PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Byrne's Last Galactus Story finished?

nihilance
09-08-2006, 04:50 AM
I checked his FAQ at Byrne Robotics...but it only said what happened in the issues that didn't see print, not why they did get published. Is there any art online from the unpublished issue? I would really like to see what a certain character looked like in the end.

Bill?
09-08-2006, 05:29 AM
I think Epic just stopped publishing.

TIP
09-08-2006, 05:31 AM

Not at that point.

There was some sort of editorial decision about the tale...but my Geezerness is getting in the way of clear recollection of the events.

EDIT:

Yep...my Geezerness, indeed. It was the folding of EPIC MAG that halted the tale. That and the fact JB had Nova remaining G's herald for millions of years...

Bill?
09-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Not at that point.

There was some sort of editorial decision about the tale...but my Geezerness is getting in the way of clear recollection of the events.

I think editors may have been changing or something.
heres something on in anyways-

THE LAST GALACTUS STORY

MDT: The Epic Magazine folded due to many reasons, but one of its legacies it left dangling was the end of a story that never came: The Last Galactus Story. In a Marvel Age interview in 1988, you talked about the lingering nature of that story and about possibly publishing it at a later date. Then I remember reading about 6 years ago about how, because of continuity problems (Nova dead, Galactus' history changed) in the current Marvel universe, that that story would never see an end published to it. Essentially making it like the joke without a punchline in Breakfast Club. Can you talk a little about how that story eventually fell into what seems to be permanent limbo? Has there been any talk of reviving it in the last five years? What would you like to see happen to it?

JB: "The Last Galactus Story" is pretty much dead, at this point. Too much has happened, since, as you note. Mostly, alas, writers playing off the cliché I was trying to undo - that Galactus always loses his Heralds for one reason or another. I thought it was kinda neat to show that Nova was still his Herald, billions of years in the future.

For the edification of your readers, though, this is how "The Last Galactus Story" ends"

Galactus battles the Watcher who showed up at the end of the last published chapter. This turns out to be the same Watcher who witnessed the "birth" of Galactus - yes, that was not Uatu - and who has been driven insane by his guilt over all the deaths that have happened because, as he sees it, he did not snuff out the nacent Galactus when he had the chance.

As the two battle, over millennia, the universe basically dies around them. The stars burn out. No "Big Crunch" of everything collapsing back onto itself to be born again. Entropy wins over all. As the universe verges on flickering out of existence, Galactus draws into himself the last shreds of energy, giving him just enough of an edge to defeat the rogue Watcher. But then Galactus and Nova are alone in an empty, endless void. The universe as we know it is gone.

Galactus finally understands what it's all about. What he's been doing all these billions of years. He cracks the seals on his armor, and all the energy he has absorbed spews out of him. He becomes, effectively, the Big Band of the next universe. Nova survives - and herself becomes the "Galactus" of that universe, the cycle beginning once again.

the rest of the interview from about 6 years ago-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=190

nihilance
09-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Not to contradict you TIP but I just found an interview from way back on CBR where Byrne states that it basically had to do with Epic folding before it was published. He planned to publish it later at some point, but too many things have changed in the MU since then (Nova dying, Galactus's history being changed) so apparently it'll stay on the shelf.

For those who don't know...

At the virtual End of the Universe, Galactus is confronted by a Watcher. This Watcher turns out to be the same one who witnessed the "birth" of Galactus in our universe. The Watcher (not Uatu) was eventually driven mad by the accumulated guilt he feels for the acts of Galactus. He has been trying to move galaxies to somewhere Galactus cannot find them, but has been destroying them in the process. Galactus and the Watcher battle -- a huge cosmic confrontation that stretches over centuries, as the universe falls into near total entropy. Finally, to defeat the Watcher, Galactus sucks all the remaining energy out of the Universe. Nothing is left but Galactus and his loyal herald, Nova. Realizing at last what his purpose is, Galactus cracks the seal on his suit, starts to remove his helmet, and in that instant all the energy he has absorbed explodes out of him. He becomes the "big bang" of the next universe, and when the smoke clears, we see Nova has been reborn, as that universe's Galactus.

Incidentally, back when I was first approached about Marvel's "The End" project, I was asked to think about "last issues" for the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. One of the things that occured to me was using this as a way to finally finish the Last Galactus Story. Goes like this:

One day, out of a clear blue sky, literally, Nova falls into the heart of Manahattan. The FF go to investigate. They find her, and after a bit of trouble deciphering what she is saying they realize she has come from billions of years in the future. Reed's "universal translator" was having problems with her speech because she was speaking English, but English distorted by billions of years. Anyway, she finally tells them what's going on with Galactus and the rogue Watcher, and the FF race off to use their captured version of Doctor Doom's time machine to speed to the future and try to help Galactus. (Reed, you see, being Reed, has already figured out what Galactus' purpose is in the scheme of things.)

Uh oh! Using Doom's time machine alerts the good Doctor to what they are up to, and he goes after them. Pretty quickly he figures out what is going on, and realizes this is a perfect opportunity to steal the power of Galactus for himself. The universe may die in the meanwhile? What cares he?

So, of course, the FF end up battling Doom, who is doing all kinds of things to try to get Galactus' power, while Galactus is busy himself dealing with the rogue Watcher. Finally the good guys -- which includes Galactus in this case -- win, But Ben and Nova both die heroically in the process. Galactus wonders what it was all about, what it was all for. Reed tells him. Galactus understands. The FF (what's left of them) start to head back to their time machine with Doom as their prisoner. Galactus calls after them. "Leave him!" Moment of tension, but Reed agrees. The FF return to the present, and just as they wink out they see Galactus open the seals on his armor and begin to release all his stored energy.

The three are back on Earth, in the present. They mourn Ben, but they resolve to continue to fight the good fight, in his honor. The Fantastic Four are no more, but the Three shall fight on! Sue wonders what Galactus wanted Doom for.

Cut to somewhere, somewhen else. Energies roil. A Universe is aborning, and at its heart we see a great cosmic "egg" akin to the one that once gave birth to Galactus. It opens, and Galactus rises from its midst -- but when he turns to us, we see he now has the face/mask of Doctor Doom. Like a certain other human we all know, Doom is about to learn that "with great power must come great responsibility'.

I would love to see art of both the Nova/Galactus and Doom/Galactus amalgams.

TIP
09-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Not to contradict you TIP but I just found an interview from way back on CBR where Byrne states that it basically had to do with Epic folding before it was published. He planned to publish it later at some point, but too many things have changed in the MU since then (Nova dying, Galactus's history being changed) so apparently it'll stay on the shelf.

It's all good, dude. I rooted around and refreshed my shaky memory on it and edit'd my post.

T
:D

Artie Pink
09-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Awesome, Bill. I remembered that article from either Overstreet's Fan, or Hero Magazine, but couldn't find it. You tha man!

Jef UK
09-08-2006, 05:54 AM

Hell, Doom/Galactus is worthy of a Byrne commission! Anybody know how much he charges?

nihilance
09-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Hell, Doom/Galactus is worthy of a Byrne commission! Anybody know how much he charges?
I agree...but I'm sure it's out of my price range.

Doug
09-08-2006, 06:12 AM

I like this idea much better than the way it was originally supposed to end.

I think Byrne still has a few good stories left in him.