PDA

View Full Version : Family and stress

DAVE
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
OK, I am in the midst of studying for the Series 7 test, which liscenses you to trade stocks, bonds, and other securities. It's a very hard test and I've been studying for monthes now, and it is about a week away.
Suffice to say, I'm pretty stressed. However about a week ago my younger brother got into some trouble, nothing too serious, but it wasn't fair to him and it naturally upset me and the rest of my family. Luckily I'm financially in a situation where I could help him, which is what I did, and now the situaiton has gotten a lot better for him.
However on top of all that my older brother is really in a bind. He's lost his job and with it his health insurance. Also his cell phone has been turned off. This all has combined, naturally, to make the rest of my family very worried about him. He and I both live in New York, everyone else, Florida.
Now my older brother is in a bind like I said, but I'm doing what I can to help him. Such as giving him money, taking him out, brigning him to baseball games, etc.
However since I'm in NY with him, plus I'm seen as the "responsible one" (which I'm not, I'm just lucky), I'm getting frantic calls from aunts, my mom, and now my little brother about how much they're all worried about him. Thing is, I'm at work now, and am trying not to go crazy from all the stress I'm under with this test coming up (which is akin to a lawyer taking the bar for my profession) plus balancing what I can do for my brother. Along with my girlfriend, my brothers are the most important thing in the world to me. I won;t be studying tonight because I'm going to take my older brother out, buy him a cell phone, and try to get his mind off his problems and do what I can to get him back on his feet.
In the meantime I'm fucking stressed as hell balancing everything. Everyone whos stressed with my older brother and worried about him can't reach him, because he has no phone, so instead they call me!
I'm getting calls from everyone at work, or on the weekend when I'm trying to relax and study and it's driving me nuts. Thing is, I'm really doing all I can for him, but I'm losing patiance with the rest of my family, because I can't keep being inudated with their calls about him, and this is making me feel like I'm an asshole.
Not sure if any advice can apply to this situation, but It is good to be getting this off my chest alittle. I hope I'm handling this the right way. Seriously I'd give the shirt off my back for my borthers, but now this starting to affect my prep for this test.

Taki Soma
07-31-2006, 08:02 AM
you're more of a man than most people I know.

you're allowed stress and to whine (wrong word to use, but you know what I mean) about it once in a while, sounds like you have a lot of reasons to do so.

TheGibson
07-31-2006, 08:10 AM
The big question is: do you have Options down? Has anyone shown you the SIGMA to figure out the long/short, straddles/spreads? It makes it super-easy to stop thinking about that portion of the test.

I took the 7 and the 66 in january and I feel your pain. Hardest thing I've ever done.

DAVE
07-31-2006, 08:14 AM
The big question is: do you have Options down? Has anyone shown you the SIGMA to figure out the long/short, straddles/spreads? It makes it super-easy to stop thinking about that portion of the test.
Ha, yeah. I think I've got options down. Not famillier with the SIGMA though, what's that?

DAVE
07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
you're more of a man than most people I know.

you're allowed stress and to whine (wrong word to use, but you know what I mean) about it once in a while, sounds like you have a lot of reasons to do so.
Thanks for the kind words Taki. I'm not trying to be manly or anything like that. Just trying to do right by my family. I feel bad though because I sortof snapped at little brother before when he called about it. I don't want to be like "oh poor me!" when my brother is obviously the one going through a lot.

Race
07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Some times doing the right thing means not bailing a sibling out of trouble. It's hard, but there lessons that will only be learned the hard way (at least it seems that way for my brother).

DAVE
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Some times doing the right thing means not bailing a sibling out of trouble. It's hard, but there lessons that will only be learned the hard way (at least it seems that way for my brother).

That's valid, but it's not one of those situations. I totally know what you mean though.

TheGibson
07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Ha, yeah. I think I've got options down. Not famillier with the SIGMA though, what's that?
Check your PM's.