PDA

View Full Version : TOMBSTONE put in perspective.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks to HBO's DEADWOOD, popcorn flick and 90's revisionist western hit TOMBSTONE has become hilarious. Val Kilmer is still great as the colorless and mucusy Doc Holliday. And it's fun seeing some of the cast of Deadwood amongst the huge moustaches of Bill Paxton and Kurt Russell. But holy shit....
http://www.patriotresource.com/tombstone/graphics/cast/russell.jpg
..........this is one terrible movie. Try not to laugh when Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp, pinned down by enemy gunfire from all directions, decides that he's not gonna play anymore. So he says, "NOOO! NOOOOOO! NOOOOOO!" and walks out into the stream, despite multidirectional enemy combatants and kills them all without taking a single hit. And I think he continues to say, "Noooo!" 6 or 7 more times. Who knew denial could be such a mighty shield? What a powerful moment.

I think I used to like this movie. DEADWOOD has utterly destroyed it's charm. How does this happen? SOPRANOS didn't kill GOODFELLAS. What the fock? :-?

JoeE
08-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Was never one of my favorite westerns, anyway.

sonnylarue
08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
same guy behind both deadwood and tombstone, the great walter hill .

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:17 PM
same guy behind both deadwood and tombstone, the great walter hill .

What did Walter Hill do? Produce? Because these two properties are worlds apart.

BTW, UNFORGIVEN still holds up.

nihilance
08-15-2006, 05:18 PM
No offense, but I always thought Tombstone was just a step away from being Young Guns when I saw it at the theater when I was in highschool. Val Kilmer sells the whole movie though.

Taxman
I can't belive that Ethan would steal from Patriot Resource. My image of him is shattered. :cry:

bartleby
If it took DEADWOOD to convince you that TOMBSTONE was ridiculous, you've missed out on a lot of great Westerns.

And while I won't disagree with your assessment, I think TOMBSTONE's over-the-top ridiculousness is part of its charm.

sonnylarue
08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
What did Walter Hill do? Produce? Because these two properties are worlds apart.

BTW, UNFORGIVEN still holds up.

Hill has been directing eps since season 1

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I can't belive that Ethan would steal from Patriot Resource. My image of him is shattered. :cry:

What?

sonnylarue
08-15-2006, 05:23 PM
If it took DEADWOOD to convince you that TOMBSTONE was ridiculous, you've missed out on a lot of great Westerns.

And while I won't disagree with your assessment, I think TOMBSTONE's over-the-top ridiculousness is part of its charm.

yeah it's all about action, where tombstone is a smarter presentation.

JoeE
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Watch Sergio Leone's Westerns, and then watch Tombstone. You'll be amazed at how inferior it is.

Taxman
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
What?Not a real fan of Tombstone myself. I could never get past the mustaches. I really don't think that particular cast had the real acting ability to carry the audience past the make-up. The director didn't bring it out if they did.

Ryan Elliott
08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Funny thing is, my dad loves westerns. But he hates Deadwood.

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I like Tombstone. It's no Fistfull of Dollars. It's sure no Lonsome Dove. But it is a good time. Powers Booth fucking rules in it.

Hatin' on this movie seems particularly silly on a board full of folks who don't realize Scarface is fucking silly.

bartleby
08-15-2006, 05:30 PM

I'm sorta the same way. I love Westerns, but the first season of DEADWOOD really didn't do much for me. With all the hype, I expected something greater -- turns out, it's just a run-of-the-mill Western.

Nelson
08-15-2006, 05:30 PM
You want inferior?

Watch THIS (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111756/).

It makes TOMBSTONE look like a classic.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I like Tombstone. It's no Fistfull of Dollars. It's sure no Lonsome Dove. But it is a good time. Powers Booth fucking rules in it.

Hatin' on this movie seems particularly silly on a board full of folks who don't realize Scarface is fucking silly.

You're on crack cocayin.

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
So does Robert Duvall, who knows a thing or two about westerns.

I personally could never hate a show with a character as fun as Al.

bartleby
08-15-2006, 05:32 PM

http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1042436#post1042436

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
You're on crack cocayin.
Crack is delightful, but that doesn't change the fact that Tombstone is fun. "Smells like somebody died" & "well, bye" are still two of the best delivered lines ever. Powers Boothe!

bartleby
08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.rustyspursaloon.com/Images/Products/ProductImage_55_309203_FS.jpg

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Crack is delightful, but that doesn't change the fact that Tombstone is fun. "Smells like somebody died" & "well, bye" are still two of the best delivered lines ever. Powers Boothe!

Powers Boothe rules, but the movie still sucks.

SCARFACE is great. Oliver Stone wrote it.

bartleby
08-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Your opinion has just been invalidated.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
wait, there were other people in Tombstone besides Kilmer?

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Your opinion has just been negated.

Grr...I editted out half my comment for the sake of political correctness. Now it's out of context.

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
http://606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?p=1042436#post1042436
Whats most embarassing is I'm in that thread.
But I swear every other time that I've seen that movie mentioned on here everyone seems to be lining up to turn bitch for it.

But i am glad there are folks who realize it eats butt.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah.......
you just lost all your movie credibility
hell, you just lost all your fiction credibility

bartleby
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
wait, there were other people in Tombstone besides Kilmer?

It's got Sam Elliott. Any movie with Sam Elliott playing a cowboy has at least one thing going for it.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
yeah.......
you just lost all your movie credibility
hell, you just lost all your fiction credibility

You fake.

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Powers Boothe rules, but the movie still sucks.

Oliver Stone wrote it is a selling point? I'm on crack?

Brad N.
08-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I was just talking about this with my buddies the other night actually. Having only recently gotten into Deadwood (tragic since I PAY for HBO) I couldn't believe how solid it was. Really lives up to the hype. That said I will agree that Kilmer's Doc made Tombstone and could be the only thing redeeming about it afterall. My dad among other things is an Old West historian and he absolutely adores Deadwood.

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:44 PM
It's got Sam Elliott. Any movie with Sam Elliott playing a cowboy has at least one thing going for it.
Sam Elliott ANd his moustache.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Oliver Stone wrote it is a selling point? I'm on crack?

Oliver Stone is a great screenwriter...it's hard for me to pretend to be cowed by someone telling me he isn't. SCARFACE is a terrific movie, in my, and ALMOST EVERY FILM CRITICS' opinion. So I don't know what to say, except enjoy the crack.

Brad N.
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Oliver Stone is a great screenwriter...it's hard for me to pretend to be cowed by someone telling me he isn't. SCARFACE is a terrific movie, in my, and ALMOST EVERY FILM CRITICS' opinion. So I don't know what to say, except enjoy the crack.

You are correct.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
You fake.
you shill

was Scarface produced by Warner Brothers?

modungo
08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't know what he's written or hasn't. I know I love Platoon and pretty much hate anything else I've seen with his name on it. But really you could tell me Santa Claus was real and he wrote Scarface just for me and I would still think it's silly.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-16-2006, 06:28 AM
you shill

was Scarface produced by Warner Brothers?

Oh!! Shame on you!! :no:

Ethan Van Sciver
08-16-2006, 06:29 AM
I don't know what he's written or hasn't. I know I love Platoon and pretty much hate anything else I've seen with his name on it. But really you could tell me Santa Claus was real and he wrote Scarface just for me and I would still think it's silly.

Oliver Stone also wrote the first Conan the Barbarian movie. He wrote a ton of things before he started directing.

Ziolko
08-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I dunno, I still really like Tombstone, despite how corny it is. Bear in mind my favorite movie of all time is Ice Cream Man starring Clint Howard. So yeah, I shouldn't ever have opinions of movies ever.

Brad N.
08-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Oliver Stone also wrote the first Conan the Barbarian movie. He wrote a ton of things before he started directing.

Holy Crap, I never knew that.

stevapalooza
08-16-2006, 06:38 AM
I thought Dennis Quaid was a way better Doc Holiday than Kilmer. Although on the whole Tombstone was better than Wyatt Earp.

SteveZegers
08-16-2006, 06:44 AM
But Tombstone had a really weird relationship/homoerotic crush going on with Jason Priestly and Billy Zane. What's not to like?

Dusty
08-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Tombstone is one of the best movies ever made and proudly resides in my top 10.

CapnChaos
08-16-2006, 06:45 AM
All falls in the shadows of Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo and John Ford's Wayne Westerns.

Dan
08-16-2006, 07:26 AM
I also must profess to loving Tombstone because it is ridiculously over-the-top and quoteable. Not because it's any good.

MIKE D
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Hill has been directing eps since season 1

A. Walter Hill had absolutely nothing to do with TOMBSTONE.

B. Walter Hill has only directed the pilot episode of DEADWOOD.

I think you might be confusing Tombstone, which is a pile of dreck, with the far superior WILD BILL, which WAS directed by Walter Hill and is a really good movie.

RegularJoe
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM

second line is powers boothe.

first line is michael biehn.

RegularJoe
08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Tombstone is one of the best movies ever made and proudly resides in my top 10.

indeed, sir.

chris page
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
enjoyable flick, again as it's damn quotable. really, the movie had val kilmer's best performance, and solid turnouts by powers boothe and michael biehn. but yes, very silly in places.

still, it's entertaining. not as entertaining as deadwood, but entertaining nonetheless.

TheGibson
08-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Tombstone didn't take itself TOO seriously...

"McMasters: Where's Wyatt?
Doc: Down at the creek. Walking on water."

Adam Beranek
08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
"I guess the strain was more than he could bear."

Akira
08-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Finally, the truth!

Akira
08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
All this talk has me itching to dig out my Tombstone DVD and watch it again :)

ClintP
08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Damn it Van Sciver! Tombstone is a favorite of mine! And to think I was going to check out those crappy x-file seasons based on your opinions. Now I am not! So HA! :)

RegularJoe
08-25-2006, 01:58 PM
"You called down the thunder, well now you got it. So run, you cur. And tell all the other cur's the law is comin'! YOU TELL 'EM I'M COMING! AND HELL'S COMING WITH ME, YOU HEAR? HELL'S COMING WITH ME!"

Akira
08-25-2006, 02:15 PM
"You gonna do somethin'? Or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?"

RegularJoe
08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
"the last charge of wyatt earp and his immortals"

"you ain't no daisy."

"you ever seen anything like that?"
"hell, i never heard'a anything like that."

"doc, why you doin this? you should be in bed."
"wyatt earp is my friend."
"hell, i got lottsa friends."
"i don't."

"why ed bailey...we cross?"

Akira
08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
"I'm your Huckleberry"

The Human Target
08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I watched it on tv the other night, just as I assume you did.

And no, its not a very good movie at all.

But, Val Kilmer has a shitload of great lines and totally sells his part as only Val Kilmer can.

Ethan Van Sciver
08-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Damn it Van Sciver! Tombstone is a favorite of mine! And to think I was going to check out those crappy x-file seasons based on your opinions. Now I am not! So HA! :)

Clint, that's the thing! I used to think it was a great movie too! But after 39 episodes of DEADWOOD to compare it with, it just seems silly.

I'm really sorry. It's not like I'm happy about it. I bought the S.E. DVD, hoping it was as good as I'd remembered.

Still, X-FILES 8 and 9 are awesome. Totally underrated.

The Human Target
08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Woah woah woah.....

You lost me there buddy.

monkeyboy
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
i STILL dig tombstone! Sure it's campy! Wadya expect, it stars Kurt Russel. Now don't get me wrong i don't view it as a drama filled documentary. But i do think it as a great "summer movie" that must be in everyones DVD collection for the sole sake, as it has been well documented on this thread, for Val Kilmers performance as Doc. He DID make the movie great. And for that reason i shall always have a copy in my collection right there with my Magnificent Seven.

bartleby
08-25-2006, 11:16 PM
I used to think it was a great movie too! But after 39 episodes of DEADWOOD to compare it with, it just seems silly.

But TOMBSTONE is supposed to be silly. You may as well be comparing THE NAKED GUN to THE SHIELD.

The Human Target
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Tombstone is a comedy like Naked Gun?

Wow, no one ever told me.

bartleby
08-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Tombstone is a comedy like Naked Gun?

Wow, no one ever told me.

Hey... if I wasn't so drunk, I coulda come up with a better comparison. But it's not like TOMBSTONE was trying to be what DEADWOOD is trying to be.

Angel of Distraction
08-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Never a big fan of this or Unforgiven while we're at it. Someone's going to want to duel me at high noon after that last one.

Vroom_Socko
08-26-2006, 03:17 AM
I think I used to like this movie. DEADWOOD has utterly destroyed it's charm. How does this happen? What the fock? :-?

If this is the case, then remind me never to watch DEADWOOD.

ClintP
08-26-2006, 04:29 AM
"You called down the thunder, well now you got it. So run, you cur. And tell all the other cur's the law is comin'! YOU TELL 'EM I'M COMING! AND HELL'S COMING WITH ME, YOU HEAR? HELL'S COMING WITH ME!"
One of my favorite scenes of all time.