PDA

View Full Version : Thundercats! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Foolish Mortal
08-23-2006, 07:12 AM
LINK:Thundercats: Reimagined (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24232)

WB animation is remaking the Thundercats as an animated TV series.

The animation style is whimsical, Americanized-anime, along the lines of Teen Titans.

The setting is modern-day Earth, in a major city. (possibly LA)

The Thundercats are all teenagers.

Their leader is Snarf (!) who is now a mystic with a "third" eye.

Each of the Thundercats has a weapon with an "Eye of Thunderra" and transformative powers (not just Lion-O)

When they aren't fighting evil, the Thundercats play together as a rock band. That's not a typo, or a joke. They are rockin' cats in their present form.

Mum-Ra now has wings.

I'm predicting a 5% chance it could be good, and a 95% chance of a total fuck-up.

Generic Poster
The original series was total garbage too.

mattbrand
Sounds like a horrible idea.

SteveZegers
08-23-2006, 07:15 AM
[indent]LINK:Thundercats: Reimagined (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24232)

The other stuff I could tolerate, but...

Scotty
08-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Seriously is this what kids are into these days?

sto110
08-23-2006, 07:16 AM

you are so wrong

Lab-Rat
08-23-2006, 07:16 AM
um...what?

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 07:19 AM
you are so wrong

Am not!

sto110
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Am not!

Thundercats! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ATTACK!!!!

thunder thunder thunder cats!!!!

HeroForHire
08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Well in order to be fair it makes sense for the WB to do this.

Its not a new idea to take something that captured the imaginations of the children in their era and re-invent it so that their children can also have a "similar" experience.

In my own personal opinion I think (Like the above stated) that this has a very little chance of being sucessfull...I would rather see the original Thudercats be played on Adult Swim...instead of the shite like pee wee and saved by the bell...and a slew of other shit on that station that needs to be ripped off....but thats a rant for another thread.

I'm going to go stare a picture of my favorite thunderpussy and wish for the best.

Gregory
08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
This sounds like fun and harkens back to the Hanna-Barbera days when cartoon casts played in a band (teen Pebbles and BamBam, Jabberjaws, Josie and the Pussycats).

Race
08-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Semi-ironic, because the past week or so I've been toying around with my own spin on the Thundercat characters - just to give me something to do when I'm bored at work.

Haven't really settled on final designs yet. And people will probably hate them when I'm done - But still, they won't be as bad as this sounds.

mike black
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Its not a new idea to take something that captured the imaginations of the children in their era and re-invent it so that their children can also have a "similar" experience.

In my own personal opinion I think (Like the above stated) that this has a very little chance of being sucessfull...I would rather see the original Thudercats be played on Adult Swim...instead of the shite like pee wee and saved by the bell...and a slew of other shit on that station that needs to be ripped off....but thats a rant for another thread.

I'm going to go stare a picture of my favorite thunderpussy and wish for the best.

Cartoon Network played Thundercats to death as the backbone (along with Sailor Moon,) of the original Toonami line-up. They literally played the show every day except for sunday for some three years.

That being said, Mumm-Ra with wings isn't that outlandish or stupid.

hakubi
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Please no. Unless you think that we really need some hopped up psychic screaming SHNAAAARRRFFF!!!

Erica J Heflin
08-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Can it really be *that* difficult to come up with character names of humanoid cats? This crap just sounds so damned lazy.

The Human Target
08-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Finally, SNArf gettin som,e fucking r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

Smokinblues
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Finally, SNArf gettin som,e fucking r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

i'm not sure being a rock bands cult guru is respect

Thudpucker
08-23-2006, 07:51 AM
When they aren't fighting evil, the Thundercats play together as a rock band. That's not a typo, or a joke. They are rockin' cats in their present form.

Good Lord :shock:

I'm all for reimagining classics but this one is going to suck.

Thudpucker
08-23-2006, 07:54 AM
That being said, Mumm-Ra with wings isn't that outlandish or stupid.

Mumm-Ra with wings sounds fine, and I could even go for mystical leader Snarf. But I don't see how they are going to pull off Teen Thundercats on modernday Earth...in a Rock band *shudder*

Professor Oreo
This sounds totally weak. However I much preferred the Silver Hawks to the Thunder Cats anyway...

The Human Target
i'm not sure being a rock bands cult guru is respect

It is from where I'm sitting.

And come on people, it was fucking THUDERCATS! It was a shit show made so little kids would buy all the toy tie-ins.

Let's try and not act like someone is remaking Citizen Kane here.

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 07:56 AM
And come on people, it was fucking THUDERCATS! It was a shit show made so little kids would buy all the toy tie-ins.

THANK YOU!

Gregory
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM

That's a GREAT idea! I'll get to work.

Thudpucker
08-23-2006, 08:00 AM
THANK YOU!

:no: no thank you.

Saying that is one of the lamest copouts there is. Just becuase it's a kids cartoon does not mean they can't do it well. Beast Wars was made so that little kids would buy the toys too, and guess what? It was a quality cartoon.

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 08:02 AM
That's a GREAT idea! I'll get to work.

Can I work with you on it? Here's my idea:

The Rosebud sleigh is actually imbued with nanotech that allows Kane to change into various vehicles. The snowglobe he drops at the beginning of the movie also has the same nanotech, so when he drops and breaks it at the beginning of the flick, the nanites get out and de-age him into a sassy teenager. Kane then retrieves the sled and uses its powers to fight the schemes of his arch-enemy, Doctor Diabolic!

What do you think?

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 08:03 AM
:no: no thank you.

Saying that is one of the lamest copouts there is. Just becuase it's a kids cartoon does not mean they can't do it well. Beast Wars was made so that little kids would buy the toys too, and guess what? It was a quality cartoon.

True. Thundercats was just a crappy cartoon.

The Human Target
08-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Can I work with you on it? Here's my idea:

The Rosebud sleigh is actually imbued with nanotech that allows Kane to change into various vehicles. The snowglobe he drops at the beginning of the movie also has the same nanotech, so when he drops and breaks it at the beginning of the flick, the nanites get out and de-age him into a sassy teenager. Kane then retrieves the sled and uses its powers to fight the schemes of his arch-enemy, Doctor Diabolic!

What do you think?

I do love nanotech. :D

Thudpucker
08-23-2006, 08:06 AM
True. Thundercats was just a crappy cartoon.

It was.

Battlestar Galactica was a crappy TV show too. I'm glad the Producers of the new BSG don't get input from guys like The Human Target.

Gregory
08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
What do you think?

I was thinking more of making Kane even younger when he marries and takes over the paper. Like 15. Mix Doogie Houser with West Wing and Lou Grant. And he still has to go to high school so we get the Veronica Mars crowd. He solves crimes and publishes the reports in his paper, syndicated across the world.

Citizen Kevin, with his faithful dog Rosebud. It's CW-licious!

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I was thinking more of making Kane even younger when he marries and takes over the paper. Like 15. Mix Doogie Houser with West Wing and Lou Grant. And he still has to go to high school so we get the Veronica Mars crowd. He solves crimes and publishes the reports in his paper, syndicated across the world.

Citizen Kevin, with his faithful dog Rosebud. It's CW-licious!

Ah - you were thinking a TV show remake. I was going for a feature, with losts of CGI special effects, maybe spinning into a cartoon. Maybe we can still make this work. The nanotech still needs to be in there. And some sort of robot. Also, he probably needs a sassy black friend to say "daaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnn" all the time.

The Human Target
08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
It was.

Battlestar Galactica was a crappy TV show too. I'm glad the Producers of the new BSG don't get input from guys like The Human Target.

WHa? The old BSG was a horrible crap tv show, and I'm glad they remade it into something so kickass.

Thundercats was a horrid shit cartoon, and I hope this new one is cool.

Its more than likely gonna be ass, but I'm not gonna pretend that just because I watched Thundercats as a wee tot that it was great or will be tinted by a remake.

Thudpucker
08-23-2006, 08:22 AM
WHa? The old BSG was a horrible crap tv show, and I'm glad they remade it into something so kickass.

Thundercats was a horrid shit cartoon, and I hope this new one is cool.

Its more than likely gonna be ass, but I'm not gonna pretend that just because I watched Thundercats as a wee tot that it was great or will be tinted by a remake.

It sounded like you were saying that fans should expect average or sucky because that was what the original was. And that they have no basis for disappointment if it turns out that way.

What else did you mean when you said "Let's try and not act like someone is remaking Citizen Kane here"?

DrMachine
08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
other than the rockband I don't think it sounds that bad

Lab-Rat
08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
So...they took the names of the Thundercats...and plan to make a cartoon that sounds like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meets Josie and the Pussycats.

great.

Gavin
08-23-2006, 08:28 AM
A little part of me just died.

The Human Target
08-23-2006, 08:43 AM
It sounded like you were saying that fans should expect average or sucky because that was what the original was. And that they have no basis for disappointment if it turns out that way.

What else did you mean when you said "Let's try and not act like someone is remaking Citizen Kane here"?

I meant that I could somewhat understand people getting upset over something generally hailed as amazing and timeless (like CK) being remade, but not an old cartoon about cat people.

Jef UK
08-23-2006, 09:16 AM

There is not a number to represent how many times better Pee-Wee's Playhouse is than the old Thundercats cartoon.

YouStayClassy
08-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Heh.... a rock band.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM

... I mean, I don't want to judge it before I've seen it...

... I mean, some of that stuff sounds a little out there, but it may work...

... Snarf's the leader?

Fucking Hell...

SteveZegers
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM

... I mean, I don't want to judge it before I've seen it...

... I mean, some of that stuff sounds a little out there, but it may work...

... Snarf's the leader?

Fucking Hell...
At least it isn't Snarfer. (Or one of those cyborg teddy-bears)

TheKraken
08-23-2006, 09:47 AM
What's with all the Thundercats hate? It's the only cartoon made when I was a kid that's even remotely watchable as an adult. When Cartoon Network started showing it again in the late 90s, I was genuinely surprised at how decent it is. It's got a nicely fleshed-out world with a pretty huge supporting cast, and unlike all cartoons ever, every episode doesn't have the same plot. They didn't fight the same bad guy every single episode... some episodes didn't even have bad guys. The characters actually learned & grew. The voice acting was pretty shitty, but compared to every other cartoon of the era (Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, Silverhawks, etc), Thundercats is classic lit... :lol:

YouStayClassy
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
What's with all the Thundercats hate? It's the only cartoon made when I was a kid that's even remotely watchable as an adult. When Cartoon Network started showing it again in the late 90s, I was genuinely surprised at how decent it is. It's got a nicely fleshed-out world with a pretty huge supporting cast, and unlike all cartoons ever, every episode doesn't have the same plot. They didn't fight the same bad guy every single episode... some episodes didn't even have bad guys. The characters actually learned & grew. The voice acting was pretty shitty, but compared to every other cartoon of the era (Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, Silverhawks, etc), Thundercats is classic lit... :lol:

HELL and YES (except for Transformers, those still hold up greatly for me).

Gregory
08-23-2006, 09:52 AM
The voice acting was pretty shitty, but compared to every other cartoon of the era (Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, Silverhawks, etc), Thundercats is classic lit... :lol:

Man, that negative GI Joe comparison is gonna make me surly all day.

Foolish Mortal
08-23-2006, 09:55 AM
It is from where I'm sitting.

The difference is the original Thundercats had lots of interesting concepts, and great character design. But the stories themselves were lackluster and unimaginative.

The new show's concepts sound absolutely dreadful and worse, they're going to make it with that godawful pseudo-anime animation. The whole thing sounds suckass right out of the box.

They don't need to "reimagine" the show. They just need to use the original concepts and have better writing.

The recent Masters of the Universe series was an example of taking the original concepts but it had better writing.

Foolish Mortal
08-23-2006, 09:59 AM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1/cheetara02nm4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9098/cheetara01ml9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
And no way will the new Cheetara look this HOT!

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2359/panthro4bvy5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
And no way will the new Panthro look this baddass!

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6167/tygra02rm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
And no way will the new Tygra look this gay!

TheKraken
08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Man, that negative GI Joe comparison is gonna make me surly all day.

:D GI Joe was fun (mostly funny) and all, but it was "Cobra somehow has a new doomsday device EVEN SILLIER than the one they had yesterday and we have to stop them the only way we know how: by throwing our hi-tech guns on the ground and punching people out!"

TheKraken
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

You know, you're always on the right side. This has become more and more obvious in recent months. :D

GelfXIII
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

agreed

moonspider
08-23-2006, 10:15 AM
eh whatever

Gregory
08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
:D GI Joe was fun (mostly funny) and all, but it was "Cobra somehow has a new doomsday device EVEN SILLIER than the one they had yesterday and we have to stop them the only way we know how: by throwing our hi-tech guns on the ground and punching people out!"

The episode where they build a virtual world for Shipwreck was epic at the time. Cobra convinced him he married his genetically designed mermaid girlfriend and lived a peaceful life among his fellow retired Joes, all to get an explosive formula imbedded subconciously in his head. That ws some hard scifi for the younger set.

I didn't dig the multi-part season starters (weather weapon, Serpentor, etc.) but some of those single shows are alright. And then there's the one where Cobra hides out at a dude ranch.

Still, The Viper (I am the viper. I haf come to vipe your vindows.) is a fantastic action-comedy episode.

Dreg
08-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Get the creative team get stoned while reading Josie and the Pussycats or something?

Howlett
08-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Listen to this man. He knows what he says.

As for this? I think...... I honestly don't know WHAT to think :nonono2:

YouStayClassy
08-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Get the creative team get stoned while reading Josie and the Pussycats or something?
I tried that.... my Josie and the Pussycats went an entirely different (and yet predicatable) angle.

Generic Poster
08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I tried that.... my Josie and the Pussycats went an entirely different (and yet predicatable) angle.

Heh. I've always heard the live-action Josie and the Pussycats was actually pretty good, but I've not yet bothered to check it out.

Dreg
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Yeah, Melodie just isn't butch material.

YouStayClassy
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Heh. I've always heard the live-action Josie and the Pussycats was actually pretty good, but I've not yet bothered to check it out.
I might lose a lot of respect for this, but that movie is freaking SWEET! It is so funny, and has so many great inside jokes.... I can't get enough of it.

Plus, y'know, Rachel Leigh Cook....*ahem*

Dreg
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I might lose a lot of respect for this, but that movie is freaking SWEET! It is so funny, and has so many great inside jokes.... I can't get enough of it.

Plus, y'know, Rachel Leigh Cook....*ahem*

Bendis used to love this movie.

YouStayClassy
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Bendis used to love this movie.
Oh yeah.... he did prop it in the Powers letter cols didn't he?

Seriously though, this thing's like 5 bucks now on DVD. SO worth it, just make sure you don't get the edited version.

moonspider
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
were'nt all cartoons made in the 80's just tie-ins for buying toys anyway?

Knightspider
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Seriously is this what kids are into these days?

they into it because it all we give them

moonspider
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
they into it because it all we give them

shit?