PDA

View Full Version : Yates not guilty by reason of insanity

Doug
07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/26/yates.trial.ap/index.html

Fuck her and her insanity. She should be locked up in a small cell for the wrest of her life.

I don't want her getting treatment, I want her getting meals on a tray shoved through a small hole in the door.

RickM
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Oh my.

Why can't we come up with some other category, like "Guilty and also insane." Because both are true -- she is guilty, and she has severe mental problems. Can't we recognize both truths?

Taki Soma
07-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Oh my.

Why can't we come up with some other category, like "Guilty and also insane." Because both are true -- she is guilty, and she has severe mental problems. Can't we recognize both truths?
good point.

Jim T.
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh my.

Some jurisidictions have a "guilty but mentally ill" verdict - I kind of recall that's what John Hinckley ended up with. Same result - you go into a mental hospital.

Generic Poster
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh my.

Not guilty by reason of insanity does do this, essentially. She'll still be locked up the rest of her life, just in an institution rather than a jail.

joeyart
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
It's not like she's getting set free...living in a mental asylum can't be a lot of fun...and this is the kind of crime that's gonn make most any judge take a long time to make sure she's actually better.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
She strap her in a car and drop her in the lake...

Brian Defferding
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't know how they could find her insane.

RickM
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Not guilty by reason of insanity does do this, essentially. She'll still be locked up the rest of her life, just in an institution rather than a jail.

Yes, but don't some of them (Hinckley, Mark David Chapman) start making noise years later that they're "cured", and since they're "not guilty," they should go free? I think its that possibility down the road that some judge will say "he/she is fine now, thanks to the meds and therapy" that gets people worked up.

I don't see why you can't help people through mental illness and at the same time hold them responsible. Its only in the last 60 or so years that we've decided some people aren't responsible for their actions.

Relaunched
07-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Every three years she'll be up for review by a judge who considers ONLY if she is a threat to herself or other people. Since being institutionalized is not punitive, her past crimes cannot be used against her in this process.

Considering some judges have let child molesters on the streets because they are too wee for prison, it's kind of up in the air on how long she'll actually be in there.

Doug
07-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Its only in the last 60 or so years that we've decided some people aren't responsible for their actions.

Exactly.

Even if she is batshit insane she should be held responsible for her actions.

And can we do something about her ex-husband as well?

Some testified about her two hospitalizations after suicide attempts in 1999, not long after her fourth child was born. At the time, the family lived in a converted bus. Dr. Eileen Starbranch, a psychiatrist, again testified about how she warned Yates and her husband not to have more children because her postpartum psychosis would probably return.

He still wanted to have another child with this monster after that? Fuck him too.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Do you know how rare it is for somebody to get off by reason of insanity? We don't need any other categories.

Mental hospitals for murderers aren't exactly day spas.

adamgreenberger
07-26-2006, 11:29 AM
This is fucking unbelieveable...she should be in fucking jail...not in some institution that she can get out of when someone decides that she is cured.

tstouder
07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
They should have home movies of those poor kids playing 24/7 so she will always be haunted by their faces.

Nelson
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I think it was the proper verdict.

james michael
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
She strap her in a car and drop her in the lake...
wrong baby killer...

BigButtPanda
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
It's not like she's getting set free...living in a mental asylum can't be a lot of fun...and this is the kind of crime that's gonn make most any judge take a long time to make sure she's actually better.

...though if you read the article it says she'll have periodic checkups on her mental status. If they decide later that she's somehow mentally fit later, does she get set free or put in a regular prison?

adamgreenberger
07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
...though if you read the article it says she'll have periodic checkups on her mental status. If they decide later that she's somehow mentally fit later, does she get set free or put in a regular prison?

She would be set free...if I understand Guily by reason if insanity

adamgreenberger
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I think it was the proper verdict.

care to explain?? She needs to be in jail just like the Scott Peterson...in fact for what she did she deserved the death penalty...you don't kill childern...especially your own.

GelfXIII
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I dunno. Sounds to me like they reached the right decision. Also sounds like Mr. Yates could use some time on a couch as well.

BigButtPanda
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
She would be set free...if I understand Guily by reason if insanity

That's what I thought. Seriously messed up. Her time in a psychiatric ward wouldn't be fun, but also most likely won't be for life. They better tie her tubes while she's in there so she doesn't breed a new bunch and drown them too. Crap like this pisses me off more than I can say. Aaarrrgh!

Ray G.
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I think she's probably insane, but she should never be let out of the institution, and that's what worries me.

james michael
07-26-2006, 01:04 PM
care to explain?? She needs to be in jail just like the Scott Peterson...in fact for what she did she deserved the death penalty...you don't kill childern...especially your own.
nobodys life is worth more or less than anyone elses...

adamgreenberger
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
nobodys life is worth more or less than anyone elses...

no but she seserves to be in JAIL for the rest of her life...she is lucky as hell to not be in jail and even luckier that she wasn't found guily and sentenced to death.

Kensington
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
nobodys life is worth more or less than anyone elses...I would say that no one's life is inherently worth more or less than someone else's. However, what one does with their life adds or subtracts worth from its value. Consequently, while I don't believe a child's life is inherently worth more, it certainly can be worth more.

james michael
07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
no but she seserves to be in JAIL for the rest of her life...she is lucky as hell to not be in jail and even luckier that she wasn't found guily and sentenced to death.
it has nothing to do with luck...
twelve people got together and decided that she was insane when it happened, and that she is still insane...
shes going to a mental institution where she will get medication and treatment, until it is deemed she is no longer a threat to herself or others...
maybe she really is just an evil person who deserves to die, or maybe shes a nutjob whos not in control of her faculties...
either way, it is what it is...

Nelson
07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
care to explain??
It's just my opinion, based on what I know of the facts in the case.
I believe she was insane when she killed her children, and letting her rot in prison isn't going to do her or anyone else any good.
It seems a lot of people would like to do just that, instead of helping her and trying to find out exactly why she did what she did.

Again, just my opinion.

xyzzy
07-26-2006, 05:28 PM
So do all of you people who think this is so outrageous not believe there should be an insanity or diminished capicity defense at all?

I think a lot of you guys are letting your emotions get in the way and are not thinking this through.

james michael
07-26-2006, 05:36 PM
So do all of you people who think this is so outrageous not believe there should be an insanity or diminished capicity defense at all?

I think a lot of you guys are letting your emotions get in the way and are not thinking this through.
theyre not completely wrong though...
there is no guarantee that when she gets out, that she will continue taking medications, or whatever, and not repeat what she did...
its a valid fear...

Princesa
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
I feel this is just wrong...you could argue any murderer is crazy...that the act of murder itself shows insanity. I want her in jail doing hard time.

xyzzy
07-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I feel this is just wrong...you could argue any murderer is crazy...that the act of murder itself shows insanity. I want her in jail doing hard time.

The legal defense goes far beyond just being "crazy."

King of Mars
07-26-2006, 05:43 PM
I think she's probably insane, but she should never be let out of the institution, and that's what worries me.Exactly. I'm against the death penalty and favor rehabilitation in even the worst of cases but there are certain crimes that should definitely result in a permanent loss of freedom. This is one of them. I hope this verdict doesn't open up the possibility of her eventually walking free.