PDA

View Full Version : PS3 shipment numbers will "barely qualify as mass market"

DrMachine
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3755&Itemid=2

As SCEA's new publicity supremo settles down to work today, he faces a very different set of challenges to those of his predecessors.

Image In years gone by Sony met bad news much as one might meet a zombie on an afternoon stroll– with horror, outrage and incredulity. Now the company walks hand in hand with bad news; a constant companion on the long, dark road to PS3's launch.

Today's news of a European delay for PS3 might have seemed like a blessing to some in the U.S. freeing up much needed stock for the launch over here. It might even have seemed like Sony had finally swallowed its pride and agreed that a worldwide launch is a bad idea. These would have been good things.

But the delay is symptomatic of a much bigger problem, indicated by Ken Kutaragi in Tokyo yesterday. Shortages of PS3 are going to be horrendous. We are not talking here, about long lines outside retail outlets, but numbers that barely qualify as mass market. Publishers everywhere are today downgrading their sales forecasts once again in anticipation of a Holiday season in which PS3 is barely a factor.

Valuable product

Sony has burdened its most valuable product with the responsibility of delivering the prize of the next DVD generation into the company's grasp, and it's an irony lost on absolutely no-one, that it is Blu-ray technology that's to blame for yet another delay, and yet more shortages.

Sony is still talking about that 6 million figure by the end of March, but if Next Generation were a publisher of videogames, we wouldn't be betting our future on this milestone, any more than we'd have bet on a successful simultaneous worldwide launch, or 4 million units shipped by Christmas.

We have long argued that PlayStation 3 is going to be a success, albeit not one that repeats the market-share of previous PlayStation iterations. And we stand by that. But Sony's PlayStation operation is starting to take on the adjective 'troubled'; always a tough one to shake off, even for a company with the spinning pedigree of Sony.

To Tokyo

Sony knows it needs a big hit in order to place the PlayStation brand back at the front of everyone's affections. Tokyo Game Show is going to be a must-win battle for the company as it attempts to turn around a wretched 12 months.

Shortages at launch are bad news; but we've gotten through them before, most recently with the botched arrival of Xbox 360 (now starting to look like a triumph in planning). The most pressing concern for the industry must be the long-term health of the PlayStation brand, which cannot be demonstrated by vaguely suspicious-sounding promises, but by actually stunning product presentations. It's time for Sony to get back to the business of delivering good news.

Fake Pat
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
between all these reported problems and the retarded price point, nintendo is poised to regain the number one spot in the console market.

goddamit, the wii is gonna kick so much ass.

Marcdachamp
09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
between all these reported problems and the retarded price point, nintendo is poised to regain the number one spot in the console market.

goddamit, the wii is gonna kick so much ass.
So true. As long as Nintendo doesn't fuck shit up too badly, Sony's in deep.

Joe Henderson
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Did anyone not see this coming? This is going to go down as one of the worst launches ever, and give Microsoft and Nintendo the perfect window to reassert themselves. I don't think this will topple PS3, but it's going to make what was once an easy victory an uphill battle. And if I were a 3rd party developer, I'd be PISSED at this shortage and the money it'd take away from me.

JABSEN
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM

goddamit, the wii is gonna kick so much ass.Come on, I love Nintendo too. But the number one slot?

Kirblar
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Nintendo #1 is NOT out of the realm of possibility. PS3 is in huge trouble right now, and with the massive price points on it and the 360, if Nintendo can get their software together we might see a very different market in a year.

Joe Henderson
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Come on, I love Nintendo too. But the number one slot?

There's a theory out there that people are buying EITHER a PS3 or X-Box, but many of them are ALSO buying a Nintendo. With that theory, Nintendo could easily take #1.

I don't think they will, but it's an interesting theory.

Smokinblues
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Come on, I love Nintendo too. But the number one slot?

realistically nintendo has a chance to gain significant market share. but there's no real reason to believe they'll take the top spot. Microsoft is in at least as good position if not better to take advantage of Sony's problems. It's just not reasonable to expect them to take the number one spot.

JABSEN
09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
realistically nintendo has a chance to gain significant market share. but there's no real reason to believe they'll take the top spot. Microsoft is in at least as good position if not better to take advantage of Sony's problems. It's just not reasonable to expect them to take the number one spot.Yeah, that's more what I'm thinking.

Albert
09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
This is probably a blessing in disguise. I know lots of people that got a PS2 at launch and had problems with it, I got mine six months after it came out and haven't had a problem in 5 and a half years.

Smokinblues
09-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Nintendo #1 is NOT out of the realm of possibility. PS3 is in huge trouble right now, and with the massive price points on it and the 360, if Nintendo can get their software together we might see a very different market in a year.

the ps3 will make the 360 look like a bargain, especially if the rumored 360 price drops happen. And with more and more people buying HDTVs, and expecting online play Nintendo is looking just as shortsighted as Sony in some ways. It's not like there's some huge unmet demand for nintendo games.

DrMachine
09-06-2006, 02:22 PM
This is probably a blessing in disguise. I know lots of people that got a PS2 at launch and had problems with it, I got mine six months after it came out and haven't had a problem in 5 and a half years.

ditto for me

but if the numbers of PS3 are less, then the time it takes them to find problems and correct them will be longer

Smokinblues
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
ditto for me

but if the numbers of PS3 are less, then the time it takes them to find problems and correct them will be longer

not to mention people will be paying outrageous prices even if they get it for retail. and if the decide to go the cheaper route, they can't upgrade later. Sony is fucking up all over the place.

Jim.
09-06-2006, 02:47 PM
bwah....hahahahahahah...hahaha..