PDA

View Full Version : Don't kill Harry Potter, authors urge Rowling

Taxman
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060801/people_nm/rowling_dc

Don't kill Harry Potter, authors urge Rowling

By Claudia ParsonsTue Aug 1, 1:14 PM ET

Two of America's top authors, John Irving and Stephen King, made a plea to J.K. Rowling on Tuesday not to kill the fictional boy wizard Harry Potter in the final book of the series, but Rowling made no promises.
"My fingers are crossed for Harry," Irving said at a joint news conference before a charity reading by the three writers at New York's Radio City Music Hall.

The author of "The World According to Garp" and a string of other bestsellers said he and King felt like "warm-up bands" for Rowling, who is working on the seventh and last book in the Harry Potter series, and who has said two characters will die.

King, who shot to fame in 1974 with "Carrie," said he had confidence that Rowling would be "fair" to her hero.
"I don't want him to go over the Reichenbach Falls," King said in a reference to Arthur Conan Doyle's effort to kill off the character of fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Pressure from fans eventually led Conan Doyle to resurrect Holmes, who was found in a later story to have survived.

Rowling, a Briton whose books have sold 300 million copies worldwide according to her publishers, said she was well into the process of writing the final book.

"I feel quite liberated," she said.

"I can resolve the story now and it's fun in a way it wasn't before because finally I've reached my resolution, and I think some people will loathe it and some people will love it, but that's how it should be."
"We're working toward the end I always planned but a couple of characters I expected to survive have died and one character got a reprieve," she said, declining to elaborate.

Asked about the wisdom of killing off fictional characters, Rowling said she didn't enjoy killing the major character who died in book six -- for the sake of those who haven't read it yet she avoided naming the victim -- but she said the conventions of the genre demanded the hero go on alone.

"I understand why an author would kill a character from the point of view of not allowing others to continue writing after the original author is dead," she added, leaving the door open to the worst fears of some fans -- that Harry could die.

King recalled that when he had a character kick a dog to death in his novel "Dead Zone" he received more letters of complaint than ever, to his surprise.

"You want to be nice and say 'I'm sorry you didn't like that,' but I'm thinking to myself number one, he was a dog not a person, and number two, the dog wasn't even real," he said.

"I made that dog up, it was a fake dog, it was a fictional dog, but people get very, very involved," King said.
Rowling noted that Irving had killed off many more characters than she had.

"When fans accuse me of sadism, which doesn't happen that often, I feel I'm toughening them up to go on and read John and Stephen's books," she said. "I think they've got to be toughened up somehow. It's a cruel literary world out there."

Ryan Elliott
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't really think he should die either. Let Ron or Neville die heroically

Of course, I haven't read the last two books, so I might not be getting a subtle point in them.

Taxman
08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Of course, I haven't read the last two books, so I might not be getting a subtle point in them.I don't know what that would be.

Gavin
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I doubt she'll kill any of the main three characters.

Ryan Elliott
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know what that would be.

I'm just guessing.

Donal DeLay
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I want her to do whatever's best for the story, even if that means killing Potter.

Taxman
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I doubt she'll kill any of the main three characters.Earlier reports seem to have guaranteed that.

ihategravity
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't care wether or not Harry Potter dies in the last book, as long as it keeps new generations of readers interested in reading, and it's done in good taste in a heroic fasion that is well written.

Michael John Wheeler
08-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Fuck Irving and King. Harry is going to die. I garauntee it.

Shane W
08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I will stab the elderly in the eyes with frozen turd darts if this is spoiled.

-Chris-
08-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Nothing to see here...

keep moving...

:lol:

-Chris-
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
So who do we think is a lock for the ol' dirtnap?

I'm thinking Percy Weasley and Hagrid for sure.

And probably Severus.

And maybe Sirius.

:D

Michael John Wheeler
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I will stab the elderly in the eyes with frozen turd darts if this is spoiled.

I'm worried about that. This is going to be the most intentionally spoiled books out there when it comes out. If he does die, it's going to be headline news. If he doesn't it will still be headlined because of all the "he's going to die" speculation. I've gotten the others on release date, but for this one I'm going to pull the "get it at a midnight release party and read it ASAP" move to avoid it.

Shane W
08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm worried about that. This is going to be the most intentionally spoiled books out there when it comes out. If he does die, it's going to be headline news. If he doesn't it will still be headlined because of all the "he's going to die" speculation. I've gotten the others on release date, but for this one I'm going to pull the "get it at a midnight release party and read it ASAP" move to avoid it.

I probably will too.

The Human Target
08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
If Stephen King told me to do anything, I would immediately do the opposite.

On principle.

Ray G.
08-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Ginny Weasley and Snape. That's my prediction.

-Chris-
08-01-2006, 05:09 PM
If Stephen King told me to do anything, I would immediately do the opposite.

On principle.
Might I ask why?

Kensington
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Great, let's all advocate art by committee or consensus. :-?

Thudpucker
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
No way she would ever kill any of the main three characters.

I think Ginny is as good though. Her and Snape.

The Human Target
08-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Might I ask why?

I think he's a poor writer, though he seems like a nice enough bloke.

Akira
08-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Ditto. I had book 6 spoiled for me when I clicked on a link that said it had some info about the Punisher sequel :hulk:

And I don't care if she kills them all or none of them, she is still my #1 candidate for Celebrity I Would Marry Tomorrow If I Had A Snowball's Chance
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9404/jk1gd4.jpg

*le sigh*:D

Dark Sasha
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Kill away!

Michael John Wheeler
08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Ditto. I had book 6 spoiled for me when I clicked on a link that said it had some info about the Punisher sequel :hulk:

This is one of those events you avoid the board for for a few days :wink:

Akira
08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Now I know. Seriously, I'm gonna do the midnight thing and not leave till i finish the book.

gwyllgi
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I think I might do the midnight thing, take it home, call off work. and read. not go outside. not go online. just read the book till it's done.

Thudpucker
08-01-2006, 06:52 PM

:lol: some asshole DJ spoiled the end of book six on the local morning show here a week after it came out, and his little crew buddies were making jokes about it all morning, re-spoiling it every 10-15 minutes.

The station got so many complaint calls and threats to never listen to the show again he almost got fired (and he's been on air forever here, a so-called 'local celebrity')

Taxman
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
:lol: some asshole DJ spoiled the end of book six on the local morning show here a week after it came out, and his little crew buddies were making jokes about it all morning, re-spoiling it every 10-15 minutes.

The station got so many complaint calls and threats to never listen to the show again he almost got fired (and he's been on air forever here, a so-called 'local celebrity')I only read this a few months ago, and was caught totally off guard. I had concluded that such event would occur, but expected in the final book.

niceguyeddie
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
kill the little bastard... no pun intended.

VKValentine
08-01-2006, 08:03 PM
kill the little bastard... no pun intended.

What pun? James and Lily were married! :no:

TheTravis!
08-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I think the most likely characters to die are Draco, Snape, Hagrid, and Ron.

Fourthman
08-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I just got back from seeing all three of them read at Radio City Music Hall.
If you can get in on their tour I highly recommend. Kathy Bates introduced King, Andre Braugher intro'd Irving and Jon Stewart introd Rowling. Whoopi Goldberg hosted. It was fucking amazing - King read the short puke story from The Body aka Stand By Me. Irving read from Owen Meany and Rowling read the passage from Half-Blood where Dumbledore first meets Riddle at the Orphanage. Great night.

Michael John Wheeler
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I just got back from seeing all three of them read at Radio City Music Hall.
If you can get in on their tour I highly recommend. Kathy Bates introduced King, Andre Braugher intro'd Irving and Jon Stewart introd Rowling. Whoopi Goldberg hosted. It was fucking amazing - King read the short puke story from The Body aka Stand By Me. Irving read from Owen Meany and Rowling read the passage from Half-Blood where Dumbledore first meets Riddle at the Orphanage. Great night.

Wait wait--She's on tour? Where can I find more info?

Michael John Wheeler
08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Wait wait--She's on tour? Where can I find more info?

I just ticketmastered it. Damn tour's only in New York :x

niceguyeddie
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
What pun? James and Lily were married! :no:

damn.
hoisted by my own petard.

Fourthman
08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I just ticketmastered it. Damn tour's only in New York :x
Shit, sorry, my bad.

CraigM
08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I really thought that Scholastic was going to take this opprotunity to announce a release date for Harry Potter VII.

Craig

-Chris-
08-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I really thought that Scholastic was going to take this opprotunity to announce a release date for Harry Potter VII.

Craig
From what I've heard, it will be released on July 7, 2007.

Seltzer Water
08-02-2006, 07:03 AM
going tonight, pumped up for it

Lyfeforce
08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Now I know. Seriously, I'm gonna do the midnight thing and not leave till i finish the book.

you know I'm down.

Seltzer Water
08-02-2006, 07:31 AM

And I don't care if she kills them all or none of them, she is still my #1 candidate for Celebrity I Would Marry Tomorrow If I Had A Snowball's Chance
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9404/jk1gd4.jpg

*le sigh*:D

I would love for her to adopt me and let me swim in her vault of money

TheGibson
08-02-2006, 07:55 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=74510&highlight=harry+potter

CraigM
08-02-2006, 04:14 PM
From what I've heard, it will be released on July 7, 2007.
That's the rumor going around, but we'll see eventually I imagine.

Craig