PDA

View Full Version : Horror Movies

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Gwy's thread made me think this...

Obviously not all of us are scared by every horror movies we've ever watched.
I'd like to know which movies scared the bejeezes out of you in the past.

In no particular order, here are some that scared me to death that I can remember at the top of my head (I think some are due to my younger age when I viewed them)

Nightmare on Elm St
Hellraiser
Hellraiser II
The Gate
Blair Witch Project
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
Poltergeist
Poltergeist II
Silence of the lambs

I'm sure there are tons more, but I'm drawing a blank

Georgie
07-27-2006, 06:28 AM
The 1st Halloween. I was probably 13 when I saw it for the 1st time, ON Halloween. That was a sleepless night, lemme tell ya.

And when I was 8, I saw Troll 2 and it freaked me out.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Halloween (the first one) scared the hell out of me.

And I was home watching it on tv...alone.

The night that Amityville Horror aired, there was that part of the movie where the father (priest) was blessing the house.

the sound in the movie cut right out. There was dead silence. It was deafening, and I was terrified.

Then, barely heard, you think you hear something speak

very quietly......

'get out'

Stupid me, assumed something was wrong with the speaker and cranked it all the way up and put my ear to the speak,

RIGHT AT THE MOMENT

when the gutteral, unearthly voice rasps

"GET OUT!!!!!1"

I (literally) was blown out of the room.

I didn't move a muscle, but my whole body just constricted, and acted as one muscle and rebounded me out of the room.

It's funny now, but DAMN! i nearly shit my pants then.

(I was like, 9)

Dreg
07-27-2006, 06:30 AM
I saw some really good Asian horror movies lately.

-One Missed Call
-The Eye
-The Eye II
-The original Dark Water

When I was a little kid, though, nothing scared me so much as the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. Except maybe Chuckie from Child's Play.

wh park
07-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Audition
House of a 1,000 Corpses
Suspiria
Seven

That's all I can think of right now. I'm not necessarily a fan of horror movies. I don't mind movies that scare per se but it's movies that kind of disturb me and that stick in my psyche afterwards that kind of interest me and bother me at the same time (if that makes any sense).

Race
07-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Thiller Video (hey, I was 8, OK? Led to my fear/hate of zombies)
Midnight Hour (I was 12)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Now it's one of my fav B-movies)
Candyman
The Others (maybe I'll say why later)
Dawn of the Dead (remake)

The following had some good in-movie scares, but didn't stick with me after the credits:
Event Horizon
Blair Witch
Aliens
The Ring

EDIT: What was the Kevin Bacon ghost story with the dead girl?

Persevering Guy
07-27-2006, 06:32 AM
My 5th grade teacher showed us Amityville Horror (in 3D) to us in class. Afterwards, I couldn't be alone, even pee with the door closed for 3 months.

In my adult life, horror doesn't really interest or work for me.

Audition was something else, though.

Doug
07-27-2006, 06:33 AM
The most recent horror film that scared me was The Decent (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/), but it wasn't the creature parts that did it. It was the claustrophobic scenes of the cave exploration. I never thought I was claustrophobic, but those scenes freaked me out.

Also the burried alive scene in Kill Bill freaked me out. Even though KB wasn't a horror movie that was a very scary scene.

I'm not really scared by monters or anything like that, it is the things that can really happen that freak me out.

Kensington
07-27-2006, 06:34 AM
The original Night of the Living Dead traumatized me when I was a kid.

I also found moments in An American Werewolf in London quite frightening, especially David's nightmares.

The two little girls standing in the hallway in The Shining still freak me out.

The opening scene of Twilight Zone: The Movie, in which Dan Aykroyd shows Albert Brooks "something really scary," is really scary.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-27-2006, 06:35 AM
The Exorsist..I STILL wont watch that movie!

TheGibson
Fuck what anyone says, the first SCREAM scared me shitless. A friend was manager at a theatre so 7 of us watched it at about 1am alone in the theater. Damn near pissed myself. My friend and I searched the house and slept with knives under our pillows.

Gremlins (I was 6)

Nightmare on Elm St. 4

Sam Little
Oh yeah, Amityville Horror scared the bee-jeezus out of me as a kid. I was always bugging my Dad to make a trip to see the house but he never took me. :(

The Shining and The Exorcist were the two other big scaries from my younger years, although no movie has ever given me more nightmares than JAWS.

More recently, HOSTEL and BLAIR WITCH PROJECT had me pretty creeped out.

joeyart
The original Night of the Living Dead really creeped me out the first time I saw it...
Ringu did too...

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
The ending of the 70's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers--

Donald Sutherland (in his 'frizzy/curly' hair days) pointing and making that horrible scream that let you know he was 'one of them'

And then the film ENDED!

I barely slept for the next week.

:lol:

wholaughslast
07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
the crab walk scene in The Exorcist

Session 9 - the whole fucking movie creeps me out

sonnylarue
07-27-2006, 06:37 AM
The Exorsist..I STILL wont watch that movie!

yep, even the previews of the version with the unreleased footage wigged me out.

Race
The Exorsist..I STILL wont watch that movie!I read the book in broad daylight in a public area and it creeped the heck out of me.

Probably because they never actually talk about demons - they just exhaust every single medical explanation and leave it kind of open ended.

JHester
3 Movies scared me and shaped my love for Horror movies for many years to come.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
Halloween
The Exorcist ( I still have trouble watching this one)
Others the deserve mention- A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th Part 2 and The Amityville Horror (Original)

Dave Black
I still say The Excorsist is the greatest horror movie ever.
All the characters are intelligent and make rational choices given the situation.
But more importantly I know people who refuse to watch it because it's too scary:eek:
I saw the documentary where they had to pull one the commercials because people were freaking out. And then there are the people that walked out of the theatre because they couldn't deal with it:cool:
It is everything a horror filmaker wishes for in a scary movie.
There are other great horror movies, but none have the reputation The Excorsist has.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 06:38 AM
the crab walk scene in The Exorcist

Session 9 - the whole fucking movie creeps me out

The scariest part was when the camera suddenly directly into David Caruso's face and he says "NO. Fuck you!".

I laughed so hard.

(but yeah, the rest of that movie was unsettling)

My mom called me up. She didn't get the ending.

She said "I don't get. He was in the car. He wasn't in the car. He was on the phone. But he wasn't on the phone. I don't understand? Who did it?"

:lol:

Kensington
07-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Fuck what anyone says, the first SCREAM scared me shitless. A friend was manager at a theatre so 7 of us watched it at about 1am alone in the theater. Damn near pissed myself. My friend and I searched the house and slept with knives under our pillows.Scream is a top-notch thriller. The sheer viciousness of the killer(s) alone makes it stand out, and it's genuinely frightening. But I consider it a thriller more than a horror movie.

Supajoe
07-27-2006, 06:40 AM
the original halloween. when i was a kid, the piano theme alone freaked me out.

Adrian B AWESOME
07-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Halloween.

That's it.

Adam Beranek
07-27-2006, 06:43 AM
EDIT: What was the Kevin Bacon ghost story with the dead girl?

Stir Of Echoes. It was a good flick! Fingernails get me every time.

Race
07-27-2006, 06:45 AM
OK, the reason The Others was so scary was because I was screening it with just myself and two friends in the theatre where I worked at 2:00 am while everybody else was screening the blockbuster coming out that week.

The scariest thing about that whole movie was the stupid book of the dead and the missing picture she found later on. Driving home afterwards, I turned my rear view mirror away because I just knew if I looked back I'd see those dead bodies propped up in my back seat like that picture and then turn around and see them standing outside my car.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 06:45 AM
Halloween (the first one) scared the hell out of me.

And I was home watching it on tv...alone.

The night that Amityville Horror aired, there was that part of the movie where the father (priest) was blessing the house.

the sound in the movie cut right out. There was dead silence. It was deafening, and I was terrified.

Then, barely heard, you think you hear something speak

very quietly......

'get out'

Stupid me, assumed something was wrong with the speaker and cranked it all the way up and put my ear to the speak,

RIGHT AT THE MOMENT

when the gutteral, unearthly voice rasps

"GET OUT!!!!!1"

I (literally) was blown out of the room.

I didn't move a muscle, but my whole body just constricted, and acted as one muscle and rebounded me out of the room.

It's funny now, but DAMN! i nearly shit my pants then.

(I was like, 9):rofl:

AWESOME

Race
07-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Scream is a top-notch thriller. The sheer viciousness of the killer(s) alone makes it stand out, and it's genuinely frightening. But I consider it a thriller more than a horror movie.The theatre where I saw Scream 2 (with the theatre scene) had the ushers doing checks in a Scream costume.

I was sitting on the outside aisle and got so fed up with him walking by that I almost jumped him.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 06:48 AM
My 5th grade teacher showed us Amityville Horror (in 3D) to us in class. Afterwards, I couldn't be alone, even pee with the door closed for 3 months.

In my adult life, horror doesn't really interest or work for me.

Audition was something else, though.
5th grade? in 3D?

damn

Kensington
07-27-2006, 06:49 AM
I actually found Return of the Living Dead scary. It's generally branded as a comedy, but I find that misleading. There's humor in the story, but it rises out of the characters and their situations in a decidely unsettling variety. It's not the pie-in-the-face nonsense of so many other horror-comedy hybrids. Underneath the jokes in Return of the Living Dead are some truly ghastly ideas:

Zombies cannot be stopped; and
It hurts to be deadIn the world of Return of the Living Dead, there is no hope, no chance, and no relief, not even in death. Think about that for a little while, and I defy you not to get a little freaked out.

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 06:53 AM
The Exorcist - one of my favorite movies of all time

The Ring (both the original and the remake, but the remake freaked me out a LOT more)

The Grudge (the original)

The Shining

Scream - I felt pretty vulnerable for awhile after seeing it, it made me once again realize how easy it is for anyone to break into your house and slice you up.

Blair Witch Project - It wasn't just the way it was shot, but the sound - there's no orchestra with shrieking violins, no death metal music, just the background noise, yelling and screaming and it ends with a muffled "THUMP" with the camera dropping. Often that's more effective than anything else.

And Shwicaz - I agree, that's a great final scene of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Stir Of Echoes. It was a good flick! Fingernails get me every time.
Oh fuck, I forgot about this one. Seeing this movie in the theatre is AWESOME, just for that hypnotism scene alone.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Oh fuck, I forgot about this one. Seeing this movie in the theatre is AWESOME, just for that hypnotism scene alone.
yea, stir of echos creeped me out a little.

but after seeing it once, it was no longer creepy, but just a really good flick.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Blair Witch Project - It wasn't just the way it was shot, but the sound - there's no orchestra with shrieking violins, no death metal music, just the background noise, yelling and screaming and it ends with a muffled "THUMP" with the camera dropping. Often that's more effective than anything else.

That movie freaked me the hell out. I was scrunching down in my chair and everything.

My mother, however had the complete opposite reaction:

"what are you afraid of??!!!?!? A bunch of leaves and sticks? Ridiculous!!"

:Oops:

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 06:59 AM
That movie freaked me the hell out. I was scrunching down in my chair and everything.

:rofl:

god, your mom rocks.

I was scared out of my mind.

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:08 AM

I didn't get this movie. I know a lot of people found it scary, but I just was bored and unimpressed. A friend of mine was like "That didn't scare you? are you nuts?" I suspect that I've never been camping or in the woods a night has a lot to do with it. So I'm told.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Blair Witch fucked me up too.
The endning with the guy in the corner...And the realism of it.
Crazy!

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Crazy!
ewww yea! that last moment of the movie still gives me the wiggins unlike most horror movies.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 07:17 AM
I didn't get this movie. I know a lot of people found it scary, but I just was bored and unimpressed. A friend of mine was like "That didn't scare you? are you nuts?" I suspect that I've never been camping or in the woods a night has a lot to do with it. So I'm told.

For me, it was the atmosphere.

They set up the legend well, and the fact that these were 'no name' actors, really made them seem more 'real' or believable.

I felt the same way w/ the couple in Open Water. They seemed like 'everyday people', and I totally bought into the myth/legend.

the fact that you could only 'see' what the were pointing at, also gave the film a claustrophobic quality, because you could see the camera shaking as they were running ahead, but it was all your imagination as to what was going on behind and around the camera that you were not seeing.

Creepy.

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:17 AM
I didn't get this movie. I know a lot of people found it scary, but I just was bored and unimpressed. A friend of mine was like "That didn't scare you? are you nuts?" I suspect that I've never been camping or in the woods a night has a lot to do with it. So I'm told.I think a lot of the effectiveness came from the mass experience. The film opened in Chicago in July, but I'd been hearing about it online since January. The concept is terrific, and the clips on the website were tantalizing. The hype was so widespread that, by the time I actually got to saw it, seven months later in a packed theater on opening night, the atmosphere was enough. I thought it was truly scary and unsettling and even had a hard time going to sleep for the next couple of nights.

The context was everything, I guess.

SIDENOTE: Hey, did anybody else recognize Heather Donahue on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? She's the girl who lies to Charlie that he's the father of her baby in "Charlie Wants An Abortion."

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:18 AM
I actually found the documentary "Curse of the Blair witch" scarier. If they would've mixed the movie and doc footage it would've made the movie better. I remember watching it on scifi thinking "This show is scary, I can't wait to see the movie" Only to be dissapointed.

Not that it's a movie but "A Haunting in Conneticut" on TLC is scary as hell. It's one of those docu-dramas. They have a few more that are really freaky also.

Piechuck
Exorcist
Jaws
Shining- the furries scene creeps me out
Twilight Zone-not the movie, but the show. I'm currently watching it on DVD, and some of the episodes are freaking me out. The movie sucked. Without Rod Serling or it being in black and white, it's not the same. Although the first and the last segments were entertaining. The middle stories were awful.

Dr. Blasphemy
Blair Witch...
"WAHT THE FUCK WAS THAT?"
You dont see it but you KNOW its fucked up....
That and we ALL have gone camping and shit and know the feeling of not knowing whats out there...

TheGibson
07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Crazy!
Never seen it. Don't wanna see it. I am the biggest scary movie pussy you've ever seen.

Last one I went to was Freddie vs. Jason and that's not really a horror a movie.

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I actually found the documentary "Curse of the Blair witch" scarier. If they would've mixed the movie and doc footage it would've made the movie better. I remember watching it on scifi thinking "This show is scary, I can't wait to see the movie" Only to be dissapointed.

Not that it's a movie but "A Haunting in Conneticut" on TLC is scary as hell. It's one of those docu-dramas. They have a few more that are really freaky also.Really? I've been wondering whether shows like that were any good. I'll have to seek this one out. I think they air it pretty frequently, don't they?

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:22 AM
I think a lot of the effectiveness came from the mass experience. The film opened in Chicago in July, but I'd been hearing about it online since January. The concept is terrific, and the clips on the website were tantalizing. The hype was so widespread that, by the time I actually got to saw it, seven months later in a packed theater on opening night, the atmosphere was enough. I thought it was truly scary and unsettling and even had a hard time going to sleep for the next couple of nights.

The context was everything, I guess.

SIDENOTE: Hey, did anybody else recognize Heather Donahue on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? She's the girl who lies to Charlie that he's the father of her baby in "Charlie Wants An Abortion."
I think that it gave little pay off bothered me. I just wanted to see a glimpse of the witch.

There is this movie "The St. Francisville Expieriment" Same concept as Blair Witch(Came out the same time, and yeah it was copying) but they gave you some nice pay-offs. It was like an episode of MTV's "Fear" that goes horribly wrong:lol:

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Really? I've been wondering whether shows like that were any good. I'll have to seek this one out. I think they air it pretty frequently, don't they?
Check it out (just not before bedtime). It's funny how these little docu-dramas are scarier than 90% of horror movies made.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
they should have made Blair Witch into a 3-D movie.

can you imagine the girl's snotty nose in the last part of the film coming out of the screen right atcha?

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:27 AM
they should have made Blair Witch into a 3-D movie.

can you imagine the girl's snotty nose in the last part of the film coming out of the screen right atcha?
3D snot, now THAT'S scary!!

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
I think that it gave little pay off bothered me. I just wanted to see a glimpse of the witch.

There is this movie "The St. Francisville Expieriment" Same concept as Blair Witch(Came out the same time, and yeah it was copying) but they gave you some nice pay-offs. It was like an episode of MTV's "Fear" that goes horribly wrong:lol:I just watched the trailer at IMDB. It looks intriguing. I may have to re-up with Netflix just so I can see this.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-27-2006, 07:35 AM
One question about Blair Witch- What was in the Flannel? A tooth and eye? What was it that made the chick freak out so bad?

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 07:36 AM

Not that it's a movie but "A Haunting in Conneticut" on TLC is scary as hell. It's one of those docu-dramas. They have a few more that are really freaky also.
that documentary defintely was more scary. I saw it on sci-fi channel about a week before the release of the movie.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Blair Witch...
"WAHT THE FUCK WAS THAT?"
You dont see it but you KNOW its fucked up....
That and we ALL have gone camping and shit and know the feeling of not knowing whats out there...
I was once camping out with my friends during my high school years and the staff from my school (my school was VERY small, maybe 30 students in all at the time) found out about it and rented out gorilla outfits, traveled an hour, found us in the middle of nowhere (private property my friend's grandparents owned) without flashlights and scared the FUCK out of us in the middle of the night when the fire was getting smaller.

about 4 gorillas attacked us, and then left.

I miss high school.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
One question about Blair Witch- What was in the Flannel? A tooth and eye? What was it that made the chick freak out so bad?
I think it was mangled bits of teeth, flesh and maybe an eye.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
I was once camping out with my friends during my high school years and the staff from my school (my school was VERY small, maybe 30 students in all at the time) found out about it and rented out gorilla outfits, traveled an hour, found us in the middle of nowhere (private property my friend's grandparents owned) without flashlights and scared the FUCK out of us in the middle of the night when the fire was getting smaller.

about 4 gorillas attacked us, and then left.

I miss high school.
that is awesome!!

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:42 AM
I bougt the book on the movie. It was teeth !!! So apparently witches can control your voice when they have your teeth, so that yelling in the forest wasn't Josh , it was the witch. Then they find the teeth(Scary) It would've beenbetter if they bothered to explain that in the movie. That is one of the many reasons this flick does nothing for me.

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:45 AM
There's a video outlet store in Manhattan selling a Blair Witch bundle for $5.99. It contains DVDs of "The Blair Witch Project," "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2" and "Curse of the Blair Witch", as well as as all three Blair Witch video games and a necklace with the little stick figure guy.

This thread is making me want to buy it.

Race
07-27-2006, 07:45 AM
You know what? I thought Signs was very sinister and creepy. There's not a big climax or payoff - but that's not the point of the movie. It's all in the build up.

Really, once the climax is reached, there's no reason to stick around.

(Before someone else says it, I will: "Kinda like sex!" :P )

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:47 AM
You know what? I thought Signs was very sinister and creepy. There's not a big climax or payoff - but that's not the point of the movie. It's all in the build up.

Really, once the climax is reached, there's no reason to stick around.

(Before someone else says it, I will: "Kinda like sex!" :P )I think the atmosphere of Signs, right up to and including the first alien reveal (because when I saw the film it still wasn't clear that there was going to be an alien invasion), is pretty scary.

RickLM
07-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Why in the world would a teacher show that movie to kids?

Dr. Blasphemy
07-27-2006, 07:49 AM
The COOLEST scary movie by far is PHANTASM..As a kid I LOVED that movie. Me and my friends would play "Phantasm" and have to fight the "tall man" and the jawa-like people....Good times.

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Why in the world would a teacher show that movie to kids?
WORST TEACHER EVER!!!

Kensington
07-27-2006, 07:53 AM
The COOLEST scary movie by far is PHANTASM..As a kid I LOVED that movie. Me and my friends would play "Phantasm" and have to fight the "tall man" and the jawa-like people....Good times.The ending of Phantasm freaked me out for years. Most of those films have killer cliff-hanger endings. Of course, as this was almost ten years before it was clear that there would be a series of movies, it just seemed apocalyptic and nightmarish, not like a true cliff-hanger.

Beazly
07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
:scared: The Grudge. I've sat down to watch that movie ever time it's on HBO and I still haven't managed to make it through from begining to end. Shit's fucking CREEPY! :scared:

Akira
07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Scariest movies I remember seeing as a kid:
-Twilight Zone The Movie
-Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 7
-Poltergeist

RickLM
07-27-2006, 08:00 AM
I mostly dislike horror movies, but I like it when something shocking happens in other movie genres. "Alien" and "Aliens" were pretty high up on the scare meter.

Kensington
07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
I mostly dislike horror movies, but I like it when something shocking happens in other movie genres. "Alien" and "Aliens" were pretty high up on the scare meter.I appreciate the scary nightmare levels in the Max Payne games. Who would expect things like that in a shoot-em-up?

GabeLogan
07-27-2006, 08:02 AM
A lot of horror movies got to me when I was a kid. Nothing really does as far as movies now. Doesn't mean I can't get into them and that I don't love the genre today, but they don't really scare me.

Masculine Todd
07-27-2006, 08:02 AM
I grew up on horror movies (my parents were fucking monsters), so I was pretty desensitized (sp?) at an early age, hence I haven't been scared by many movies. The only movie that ever really scared me was Begotten due to it's horrific images in relation to biblical events.

Jef UK
07-27-2006, 08:13 AM
I find Halloween and The Exorcist to be two of the most boring, non-scary movies ever made. So dull.

Jef UK
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
A lot of horror movies got to me when I was a kid. Nothing really does as far as movies now. Doesn't mean I can't get into them and that I don't love the genre today, but they don't really scare me.

Exactly.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
I find Halloween and The Exorcist to be two of the most boring, non-scary movies ever made. So dull.
I was asking which movies scared you...

Evan the Shaggy
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Poltergeist 2: This movie freaking scared me to death when I watched it at a young age. The creepy old priest and the tequila scene. I can still remember how horrified I was of it.

Candyman: Couldn't look in a mirror for a week.

The Ring (remake): Going into the theater, I had no idea what the movie was even about. Coming out, my roommates and I were so freaked out we couldn't get any sleep that night.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I grew up on horror movies (my parents were fucking monsters), so I was pretty desensitized (sp?) at an early age, hence I haven't been scared by many movies. The only movie that ever really scared me was Begotten due to it's horrific images in relation to biblical events.
my parents let me see all the horror movies too, when I was a kid. but since I was a kid, they scared me.

nowadays, most movies can't scare me if they tried. I don't count the 'jumping' thing to be 'scary'. They just catch you off guard, it's not psychologically scary... and I can usually predict when the 'jumping' scene will happen so I usually don't jump anyway.

Race
My wife is terrified of disaster movies like Day After Tommorrow where something "realistic" like that might happen - although 28 Days Later Scared her, too (I guess that could count as biological warfare).

GelfXIII
The Exorcist III.
Far scarier than the original, pretty much one of the scariest films ever. No music at all. brrrrrr.

Jaws.
I was afraid of the water for months after that film!

In the Mouth of Madness
This film creeps me all the way out.

Seven
Good ending.

Psycho
A classic that doesn't disapointed

Alien
One of the best monster/haunted house flicks ever

Ashton
I saw some really good Asian horror movies lately.

-One Missed Call
-The Eye
-The Eye II
-The original Dark Water

When I was a little kid, though, nothing scared me so much as the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. Except maybe Chuckie from Child's Play.

I just saw Eye II last week (bought it used for $5 at some small video store) and it was pretty damn good.

GabeLogan
07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Exactly.
Yeah see like Saw. Great twist ending that I didn't see coming, but that movie wasn't scary.

Exorcisim of Emily Rose. Intense movie but not scary.

I don't know. I guess I've watched them so much now I kind of know or anticipate when something that should be scary will happen.

Evan the Shaggy
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
The Exorcist III.
Far scarier than the original, pretty much one of the scariest films ever. No music at all. brrrrrr.

Really? I'm going to have to make a point of seeing that, thats a rather bold move on the creator's part.

Another movie I left out was Lord of Illusions. The end really creeped me out.

Masculine Todd
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
nowadays, most movies can't scare me if they tried. I don't count the 'jumping' thing to be 'scary'. They just catch you off guard, it's not psychologically scary... and I can usually predict when the 'jumping' scene will happen so I usually don't jump anyway.

Exactly. The only time I have been even remotely frightened by a movie in the last few years would be a "screamer scene". Frightened is a loaded term, I would say more startled than anything.

That's also a sloppy film technique on the part of screenplay writers. The "jump out" scene is a cheap scare, one that took no work or psychological building to acomplish. Far to many contemporary horror movies use this technique.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Exactly. The only time I have been even remotely frightened by a movie in the last few years would be a "screamer scene". Frightened is a loaded term, I would say more startled than anything.

That's also a sloppy film technique on the part of screenplay writers. The "jump out" scene is a cheap scare, one that took no work or psychological building to acomplish. Far to many contemporary horror movies use this technique.
true. I find that I still like horror movies even if they don't scare me though.

they are certainly entertaining, if done right.

Ashton
07-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Ju-On (the original Japanese horror movie) was my first viewing of an Asian horror flick a few years ago and that creeped me out pretty good. of course its lost its punch for me now, but I still love watching it from time to time.
when I was little the movie Altered States really gave me nightmares for a long time.

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Really? I'm going to have to make a point of seeing that, thats a rather bold move on the creator's part.

Another movie I left out was Lord of Illusions. The end really creeped me out.
Yeah, Exorcist III was brilliant. Some great scenes in there. It was directed by the same guy who wrote the original Exorcist book and its sequel, Legion (the Exorcist I and III movies were based on those books).

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Exorcist III was brilliant. Some great scenes in there. It was directed by the same guy who wrote the original Exorcist book and its sequel, Legion (the Exorcist I and III movies were based on those books).
huh... now I have to see this.

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
huh... now I have to see this.
The thing that might throw someone off about this movie are the two main characters (save for Jason Miller who reprises his role as Father Damian Karras) because the ones they are playing in III look nothing like the characters in the first Exorcist :lol: George C. Scott plays Detective Kinderman, who was the cop in the first Exorcist. Father Dyer (Damian's Preist friend) in III has gray egg-beater hair and a round head, compared to the jut-jawed oval-shaped head with staight-haired-parted-on-the-side actor in the first one (useless trivia alert: the person who played that role is an actual Priest).

Just an FYI, so you have a better idea on the plot :thumb:

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
The thing that might throw someone off about this movie are the two main characters (save for Jason Miller who reprises his role as Father Damian Karras) because the ones they are playing in III look nothing like the characters in the first Exorcist :lol: George C. Scott plays Detective Kinderman, who was the cop in the first Exorcist. Father Dyer (Damian's Preist friend) in III has gray egg-beater hair and a round head, compared to the jut-jawed oval-shaped head with staight-haired-parted-on-the-side actor in the first one (useless trivia alert: the person who played that role is an actual Priest).

thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll watch them all consecutively after Chicago one weekend. That'll rock.

Andreas
07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
- Psycho (1960) -- in particular the cellar scene
- The Haunting (1962) -- the unhinged spiral staircase
- Carnival of Lost Souls (1962) -- the whole atmosphere gave me nightmares
- Jaws (1975) -- that and too many documentaries on jaw bites
- The Shining (1980) -- empty hotel floors still creep me out
- "99 & 44/100% Pure Horror" (http://www.tv.com/tales-from-the-crypt/99-and-44-100-pure-horror/episode/38897/reviews.html?review_id=216554) (Tales From the Crypt, 1995) -- if Psycho and the bath in Nightmare on Elm Street weren't enough, here's another scene that ruins the enjoyment of taking a shower
- Ringu (1998 ) -- made me look at the tv set suspiciously for a couple of weeks

I can totally see how Hellraiser and Poltergeist can creep you out. I literally fell asleep during Blair Witch Project, though. :surrend:

And, Brian D., did you already hear about Yeogo goedam 4: Moksori (Whispering Corridors 4: Voice, 2005)?

Andreas

Remember. The key words for tonight are 'caution' and 'flammable.' And 'watch your ass.'

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Exorcist 3 was a good movie but I don't think its better. It was a different kind of horror movie. I really wouldn't compare the two. The first was personal and was affecting a child and was pretty much in a closed space. Part 3 was more of a crime investigation, good movie though. Just not that scary.

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Exorcist 3 was a good movie but I don't think its better. It was a different kind of horror movie. I really wouldn't compare the two. The first was personal and was affecting a child and was pretty much in a closed space. Part 3 was more of a crime investigation, good movie though. Just not that scary.

Yes, it was.

FAbio was in it (as an angel in the dream sequence)

Back then, I had no clue who the guy was.

Now that I do, it makes that one of the scariest scenes in the film.

moonspider
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
night of the creeps

Dave Black
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Yes, it was.

FAbio was in it (as an angel in the dream sequence)

Back then, I had no clue who the guy was.

Now that I do, it makes that one of the scariest scenes in the film.
Fabio is the "Master of all thaat is EVIL" so I guess you are right.
I once saw Fabio bite the head off of a puppy and drink it's blood to replenish his immortality(and hair growth).

Shwicaz
07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
I once saw Fabio bite the head off of a puppy and drink it's blood to replenish his immortality(and hair growth).
Yeah, I heard after that bird flew into him, he had developed a 'thing' for bloody animals.

anyone find it funny that he was hit by a bird, and he once played in a movie where he was a guy with wings?

karma. exorcist shit going down.

moonspider
scared me.....well, the one movie that scared the shit outta me was the original dawn of the dead

Brian Defferding
And, Brian D., did you already hear about Yeogo goedam 4: Moksori (Whispering Corridors 4: Voice, 2005)?

Andreas

I haven't, I take it it's good?

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 09:18 AM
I still think Exorcist I is the greatest horror movie of all time, don't get me wrong. But I loved Exorcist III also.

Andreas
07-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I haven't, I take it it's good?

I haven't seen it either, but when I read about it I thought that its premise is somehow familiar.

Andreas

Brian Defferding
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
:lol: That's a great visual.

Wesley_C_Green
07-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I feel the way most people do who have posted already. I hardly get 'scared' by horror movies anymore. BUT I do get creeped out here and there. The kinda creeped out where you can't shake an image or feeling a horror flick gives you.

With that said, here's some that did just that to me...

SESSION 9- Great flick all the way around.
SUSPERIA- Kinda hit or miss but I'll never forget the scene where a door slowly creaks open, revealing that bloody girl with bulging eyes
EXORCIST- Enough said
BLAIR WITCH- One of the more original movie ideas in a while. I thought the second one wasn't too bad actually.
EVIL DEAD- When I first saw it, I was pretty spooked. But after listening to the commentaries by Raimi and Campbell, it's hard to watch now without laughing.
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD- Sheer classic
MAID IN MANHATTAN- Up there with EXORCIST and NOTLD for movies that sends shivers down my back when I think about them

Wesley

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Jacob's Latter, in all honesty, fucked me up.

i saw it when i was pretty young, and i shouldn't have.

then, i watched it again while on morphine, and i should not have done that either.

ckonanz
07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
What about sixth sense? I was very scared when I saw that movie and I was 23 already. When the room got cold and you see the two little kids walking in the rooms... that was scary shit

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Jacob's Latter, in all honesty, fucked me up.

i saw it when i was pretty young, and i shouldn't have.

then, i watched it again while on morphine, and i should not have done that either.
ooh yea, that was fucking nuts.

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
ooh yea, that was fucking nuts.

it really does freak me out, and i don't hear too many people talking about it.

: shudder :

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 10:17 AM
it really does freak me out, and i don't hear too many people talking about it.

: shudder :
well it doesn't scare me now since it had a sweet ending, but the first time, I was left feeling creeped out.

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:19 AM
hmm i don't even remember the ending.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
hmm i don't even remember the ending.
it ended up being that he was dead (or was supposed to have been dead) and he made peace with this realization and joined his dead son.

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
it ended up being that he was dead (or was supposed to have been dead) and he made peace with this realization and joined his dead son.

ooooh! yeah, that was great.

and it reminded me much how all the chiropractor stuff made me wince.

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
ooooh! yeah, that was great.

and it reminded me much how all the chiropractor stuff made me wince.
he was awesome.

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:28 AM
he was awesome.

oh he was, it was all that ... neck cracking stuff... makes me nervous..

Taki Soma
07-27-2006, 10:35 AM
oh he was, it was all that ... neck cracking stuff... makes me nervous..
I love it. I haven't been to one in a while... I could use a little adjustment.

I'm jonzing to see this movie again!

andrew french
07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I love it. I haven't been to one in a while... I could use a little adjustment.

I'm jonzing to see this movie again!

ha, i have the vhs somewhere.

i honestly don't know if i could take it.

and if it isn't as creepy to me when i'm under weird circumstances, i'd be disappointed.

caramba.

Ashton
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
one movie that creeped me out pretty good that I saw a couple years ago was Seance.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/18948.html?id=8u627nHw

chris page
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
event horizon freaked me the fuck out the first time i saw it, as my friend and i were the only two people in the theater, and we had to walk home that night when it was damn dark.

the first poltergeist got me, as did the original texas chainsaw massacre.

BURKE
07-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I have never been scared by a horror movie, i grew with an older sister during the 80's, it dont get much scarier than that. I would have to say that the original Poltergeist fucked me up a little............THAT GOD DAMN CLOWN.

Piechuck
07-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I hear Last House on the Left is pretty fucked up. Anyone see it?

Kensington
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I hear Last House on the Left is pretty fucked up. Anyone see it?On the whole, it doesn't work. It's too dated and too poorly done (bad acting, bad script, goofy 70s pretentiousness combined with incompetent cinematography). The rape scene at the center is, if I remember correctly, fairly effective for its brutality, but that's not enough to make it a decent horror film in my recommendation.

niceguyeddie
07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Ghostbusters scared me when I was a little kid. I had nightmares.

Nothing on film has scared me since. Apart from the little jump scares in some movies.

andrew french
07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I hear Last House on the Left is pretty fucked up. Anyone see it?

i've been really wanting to see that.

my dad just told me when he was my age he went downtown with some friends to see it, and that it was indeed fucked up.

i heard the original vhs releases were edited... something about a knife carving..

monkeyboy
07-27-2006, 09:16 PM
The only horror movie that actually scared me was Pumpkin Head, just because it was my first in a theater, and i was expecting it to be so much worse than it really was. But other than that, i'm still looking for a SCARY horror movie. But if you want one just to make your stomach turn, try Cabin Fever or Ichi The Killer. Those got to me a little.

Scotty
07-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Halloween is awesome.

I also like the Exorcist and the Exorcist III

oh and the Changeling. No gore no nothing but cool camera shots sounds and a the scarriest fucking rubberball you'll ever seen.

Matthew Brown
07-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Leprechaun scared me once when I was a kid.

"I wants me gold."

Brian Defferding
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
I feel the way most people do who have posted already. I hardly get 'scared' by horror movies anymore. BUT I do get creeped out here and there. The kinda creeped out where you can't shake an image or feeling a horror flick gives you.

With that said, here's some that did just that to me...

SESSION 9- Great flick all the way around.
SUSPERIA- Kinda hit or miss but I'll never forget the scene where a door slowly creaks open, revealing that bloody girl with bulging eyes
EXORCIST- Enough said
BLAIR WITCH- One of the more original movie ideas in a while. I thought the second one wasn't too bad actually.
EVIL DEAD- When I first saw it, I was pretty spooked. But after listening to the commentaries by Raimi and Campbell, it's hard to watch now without laughing.
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD- Sheer classic
MAID IN MANHATTAN- Up there with EXORCIST and NOTLD for movies that sends shivers down my back when I think about them

Wesley

Just wanted to say welcome to the board, Wes!

gwyllgi
07-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Movies that have scared me:

When I was a kid:
Night of the Living Dead (I was 2 or 3)
Child's Play (5)
Poltergeist (4)
Nightmare on Elm Street (4 or 5)
Halloween

As a teenager/adult:
The Ring
Halloween (after my BF pointed out all the spots where you can see Michael Myers)
Ju-On: The Grudge
Ring 0
Session 9
The Descent
The Blair Witch Project

gwyllgi
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
event horizon freaked me the fuck out the first time i saw it, as my friend and i were the only two people in the theater, and we had to walk home that night when it was damn dark.

the first poltergeist got me, as did the original texas chainsaw massacre.

I fucking hated Event Horizon. I was expecting SO much more from that movie, it made me so angry I couldn't finish it.

Brandon191
07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Jason Vorhees and the clown from Steven Speiberg's "It" scarred the living shit out of me when I was a kid. Thinking about them while I was trying to sleep kept me awake many of nights.

monkeyboy
07-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Jason Vorhees and the clown from Steven Speiberg's "It" scarred the living shit out of me when I was a kid. Thinking about them while I was trying to sleep kept me awake many of nights.

It wasn't Speilberg! It was Stephen King!

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
07-29-2006, 12:06 AM
My top 3 favorites:

The Shining
Alien
The Exorcist

chris page
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
I fucking hated Event Horizon. I was expecting SO much more from that movie, it made me so angry I couldn't finish it.

i was lucky in that i had absolutely no expectations. my friends and i like to watch shitty horror movies just to laugh, and we were fully expecting that with this flick. actually came off a little freakier than we thought it would.

now blair witch pissed me off. (pissed my friend off more, as he was so mad he threw his hat at the screen and lost it)

Brandon191
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
It wasn't Speilberg! It was Stephen King!

Shit! Of course I knew that. Why the fuck did I say Speilberg? :Oops: :lol:

monkeyboy
07-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Shit! Of course I knew that. Why the fuck did I say Speilberg? :Oops: :lol:

Sorry man. Wasn't trying to be an ass. Just didn't want some kid seeing that and going,"Wow! Spielberg did that too?!" Even though most of his movies suck, King's books are still some pretty good reads.

Brandon191
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry man. Wasn't trying to be an ass. Just didn't want some kid seeing that and going,"Wow! Spielberg did that too?!" Even though most of his movies suck, King's books are still some pretty good reads.

I never thought you were being an ass, I was just in amazement in how big of a mistake that was.

monkeyboy
07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I never thought you were being an ass, I was just in amazement in how big of a mistake that was.

It's all good then. Just saw Ichi The Killer, and i have to say that it was, interesting. Odd in some places but still interesting. i still can't get over that fucker all dressed up like a Power Ranger.