PDA

View Full Version : GOMUSIC.ru? A cheap music site, but is it safe?

Oeming
09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
A pal of mine told me about GOMUSIC.RU, a russian music site that sells mp3s really cheap.
Im sure its not completely legal, because its Russia, but how safe is it? I did a quick google search I havetn read any horror stories about credit cards being stolen and such. I imagine its just as safe/dangerous as any other site, but wanted to check here first because you guys know everything:)
M!

Smokinblues
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
This is just me...but I'd never hand over any of my payment information to any business based in russia. Especially if the legal ramifications are unclear, even if they are on the up and up in russia. Not worth it.

DrMachine
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
nope

Petey Parker
09-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't use it if I were you.

Doing a search on Google I found this:
http://forums.cdcovers.cc/archive/index.php?t-183992.html

Also apparently it used to be called MP3Search.ru. Here is an article about that
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/07/mp3search/index.php

Jim T.
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM
This is just me...but I'd never hand over any of my payment information to any business based in russia. Especially if the legal ramifications are unclear, even if they are on the up and up in russia. Not worth it.

Seconded.

Oeming
09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Yea, just as I was about to sign up, I had second thoughts. Glad I posted here first:)

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Try allofmp3.com.

As near as I can tell after doing some homework, it's legal. The payment is handled through a third party based in Amsterdam and carries Verified by Visa protection.

Smokinblues
09-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Try allofmp3.com.

As near as I can tell after doing some homework, it's legal. The payment is handled through a third party based in Amsterdam and carries Verified by Visa protection.

The legal status of allofmp3 is still up in the air as well. I don't think I'd trust a company in Amsterdam much more than I would in Russia. If something does go screwy you have no recourse. It's not worth the risk just to score cheap music.

Shane W
09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Try allofmp3.com.

I have had zero problems using this. if you are fearfull, ask your bank to give you a one-time use debit card number.

ClintP
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Just your instinct. If you have to ASK, you probably shouldn't.

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
The legal status of allofmp3 is still up in the air as well. I don't think I'd trust a company in Amsterdam much more than I would in Russia. If something does go screwy you have no recourse. It's not worth the risk just to score cheap music.

As it happens, you do have recourse.

Contact your card issuer if something shows up you didn't authorize.

They investigate, then refund your money.

I have yet to see a legitimate VISA dispute get denied.

RickLM
09-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I had no problem buying mp3s, and a new bride, on that site.

DrMachine
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
if you're buying your mp3s from russia (allofmp3 is a russian site) why even bother paying? just steal them...atleast you don't have to worry about getting your cc stolen

allofmp3 is a HUGE problem right now and the RIAA outright says it's illegal, the US government says as well...I don't see how it's a "fuzzy area"

it's legal if you're russian and IN russia, otherwise totally illegal

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 10:42 AM
if you're buying your mp3s from russia (allofmp3 is a russian site) why even bother paying? just steal them...atleast you don't have to worry about getting your cc stolen

allofmp3 is a HUGE problem right now and the RIAA outright says it's illegal, the US government says as well...I don't see how it's a "fuzzy area"

it's legal if you're russian and IN russia, otherwise totally illegal

1. The RIAA doesn't determine what's legal and not legal.
2. I haven't seen a definitive ruling from the Justice Department or any other US governmental agency saying it's illegal. I HAVE seen that the Justice Department has asked the Russian government to close the legal loophole that allows allofmp3.com to operate legally. When they do so, I'll stop using the service. If someone can show me that copyright is indeed being broken by allofmp3.com, then I will stop using it.
3. Why bother paying? Because I respect the rights of copyright holders. Unfortunately for the RIAA, they signed over more rights than they intended when they signed various distribution deals several years ago. I somehow feel little sympathy with the RIAA that they signed a bad business deal from which I profit.

The crux of the matter is that a license to broadcast music in Russia includes a license to distribute digitally. Allofmp3 has paid the appropriate licensing fees to the copyright holder to distribute music this way.

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry, don't mean to come across combative here.

If indeed you are correct and the US Government declares that downloaded music from allofmp3.com is illegal, then I will delete anything I've downloaded from my hard drive and file a claim with VISA to recover all $35 I've spent there based on false advertising. :D

DrMachine
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
1. The RIAA doesn't determine what's legal and not legal.
2. I haven't seen a definitive ruling from the Justice Department or any other US governmental agency saying it's illegal. I HAVE seen that the Justice Department has asked the Russian government to close the legal loophole that allows allofmp3.com to operate legally. When they do so, I'll stop using the service. If someone can show me that copyright is indeed being broken by allofmp3.com, then I will stop using it.
3. Why bother paying? Because I respect the rights of copyright holders. Unfortunately for the RIAA, they signed over more rights than they intended when they signed various distribution deals several years ago. I somehow feel little sympathy with the RIAA that they signed a bad business deal from which I profit.

The crux of the matter is that a license to broadcast music in Russia includes a license to distribute digitally. Allofmp3 has paid the appropriate licensing fees to the copyright holder to distribute music this way.

the RIAA can go to hell, but to say that you respect the rights of copyright holders and then proceed to download mp3s from a site that pays no royalties to the copyright holders makes no sense...which is why I say you may as well steal it

Smokinblues
09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
the RIAA can go to hell, but to say that you respect the rights of copyright holders and then proceed to download mp3s from a site that pays no royalties to the copyright holders makes no sense...which is why I say you may as well steal it

exactly.

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM

They paid the royalties when they originally purchased the right to broadcast.

That the RIAA or whomever woefully underestimated the license fee they should have charged is no concern of mine.

DrMachine
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
They paid the royalties when they originally purchased the right to broadcast.

That the RIAA or whomever woefully underestimated the license fee they should have charged is no concern of mine.

so basically they made a bad deal and now have to deal with it...

what I don't get is that, if I like the artist and want to support them why would I want to seem them get fucked (bad deal or not)

just like the Alan Moore business deals (I will not purchase V for Vendetta or Watchmen)

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
so basically they made a bad deal and now have to deal with it...

what I don't get is that, if I like the artist and want to support them why would I want to seem them get fucked (bad deal or not)

just like the Alan Moore business deals (I will not purchase V for Vendetta or Watchmen)

I don't "want" to see them get fucked. They fucked themselves.

Look at it this way-if you had signed a deal in 1990 that the only way you would buy music was in CD form for $15 a pop (which would have been a decent deal back then-they were running $18 per) with the RIAA, not knowing that digital download of single songs and whole albums at a much lower rate was coming, do you think the RIAA would let you off the hook?

Bidness is bidness, my friend. The legal holder of the copyright bargained their right away, for which they received recompense.

Will it break my heart if allofmp3 is declared illegal for US Citizens to use? Hell, no. I don't think .99 per song is all that unreasonable and I've gladly spent literally hundreds of dollars on iTunes.

edit:

And I own both Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Last time I checked, Alan Moore was of legal age and of sound mental condition when he signed his rights to those away.

Oeming
09-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Honestly, Im not worried about the legality of it so much as using my credit card. I admit it too:)

Frozen Sooner
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Sweet. Hey, do you mind if I photocopy a bunch of copies of Cross Bronx and start passing 'em out to my friends? ;)

On the credit card thing-I cannot find a single example of anyone using allofmp3.com and having their cc info worked. VISA offers 100% online fraud protection on anything with their logo anyhow. Depending on your card issuer, it can sometimes be a hairy pain in the ass to get your money back, but if your card is through your local bank or credit union you can usually holler in the lobby enough to get anything back that you didn't authorize. ;)

No, seriously, I've never seen anyone have a problem getting legitimate money back.

ClintP
09-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Honestly, Im not worried about the legality of it so much as using my credit card. I admit it too:)
What kind of artist are you? I thought it was an unspoken rule that artists are not supposed to promote theft of intellectual property...:-? Well, that is what Lars Ulrich told me....

I bet you would LOVE weird al's new song title Don't Download This Song!!!

NadiaYoung
01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I have actually been purchasing my music from gomusic.ru now for almost five years, starting back when they were mp3search.ru, and I've never had any problems with my information. The last time I paid, they used verified by visa, and I've always gotten my money's worth. The music downloads for me with no problems, and I can go back and download it again on another computer in my house since they save it to my account. I've never had any problems with it saving to my iPod, either, but can understand the questions about giving your money to a Russian site. Try uploading just a little bit of money onto an account that you don't have a lot of money on and don't use enough to worry about if you are that concerned. You won't be disappointed, considering all of the music you'll get. Hope this helps!

A pal of mine told me about GOMUSIC.RU, a russian music site that sells mp3s really cheap.
Im sure its not completely legal, because its Russia, but how safe is it? I did a quick google search I havetn read any horror stories about credit cards being stolen and such. I imagine its just as safe/dangerous as any other site, but wanted to check here first because you guys know everything:)
M!

gcf1965
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I have been a member of this site for about 5 years and have never had a problem. I was skeptical at first, but I deposited funds via credit card and the funds have carried over in my account for about the past 4 years. I don't use the site often, but would give it a hearty 2 thumbs up. Yeah, I know it is probably not the most legal site on the web, but it works for me the past few years.

PhilipClark
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I've used mp3sale.ru for years with no problems but recently have fallen in love with LaLa.com

Frozen Sooner
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, it's totally amazing that ON THE SAME DAY two people would choose to register simply to extol the virtues of a Russian credit card theft, er, Russian illegal download site.

Man, what are the odds?

CapnChaos
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I know this Russian site where you can get songs for two cents apiece. The only thing is, all the songs are in Russian.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/john7663/architecture/office_217_04.jpg

R0cketFr0g
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I have had zero problems using this. if you are fearfull, ask your bank to give you a one-time use debit card number.

I have used it too. Zero problems.