PDA

View Full Version : Ok. So I bashed The American Office when it started.

THWIP!
09-16-2006, 11:11 AM
But I really like Steve Carell and I wanted to give it another shot. So I stared with season 2 and I've only been through 2 episodes but I have been laughing my ass off. The Sexual Harassment episode was great especially Michael Scott's Boner line at the end. I hope to get through the season before it starts up again. I don't know if it better than the BBC but I like it so far.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
It is funny.

Jef UK
09-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I did the same thing. Once it found its own voice, USA Office really took off. The second season is amazing.

Ethan Van Sciver
09-16-2006, 11:22 AM
It'll take me awhile to believe this. I'd feel like I was cheating on the UK cast.

Joshzilla
09-16-2006, 11:24 AM
I've never watched the British version of the show, but damn, the American version is such a fantastic show. It's a kind of humor that we just don't get enough of on t.v.

Feinbird
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
I've had a similar experience with the American version too. I loved the British version, but had a tough time enjoying the US first season. Then after seeing the 40-year-old virgin, I gave the show another shot. I watched the Dundees episode(the season premeire i think), and laughed my ass off. The series is now my favorite comedy, hands down.

Freeway
09-16-2006, 11:27 AM
The big challenge now for the American Office...

...is to pull off a Jim/Pam romance without making the show just another sitcom.

t00lverine
09-16-2006, 11:28 AM
The first season was so bad, but the second season was very enjoyable.

Dennis K
09-16-2006, 11:37 AM
I've left plenty of room on the bandwagon for you latecomers. Welcome aboard.

kari
09-16-2006, 11:44 AM
I've watched it on and off....but I was glued to the tv this last season. The season ender just blew me away.

Sy-Klone
09-16-2006, 12:01 PM
It's very good. If you're like me, you'll enjoy it more as the season progresses, because you stop drawing comparisons to the UK Office. I'm not someone who gets into those whole "UK Office is better than US Office" or vice versa things. They're both amazing shows in their own right, and to draw the comparison is unfair for both of them.

Raphael J
09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
It'll take me awhile to believe this. I'd feel like I was cheating on the UK cast.

The first season, as was said earlier, just wasn't very good. But, it was only a handful of episodes and the second season is pretty brilliant. It's one of the better written comedy shows on television and possibly has the best acting of any sitcom on network television. But that's just my opinion.

Patton
09-16-2006, 12:19 PM
The first season, as was said earlier, just wasn't very good.
Bite your tongue you philanderer.

Simps
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
The first season, as was said earlier, just wasn't very good. But, it was only a handful of episodes and the second season is pretty brilliant. It's one of the better written comedy shows on television and possibly has the best acting of any sitcom on network television. But that's just my opinion.
I actually enjoyed the first season more after having watched the whole second season. Season Two is still markedly better, but I think people were unduely harsh on the first season because they thought it was just going to straight copy the BBC version.

Patton
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I actually enjoyed the first season more after having watched the whole second season. Season Two is still markedly better, but I think people were unduely harsh on the first season because they thought it was just going to straight copy the BBC version.
Word up.

Raphael J
09-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Bite your tongue you philanderer.

Leave your mother out of this.

Magnum V.I.
09-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Leave your mother out of this.

Thats what She said. :D

Freeway
09-16-2006, 01:25 PM

The amusing thing with The Office is that both versions had the same beginning, and then went off into two completely different directions. That said, there are a few similar parts:

-The efforts of the men to woo Katy in "Hot Girl" (US) mirrors the efforts of the men to woo Donna in "Work Experience" (UK).
-Dwight investigates a new health care plan in "Health Care" (US) and a joint found in the parking lot in "Drug Testing" (US), while Gareth Keenan investigates in "Work Experience" (UK).
-"Work Experience" (UK), "Sexual Harassment" (US) and "The Carpet" (US) deal with the antics of Chris Finch (UK)/Todd Packer (US).
-"Training Day" (UK) resembles "Diversity Day" (US).

These are just a few examples.

speedr
09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
i just started watching the second season as well. i'm about half way through. it's still not as good as the bbc version, i think. but michael scott in improv class made me really laugh hard, so i'm definitely warming up to this show.

Freeway
09-16-2006, 01:46 PM
5 days!

Ben Rosen
09-16-2006, 01:49 PM
i mean, NOTHING is as good as the BBC one, but it's still an amazing show.

bartleby
09-16-2006, 02:11 PM

You know how Brad Pitt was cheating on Jennifer Aniston with Angelina Jolie? It's kinda like that.

changingshades
09-16-2006, 02:22 PM
The first season was so bad, but the second season was very enjoyable.
I wouldn't say bad, per se. I'd say it was just a remake, hitting all the same notes that the original did. Season 2 is where it really makes it it's own series. If you can watch the christmas episode and not almost cry from laughing so hard, you have no soul.

Mikie
09-16-2006, 02:27 PM
I love it! I'm pretty well hooked.