PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on a Plane Official Review Thread

Evan the Shaggy
08-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Just got back from seeing this, and it was the most fun experience at the movies that I think I've ever had in my life. Go with friends, have a beer or two or three before seeing it, and just go in knowing that everyone in the theater will be clapping, hooting, hollering, etc.

Everyone pretty much knows the story already, but I will tell you that there is a lot of stuff in this movie that you really don't see that often in movies anymore: unrestraint. Nothing is held back and they go for the laugh or the scare in every single scene.

You will laugh, you will cry, you will love this movie.

10/10 for the experience alone.

And for the record:

People get bit everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

Captain Sensation
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
dont let me down shaggy! youve pretty much solidified that ill be seeing this movie tonight!!

Evan the Shaggy
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
dont let me down shaggy! youve pretty much solidified that ill be seeing this movie tonight!!

Do so. You won't regret it.

Humphrey_Lee
08-17-2006, 08:27 PM
It had snakes, and it had a plane. And it had boobs too. It was everything I wanted, AND MORE!!! :D

Kirblar
08-17-2006, 08:29 PM
This seems like a ton of fun. Hopefully work isn't too exhausting and I can go see it.

Evan the Shaggy
08-17-2006, 08:29 PM
It had snakes, and it had a plane. And it had boobs too. It was everything I wanted, AND MORE!!! :D

To say nothing of the snake who BITES THE BOOB!

Humphrey_Lee
08-17-2006, 08:31 PM
To say nothing of the snake who BITES THE BOOB!

God that was a lucky snake...

ImYrWoodbury
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I just got back and it was amazing!!! Everything I hoped for and more. I got as many laughs out of it as I did from Ricky Bobby. Just a fun movie to see.

Ryan Elliott
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
I hope I can find people to go see this with.

andrew french
08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
my friend and i are thinking about seeing it tonight...

or dennys.

Humphrey_Lee
08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I hope I can find people to go see this with.

Just see it anyways!!! I just saw it by myself and it was still a blast since there was a theater full of people. MOTHERFUCKIN SNAKES DAMMIT!!!!

...... god I'm so sad. :sad:

Ryan Elliott
08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
my friend and i are thinking about seeing it tonight...

or dennys.

Both.

Ryan Elliott
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Just see it anyways!!! I just saw it by myself and it was still a blast since there was a theater full of people. MOTHERFUCKIN SNAKES DAMMIT!!!!

...... god I'm so sad. :sad:

The people around here SUCK. I saw Batman Begins by myself with a theater full of people, and not one person cheered or clapped or did ANYTHING at ANY of the awesome Batman moments.

Memphis sucks. Hard.

ImYrWoodbury
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
The people around here SUCK. I saw Batman Begins by myself with a theater full of people, and not one person cheered or clapped or did ANYTHING at ANY of the awesome Batman moments.

Memphis sucks. Hard.

I know how you feel. My local theatre is terrible. Tonight they had all of these "Little Miss Sunshine" posters and other various paraphanelia, so I asked if they were getting the movie and they said "probably not". They didn't even have a midnight showing for X3, but they did have one for SOAP. It was a small but feisty crowd. Um...I think I got side tracked there. Well, I guess the main theme of this post is that you should just see the movie anyways.

JoeE
08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
If you've been onboard with the wholes Snakes on a Plane vibe for the last year or so I can't imagine you being disappointed. You know exactly why you want to see Snakes on a Plane, and the filmmakers know exactly what you want to see in it. In every conceivable way this movie lives up to the glory and absurdity of its title.

Of course, if you're not on that bandwagon or the idea of snakes on an airplane doesn't work for you, you'd best stay away. Or better yet, buy a ticket for some poor kid who can't afford to go to the movies. The plot is wafer-thin and full of holes and loose ends, there's barely any character development to speak of that isn't cliche, the film makes liberal use of the deus ex machina, and the dialogue can be pretty cheesy. But if you're looking for all those things, there are about a dozen other movies you can see this summer. Credit where credit is due, though; the ensemble cast is pretty good - Samuel L. and Julianna Margulies (who's looking as good as she has for her entire career here) carry the movie, and Todd Louiso manages to make venomous snakes suddenly the coolest subject on Earth.

And honestly, it really hurt to write all that negative stuff, given how hard this movie rocked my ass off. Just trying to be a little objective. Go see it.

Jonny Z
08-17-2006, 08:58 PM
i think i'd give it a solid 8/10

some funny moments, definately a movie that deserves to be seen with large crowds into the film.

my favorite parts were the boob biting, the dog named mary kate (and the subsequent tossing of said dog in the direction of the python) the not gay flight attendant.

Jonny Z
08-17-2006, 08:59 PM
oh and EVERYONE in the theater went nuts when they played the trailer for Black Snake Moan, the new sam jackson film. people were screamin all kinds of crazy shit at the screen in excitement.

JoeE
08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
And please, AVOID SPOILERS!

When the giant snake showed up halfway through the movie and ate the British dude, the movie just reached a new level of awesomeness previously unattainable. It wouldn't have worked so well had I known about it going in.

Evan the Shaggy
08-17-2006, 09:03 PM
oh and EVERYONE in the theater went nuts when they played the trailer for Black Snake Moan, the new sam jackson film. people were screamin all kinds of crazy shit at the screen in excitement.

I didnt even realize that was Christina Ricci.

If you don't think they put Snake in the title of that movie to bank off Snakes on a Plane, you're crazy. Silly Samuel L Jackson and his chaining up white women to his kitchen.

JoeE
08-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Also, the younger flirty stewardess and the Paris Hilton clone were both damn hot.

andrew french
08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Both.

that is too wild a night!

Movie Maker
08-17-2006, 11:26 PM
this movie needs to be experienced in a theater.

needs.

Movie Maker
08-17-2006, 11:31 PM
[02:15] mremokidyoface: it blew my expectations out of the water
[02:15] mremokidyoface: and my expectations were high as fuck
[02:15] rglg666: was samuel l jackson just orgasmic
[02:16] mremokidyoface: dude
[02:16] mremokidyoface: it was like
[02:16] mremokidyoface: watching sex, while having it.
[02:16] mremokidyoface: and youre also getting your balls sucked by *insert hot girl name here*

RegularJoe
08-17-2006, 11:42 PM
it's such a bad movie it's fun. it REVELS in it's cheesiness/badness. god it was fun.

noble
08-18-2006, 02:16 AM
We're bringing rubber snakes to the theater tonight to chuck around when the snakes pop on screen.

Also, I live in a small town and if one person says :Be quiet we're trying to enjoy this very serious movie about horrible snakes:

I'm bitch slapping them in the teeth with said rubber snakes at 15 billion miles an hour. :twisted:

chris page
08-18-2006, 02:23 AM
We're bringing rubber snakes to the theater tonight to chuck around when the snakes pop on screen.

Also, I live in a small town and if one person says :Be quiet we're trying to enjoy this very serious movie about horrible snakes:

I'm bitch slapping them in the teeth with said rubber snakes at 15 billion miles an hour. :twisted:

you sir, are my hero.

won't get to see this til sunday probably.. :(

Lyfeforce
08-18-2006, 03:26 AM

bring a camera!

costello
08-18-2006, 03:32 AM
If you've been onboard with the wholes Snakes on a Plane vibe for the last year or so I can't imagine you being disappointed. You know exactly why you want to see Snakes on a Plane, and the filmmakers know exactly what you want to see in it. In every conceivable way this movie lives up to the glory and absurdity of its title.

Of course, if you're not on that bandwagon or the idea of snakes on an airplane doesn't work for you, you'd best stay away. Or better yet, buy a ticket for some poor kid who can't afford to go to the movies. The plot is wafer-thin and full of holes and loose ends, there's barely any character development to speak of that isn't cliche, the film makes liberal use of the deus ex machina, and the dialogue can be pretty cheesy. But if you're looking for all those things, there are about a dozen other movies you can see this summer. Credit where credit is due, though; the ensemble cast is pretty good - Samuel L. and Julianna Margulies (who's looking as good as she has for her entire career here) carry the movie, and Todd Louiso manages to make venomous snakes suddenly the coolest subject on Earth.

And honestly, it really hurt to write all that negative stuff, given how hard this movie rocked my ass off. Just trying to be a little objective. Go see it.

Oh god this is going to suck. I can't wait!

How is it compared to something as awful as Bad Taste?

JABSEN
08-18-2006, 03:38 AM
heh. You guys may have convinced me too go ahead and see it.

Ray G.
08-18-2006, 05:08 AM
Seeing it at 10:30! :ecstatic:

The Afroman
08-18-2006, 05:09 AM
I wanted to go, so bad to the Alamo Drafthouse premerie.. but i couldn't last night.. /mesighs..
i should have gone.. this movie sounds fantastic, and curse you Lab-Rat for not being in town to watch this with me!

our other roommates suck ass.

NickT
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM

This is why I'm glad I don't see movies in the US :)

Great movie.

noble
08-18-2006, 07:18 AM
This is why I'm glad I don't see movies in the US :)

Great movie.

You damn british and your rules! :D

allanpat
08-18-2006, 07:39 AM
The Snakes Are On Crack!

NickT
08-18-2006, 07:59 AM
"Sporks?" :lol:

yskitch
08-18-2006, 08:01 AM
you guys had me at hello...must see this movie this weekend now

Ray G.
08-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Ohhhhh fuck. This was the most awesome thing I've ever seen. The funniest, scariest, best-executed horror movie I've seen in years. Sure, it was camp. Sure it was over the top and ridiculous. But it was GOOD. This isn't a bad movie that's so bad it's good. This is a fun, well-done summer blockbuster that only snobs will hate.

NickT
08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
It still suprises me that Jackson is pushing 60.

GelfXIII
08-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Surprisingly good review in the NYTimes today:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2006/08/19/movies/19snak.html?ref=movies

emeraldsundae
08-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Saw it last night.

It was great, the crowd was into it, we were laughing and cheering and throughouly enjoying the movie.

Sheldo
08-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Fantastic! That movie was more fun than anything I had seen in a long time. As long as you go into the theatre know you are going to see a cheesy, but fun movie, you should have a great time. 9/10.

April
08-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Going tonight!

Movie Maker
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Going tonight!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERFEST

is going to be funny as all get out.

anyways back to the thread:
i still cant get the images of: the dude pulling the glass out of his neck, the dude getting stepped on by the heel and the puss coming out of the arm.

T-Dro
08-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Just saw SOAP.

If you haven't seen it yet, GO. NOW.

My husband and I found a little, out-of-the-way theater. We just saw Snakes on a Plane, at the 7:35 pm showing. There were EIGHT people in the theater!

My hubby was ecstatic...he hates crowded theaters. But I was dissapointed...I had brought some rubber snakes to throw at people. But the other SIX people in the theater were all sitting behind me, so that would have been difficult to get away with.

On another note, one of the eight people in the place was a FIVE YEAR OLD BOY. What, in god's name, were his parent's thinking? My hubby almost lost his mind laughing during the sex scene, the mom was trying to cover the kid's eyes with her hands and he kept moving his head to see around.

Wipeout
08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll be seeing it later this weekend. But for now...

From the fine Austin, TX cable access show/podcast - The Reel Deal (http://www.thereeldealwebsite.com/).

Video review "Snakes On A Plane" (http://kcoolman.podomatic.com/entry/2006-08-18T07_34_47-07_00)

Dannñ B
08-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I had a lot of fun. Very small crowd. Less than twenty people at the 9:45 showing.

Adam Beranek
08-18-2006, 07:58 PM
It was awesome....but yeah...it was like only half full at 9:20 :(

Nice boobs!!!!

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
man, even the Late Show 10 Ten about this movie sucked

Tuco
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
just got back. and i fuckin loved this movie. had everything i wanted to see......and i wanted to see snakes on a plane.
best line: Get that snake off my ass!

-RAZ

Foolish Mortal
08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
On another note, one of the eight people in the place was a FIVE YEAR OLD BOY. What, in god's name, were his parent's thinking? My hubby almost lost his mind laughing during the sex scene, the mom was trying to cover the kid's eyes with her hands and he kept moving his head to see around.
People do know this is an R-rated film don't they? Hey if parents want to take little kids to see it, that's their choice. I'm just saying..

I'll be seeing it either tomorrow or sunday. :D

Lab-Rat
08-18-2006, 08:54 PM
http://users.ev1.net/~sitton/trip/40-soamfp.jpg

just got back. Loved it. The movie was great!

Also...currently listening to the soundtrack and it's pretty good.

damn...this is my favorite movie of the year. The Theater I was in was PACKED.

the whole Experience was great for this movie.

J. R. Scherer
08-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Saw it tonight.

Loved it.

It's a wonderful ode to '70s and '80s B movies.

It is the perfect B movie, in fact.

Georgie
08-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Saw it tonight. So fucking good. I liked how the witness can draw an entire colored picture with a #2 pencil.

TopFeeg
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I wasn't too impressed. I don't really like what they were going for, and didn't get too campy for me to considder it camp, and it wasn't real enough to think its scarier. I just thought something was missing from it. I just wanted it campier. It was poorly shot too I feel, like things didn't work well in the movie. I know I'm going against the grain, and I know that it was meant to not be a good movie, but i dont think it was even THAT good of a not good movie, like it wasn't bad enough to be total shit. I just feel that it didn't do its job for me.

thatguylobo
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Way better than a movie called Snakes on a Plane had any right to be.

Beazly
08-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Man, I was gonna see this at the drive in next week with friends, but if it's as good as everyone says I may have to have a hissy fit and see it this weekend with my bf!

Piechuck
08-18-2006, 10:37 PM
I loved it

FedEx Fanboy
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow. I hate to say it, but I was really, really disappointed after seeing Snakes On A Plane.

I've been on the SoaP bandwagon ever since I read the first article about Sam Jackson signing on movie without reading the script. Hell I even wore my pimp SoaP shirt to the showing tonight...

What a colossal letdown. I was expecting SoaP to be so bad it was good, but instead I got a turd of a film that tried to be good and ended up sucking ass.

FedEx Fanboy
08-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I wasn't too impressed. I don't really like what they were going for, and didn't get too campy for me to considder it camp, and it wasn't real enough to think its scarier. I just thought something was missing from it. I just wanted it campier. It was poorly shot too I feel, like things didn't work well in the movie. I know I'm going against the grain, and I know that it was meant to not be a good movie, but i dont think it was even THAT good of a not good movie, like it wasn't bad enough to be total shit. I just feel that it didn't do its job for me.

Totally agree with you TP. Nailed it.

Len Snark
08-18-2006, 11:54 PM
I seemed to be the only one in my local theater who realized it was *supposed* to be funny, but I loved it anyway. I mean, it lived up to its title and it had way more snakes than Superman Returns.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
08-19-2006, 12:39 AM
i am seeing it tomorrow.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
08-19-2006, 01:17 AM
There were practically no people in the theater with us. Doesn't bode well.

gwyllgi
08-19-2006, 05:13 AM
I LOVED this movie.
I haven't had SO much fun at a movie in a long time.
It was cheesy as hell but way better than I thought it would be, and vastly entertaining.

Perfect for what it was.

Dannñ B
08-19-2006, 06:45 AM
My favorite parts were Kenan saving the day and the incredibly inappropriate surfing ending. Fifty people just died and they go surfing! Hysterical.

Pat Loika
08-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I fucking loved this movie.

It's like my hotel but in the air!

P.

SeanC
08-19-2006, 09:06 PM

P.

Enough is enough! I want these mother fuckin' guests out of my mother fuckin' hotel! Clear the way....Pat's openin' some doors.

J. R. Scherer
08-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I have had enough of these muthafuckin' poops in the muthafuckin pool!

:rofl:

Pat Loika
08-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I have enough of these muthafuckin' poops in the muthafuckin pool!

:rofl:

Why am I dreading work tomorrow?

P.

amy
08-19-2006, 10:28 PM
saw it. fucking loved it.

I went to an early afternoon movie and out of 30 people, I was the only girl.

That was a first.

Rosdower 3.0
08-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Just saw it last night, I was drunk as fuck. It was great! My friends & I weer going to bring rubber snakes to the theater, but ended up not doing it...turned out ok because there was only like 20 people in the theater.

My favorite parts:

SNAKE VISION!, SPORK!, BOOB SNAKE!, CAPTAIN THAT CONTINUED TO BE SEXIST TO THE END!, PSP PLAYING SAVING THE DAY GUY!, AND THE SURFER ENDING!

sorry for the yelling, I am still excited about Snakes on a muthafuckin Plane!

Donal DeLay
08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Donnie loved the "audience participation" bits, but was slightly dissapointed with Sam's dialogue, he didn't feel that he went ballistic enough. However, it was surprisingly good, and he said that he might buy it and throw a party to watch it.

My reaction was that it was more disturbing than funny. In fact, if the "audience participation" bits had not been in there, I think I would have had to leave and meet Donnie at Wet Willies. Maybe it's just because I went in thinking campy thriller comedy like Club Dredd, or maybe because I've been having maternal urges lately, I had to avert my eyes a lot of the times.

The parts that I'm talking about in particular: The scene where the little boy gets bit, and when the mother with her baby falls and the older stewardess gets bit rescuing the baby, and when the recently married couple dies trapped by the cart. Also, there was just too many close-up graphic scenes of people dying terrible deaths for me to watch it comfortably. I was never into Rotten.com humor, and this kinda went there. I've seen horror flicks, and flicks where people die horribly (Kill Bill Vol 2 with the eye scene) but this one, something about it, made me cringe.

-Kimberly

kubiak
08-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Saw it on opening night with 5 of my friends. This group of people came in with homemade SoaP shirts (They had a pic of Sam Jackson with the words "We have motherfuckin' snakes!" under it.) and handfuls of plastic snakes. Every time something scary would happen in the movie they'd throw a bunch of the snakes up in the air and they'd land on peope! It was awesome! The audience was so into it, and the mnovie was just about perfect for the experience. I can see this one being another Rocky Horror type experience in 5-10 years.

Evertime Sam Jackson did anything cool he'd get a standing o. It was the most fun I've ever had actually watching a movie in a theater. (I've had more fun, but not due to the movie.)

DrSettleton
08-21-2006, 02:19 AM
I just saw this last night and while I could never in good faith call this a "good movie"...it was everything I was expecting when i went in. And how often does that happen? Not very often.
I LOVED
the way some of the "added" scenes really looked added. Especially the one where Sam Jackson says his legendary line of dialogue. It just suddenly goes to an unnecessary close up where all of a sudden he's super heated and ready to whoop ass. Everyone in the theatre just went nuts.
Also

I loved how in the background of scenes people were saying the most INSANE shit. Like when the lights went out and somebody yelled, "It's the SNAKES!"

I'm really glad I experienced this movie in the theatres.

Pia Guerra
08-21-2006, 03:29 AM
About 15 minutes in and I figured out what it was about this movie that felt so familiar... it's a Hong Kong action film. Put Chow Yun Fat or Jet Li in place of Samuel L. Jackson and you have a movie on par with Tiger on the Beat, Hard Boiled and High Risk (that one had snakes in a bathroom). The crazy plot, the reeeeally cheesy dialogue, awkwardly over the top violence and it was like HK nights at the Varsity all over again.

And oh yeah, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

SteveZegers
08-21-2006, 04:03 AM
It was crap. Total crap nonsense!

And very, very entertaining! I got exactly what I was hoping for.

Bandit Chimera
08-21-2006, 04:43 AM
great shit....saw it at the drive in with miami vice last night. Miami vice sucked however :(

but snakes saved my night ...so friggen funny

Beazly
08-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Best. Movie. EVER! Went with my good, good friends and bf and laughed/cringed through some of the most outrageous scenes ever. Those snakes were getting some action man! First fucking snake bite was to the tit! And the potty scene was fucking priceless, “Get off my dick!” The people who thought up/wrote the dialogue for this movie deserve a medal. My rating? Three thumbs up. See it twice. See it thrice. Get high and watch it, our neighbors at the drive-in did, what ever, JUST WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Good & Evil
08-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Great, great movie. My only complaint is that it wasn't bad enough. Hopefully the sequel will be. Check it out here:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/trailer/

Beazly
08-21-2006, 05:01 AM
Miami vice sucked however.

Yea, seriously. It sucked so bad. President Bush decision making process is better then that movie. Yeah, I said it.

mario
08-21-2006, 05:18 AM

P.

Sequel: Snakes in Pat's Hotel!!!

half guard
08-21-2006, 05:21 AM

or better yet: hit them in the boob(s) with a rubber snake!

Matthew
08-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Saw it at a 7:20 pm showing on a Tuesday. About 15 people were there. Loved it so much that I am seeing it again this weekend so I can experience a packed theater.

9/10.

Jibberwashed
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I saw this over the weekend, and loved it. The thing was, I don't think they were trying to make it bad, in fact, I think they tried really hard to make it good, and that made it even better! I loved:
That every Asian person in this movie knew martial arts and the random kung fu fighting from Eddie Kim.

Jibberwashed
08-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Loved it, especially the added on scenes, though I wish that the rest of the movie could have had the same intensity, and I kind of wonder what it would have been like if they filmed the entire thing with the intention of an R rating.

Magnum V.I.
08-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Life Imitates Art at 'Snakes' Screening
New Samuel L Jackson film Snakes On A Plane became terrifyingly real for Arizona cinema-goers when pranksters released two live rattlesnakes into the theatre, causing widespread panic. The two young venomous diamondback rattlers were released during a screening in Phoenix on Friday. Local news reports say the snakes caused chaos among the audience and snake wranglers were called in to collect them. No one was injured during the incident and the culprits have not been caught. Officials believe the snakes were smuggled into the theatre in backpacks. According to Phoenix Herpetological Society spokesman Daniel Marchand, "All they've got to do is startle this thing. It's dark. They can't see you that well. If it's scared - boom - it strikes!" The snakes were eventually captured and released into the Arizona desert. ...taken from IMDB.com

Stupid Kids....

PeteL
08-23-2006, 04:12 AM
I saw it last night. It was an incredibly good time.

Erica J Heflin
08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
It cracked me up, but I would have enjoyed it more if I was drunk. There needs to be a solid drinking game for this one....

Two shots whenever a stereotyped character acts stereotypical, etc.