PDA

View Full Version : myspace dating

Josh!
09-06-2006, 01:12 PM
So I'm single as of a month now, and while I've had some success out and about, my friend is challenging me to "maximize all opportunities" and get online. I've been generally adverse to internet dating in the past, it just seems really unnatural and slightly stalker-ish. Plus, if I'm going to pay to try and date, I'd rather be paying for beer than to look at some girl's profile.

This weekend we compromised on giving myspace.com a shot (it's free). He made me promise to make a good-faith effort to contact a few girls, so I will. I guess I have nothing to lose, right?

Anyone here try that? Are there any "dos" or "don'ts"? I imagine that any good looking girl who posts a profile saying they're "single" and interested in "dating" gets multiple queries a day (Then again, any good looking girl in a bar gets hit on multiple times a night, too). I know I need to be interesting and different, no problem. But what am I missing? Should I just send a message, or a message and a friend request?

Ideas?

Craig C
09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
So I'm single as of a month now, and while I've had some success out and about, my friend is challenging me to "maximize all opportunities" and get online. I've been generally adverse to internet dating in the past, it just seems really unnatural and slightly stalker-ish. Plus, if I'm going to pay to try and date, I'd rather be paying for beer than to look at some girl's profile.

This weekend we compromised on giving myspace.com a shot (it's free). He made me promise to make a good-faith effort to contact a few girls, so I will. I guess I have nothing to lose, right?

Anyone here try that? Are there any "dos" or "don'ts"? I imagine that any good looking girl who posts a profile saying they're "single" and interested in "dating" gets multiple queries a day (Then again, any good looking girl in a bar gets hit on multiple times a night, too). I know I need to be interesting and different, no problem. But what am I missing? Should I just send a message, or a message and a friend request?

Ideas?

And you agreed to this why?

RegularJoe
09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
i've had a fair amount of luck meeting friends and such there. but there's no tried-and-true approach. just like in a bar you say "X" to one girl and she'll swoon and say it to another she'll slap you, you just have to do your best.

read the profiles, see if there's anything that you can connect with. ask questions. that kind of stuff.

Jerome Gibbons
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
And you agreed to this why?
Cuz he was made to promise!!!!!!

Jef UK
09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
My friends date off of MySpace all the time. Nothing that's lasted too long, but hey. If someone lists themselves as single and looking to date, chat them up a bit and then send them a nice message about meeting for a drink.

Josh!
09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
because he's my friend. I honestly don't expect anything to come of this, but if I'm going to do it, I may as well do it.

Josh!
09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
and shit, who the hell knows, might get some funny stories. should I message or message/friend?

Smokinblues
09-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I would start by looking up old friends and reconnecting with people you already know, and then maybe using them as icebreakers for people on their friend lists.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
09-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Well... I'm not sure why to be honest.
DC's demographics:
Males: 269,366 (47.1%), Females: 302,693 (52.9%)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Washington-District-of-Columbia.html

Josh!
09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
I know, I'm having no problem out and meeting people. None.

Here's the other part, to get slightly more personal: My friend is about to get married, and I think his fiancee is worrying about his single friends. Most of her friends are already married. None of his close friends are. (Most of us are single). I think a lot of this is coming from her, who doesn't want, in a year, him to be hanging out with guys who are still single and want to go out, etc. I'm also the best man at the wedding, and I think that kind of worries her, too, given my reputation (we're talking about a long weekend in Amsterdam for the bachelor party, but neither of them know that).

Magnum V.I.
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM

Ideas?

Taki Soma
09-06-2006, 01:45 PM
you've been single for a month? dude, forget dating, enjoy your freedom!

Magnum V.I.
09-06-2006, 01:46 PM
you've been single for a month? dude, forget dating, enjoy your freedom!

I concur. Except I was single for 20 years and Now Im married for the rest :D

Taki Soma
09-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I concur. Except I was single for 20 years and Now Im married for the rest :D
hey I see nothing wrong with that, I think that's awesome.

Josh!
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Oh, I am. Make no doubt about that!

The Roman Candle
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Well... I'm not sure why to be honest.
DC's demographics:
Males: 269,366 (47.1%), Females: 302,693 (52.9%)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Washington-District-of-Columbia.html

It makes more sense if you look closer at the data.

DC's Female demographics:
Attractive: 93, Acceptable: 600, Uggos:300,000

Blandy vs Terrorism
09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Yahoo worked for me. Well, for a while...

The Roman Candle
09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Just try this poem:

roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

If she laughs, you're in.

Blandy vs Terrorism
09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
It makes more sense if you look closer at the data.

DC's Female demographics:
Attractive: 93, Acceptable: 600, Uggos:300,000
That still leaves another 2,000.

Magnum V.I.
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Just try this poem:

roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

Tee Hee.

Jerome Gibbons
09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Just try this poem:

roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

You are awesome.

The Roman Candle
09-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Glen Ellyn, IL. Male Demographics:

Good at math: ?, Not good at math: Me.

Brian Defferding
09-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Just try this poem:

roses are #FF0000
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

I like the cut of your jib.

TIP
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Glen Ellyn, IL. Male Demographics:

Good at math: ?, Not good at math: Me.

You need one of those Arty AAlgar abaci.

T

xanderharris
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
my friend met his girlfriend on there and they are perfect for one another and have been dating almost 2 years now. thats pretty much the only true love on myspace story ive ever heard.

Brian Defferding
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I've had a couple MySpace hookups. Just do your thing. Don't go in MySpace with a dating agenda. Find girls that have the same interest as you and start a little back-and-forth emailing, and if things go well ask them for coffee, or bowling, or to see a show with you - then let nature run its course.

ClintP
09-06-2006, 02:44 PM
You could date a book or a new album. I think Weird Al's new album is availible!

ClintP
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
my friend met his girlfriend on there and they are perfect for one another and have been dating almost 2 years now. thats pretty much the only true love on myspace story ive ever heard.
A good friend of mine met his gf on there. I gave him a lot of shit until he met her. They have been dating since May. She is pretty cool. so i guess it can happen.....

Humphrey_Lee
09-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Bull-dykes.

... I'm allowed to say that here right?

The Roman Candle
09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
In any case, it's gotta be safer than Craigslist. At least myspace has pictures.

mike black
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I've met a ton of girls on MySpace. It's just like in the real world - you go with confidence and don't let on that it'll embaress the hell out of you if you get shot down. Hell, it's easier than in real life because they don't actually see you when it happens.

Also, don't go into saying that you want to get togather right off the bat. Every girl on myspace says that they are only searching for friends (and their profiles will say that they are married, gay, in a relationship, etc.) Don't give up. 80% of the time they are full of shit, and just don't want random guys hitting on them.

Actually read their profiles. A good ice breaker is asking them about something in it. It shows that your paying attention. You also have the added help of an entire cheat sheet to know what you want about a girl before you try to date her. I don't see how dating on MySpace is hard at all.

Blandy vs Terrorism
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
In any case, it's gotta be safer than Craigslist. At least myspace has pictures.
There was a picture in the craigslist ad that got linked in the Christian Buttfucking thread.

Blandy vs Terrorism
09-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Bull-dykes.

... I'm allowed to say that here right?
These days, who knows....

mike black
09-06-2006, 05:45 PM
These days, who knows....

http://www.flabba.de/cdinfos/zing/zing.gif