PDA

View Full Version : Loeb and Turner on Ultimate Wolverine

Kefky
08-05-2006, 08:10 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8074

Meh. It'll sell like fuck, though.

Vonn Hennigar
08-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Jeph Loeb is going to sell more books than fucking JK Rowling in the next 18 months. He has so many Big Money projects in the works it's unbelievable.

As for this one i'm in but i'm hardly doing backflips.

Sy-Klone
08-05-2006, 08:18 AM
I'll be honest: I'm really burnt out on Wolverine. He's a fantastic character. I've read tons of great Wolverine stories that have made me love comics. But seriously? I'm burnt out.

But my mantra is: If it works for you and you really like it, then great! Getting more comics in more hands is always a good thing. Different strokes for different folks and all that. :)

Ben
08-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Feh

Dusty
08-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Blah

I was hoping for something in the Marvel Universe. I'm not a big follower of the Ultimate stuff. Turner's art will definitely get me to take a look.

Vonn Hennigar
08-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Sounds like it'll be Ultimate Origin which is nice especially since Loeb specifically says he going to Juice this version up to 11.

Kefky
08-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Sounds like it'll be Ultimate Origin which is nice especially since Loeb specifically says he going to Juice this version up to 11.

I like the fact that it has a specific purpose. I hope that with minis like this and the hulk one marvel actually holds out on a ultimate wolvie ongoing.

The Human Target
08-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Meh.

Kefky
08-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Meh.

If you were ever interested in a Loeb/Turner book, I would point and laugh at you. :)

THWIP!
08-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll trade wait if anything.

John Drake
08-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Meh..not interested. I was hoping Turner wouldn't work with Loeb. He's getting almost all the new Marvel artists.

bpepple
08-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Eh, not interested. Don't care for Turner's work, and Loeb's Marvel stuff has been lacking IMHO.

CraigM
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Eh, not interested. Don't care for Turner's work, and Loeb's Marvel stuff has been lacking IMHO.
And what new Marvel stuff has Loeb released?

Craig

Jim.
08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
I like my Wolverine in small doses and right now I am getting some great Wolverine in New Avengers, and Wolverine: Origin. If this comes out in LATE '07 maybe I will pick it up.

bpepple
08-05-2006, 09:52 AM
And what new Marvel stuff has Loeb released?
Where in my statement did I put 'New'?

Ethan Van Sciver
08-05-2006, 09:53 AM
"Ultimate" means "Final". May we hope? Wolverine is so overexposed and tiresome that I can't even get excited that Jeph is involved.

Back to DC now, please.

Mister Mets
08-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Seems like a perfect match.

bartleby
08-05-2006, 09:55 AM
"Ultimate" means "Final". May we hope? Wolverine is so overexposed and tiresome that I can't even get excited that Jeph is involved.

Aren't you drawing a book with that Batman fellow...?

CraigM
08-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Where in my statement did I put 'New'?
You use the word Has, which implies his present work at Marvel, which currently, he doesn't have any.

Craig

John Drake
08-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Batman only has like 6 books. Wolverine is obviously on like 10.

CraigM
08-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Back to DC now, please.
Have you read Wolverine: Origin? One of my favorite books out right now. Really enjoying Wolverine on New Avengers as well. Right now, he's being written really well, and people are buying it up.

Craig

PhilipClark
08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I thought Mack was supposed to be on this.

CraigM
08-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I thought Mack was supposed to be on this.
There was a rumor a while back on Mack doing an arc on Marvel Universe Wolverine, but I don't believe I've ever heard of him supposed to be doing Ultimate Wolverine.

Craig

Ethan Van Sciver
08-05-2006, 10:01 AM

Damn you, there is never enough Batman. Batman has DEPTH. :mad:

CraigM
08-05-2006, 10:03 AM
And a man who has lived for well over 100 years doesn't have depth? ;-)

Craig

Ethan Van Sciver
08-05-2006, 10:07 AM
And a man who has lived for well over 100 years doesn't have depth? ;-)

Craig

He certainly yells and drools a lot. So did George Burns, who also lived for well over 100 years.

Hawkdevil
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Waiting for the trade. Reading the first ish in the store. Then asking myself "Is this REALLY worth my money?"

John Drake
08-05-2006, 10:22 AM

And a cape.

Does Wolverine have a cape? I don't think so. Batman wins.

UltimateFactor
08-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Bah, I only really read Wolverine's monthly when a certain arc catches my eye. Otherwise I only see him in the X-books and New Avengers. Recently it's been just New Avengers, and Origins for me [with the addition of Wolverine's monthly during Civil war.] I read Astonishing and Ultimate X-men in trades only. But, I'm a big fan of both Loeb and Turner, so I'll gladly add another making it four [three when Civil War is over]. Should be interesting.

niceguyeddie
08-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I dig Loeb's writing style, but I just don't see him being great in this book and Ultimates.
That's just me maybe but I just don't see him being able to follow up Millar's stuff on Ultimates. I'm sure he won't be writing as hardcore and stuff so maybe he'll just bring something new to the book entirely.

andrew french
08-05-2006, 10:44 AM
ew

Ray G.
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I still can't believe Loeb is supposedly writing four or five books/minis, with the likes of Joe Mad, J. Scott Campbell, Rob Liefeld, and Michael Turner. While still having a full-time TV job.

You don't actually think you'll see all these books reach completion, do you? I've never seen a writer promise this much.

CraigM
08-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I still can't believe Loeb is supposedly writing four or five books/minis, with the likes of Joe Mad, J. Scott Campbell, Rob Liefeld, and Michael Turner. While still having a full-time TV job.

You don't actually think you'll see all these books reach completion, do you? I've never seen a writer promise this much.
He's had a year headstart thus far. Some books aren't coming out till 07, so, I think he should be fine. They're not all coming out at the same time. Also, let's not forget, he has a book with Joe Q and Wolverine with Bianchi ;-)

Craig

Ray G.
08-05-2006, 11:23 AM
He's had a year headstart thus far. Some books aren't coming out till 07, so, I think he should be fine. They're not all coming out at the same time. Also, let's not forget, he has a book with Joe Q and Wolverine with Bianchi ;-)

Craig

This is absolutely fucking batshit insane. Joe Q? Did Daredevil Father ever finsh? I lost track.

I mean, I think we'll get some good stories out of Loeb at Marvel, but anyone who thinks Ultimates 3 is going to come out any faster than Ultimates 1 or 2, or that the Campbell Spider-man, Turner Wolverine, or the Joe Q book will be anything more than bimonthly at best, are deluding themselves.

YouStayClassy
08-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Could be interesting. The ol' wait and see approach is in full effect.

innocentboy
08-05-2006, 03:08 PM
the more i think about it, the more i look forward to it.

Ryan Elliott
08-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Holy shit. One of my favorite writers and one of my favorite artists on my second favorite comic book characters.

Jesus, it is GREAT to be me right now. :D

Kefky
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM

You're not very good at counting, aren't you? Wolverine's currently in only 3 books right now, and he's not even guest-starring anywhere.

John Drake
08-05-2006, 04:38 PM
You're not very good at counting, aren't you? Wolverine's currently in only 3 books right now, and he's not even guest-starring anywhere.

:p

JoeE
08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Marvel is pretty much handing Loeb the Ultimate universe on a silver platter, aren't they?

Kefky
08-05-2006, 04:48 PM
:p

The joke is past its prime. Move on to something else.

JoeE
08-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Well, let's see. A quick visit to DC's website reveals the following Batman books either in process or beginning in the month of August, excluding his team books:

Batman
Detective Comics
The Batman Strikes
Legends of the Dark Knight
All-Star Batman and Robin
Superman/Batman
Batman: Journey Into Knight
Batman: The Mad Monk

That's eight Batman titles, not including the ones I may have missed, an astonishing six of which are ongoing.

A visit to Marvel's site, meanwhile, reveals the following Wolverine titles:

Wolverine
Wolverine: Origins
Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk
Claws

That's only four Wolverine series, two of which are minis. Wolverine also appears in a few books. Even if you include books in which Wolverine doesn't get top billing, he still doesn't have as many series as Batman.

But nevermind, Wolverine is the most overexposed character in comics and he is the only popular character who should ever be singled out for being in too many books.

Dreg
08-06-2006, 07:47 AM

Only if he has enough prep time. Say...giant, 12 issue arcs that never really go anywhere.

rwsmith
08-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Yeah, nothing like that Superman or Batman fellow. Don't see them in very many books at all these days.

John Drake
08-06-2006, 10:37 AM
The joke is past its prime. Move on to something else.

:surrend: how cranky

David
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
meh, wolverine isnt one of my favorite characters anymore, i'll proabably buythe 6 issue series as a trade when it comes out in 2 years for completness of my ultimate universe collection

King of Mars
08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Wow. Jeph Loeb and Micheal Turner doing Ultimate Wolverine. It's like TPTB at Marvel reached into the deepest recesses of my mind to pull out information about the sort of comic I'd be least likely to buy. Ahh, well, at least they won't be fucking up a book that I currently enjoy.