine and Last Life in the Universe. Did not like this.)

Born & Bred (Argentinean film was... okay)

Renaissance (French noir animated film. Very cool to look at, like a noir comic to life, story was... okay. Like a slow anime film)

A Cry in the Dark (Documentary about protest gone violent in northern province of India. Seemingly an incomplete film or one you wish was passionately pursued better when project ended.)

Mark
09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
This is England looks pretty rockin' from the clips I've seen. What happened to For Your Consideration?

ERNIE_E
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
This is England looks pretty rockin' from the clips I've seen. What happened to For Your Consideration?

From what I heard it was great. I tried getting into this but signed up for the gala tickets (Big Premiere) when my tickets couldn't get me in those. By the time I go into town to pick them up, the second screening For Your Consideration was on Rush (stand-by). But I knew it would be out for sure in my area, so I tried to see films that I knew would either be great films or films I would probably have a hard time seeing in Ann Arbor, Mi. We get a lot of art flicks, and indies/foreign films but not everything I like. The huge films, I knew would fill up and knew I could see them. Hopefully next year I'll be a bit more prepared and be able to cover it as press and get into ~80% of the films.