PDA

View Full Version : Fables?

ClintP
09-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I have heard a lot of hype on it. Can you guys sell me on it? I am looking at the current previews and I noticed the trades are only $9.99. So, what's it all about?

thatguylobo
09-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Fables is absolutely awesome, and you should check it out. But the first trade is one of the weaker arcs. Make sure to stick around for Animal Farm, which is much better.

ultimate samwise gamgee
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Fables is a great book. I have loved it from the first arc (which some claim is "weak"). They take all the Fables you know and love (Big Bad Wolf, Snow White, Jack of the Tales, Prince Charming, etc.) and have them as refugees in our world after being forced out of their Homelands by the "Adversary." It is one of the best books out there IMO.

Dood Lee
09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I think only the first trade is $9.99. But the series is definitely worth reading. See if your local library has it.

Hate_Prime
09-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Once it gets going, it's beyond brilliant.

Matt Hazard
09-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I started on it a little late, but i recently just caught up to the whole story.
As everyone has already said, it is awesome. It takes everything you grew up with from your childhood, puts a unique twist on it, and makes it a good read for any age.
Fairy tale characters never really had that much of a personality before, but this series gives them all the perfect attitude and insight that its hard not to like.
I got my non-comic reading buddy addicted to comics based solely on Fables, and Y the last man, mostly fables though

changingshades
09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I love it and have to go pick up 4 back issues because I'm stupid and dropped it when I moved

emeraldsundae
09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I love it.

I'm picking up the trades. Started with Animal Farm, which is soo good.

Humphrey_Lee
09-08-2006, 09:37 PM
It's one of the five best books I buy right now, and I'm very picky with books I'd rate that high.

Simply put, the cast of characters are always amazing and the book has such a great light-heartedness to it, but with a very apparent and sometimes brutal darkside to it. And the sheer depth of the story unfolding is quite impressive. I'd say you really need to give it three trades though to make an honest judgement on it.

Taxman
09-08-2006, 09:42 PM
So, what's it all about?It's kinda like a cross between Shrek and Harry Potter, but not really.

VKValentine
09-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Stick around for the second arc, no matter what! I was hooked after the first arc, but Animal Farm is where the books starts and doesn't let up. Ever.

Master Jack Rabbitt
09-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Here, I'll give you the response I gave when someone else asked this awhile ago.
Well, you know all those fairy tale characters (mainly from the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales, and all others that have become public domain)? It's about them living in the modern world. The ones we focus on live in Fabletown (a small part of New York) and at the Animal Farm in upstate New York (for those that can't pass as human). The characters flocked to our world from the Homelands a few hundred years ago to escape the Adversary, a bad dude who attempted/is attempting to conquer the entire Homelands.

Main characters that we see often are Big Bad Wolf, Snow White, Little Boy Blue, Pinnochio, Beauty and Beast, old King Cole, Rose Red, Jack the Giant Killer.

ClintP
09-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Interesting. I may check out the first two trades. Do they arc tie in together or can you get them out of order and be ok?

Also, this sounds kinda like a smaller press comic called Grimm Fairy Tails by Zenescope Enterainment. Each issue for those comics are stand alone issues. They are also worth checking out. I found out about them from Christian Beranek. Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://www.zenescope.com/home.htm

I will order me a Fables tpb now and see what is going on there.

Howlett
09-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Interesting. I may check out the first two trades. Do they arc tie in together or can you get them out of order and be ok?

Also, this sounds kinda like a smaller press comic called Grimm Fairy Tails by Zenescope Enterainment. Each issue for those comics are stand alone issues. They are also worth checking out. I found out about them from Christian Beranek. Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://www.zenescope.com/home.htm

I will order me a Fables tpb now and see what is going on there.
You really need to read them in order. And as everyone here has said, it's a brilliant book so you should enjoy it. So far, out of 52 issues, there are only two that didn't impress me and those were recent issues (46 & 47 I think).

I hope you like it man, it's a great read.

Sy-Klone
09-09-2006, 05:48 AM
It's a great series.

I loved the old fairy tales as a kid. This book takes those fables and fairy tales and turns them on their head with a mature twist. It's a lot of fun, it's smart, it's witty, and the art is beautiful.

Buy it. Definitely. :)

THWIP!
09-09-2006, 06:06 AM
I love it but I'm like over a year and a half behind on it. That makes me sad because it's a brilliant book. But I'm glad I picked up Jack of Fables.