PDA

View Full Version : I start my new job tommorrow

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
No more retail! Wooo!!!
Anyway, tommorrow is orientation and then I get an intro to where I will be working and such. I'm excited. :)

TSChamp
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Congrats. What kind of job?

Shannon Chenoweth
Congrats. What kind of job?

I'll be working for Hertz in one of the ritzy hotels.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
What type of job?

Lyfeforce
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Good luck, we're all counting on you.

TSChamp
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Tips allowed?

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Tips allowed?

I don't know. But, I know I get commissions on each car rental.

copypastepuke
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
oh
i first mistook HERTZ FOR HEINZ AND WAS ALL CONFUSED WHY HEINZ WAS IN A FANCY HOTEL

batmanbooyah
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
oh
i first mistook HERTZ FOR HEINZ AND WAS ALL CONFUSED WHY HEINZ WAS IN A FANCY HOTEL

now IM confused as to why DONT they!

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
oh

Ha.

TSChamp
08-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Do you get to test drive new arrivals?

Masculine Todd
08-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I feel retarded because I had no idea what Hertz was.

Still, congrats. You get paid to drive around and shoot the shit with various people. That's pretty cool.

Scotty
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Good luck Shannon!

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I feel retarded because I had no idea what Hertz was.

Still, congrats. You get paid to drive around and shoot the shit with various people. That's pretty cool.

Actually, no that's not what I'll be doing. I'll be working behind a desk renting cars out, taking care of phone calls and doing daily paperwork (on the computer).

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you get to test drive new arrivals?

Don't think so, but you never know.

dEnny!
08-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Actually, no that's not what I'll be doing. I'll be working behind a desk renting cars out, taking care of phone calls and doing daily paperwork (on the computer).

Congrats on the new gig, but (and I'm not trying to be a "wise acre") wouldn't Hertz be considered retail like?

Masculine Todd
08-13-2006, 06:47 PM

Oh, well, jeez, now I really feel retarded.

Still, congrats Shannon. Computers are fun.

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Congrats on the new gig, but (and I'm not trying to be a "wise acre") wouldn't Hertz be considered retail like?

I wouldn't consider it retail at all. I'm not working in a store. I'll be working in a high-class hotel behind a desk. Yes, we sell rentals, but that's it. We don't sell merchandise, less for the add-ons. It's a customer service/sales job. I don't see how it could be considered retail. But, I'd be curious as to why you think it is (and I'm honestly just curious).

dEnny!
08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't consider it retail at all. I'm not working in a store. I'll be working in a high-class hotel behind a desk. Yes, we sell rentals, but that's it. We don't sell merchandise, less for the add-ons. It's a customer service/sales job. I don't see how it could be considered retail. But, I'd be curious as to why you think it is (and I'm honestly just curious).

sales clerk at b&n/sales clerk at Hertz?

Not trying to minimize, because it sounds like a great job, definitely has its advantages, just saying they have similar skill sets, both are service/customer/sales oriented.

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
sales clerk at b&n/sales clerk at Hertz?

Not trying to minimize, because it sounds like a great job, definitely has its advantages, just saying they have similar skill sets, both are service/customer/sales oriented.

I see what you're saying, and yes my skills doing retail for 11 years DID get me the job. But, the new job isn't retail at all. This is a step up. I'm still doing customer service and sales, but not in a store. And, I'll be working in the hotel industry. In retail, I'd have to deal with sales, ringing up lines of customers, cleaning up the store, etc. The only cleaning I'll have to do in this job is help keep the desk neat and maybe clean the windows on a car or quickly use the dustbuster on them (no heavy cleaning is done, that's someone else's job). And, I won't be dealing with lines of customers and whatnot.

dEnny!
08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I see what you're saying, and yes my skills doing retail for 11 years DID get me the job. But, the new job isn't retail at all. This is a step up. I'm still doing customer service and sales, but not in a store. And, I'll be working in the hotel industry. In retail, I'd have to deal with sales, ringing up lines of customers, cleaning up the store, etc. The only cleaning I'll have to do in this job is help keep the desk neat and maybe clean the windows on a car or quickly use the dustbuster on them (no heavy cleaning is done, that's someone else's job). And, I won't be dealing with lines of customers and whatnot.

Hotel industry is a good one to get in on. A friend of mine got a Hospitality degree from UK and is loving her job (she took one in ALASKA!).

One bit of advice, be sure you know where everything is (convention center, good restaurants, etc) and can give good directions. I always bugged the car rental people for directions to places. :D

Shannon Chenoweth
08-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Hotel industry is a good one to get in on. A friend of mine got a Hospitality degree from UK and is loving her job (she took one in ALASKA!).

One bit of advice, be sure you know where everything is (convention center, good restaurants, etc) and can give good directions. I always bugged the car rental people for directions to places. :D

You? No way! :p
Yeah, I've got a lot to learn, but I'm looking forward to it.

natalie
08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Why do you dislike retail so much?

The Marvel Girl
08-13-2006, 08:40 PM

....I only worked in retail for 6 months and I've got a list as long as my arm!

Congrats shannon! Adam and I are thinking of renting a car for our trip to baltimore, what hotel are you at? we can come and rent it from you so that you get a comission :)

Shannon Chenoweth
08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
....I only worked in retail for 6 months and I've got a list as long as my arm!

Congrats shannon! Adam and I are thinking of renting a car for our trip to baltimore, what hotel are you at? we can come and rent it from you so that you get a comission :)

I'm at the Omni in Champions Gate right now.
I'll see if I can find out about renting in other states. There's a lot to learn! :)

Shannon Chenoweth
08-14-2006, 03:47 PM

Flat out, it just sucks. And, like Constance said, I could go on and on. But, basically, I put up with a lot of shit, and got forced into working in areas that I didn't want to (aka the cafe).

What do you do?

The Marvel Girl
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm at the Omni in Champions Gate right now.
I'll see if I can find out about renting in other states. There's a lot to learn! :)

well, we'd rent it here, and return it here.

natalie
08-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Flat out, it just sucks. And, like Constance said, I could go on and on. But, basically, I put up with a lot of shit, and got forced into working in areas that I didn't want to (aka the cafe).

What do you do?

Retail :)

I've worked in retail for twenty years and honestly the only thing I hate about it, is the customers.

If I could stock, merchandise, and straighten all day I would be happy.

SteveZegers
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
You should call up the office and demand to speak to the CEO/founder Mr. Hertz. I believe his first name is Dick.

KingMob
08-15-2006, 07:40 AM

I was going to say....it actually sounds worse than retail.

Shannon Chenoweth
08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
well, we'd rent it here, and return it here.

Ok. I'll find out tommorrow when I go in. I'll be working with my manager out at the Caribe.
What kind of a car do you want?

Shannon Chenoweth
08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
I was going to say....it actually sounds worse than retail.

No way. Worse than retail? That's like working in food service for me. This job is much better than retail.

Caley Tibbittz
08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I'll be working for Hertz in one of the ritzy hotels.
Awesome. Good luck.:D

Taxman
08-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I rented Thrifty for the first time last week.

Didn't like it.

Shannon Chenoweth
08-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I rented Thrifty for the first time last week.

Didn't like it.

Go with Hertz next time. We've got the nicer cars. :)

Taxman
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Go with Hertz next time. We've got the nicer cars. :)Yeah, well . . . it was a lot cheaper, but I won't be a repeat customer.